City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

At this point the Premier League cannot afford to have its champion be seen as a tainted winner. These charges will never stick and if they do, at most City will get a financial punishment. In 20 years time no one will really care about the charges and will simply remember Pep winning 6 out 7 titles.
6 out of 7? I really don't see anything stoping them to make it 9 out of 10 or more.

Yes, it's incredibly hard to fudge transfer figures because there's a club on the other side

Total expenditure? That's different

A whole load of auxiliary costs that should be accounted for in FPTP, but are subsidiarised away. Like Mancini getting paid more for a few days non-football work than a year's wages as City manager. Like Haaland being bought for a bargain 60 million or so, with at least that number again in agent and other fees, plus probably half his wages accounted away Mancini style. Like City getting huge sponsorships from companies that have no business. Like City's subsidiary clubs signing players that barely step foot in their new club before being moved on to suit City.

A whole load of auxiliary costs that should be accounted for in FPTP, but are subsidiarised away. Like Mancini getting paid more for a few days non-football work than a year's wages as City manager. Like Haaland being bought for a bargain 60 million or so, with at least that number again in agent and other fees, plus probably half his wages accounted away Mancini style. Like City getting huge sponsorships from companies that have no business. Like City's subsidiary clubs signing players that barely step foot in their new club before being moved on to suit City.

Wages and all this stuff aren't factored into net spend. Net spend is a simple calculation.

Wonder what the chances of an Armstrong like punishment and them getting stripped of their titles actually are, because no more Treble and no more four peat would be hilarious.

To quote Vince McMahon "No chance in hell"

At this point, I would blame the Premier League more than City for creating and not resolving this situation with City. How can you accuse someone of cheating and yet still allow them in the competition and they continue to win said competition. Such loss of credibility for the league.

The prem need two trophies. The City eternal permanent champions (light blue oil-covered seabird in expensive plastic) and the old silver/pewter one for whoever comes second.

At this point, I would blame the Premier League more than City for creating and not resolving this situation with City. How can you accuse someone of cheating and yet still allow them in the competition and they continue to win said competition. Such loss of credibility for the league.

Exactly. They just don't have the balls to do it. This is not just a simple breach of FFP like Everton or Forest. It is an accusation of fradulent reporting and refusal to cooperate.
If something of this nature happen in a workplace, I am pretty sure the standard operating procedure is to suspend the employee until he or she has cooperated and cleared the accusation. No company will allow that employee to continue working, getting promotions and bonuses for years. It is a joke in the way they handled the whole situation.

The Premier League are going to be damned if they do, and damned if they don't at this point.

For them to have any credibility whatsoever, City need to he handed a huge punishment. The problem is, that would seem almost like an admittance from the PL that we might as well have not bothered playing the last seven seasons.

Nope, you're in a bubble if you think most fans care at all. I reckon most casual PL fans don't even know what FFP is.
I reckon most match going fans will know City have been accused of cheating.

They will also know Everton etc have been docked points and City haven't (yet).

I think you underestimate the scale.

Verdict next spring. It will be done in the time of a Labour government. Will probably stick. Will probably be a harsh punishment. Will take them years to recover. Will be Pep gone.

If we see Pep leave this summer, the hammer may be coming down them, but unfortunately my money is still on not much happening.

Is Pep trying to point 115 with his fingers?
115-Copy.jpg

There will be question marks. It's a shame for the players, as they actually won those titles and produced some great football.

These things are a lot worse when there's actual evidence of match fixing or PEDS use.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Moving this here to continue discussion since talking about Pep generally but it really is a mess. Not just for the City players but for every club in the league. It's not as black and white as oh give the titles to whoever came 2nd etc. because the whole fabric of the league would have changed without an alleged doped up City. Who knows if Liverpool would have won more, if United would have managed to nab one or if Arsenal would have won the last two, everything would have changed and the league would look very different.

Moving this here to continue discussion since talking about Pep generally but it really is a mess. Not just for the City players but for every club in the league. It's not as black and white as oh give the titles to whoever came 2nd etc. because the whole fabric of the league would have changed without an alleged doped up City. Who knows if Liverpool would have won more, if United would have managed to nab one or if Arsenal would have won the last two, everything would have changed and the league would look very different.

The recent clamp down has definitely made clubs sit up and take notice. After seeing how Everton and Forest were punished.

Newcastle have been quite patient since the takeover in 2021. In the past, a rich club would have spent close to a billion by now to bridge the gap. They're trying to balance the books better by selling the likes of ASM and Chris Wood for good fees. Avoid getting into trouble. I'm sure they'd love to sign a world class player or two.

Chelsea spent like crazy when Abramovich arrived at Chelsea. City were throwing money around for furn during the early days under Hughes and Mancini. Less strategic.

With all those likes, why not mention a single example?

Faking sponsor income is easy. Underreporting wage costs is doable. Doing some FFP juggling with transfer fees is easy when players go both ways, like with Danilo/Cancelo, Pjanic/Arthur or Oshimen/randoms. Actually hiding transfer fees is incredibly hard, because why on earth would the other clubs play along?

With all those likes, why not mention a single example?

Faking sponsor income is easy. Underreporting wage costs is doable. Doing some FFP juggling with transfer fees is easy when players go both ways, like with Danilo/Cancelo, Pjanic/Arthur or Oshimen/randoms. Actually hiding transfer fees is incredibly hard, because why on earth would the other clubs play along?
You're looking at it wrong, I suspect.

Strip it back to the important people in a transfer. The selling club's owner is most important, then agents and players. If we accept the latter two are quite easy to control with money, then you focus on the former.

