Champions League 24/25 | Matchday 3: October 22-23

How is is that Madrid consistently have successful teams? Manager after manager, player after player. You have to respect what they have achieved.
They've won all their Champions Leagues this century under only 3 managers - Del Bosque, Ancelotti and Zidane. Plenty failed around that.

What's going on? Cannot watch the game because I am travelling, just checking the result.
handkerchiesque first half and the spirit of the comebacks in the second.
Very fast in the attacks. Sahin broke the team and Vini ratified the ballon d'or

Vini has been utterly sensational in this second half. What a wonderful player. Love watching him play. He’s kind of a throw back player. Good old fashioned running at pace, tricks, beating a man, thunderbolt finishes. Unpredictability personified. A joy to watch.

Vini jr is basically old school brazillian brilliance. So good to watch someone dribbling past defenders effortlessly.

Think he’s easily the best keeper Madrid have had in my lifetime
Courtois is one of the best keepers ever, full stop, in my opinion. 2022 Champions League at least, a pretty average Madrid team carried by Courtois (and Benzema). They had no right to beat City or Liverpool really if it wasn't for Courtois.

Courtois is one of the best keepers ever, full stop, in my opinion. 2022 Champions League at least, a pretty average Madrid team carried by Courtois (and Benzema). They had no right to beat City or Liverpool really if it wasn't for Courtois.

Pfft, we had every right! :lol:

Vini jr is basically old school brazillian brilliance. So good to watch someone dribbling past defenders effortlessly.
There was a thread here about how Brazil don't produce good forwards any more yet they have Vini, Rodrygo, Raphinha. Neymar one of the best in the world if he can get fit again. Then Endrick and Estevao to come

Amazing turn around for him too after a wobbly start.

Think he’s easily the best keeper Madrid have had in my lifetime

He's always overlooked when people talk about the best keeper on the world. It's really between him and Allison. He's a better shot stopper than Allison while Allison is better on the ball (while being a really good shot stopper himself).

They are a league above everyone else right now.

Pfft, we had every right! :lol:
If he doesn't pull off one of the best saves I've ever seen from Grealish, you're going out by a couple of goals before you can make that comeback against City. Then 24 shots to 4 in the final, several excellent saves.

Referee taking the piss in the battle of the acronyms (PSG v PSV). Playing 7 minutes of added time when the board said 4.

Still, 1-1 final score. Not good for Paris.

There was a thread here about how Brazil don't produce good forwards any more yet they have Vini, Rodrygo, Raphinha. Neymar one of the best in the world if he can get fit again. Then Endrick and Estevao to come
They once had Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and R9 though. That is a decent drop off and only Vinicius could claim to be of similar level. Neymar is pretty much finished so doesn't belong in that conversation. The others are potential as of now.

handkerchiesque first half and the spirit of the comebacks in the second.
Very fast in the attacks. Sahin broke the team and Vini ratified the ballon d'or

Thanks! I was fearing the worst after the 0-2. Sounds like the answer was excellent, but the team is way too reactive as many other times in the past.

Why would we waste money on these games. That's for the real games against real teams, when it's needed. Duh.
Vazquez can’t be the Carvajal replacement all season, they’re gonna have to sign someone
Thou shall not take thy Lord's name in vain
What's going on? Cannot watch the game because I am travelling, just checking the result.
Typical Madrid performance
He’s like Mane on steroids
He actually cited Mane as a model, before he exploded in 2021 and became better than Mane had ever been

They once had Ronaldinho, Rivaldo and R9 though. That is a decent drop off and only Vinicius could claim to be of similar level. Neymar is pretty much finished so doesn't belong in that conversation. The others are potential as of now.
Neymar is just back from a bad injury for a year, not beyond the realms of possibility that he comes back and has a very good 2026 World Cup as a last hurrah. There's not much sign of him seriously declining, he just got injured. He was great at the last one.

Neymar is just back from a bad injury for a year, not beyond the realms of possibility that he comes back and has a very good 2026 World Cup as a last hurrah. There's not much sign of him seriously declining, he just got injured. He was great at the last one.
I don't even consider Neymar as part of that generation though, he's as close to Ronaldinho's and Kaka's as he is to now.

I don't even consider Neymar as part of that generation though, he's as close to Ronaldinho's and Kaka's as he is to now.
8 years older than Vini, 10 years younger than Kaka. Inbetween generation I suppose, but just more that if you say Brazil don't have had any top players recently, I don't think you can leave him out.

Winning 2-0 to losing 5-2? What a capitulation :lol: :lol: :lol:
I missed the whole feckin thing. I’m in Madrid for 2 nights, not interested in going to see it live but was hoping to see the 2nd half at least on the telly. Got tied up at dinner and haven’t even seen the highlights yet.

Edit; just saw the highlights. Damn!

Last edited:
8 years older than Vini, 10 years younger than Kaka. Inbetween generation I suppose, but just more that if you say Brazil don't have had any top players recently, I don't think you can leave him out.
Maybe the late 90's/early 00's generation watchers aren't rocked when they see the likes of Richarlison and Raphina starting for Brazil. Good players but way off the standard they were used to when spoiled in a golden age of Brazilian talent. Hell even Antony started in last World Cup if memory serves me correct.

I'm looking for the usual passive aggressive comments from our boy @do.ob . One day they're destroying Rangers, the next they're getting Rangers'd.

Don't tell me he only shows up when they win?!