City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

On what grounds are they being allowed to compete this whole time with everything hanging over them?

Im yet to find a single blue who’ll call this out, even now they’ve more or less admitted breaking the rules. They’re like Trump supporters at this point.

It all feels like a desperate last attempt to derail the league’s case, and I hope they Get the worst possible punishment.
They really are.

Scrolling through Bluemoon reading their posts is basically just the same as scrolling through pro-Trump social media... you just swap out the proper noun.

On what grounds are they being allowed to compete this whole time with everything hanging over them?

It's not grounds as such but the PL makes all their money from TV rights and sponsorships so I imagine they've a lot of contracted responsibility around delivering a certain product over a certain period of time. I doubt they think it worthwhile rocking any boats before it's actually done

If for instance City were suspended and therefore less games were played no doubt the TV companies would be looking for some recompense /rebate from the league

Maybe I dunno tbh

that won't make any difference.
[/QUOTE]
It’s a start. If you just subscribe to the view people can cheat no matter what, what’s the point of posting here? Because whatever anyone says, it will be true that there will be a way around it.

This is a bigger issue though, because the reality is there is no way to ensure any owner isn't circumventing the rules, regardless of a salary cap. Nothing stopping an owner or shareholder offering a % of a fund they own or some random asset they own to a player via a string of companies that we couldn't trace.

What we should have is complete transparency of accounts, easier said than done, where as soon as you enter the PL you have to publicize all finances related to the club. Should just have a website like the Skateetaten one in Norway

It is a lot more difficult for a company operating in the US, UK or other western country to hide money from financial authorities that regulate them.

HMRC and Inland Revenue can audit companies operating here and even if money is paid to offshore accounts, there will be a trail for where it originated.

There is also the question of stakeholders in these companies who will want to know where money is being siphoned off to.

State owned clubs can present what they like to such regulators and authorities. Unless they are thick enough to get caught doing what City have done for the 115 charges, there is literally no way any authority can demand access to Abu Dhabi held business accounts and banks.

Their stakeholders are themselves. This is a sportswashing enterprise and they care little for what it costs.

It is a lot more difficult for a company operating in the US, UK or other western country to hide money from financial authorities that regulate them.

HMRC and Inland Revenue can audit companies operating here and even if money is paid to offshore accounts, there will be a trail for where it originated.

There is also the question of stakeholders in these companies who will want to know where money is being siphoned off to.

State owned clubs can present what they like to such regulators and authorities. Unless they are thick enough to get caught doing what City have done for the 115 charges, there is literally no way any authority can demand access to Abu Dhabi held business accounts and banks.

Their stakeholders are themselves. This is a sportswashing enterprise and they care little for what it costs.
Yes of course, it’s much easier for a state owned club but it’s possible for any owner to do this, often there’d be no trail at all to follow.

Reading what Khaldoon Al Mubarak has said about it all, he wants City to win everything, every year for the rest of eternity.
He isn’t interested in ‘competition’. Wants to be able to outspend everyone else in some noble pissing contest.
It’s abhorrent and the sooner they are thrown out of the EPL the better.
If they want a one horse race every year, they can go and do it in their own country.
There’s nothing racist in that. We would all just like our national game back.

The scale of the corruption when it finally comes out will shock everyone.
I'm not sure the level of corruption will ever be truly discovered. They are going to hinder any investigation & just throw money at lawyers.
Peps achievements will be forever tainted by the cheating ownership. Just kick them out and get it over with !!!

Reading what Khaldoon Al Mubarak has said about it all, he wants City to win everything, every year for the rest of eternity.
He isn’t interested in ‘competition’. Wants to be able to outspend everyone else in some noble pissing contest.
It’s abhorrent and the sooner they are thrown out of the EPL the better.
If they want a one horse race every year, they can go and do it in their own country.
There’s nothing racist in that. We would all just like our national game back.
Doesn't surprise me. He's a rich baby, born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He'll never have to fight for anything he has so he thinks he can just buy anything he wants. Spoilt brat wants to spoil everyone else's good times.

I'm not sure the level of corruption will ever be truly discovered. They are going to hinder any investigation & just throw money at lawyers.
Peps achievements will be forever tainted by the cheating ownership. Just kick them out and get it over with !!!
Pep‘s achievements won’t be tainted by the cheating ownership. It is tainted because he himself took part in all the cheating. He’s not at a club that happens to cheat, he’s at that club because it cheats and he wants to cheat with them. He is among the people with the most guilt. He’s the face of their whole operation. Him being there is as much about his coaching skills as it is about him selling them his name and image. He’s not a coach. He’s a brand ambassador who happens to be a coach as well.

Pep‘s achievements won’t be tainted by the cheating ownership. It is tainted because he himself took part in all the cheating. He’s not at a club that happens to cheat, he’s at that club because it cheats and he wants to cheat with them. He is among the people with the most guilt. He’s the face of their whole operation. Him being there is as much about his coaching skills as it is about him selling them his name and image. He’s not a coach. He’s a brand ambassador who happens to be a coach as well.

This.

Something I don't get about the City project is why they have to continue to dominate football for the project to be seen by the owners as a success?

I've asked this too, I can't see what city does for them now. They wanted to put themselves on the map and make people more aware of Abu Dhabi. They've done that, they've won 8 titles and a treble by cheating. So from here on out it's only going to bring negative PR.

Hopefully this all ends with them having to sell up.