Example, let's say City "hid" the transfer fee for player x. The official fee that is going to be reported is the same amount that the club received officially from City (that is what FFP look at) but then why is the owner of that club accepting a fee that seems quite good for City? City's owners can just add something on top, there's no way anyone, apart from the owner, would know as long as that money originates within the UAE because it's completely closed off. "See this new $300m solar development in UAE, here's 2%"...how would anyone ever find that out?

If we see Pep leave this summer, the hammer may be coming down them, but unfortunately my money is still on not much happening.

Pep will stay as long as he wants. He is not just a manager there. He has financial and business relations with city group. His brother has partial ownership in Girona. It is nıt just management, it is much more than that for him.

You're looking at it wrong, I suspect.

Strip it back to the important people in a transfer. The selling club's owner is most important, then agents and players. If we accept the latter two are quite easy to control with money, then you focus on the former.

Example, let's say City "hid" the transfer fee for player x. The official fee that is going to be reported is the same amount that the club received officially from City (that is what FFP look at) but then why is the owner of that club accepting a fee that seems quite good for City? City's owners can just add something on top, there's no way anyone, apart from the owner, would know as long as that money originates within the UAE because it's completely closed off. "See this new $300m solar development in UAE, here's 2%"...how would anyone ever find that out?

Usually there is no "the owner". I don't know which deals are supposed to be suspect, but e.g. Akanji was pretty cheap relative to performance. The biggest shareholder owns 8 % of the club, while 2/3rds of the shares are free float. That's a huge amount of people to bribe, or alternatively you have to bribe the people closest to transfer dealings while simultaneously hoping that no one questions the fact that they're damaging the club.

Alvarez was considered pretty cheap, although he hasn't had the best year so I'm not sure how true that is anymore. River Plate is owned by fans/members, so that's no go. Once again you would have to corrupt some sort of transfer team, though I don't know how they decide, without raising suspicions.

Bernando Silva, perhaps? €50m-70m, depending on who you believe. Monaco is owned 1/3 by the House of Grimaldi, which would be a challenge. 2/3 by Dmitry Rybolovlev. Most doable so far, but still.

All this is also just looking at buyer/seller in isolation. It would also be extremely important that no other club would be willing to pay a transfer fee equal to or bigger than the official fee, because if that happened everyone would instantly notice that something is wrong.

He won’t leave this summer, as there is no indication of a ruling from the league anytime soon. Rest assured he is a coward and will leave if and when the hammer comes down on city.

Wonder if the allegations will hinder them in the next transfer window. I know money talks, but would a player want to join them if they could potentially be relegated before the next season begins? (Wishful thinking I know).

Usually there is no "the owner". I don't know which deals are supposed to be suspect, but e.g. Akanji was pretty cheap relative to performance. The biggest shareholder owns 8 % of the club, while 2/3rds of the shares are free float. That's a huge amount of people to bribe, or alternatively you have to bribe the people closest to transfer dealings while simultaneously hoping that no one questions the fact that they're damaging the club.

Alvarez was considered pretty cheap, although he hasn't had the best year so I'm not sure how true that is anymore. River Plate is owned by fans/members, so that's no go. Once again you would have to corrupt some sort of transfer team, though I don't know how they decide, without raising suspicions.

Bernando Silva, perhaps? €50m-70m, depending on who you believe. Monaco is owned 1/3 by the House of Grimaldi, which would be a challenge. 2/3 by Dmitry Rybolovlev. Most doable so far, but still.

All this is also just looking at buyer/seller in isolation. It would also be extremely important that no other club would be willing to pay a transfer fee equal to or bigger than the official fee, because if that happened everyone would instantly notice that something is wrong.

I find it interesting that City are rarely pulled into protracted transfer sagas or come up against clubs playing hard-ball with them. Kane I guess is one, I can’t remember many others though. Considering they are the richest club in the world in terms of backing, and heavily active in the transfer market, they rarely get taken to the cleaners on players like many other big clubs do. It’s always very quick, clean, and economical.

There’s very rarely any talk of their players agitating for moves or bigger wages, either.

It’s always been a curious thing

Last para, they are good sized fees anyway and, from what I can see, City always pay in full so no one will be outbidding them. Also, in the event a club comes out and says 'Hey, we offered more but they said no', the answer is quite obvious, the club just says the player said no. Re owner, it just means whoever is the most senior single decision maker, so in River's case likely the CEO. I'm not saying this has happened, I suspect it probably has early on but more with agents and players, but it would be incredibly easy for them to do with how opaque the UAE is for anyone trying to probe their finances.

This goes for all clubs in fairness, it's not unique to City, it's just next to impossible to do for most because it would be visible in some form. The issue with a state run team where the state has no interest in making all it's financial interests public (and even then they could just omit whatever they wanted) is what can you do? What can the PL do? You could literally get a der spiegel leak showing City gifted Alfie Haaland £200m in real estate in the UAE and nothing would happen because the info was obtained illegally and they will just completely refuse to cooperate.

All I really want to know is why City have 35 charges of failing to comply with investigations?
Like honestly, is there anyone who is innocent that doesn't comply with investigations regarding whether they've done something illegal?

City is like the corrupt politicians in many countries. We know that they had done many dodgy things but it's not easy to prove as they are in power.

Is it true the European ban was suspended? Ideal so they could finally win it.

UEFA found them guilty, City took it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and they overturned the ruling. Reason? Because UEFA has a time limit to when they could charge City and CAS ruled that the time had gone past. So they got away with it due to a technicality, a technicality they caused by not cooperating with UEFA in a timely manner.

Hope they will be eventually been proven guilty in court and suffer the same fate as Lance Armstrong. A disgrace and striped off all titles. Cheating is cheating and should be punished severely.