2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

SungSam7

The overrating of this guy after the City game is way to over the top. For the majority of the season he was terrible and most in here were rightfully pointing out just how bad he was playing. There is no way he should be getting a new contract, and if any offer above 65 million comes in the club should be selling him as he is nowhere near as good as his stats indicate.
Tell me about it, got one clown quoting me right after it with a bunch of 10 other negative posts about him.

To call him World Class but no team is jumping at these claims say a lot. He wouldn't be a given starter for any of the top teams in Europe ffs.

Pickle85

The overrating of this guy after the City game is way to over the top. For the majority of the season he was terrible and most in here were rightfully pointing out just how bad he was playing. There is no way he should be getting a new contract, and if any offer above 65 million comes in the club should be selling him as he is nowhere near as good as his stats indicate.
He's absolutely as good as his stats indicate. He had a poor (by his standards) season and was still comfortably our most creative and threatening player. Who are you buying at 66 million that will be on his level, or are you just happy to downgrade significantly?

Pickle85

Tell me about it, got one clown quoting me right after it with a bunch of 10 other negative posts about him.

To call him World Class but no team is jumping at these claims say a lot. He wouldn't be a given starter for any of the top teams in Europe ffs.
What are you on about? You've got no idea what other teams are doing. You're just speculating wildly and framing it as fact when you don't have a clue. If he became available he would absolutely have suitors and you're absolutely deluded if you think otherwise.

Rolaholic

No one loathes United players more than United fans I tell you :lol:

Best player and captain we've had post-Fergie is also overrated and wouldn't make the XI of top sides yet this is what his competitors say

Last edited:

Pickle85

Best player and captain we've had post-Fergie is also overrated and wouldn't make the XI of top sides yet this is what his competitors say

Madness, isn't it. Despite being our best player for almost all his time here, he's overrated and can leave for 65 million. Couldn't make it up.

Lyng

Why is that clip about Ronaldo in there?

STYLOISRED

If Portugal are going to do anything meaningful at the Euros this summer he will be at the heart of that team. I have no doubts about. Best player we have had post SAF without a doubt and despite his faults I'm happy he plays for us and not any of our rivals. Imagine Bruno playing for Liverpool *shudders*

RepardReece

nah, the top comment of this page says otherwise

NZT-One

Maybe you can try to find tweets from his youth coach? Or his mother? :D Why would you bring up a tweet from 2021?

Some of the critique in here is definitely over the top. But I guess that is what you get when polarization is as strong as it is here. Acting as if Bruno is the sole reason of why we play how we play is just as short-sighted as people who seemingly cannot comprehend to even think about selling a player for a big offer if (!!!) the opportunity was there even though said player reaches an age top clubs should prepare for life after him anyways.

Lets hear another one telling us that he was the best player for us. By that logic, maybe we should raid Luton or Burnley. They have a "the best of us" player as well.

The dilemma here shouldn't be whether or not Bruno is a useful (very useful) player - the question should be whether he is the right player for us right now. Same way as a mechanist probably shouldn't try to hang on the carbon spoiler while transmission and engine aren't on an acceptable level.
That is, how I see it. A bit like with Pogba back in the day - a great player who probably would have worked wonderfully when inserted into a well-working machine that is able to balance his freedom out. No question, Bruno isn't as difficult to integrate as Pogba nor is he a mere luxury piece, I get that, but whether he is here or not, we are not going to make a big step up as a team because we are so far behind other teams in other areas. Only chance to do so is to bring in a couple of players in defense and midfield and on the wings, give them time to get into sync and have a coach who finds a modern way to make this group of players play well together. And I would be genuinely shocked if that takes less than 2 years. Surely Bruno could be part of such a process, but he could also be part of it when selling him would bring in some funds for the reset. The reset is inevitable anyway. For me, the question is should we take the funds or let it slide for 2 more years of him during a period where we most likely still won't compete for the highest honors.

But why bother. Lets roll on the next statman dave tweet proving that we have (one of) the bestest player in the world in our team with chance creation stats.

Pickle85

Maybe you can try to find tweets from his youth coach? Or his mother? :D Why would you bring up a tweet from 2021?

