Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Ha! You sure showed them by posting immediately after a 0-0 game where he had the sort of performance that most of the best midfielders in the world have a handful of per season.
Just a handful? It's far more than a handful. Even in a lot of the games he contributes, he is usually quite erratic and bad for the most part. He was world class for the first year or so with us but since then his consistent level of performance has been on a massive decline.

Lost the ball 34 times today...

bruno-lost-possession-34-times-against-crystal-palace-v0-uzqpaaxtk7qd1.jpeg

I watched the game with one eye but there is no way these 34 possession losses are real. :lol:

Until we drop him, then we realise what a huge drop off it is and suddenly there will be a clamour for him to play every game again.

Here in i think is the thing, the team is completely different from even last season. If we took out Bruno two seasons ago who would have played there?

Now with this team I think we more than two options.

It’s near impossible to control games with him in the team, I can’t wait to see the next time he’s subbed off with that smirk face of him again

It’s feast or famine with Bruno. Some days you just need to play a 6-7/10 game re: keep possession, make smart passes and stop playing Hollywood balls. He is an absolute waster and it’s time to start Mount in his role.

Just a handful? It's far more than a handful. Even in a lot of the games he contributes, he is usually quite erratic and bad for the most part.
If he's contributing goals and assists in games where he also does some erratic passing then I would say the pros outweigh the cons in those games. Not so much today unfortunately.

Amad, Zirkzee , Garnacho, Mainoo, Eriksen and Bruno. Find the odd man out !

I loved how we play but sadly I think Bruno isn't a right fit for our current style.

Amad, Zirkzee , Garnacho, Mainoo, Eriksen and Bruno. Find the odd man out !

I loved how we play but sadly I think Bruno isn't a right fit for our current style.
The performance in possession was fantastic together, but it fell apart as soon as Zirkzee, Eriksen and Amad were subbed.

Until we drop him, then we realise what a huge drop off it is and suddenly there will be a clamour for him to play every game again.
I feel like Ten Hag needs to find competition for Bruno someone who can step in when hes not performing and push for his spot (Eriken? Mount? Amad?). Bruno is either one of the best players to watch or like today one of the most frustrating. I have been thinking this since last season

If he's contributing goals and assists in games where he also does some erratic passing then I would say the pros outweigh the cons in those games. Not so much today unfortunately.
Yeah it's a debate on whether the contributions are worth the overall cost to our cohesion going forward. There's not really a definitive way to test it unless he's benched for a certain amount of time. I feel like we had the same problem when Rooney started to decline. His all round performance was quite terrible but he still contributed quite a lot in terms of goals/assists. Though iirc, we played a lot better when he was benched and our overall goals scored actually went up.

It’s near impossible to control games with him in the team, I can’t wait to see the next time he’s subbed off with that smirk face of him again
We did control part or Southampton and Palace games with Bruno on the pitch. But, he was not in the center of things which was quite telling. How much of our recent xG has he actually created?

It's very clear he's struggling in the new system that the club (maybe even Ten Hag, even if I doubt it) wants to implement. It's just not his game.

Yeah it's a debate on whether the contributions are worth the overall cost to our cohesion going forward. There's not really a definitive way to test it unless he's benched for a certain amount of time. I feel like we had the same problem when Rooney started to decline. His all round performance was quite terrible but he still contributed quite a lot in terms of goals/assists. Though iirc, we played a lot better when he was benched and our overall goals scored actually went up.
That's a good catch. But you can't give it one game, at least a few to see how the team reacts to this. Feels like the opportunity is now to take as he's not even that important in how we play when we actually play good.

Rooney was probably difficult to drop compared to Bruno though.

We saw the drop off in the few games he missed at the back end of last season. Barely any shots or chances created. There was a huge difference in attacking output when compared with the games before and after he was injured.

That is absolutely mad. I wish football had a well used turnovers stat. In the NBA a point guard that gave the ball away 34 times in a game (or frankly, 3 games) would be benched forever.
There were a couple guys on here adamant that Bruno is good with the ball and had the audacity to compare him to KDB and Odegaard.

I can live with his erratic style tbh.

But he is missing too many chances. As the senior player in attack he had to take his one big chance today.

When he is shite we look almost completely out of ideas. I was saying I look forward to the day the rest of the team can figure it out without absolutely every meaningful attack having to go through him. I think that will suit everyone concerned. As things stand it’s Bruno or bust. He’s had a terrible start to this season though. So underwhelming.

It's looking more and more like he's not suited to the direction the team is headed. This could end up being a like Ruud, Beckham situation.. still top players but just not what the team needs going forward.

That contract looking better and better, instead of running away we are stuck with Russell Westbrook of Manchester and this shitty formation with point forward in midfield.

