City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

I don't care about them spending money, the problem is how their owners got the money into the club via fake sponsorships, they're boosting the revenue to get around FFP meaning they have an unfair advantage over every other club that is following the rules
It's crooked. It has worked for them, get the money in fair means or foul, build your club, become successful and in the end the media mainly have forgotten how it started.

First off: I don't like Manchester City and I think they are a, sportswashing, plastic club.
I do not know how many or which breaches they will be found guilty of.

I do know however think that they have been spending wisely (although spending a lot) the last decade and that they have been brilliantly managed. Spending a lot more wisely than us and managed a lot better than us. Our lack of success on the football pitch compared to them has not been down to them spending more.

Net spent the last 10 years (from transfermarkt):
Manchester United - 1.187M
Manchester City - 982M

Net spent for other top clubs in Europe the last 10 years:
Chelsea - 860M
PSG - 825M
Arsenal - 791M
Barca - 620M
Spurs - 475M
Liverpool - 381M
Real Madrid - 130M (!)

Net spent the last 5 years (from Transfermarkt):
Manchester United - 612M (Spending big on players like Fred, Maguire, Sancho (might still be a good one), AWB, DvB, Antony (95M !!!) along with some good ones and letting players like: Herrera, Pogba, Lingard (who was valued at 40M for a couple of seasons), Sanchez etc. run their contracts down or force their way out for free) Letting Ronaldo, Zlatan, Sanchez, Cavani, Pogba etc. totally blow up our wage structure at the same time.
Manchester City - 258M (despite transfers like Grealish, Haaland, Dias, Ake, Phillips, Rodri, Cancelo and Mahrez in, who were all "expensive" - The did good business with departures like: Sterling, Sane, Jesus, Zinchenko, Danilo, Torres, Otamendi, Douglas Luiz, Diaz, Angelino, Harrison etc.)

We need proof to claim anything off the books.

We have bought short term "stop gaps" with high wages and expensive gambles while they have bought and got rid with more success.

I'm not a fan of a super league and I don't think City should be relegated, so if City is found guilty of the breaches they are accused of I hope they get points deducted (around 30 points) and a minimum 2 year transfer ban.
Let's see how it ends, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them worm out of it and walk with little more than a slap on the wrist.

I see people saying this a lot. Can we just caveat the net spend with the likelyhood that their net spend is likely a total lie. Considering how many underhand and off the books payments they are making to staff and who knows who else. They're obviously not accurately reporting their income and expenditure.

Let me save you the time - nothing is going to happen in this case. No penalties, no large fines, no point reductions. Nothing. And you know it.

I see people saying this a lot. Can we just caveat the net spend with the likelyhood that their net spend is likely a total lie. Considering how many underhand and off the books payments they are making to staff and who knows who else. They're obviously not accurately reporting their income and expenditure.

The Ferran Torres transfer to Barcelona was incredibly dubious.

A £50 million fee for a nothing player and the money to pay for it was secured by a loan from an overseas account.

The Ferran Torres transfer to Barcelona was incredibly dubious.

A £50 million fee for a nothing player and the money to pay for it was secured by a loan from an overseas account.

I agree. Also, the fact they were supposedly dying to buy him and City never sell unless they want to but now suddenly barca are happy to sell him a season later.

Let me save you the time - nothing is going to happen in this case. No penalties, no large fines, no point reductions. Nothing. And you know it.

There's too much at stake for the FA. Slapping City with a heavy punishment - relegation, stripping titles and so on - would damage the PL brand so much that the whole edifice might crumble. Same with UEFA and their brand.

There's too much at stake for the FA. Slapping City with a heavy punishment - relegation, stripping titles and so on - would damage the PL brand so much that the whole edifice might crumble. Same with UEFA and their brand.
If they win the treble year after year that could be as damaging.

I think someone needs to look in to the operations of City Football Group as a whole as well to see if any wrong doing is going on, there is an Agentinian player called Taty Catellanos who has been passed around between 3 different CFG clubs so far and will probably end up joing Man City for a ludicrously low fee in the near future.

I see people saying this a lot. Can we just caveat the net spend with the likelyhood that their net spend is likely a total lie.
What about it is a lie, the sales? The fees paid for players seem fine. High, even.