Beginning to think the final outcome of this might actually be City fully expelled from the football league as voted for by the football league as their dominance through cheating is putting the league’s reputation and competitive model at risk.

Beginning to think the final outcome of this might actually be City fully expelled from the football league as voted for by the football league as their dominance through cheating is putting the league’s reputation and competitive model at risk.

I just dont see this happening.

My god that would be hilarious.

Basically make themselves into a national pariah

Do they have any prospect of joining a Super League? I don’t think it even looks realistic to see them competing in a lower league…
By the way.. The answer to why they have to dominate, I suspect, is that the state entity is persuaded that they are winning friends by winning. It’s not propaganda in the old fashioned sense; it’s raw power.

I've asked this too, I can't see what city does for them now. They wanted to put themselves on the map and make people more aware of Abu Dhabi. They've done that, they've won 8 titles and a treble by cheating. So from here on out it's only going to bring negative PR.

Hopefully this all ends with them having to sell up.

They’re effectively trying to take over football. Buying up clubs, monopolising the youth system, and projecting sporting dominance to build the brand, becoming the leading name in global football (Abu Dhabi and City Group that is, not City the club). Before long there would probably be all-star exhibition matches in the UAE and some special league or tournament out there. We’ve seen similar plays in golf and boxing. They’re not really interested in competition, just trying to basically take ownership of it all.

https://x.com/SamJDean/status/1798356965988634782?t=m9FOL-WgamIxSJ2r5x0yRQ&s=19

Don't think I can post Twitter posts but City post says

"In the decade from 2009 to 2019, the big clubs all enjoyed a healthy rise in commercial revenues.

Arsenal: £48m to £111m (131%)
Chelsea: £53m to £185m (249%)
Liverpool: £68m to £186m (174%)
United: £70m to £280m (300%)
City: £18m to £230m (1177%)
"

Nothing to see here.

FFP plus a wage cap is literally all that’s needed.

that’s not enforceable. these state owned clubs can proxy money through their countries with no way of the premier league ever knowing.

that’s not enforceable. these state owned clubs can proxy money through their countries with no way of the premier league ever knowing.
Exactly. It’s not the rules that are the problem; it’s the circumvention by any means necessary.

As Franny Lee once said, “if there was a cup for cock-ups, City would win it every season.”

Let’s hope this version of City returns.

I'm not sure what the first two paragraphs have to do with what I said and they definitely aren't relevant to the legal challenge.

City definitely won't be arguing a case of racism or xenophobia unless they want to get laughed out of court. Cpurts rely on evidence not baseless slandering. They will be arguing that the newly introduced rules have been brought in specifically to target them and are therefore discriminatory, which is a fair argument but then that's because they are the only team exploiting loopholes in the existing rules. Or at least they'll hope they are because if everyone was doing it they'd have no case at all.

it's quite childish really. The PL imposes rules via a voting system from its members who City are one of. If every time one party doesn't like the result of a vote they get the courts involved, there's not much point making any new rules at all unless you get all 20 clubs to agree, which would never happen.

They should probably steer clear of arguments like "we'll have to spend less money on stuff like the community" as well because that's completely irrelevant and just makes it look like they are resorting to blackmail tactics because their case is weak.

All this status quo stuff is boring and makes no sense. The current status quo is that City win the league every year while other teams are restricted from competing due to ffp. Even with the new rules City are in a better position than most (at least until their charges hearing/verdict). When all this mess they've created ends up causing enough damage to drag the European super league back from the dead they'll soon change their tune and jump back on board with that as well.

It just that you mentioned the spirit of FFP, you seriously think it is in place for the long term sustainability of football clubs?

Breaking news: It’s setup to keep a cartel in place, and is heavily influenced by that same cartel. Correlation of success to revenue and spend is almost 1. The cartel is locking all revenue at double / triple everyone else and restricting investment of others. You want to swap one immoral / unethical means for another, for your own benefit.

I doubt a lot of FFP will be enforceable legally, express terms in contracts, like FFP rules, that violate laws of the land / European laws are unenforceable. I can see this going all the way to the high courts and the premier league being laughed at.

As for unfounded claims? City’s lawyers clearly think they have a case for discrimination. The racism and xenophobia, I’m sure Klopp was accused of it and that’s the tip of the iceberg.

Very well said:+1:

Quite an interesting bit of insight into City's legal action. This plus reading other bits and bobs around it makes me think that City are truly beyond fecked, even if they somehow win this case.

Só here we are then. It’s either expulsion from the league, or the demise of the Premier League.

I hope the likes of Neville are happy after defending and legitimizing this bizarre facade for so long.

Do they have any prospect of joining a Super League? I don’t think it even looks realistic to see them competing in a lower league…
By the way.. The answer to why they have to dominate, I suspect, is that the state entity is persuaded that they are winning friends by winning. It’s not propaganda in the old fashioned sense; it’s raw power.
I wish they would join the Saudi league, spend what the heck they want a nd win their next 50 titles.

Them suing the PL seems like they know they’re fecked and just going down swinging. They’ve spent years denying all this shit - they may aswell throw one last hail mary

I'm still trying to work out how the big traditional clubs are monopolising football.... given, as I pointed out earlier, the title has only been won twice by United, Liverpool and Arsenal in the last 11 years. I'm leaving out Chelsea because their successes are almost as corrupt as City's

I hope the likes of Neville are happy after defending and legitimizing this bizarre facade for so long.
Neville's morals are for sale. He went from criticising Qatar to doing a fecking advert promoting the hotels during the World Cup. He's an idiot.