When he is shite we look almost completely out of ideas. I was saying I look forward to the day the rest of the team can figure it out without absolutely every meaningful attack having to go through him. I think that will suit everyone concerned. As things stand it’s Bruno or bust. He’s had a terrible start to this season though. So underwhelming.
Probably because he’s in such a crucial position to the attack. He looks more important than he really is.

Sloppy as feck. Reminds of out of date Rooney. If we have a manager who is of the same philosophy as “my Captain always plays” then perhaps we should stay the feck away from Dutch coaches.

Bring on Mount—you’ve signed him for like 50 million; why isn’t he playing? Mount’s certainly a good enough player to be brought on for Bruno in my opinion.

Extremely irresponsible performance today, a disgrace from a captain.

When we were rolling in the first half he seemed more interested in scoring the perfect goal and over complicating every single action. Unnecessary flicks and touches with no purpose apart from filling his ego. Lampard was so great because he kept things as simple as possible. When Bruno tried the outside of the boot shot I was done with him today.

In the second half he was stupidly wasteful. He was playing the game as if we were up three goals and had the freedom to feck about and do what he liked.

The United app shows he lost possession 34 times, completed 60/83 passes with a 72% passing accuracy.

No idea why ETH kept him on the pitch.

I feel like Ten Hag needs to find competition for Bruno someone who can step in when hes not performing and push for his spot (Eriken? Mount? Amad?). Bruno is either one of the best players to watch or like today one of the most frustrating. I have been thinking this since last season
yeah but being frustrating to watch doesn’t always mean he’s playing poorly, it just means he isn’t doing the things you think he should be doing. It’s very possible that he is still doing the things the coaches have asked him to do.

A bit weird comment after the last 3 games we've witnessed in which Bruno played marginal role and yet we created more then enough to win each of those and to some degree controlled the game.

The United app shows he lost possession 34 times, completed 60/83 passes with a 72% passing accuracy.

No idea why ETH kept him on the pitch.
If you’re looking to be a possesion based team then Bruno definitely doesn’t fit the bill. Horrible stats and he’s shown nothing so far this season to be starting.

A bit weird comment after the last 3 games we've witnessed in which Bruno played marginal role and yet we created more then enough to win each of those and to some degree controlled the game.

I would personally drop him for the next game and bring him on if we still aren’t creating good chances by the 60-70th minute. He should have to win his place back now like everyone else. He lost the ball so many times today it was shocking

People don’t half go over the top with Bruno, but for once tonight was a game in which it was merited, had a really poor night.
No poorer than the rest of them in attack though. He should have scored and had some very bad decisions, but the same can be said for Garnacho or Zirzkee who people are probably being praised in their respective threads.

He is really irritating when he's like this, which is a lot. I would love for a more calm playmaker

No poorer than the rest of them in attack though. He should have scored and had some very bad decisions, but the same can be said for Garnacho or Zirzkee who people are probably being praised in their respective threads.
You should be expecting more out of the "world class magnifico" than you do the 20 year old forward. And Zirkzee didn't have any "very bad decisions" that's a load of garbage. He didn't even have a chance to miss either.

I find it quite absurd that I see many of the youngest players in the squad be expected far more of them and consistently get criticized game to game but the captain and leader of the team is constantly excused away for shit performances. You'd think the standards should be switched around, where younger players are expected to have a few feck ups but the supposed world class midfielder in the side is expected to dominate and be the best player on the pitch somewhat often.

I would personally drop him for the next game and bring him on if we still aren’t creating good chances by the 60-70th minute. He should have to win his place back now like everyone else. He lost the ball so many times today it was shocking
Him losing the ball was always a thing that we kind of needed to accept as he was a creative force. It was our team strength so we had to play this card.

This is not the case anymore. We've plenty of talent and skills throughout the team that we can move towards more controlled style of play. The question is now if he can can still contribute to a degree that it makes sense to keep him in the team. He is a passenger now.

The lack of loyalty towards Bruno here is an absolute disgrace.

Does anyone have any stats on how many games he's played in the last 3 seasons for us and Portugal - it's going to be huge. And he's been carrying a massive weight on his shoulders for years trying to drag Utd over the line. He's given absolutely everything, including perhaps his best years of his career and then way people here sh*t all over him is just awful.

You expect players to be loyal to the club but how about the fans show some loyalty and support to a player.

Bruno is not Sancho.

And who do the wise folk here suggest we replace him with?

- Zirkzee, who's got the killer instinct of Gandhi.
- Mount, who's constantly injured and has done nothing.
- Eriksen, who's gassed after half an hour.

None of those players have done for Utd what Bruno has done.

Give him a rest, build a team formation around him as a false 9 or 10. But don't make him the scape goat every time the entire team fail to deliver - he's delivered more than anyone else here in a decade.