What about it is a lie, the sales? The fees paid for players seem fine. High, even.

The fact that it doesnt include the massive agents fees, signing on fees, and intermeadiary fees they have paid makes it meaningless and it wouldnt suprise me if those fees added up to another billion on top of what was spent on transfer fees.

It’s the payments they make and wages they pay that aren’t recorded in the books. Things like paying Haalands Dad a big fee that doesn’t show up as part of the transfer fee. Paying wages to players that aren’t included in their official accounts.

Just look at the wages we had to pay Alexis Sanchez to get him to come to us over them. Yet a number of their players are on very modest salaries. When does a city player ever have a drawn out contract renewal? Why isn’t Ederson demanding to be paid what the best paid goalkeepers in the world get paid?

It’s the payments they make and wages they pay that aren’t recorded in the books. Things like paying Haalands Dad a big fee that doesn’t show up as part of the transfer fee. Paying wages to players that aren’t included in their official accounts.

Just look at the wages we had to pay Alexis Sanchez to get him to come to us over them. Yet a number of their players are on very modest salaries. When does a city player ever have a drawn out contract renewal? Why isn’t Ederson demanding to be paid what the best paid goalkeepers in the world get paid?
Pep or money.

It's obviously the only answer. No way anything dodgy is going on wage-wise.

I had a similar reaction to when they announced as the most profitable team in the world and top of the sponsorship revenue lists. If you’re gonna cheat don’t make it look like you’re cheating. Despite what the books say everyone knows they’re not a bigger brand than Real Madrid and have a lower pay roll than Liverpool. Do what Chelsea did put yourself 4th or 5th.

What do you think would drive the FA to bring over 100 charges against them, only to slap wrists?
What message would that send to other clubs?
Would they be accused of corruption, and sued by other clubs?
Would it risk clubs abandoning the FA as a governing body?

Why instigate all of this if the only outcome is that they look weak or corrupt?

Pep or money.

It's obviously the only answer. No way anything dodgy is going on wage-wise.

I wonder if there’s an element of feeling like there’s guaranteed success at City whilst Pep’s there. I feel like it was similar under Ferguson.

It’s impressive how a club that can’t fill it’s own stadium and who’s fan base is dwarfed by not one but two other clubs within a 40 mile distance of their stadium can be the most valuable brand in the world.

I had a similar reaction to when they announced as the most profitable team in the world and top of the sponsorship revenue lists. If you’re gonna cheat don’t make it look like you’re cheating. Despite what the books say everyone knows they’re not a bigger brand than Real Madrid and have a lower pay roll than Liverpool. Do what Chelsea did put yourself 4th or 5th.

Woah.

We've been terrible for football in other ways but big man, leave us out of this cooking the books chat :mad:

I do know it.

It is very frustrating. Everyone knows they're guilty. They know they're guilty. The people who will rule them innocent and defend them will know they're guilty. But we all know they'll get away with it, again

It's when things like that happen, I wish I had the personality to keep my football support casual but I can't.

These net spend figures are nonsence as they are based on what City say they have spent rather than what they have actually spent and dont include the massive agent fees, signing fees, and intermeadiary fees they pay, their are players in this like Haaland who will be counted as 51m but actually cost well over 100m and Alvarez who will be listed as 20m but probably cost closer to 50m.

Exactly! even if City are not found guilty for all the FFP breaches and find ways around the charges due to time constraints and rule changes etc. Surely the fact they have been charged so many times, would make the figures they release highly questionable.

All their transfers should be seen with an asterisk above them, instead of being used as some standard bearer to bash other teams in the league who have not been charged with FFP. :wenger:

Last edited:

You got a source on any of that?

What do you think would drive the FA to bring over 100 charges against them, only to slap wrists?
What message would that send to other clubs?
Would they be accused of corruption, and sued by other clubs?
Would it risk clubs abandoning the FA as a governing body?

Why instigate all of this if the only outcome is that they look weak or corrupt?

Don't get me wrong. I hope the charges stick and City get the maximum punishment allowed. It's just that I have no faith in the FA to prosecute the charges to the fullest extent of the law, expecially when the Premier League brand could be irreparably damaged.

Exactly! even if City are not found guilty for all the FFP breaches and find ways around the charges due to time constraints and rule changes etc. Surely the fact they have been charged so many times, would make the figures they release highly questionable.

