Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I see deliberate intent to implement a progressive style. Last season I think we didn’t stand much of a chance due to injuries, and other small details like bad luck at wrong moments which, by the time we got to Christmas, had already shaped the narrative of our season. But I wanted Ten Hag to stay and for the team to have a mental reset and with players coming back this season, young players expected to improve, and new players coming in to provide competition and depth, I feel the small details may break in our favour. Once momentum has gathered, I think we’ll be a match for anyone.
I see. Interesting and I hope you are right. I personally don't see anythign like that at all. I know the general tone of the forum apparently is supposed to be optimistic and thats fine but it feels a little hollow to me, thats why I was asking what the reason for your statement was. Unfortunately, I don't see any changes in team play, the end of last season wasn't great, even if at the end, a few good results changed the mood. And pre seasons is a tricky predictor but for now, I'd be inclined to say, that we play the same stuff but with slightly different players. Amad is a modern player and changes the options his team mates have, Martinez is good with the ball at his feet which is obviously helping the buildup.
It doesn't rectify all the issues though, in attack we rely on chaos and in defense we only look good when we have time to set up. One of last seasons biggest issues at DM hasn't been adressed yet and even if we bring in Ugarte, the season starts tonight.

I see. Interesting and I hope you are right. I personally don't see anythign like that at all. I know the general tone of the forum apparently is supposed to be optimistic and thats fine but it feels a little hollow to me, thats why I was asking what the reason for your statement was. Unfortunately, I don't see any changes in team play, the end of last season wasn't great, even if at the end, a few good results changed the mood. And pre seasons is a tricky predictor but for now, I'd be inclined to say, that we play the same stuff but with slightly different players. Amad is a modern player and changes the options his team mates have, Martinez is good with the ball at his feet which is obviously helping the buildup.
It doesn't rectify all the issues though, in attack we rely on chaos and in defense we only look good when we have time to set up. One of last seasons biggest issues at DM hasn't been adressed yet and even if we bring in Ugarte, the season starts tonight.

The question is, do you take season one or season two under Ten Hag to be a truer reflection of who we are? Because it’s very convenient to write our obituaries based on last season’s showing, but it also raises a fair question that if we are everything that everyone has said we are over the last 10 months - how did we manage to perform as we did the season before?

Now if you decide there is valid mitigation to that (injuries, luck etc), then I think it’s fair to seek actual evidence, rather than just hope, from our performance of the season before. So I take myself back there, and think of where we were and more importantly, what we needed in order to take that next step. Almost deleting last season altogether, which I think is a season that will/can also serve as a great lesson for the players and manager - I think those players should be mentally more motivated now, crucially more depth in the centee forward area from the Weghorst/Martial season, and if we can get Ugarte - then a reasonable hope that we can have the contribution Casemiro provided that season. Rashford had a far worse season last time out, but not due to injury and not because he’s too old, so I don’t see it as unreasonable that he can again produce what he has already shown he can. That, along with development of Mainoo, Garnacho and Amad means that in my view - we have a stronger group than we did two years ago. Crucially, we should have a stronger manager who has had more tests in England and should be better equipped than first season.

I think you can’t look at each season like separate entities, more like part of what has been a 2 year journey for the group, and I can’t help but think the setbacks of last season are likely to have strengthened the group, and we weren’t that far off to start with. There must surely be a drive and determination, and the first season has shown that along with that, there is also the quality and capacity (which has now grown since then).

Can see him celebrating his contract with a goal tonight. Brunoooo!

Man Utd 1:0 Fulham New
Had he finished those two brilliant chances (that he should have) this would’ve been a very, very good performance from the skipper.

Terrible today. He really needs to up his floor to a 7/10.

Played exactly like a player who has just got a bumper new contract does. Poor.

Some decent long balls but overall very chaotic and was desperate to get a goal which didn't help his team.

Hero syndrome, but played an important part for the goal. Not a good performance, however. Another day it costs points.

Good besides the 3 (?) poor finishes. I don't think he was selfish or wasteful (with the passes) today.

Bad game from him tonight. The earlier misses got into his head, was rushing a lot of passes in the second half. In these games, I wish someone like EtH or Casemiro or Licha would just tell him to take a breath. Maybe DeLigt will be the one.

There was a sequence where he first picked a 50 yard perfectly lofted ball to Rashy then quickly followed by another beautiful diagonal pass on his left that was reminiscent of peak Beckham.

His finishing is shyte though, how's he come away from that with no goals with such clear cut chances

Poor finishing and a couple of poor decisions to shoot rather than passing but did well generally IMO.

Good besides the 3 (?) poor finishes. I don't think he was selfish or wasteful (with the passes) today.
Rewatch the moment where Pereira messed up the counter. It comes from Fernandes making a poor decision to shoot and it ricocheting off a Fulham player. He had Rashford and Dalot both open on the far left.

Was awful. No composure to finish easy chances, and very selfish overall. Needs to do better.

Missed 2 glorious chances, although good thing was that he managed to get himself in a position to get those. Still needs to seriously improve

Rewatch the moment where Pereira messed up the counter. It comes from Fernandes making a poor decision to shoot and it ricocheting off a Fulham player. He had Rashford and Dalot both open on the far left.
He picked a shot instead of a pass on the counter 3 times which is unlike him.

I'd forgive him because he didn't have a proper pre-season and had a summer tournament but let's be honest this was the typical Bruno performance that we all love to hate. Almost self sabotaging at times with his shooting and shot selection.

Shit game. Huge misses and selfish and slow overall

Shite. Almost cost us the game.

Terrible today. He really needs to up his floor to a 7/10.

Thought he was really poor and it almost cost us considering how many chances were falling to him.

Hes either brilliant or terrible and tonight it was the latter.
Wow guys, just a selection of posts tonight but ease up on the hyperbolic negativity. Bruno was fine tonight, he’s not a striker and it showed. Rasmus would have buried those chances, but otherwise a good game from the captain!

Wow guys, just a selection of posts tonight but ease up on the hyperbolic negativity. Bruno was fine tonight, he’s not a striker and it showed. Rasmus would have buried those chances, but otherwise a good game from the captain!
He is a second striker and the position has nothing to do with him being sloppy and selfish

No, I'll criticize players who deserve it and praise those who deserve it, I'm not mailing a letter to Bruno himself or anything.

He's generally quite good in the final third but was pretty crap tonight. It's fine to say so, I don't need to metaphorically give him hugs on RedCafe.

Harsh comments in here I think, had 2 good chances, I thought the first wasn’t easy and the second was a very good save but those aside I thought he played well.