All their transfers should be seen with an asterisk above them, instead of being used as some standard bearer to bash other teams for the league who have not been charged with FFP. :wenger:

There should definately be an asterisk over Julien Alvarez's transfer fee as their claim he was only €17m seems ludicrus, Man Utd pulled outof signing him as there were a number of intermeadiarys involved as well as the agents all of whom would have needed paying which made the deal unfeasable for us so I find it hard to believe for 1 second that City got him that cheaply.

What makes you think they are reporting on them truthfully and accurately?...

Why would a club lie about how much they paid City or received from City?

Take Dortmund for example. Why would they report they only received 10M for Akanji when they actually received 30M? That shoots them in the foot from a FFP perspective.

Unless you're in this bubble where City are literally the feds and can infiltrate any club and manipulate figures to their desire, it makes no sense that net spend figures are doctored.

Agent fees and direct compensation are another matter entirely.

Take Dortmund for example. Why would they report they only received 10M for Akanji when they actually received 30M? That shoots them in the foot from a FFP perspective.

Unless you're in this bubble where City are literally the feds and can infiltrate any club and manipulate figures to their desire, it makes no sense that net spend figures are doctored.

1st thought would be to avoid tax on profit?

1st thought would be to avoid tax on profit?

Shooting themselves in the foot with regards to FFP and undervaluing other players they hope to sell in the future? And how much tax would they be saving? And isn't that tax fraud, underreporting income received?

I don't buy it.

You got a source on any of that?

Their leaked emails are in this twitter thread. Particularly of note are their south American shell company discussing underage players being paid excess funding but considering them to have an "R.O.I."

I dont think other clubs are. Agent fee's, direct compensation and making up sponsors or other income seem far more likely. I mean they own about 5 clubs so its possible theres some feckery there.

Last edited:

People mostly aren't talking about fees to clubs, but about agent fees, intermediaries, third parties, etc.

United always, from what I recall, reported their total fees paid to include agent fees and whatnot. Take Veron for example - United paid 28.1m (2001 figures) but some of that, think it was about 2.1m was for various fees and like 26m to Lazio for the player's registration. What did Lazio report as received? Surely it would not be 28.1m unless United were including those additional fees as direct payment to Lazio for further allocation to the applicable parties. Guess that depends on how each club handles their miscellaneous payments in a transfer agreement.

If City paid 10m to Dortmund that that is what Dortmund would claim on their income sheet. If City paid 20m in other fees directly to third parties then City must claim it, Dortmund would have no need to do so that I'm aware of. But, if City did cook the books, surely Dortmund and/or the player would know if additional fees paid as part of. And if any club or player or person received fees not recorded and not claimed that would open each up to tax avoidance laws, which who knows if that is happening. We've witnessed Messi and Ronaldo get caught up in tax fiascos, may be more rampant than we know or will ever know.

It does seem a rather easy trail to audit, perhaps, but I'm no financial accountant and maybe it's more in-depth than I'm making it out in simplistic view. If City is not recording such when miscellaneous fees are paid, I presume that violates the financial rules, assuming they are not recording them under some other sort of business practice that falls under the football operations/player amortization area. I presume all fees within a transfer do fall under the amortization and account towards the financial cap or whatever it is.

I have read the CAS ruling a couple of times and it’s far from it being as most City supporters would have you believe Ie they were cleared of the charges.

I fully accept that I can only base my view on what is in the public domain but if and a big if the leaked emails are accurate the case being put forward namely that in respect of Mancini there were two parallel contracts within the city group

Bear in mind that the burden of proof isn’t beyond reasonable doubt it’s set at on the balance of probability.

So Mancini is said to have signed a contract with City and a contract with the other team in the group on the same day. The sums paid by City for him to be their manager ( full time ) was less that he was going to be paid for 4 day’s coaching a year. The invoices for this coaching were allegedly sent to City and it was them that paid . The signatories on several documents appear to be the same officials acting on behalf of two supposedly entities

Its a requirement that all sums paid to managers, coaches and indeed players has to be paid through the club’s payroll ( it can’t be delegated elsewhere

Then you can look at the image rights . Remember how they, City , sold the players image rights to a “ stand alone “ company ? Image rights form part of a remuneration package and have to be paid via a club’s payroll.

I keep reflecting on the comment made in the press which poses the question “ If city are so sure they are innocent why are they doing everything they can to avoid the panel to rule on the matter ?”

They were not cleared of the charges at all. CAS acknowledged their guilt but revoked the ban on the grounds that the evidence was obtained illegally. UEFA state that evidence obtained illegally cannot be used in a case.

The FA/Premier League have no such clause, and therefore they will review the same evidence, presumably reach the same conclusion and this time CAS won't be able to help overturn on a technicality.

The argument coming through from their fans about Citys net spend v other clubs is ludicrous. So much that Im amazed it's even being put forward as an argument at all.

The bought Ferran Torres for 20m, then sold him on for 55m. So the made 35m net profit.

If they have cooked the books to get the 20m into the club in the first place then people can't then put forward the argument "Yeah but we made 35m when we sold him", like it somehow washes the illicit 20m away in the first place.

Apply this to every player they have bought and sold on for profit.

It's a joke.

Last edited:
They were not cleared of the charges at all. CAS acknowledged their guilt but revoked the ban on the grounds that the evidence was obtained illegally. UEFA state that evidence obtained illegally cannot be used in a case.

The FA/Premier League have no such clause, and therefore they will review the same evidence, presumably reach the same conclusion and this time CAS won't be able to help overturn on a technicality.

Not sure that’s right.

UEFAs case was in effect built around the leaked emails and City’s argument was that under Swiss law the evidence should not be deemed admissible.

CAS members discussed the evidence and in the end ruled that as UEFA themselves hadn’t illegally obtained the evidence they dismissed city’s arguments.

The problem really was that UEFA in effect gave up trying to get information and indeed in particular un redacted copies of the whole string of emails . UEFA for me were too arrogant as I believe they really believed that they had city banged to rights.

What I thought was interesting was that under its jurisdiction the failure to supply information couldn’t be viewed negatively

CAS clearly didn’t think that the evidence was to the level required and also CAS ruled that UEFA hadn’t correctly applied the statute of limitations.

The PL case however will be dealt with under PL rules . The independent tribunal will have their work cut out because as is becoming obvious City will do anything they can to delay the matter hoping no doubt that the PL will make the same mistakes that UEFA did. I don’t think that will happe.

City have already had their backsides kicked by the High Court regarding the PL be competent to arbitrate on matters of dispute but no doubt they will be arguing about every procedural point they can . Yes they can go to law re procedure but the outcome.

At some point the tribunal will come to a conclusion. City supporters believe many of the charges have to be dismissed under provisions of the limitation act but as I see it those arguments fail because simply because of the very nature of the charges namely the allegations that information supplied wasn’t correct or put another may fraud.

Another of cities supporters claim is that it’s inconceivable that such important people would be part of any such deception that claim was to a degree supported by CAS but unlike UEFA there isn’t the time pressure on the PL so it would be inexcusable if the PL hadn’t crossed all the Ts and dotted all those Is

The whole matter is going to get more interesting and indeed messy these are high stake matters but now the Independent a tribunal has been set up process will proceed and you can only hope that the PL and more in particular the tribunal aren’t bullied

I think you're missing the point. There are other fee's to agents and club members that are never reported on or are paid under a different guise. Also if you think they're aren't shady deals between clubs then you poor sweet child, I present to you Barcelona and Juve, two of the biggest clubs in world football. If you think Man city haven't done something similar to these two in the past then we'll have to agree to disagree and see what the evidence from the verdict brings about.

I think you're missing the point. There are other fee's to agents and club members that are never reported on or are paid under a different guise. Also if you think they're aren't shady deals between clubs then you poor sweet child, I present to you Barcelona and Juve, two of the biggest clubs in world football. If you think Man city haven't done something similar to these two in the past then we'll have to agree to disagree and see what the evidence from the verdict brings about.
I mean PSG didn't pay 1€ to get Neymar. The country behind them gave money to Neymar to buy himself out and then sign for PSG under the pretence that he became an ambassador/mascotte/whatever for Qatar World Cup.
All under the Sun. Everybody knows and nobody did a thing. I mean Al Kelaifi took over from Andrea Agnelli as ECA head