Some of the critique in here is definitely over the top. But I guess that is what you get when polarization is as strong as it is here. Acting as if Bruno is the sole reason of why we play how we play is just as short-sighted as people who seemingly cannot comprehend to even think about selling a player for a big offer if (!!!) the opportunity was there even though said player reaches an age top clubs should prepare for life after him anyways.

Lets hear another one telling us that he was the best player for us. By that logic, maybe we should raid Luton or Burnley. They have a "the best of us" player as well.

The dilemma here shouldn't be whether or not Bruno is a useful (very useful) player - the question should be whether he is the right player for us right now. Same way as a mechanist probably shouldn't try to hang on the carbon spoiler while transmission and engine aren't on an acceptable level.
That is, how I see it. A bit like with Pogba back in the day - a great player who probably would have worked wonderfully when inserted into a well-working machine that is able to balance his freedom out. No question, Bruno isn't as difficult to integrate as Pogba nor is he a mere luxury piece, I get that, but whether he is here or not, we are not going to make a big step up as a team. Only chance to do so is to bring in a couple of players in defense and midfield and on the wings, give them time to get into sync and have a coach who finds a way to make this group of players play well together. And I would genuinely shocked if that takes less than 2 years. Surely Bruno could be part of such a process, but he could also be part of it when selling him would bring in some funds for the reset. The reset is inevitable anyway. For me, the question is should we take the funds or let it slide for 2 more years of him during a period where we most likely still won't compete for the highest honors.

But why bother. Lets roll on the next statman dave tweet proving that we have (one of) the bestest player in the world in our team with chance creation stats.
So funny how earnestly you profess your impartiality while every post of yours in any thread related to Bruno insists on underplaying his abilities and importance.

Re the bolded point, surely you can see what a dumb, irrelevant point that is to make. If you can't see the difference in quality between us and luton and Burnley then you really don't have a clue.

Re your point about selling him for a large fee: how large is the fee you would sell him for and who would you hope to buy to replace him?

NZT-One

So funny how earnestly you profess your impartiality while every post of yours in any thread related to Bruno insists on underplaying his abilities and importance.
Not sure where in this post I profess any impartiality. I am not a fan of Bruno. Never really was. But that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that he has very valuable traits and qualities. And for the rest: Just like you yourself, I consider my stance as relatively neutral and pragmatic. It is what most of us think of our own standpoints, isn't it? Truth is, probably none of us are right about it.

Re the bolded point, surely you can see what a dumb, irrelevant point that is to make. If you can't see the difference in quality between us and luton and Burnley then you really don't have a clue.
You may have misunderstood my point. It was that self-references don't really tell us much. Maybe overall Maguire was the best CB in our team this season - what does that mean? Has he become a better player? Should we keep him because he was the best of a rather uninspiring bunch? Who was our best winger? Garnacho, I guess. But does that mean he is good? Or better than our rivals? I doubt it. And it is the same with Bruno. After all, we deservedly finished 8. Attacking output wise we finished even lower. Bruno may have been the best part of that team. Selfreference makes sense in some aspects, but not everywhere.

For me personally, the reality is that we have to evolve as a team to get any better. Playstyle wise, recruitment wise, coaching wise. Whether Bruno is there or not is just a side note. Like every player as an individual is. Maybe except Mainoo because he has the potential be become a cornerstone for the future.

Re your point about selling him for a large fee: how large is the fee you would sell him for and who would you hope to buy to replace him?
How big of a fee? Difficult to say. I guess I'd take everything above 65. In my eyes this should be enough to bring in two players with potential.
Who would I hope to replace him with? I don't really care. Depends on the system we want to establish and what kinds of players and profiles are available. Our attacking output isn't great with him (obviously not his fault alone) so that is why I am not as shellshocked as a few others in here when considering to let him leave. And like 10 teams in our league alone have attacking output that is better than us so apparently a player like Bruno isn't as crucial as some of his fans think.

I think, the opportunity to sell him big is this summer. Next summer it will be there again but surely the fees aren't going to increase. I am not adamant to get rid of him. A reset is necessary. With or without him. Selling him could help the reset. That is very neutral statement neither pro selling, nor against selling.

Pickle85

Not sure where in this post I profess any impartiality. I am not a fan of Bruno. Never really was. But that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that he has very valuable traits and qualities. And for the rest: Just like you yourself, I consider my stance as relatively neutral and pragmatic. It is what most of us think our own standpoints, isn't it? Truth is, probably none of us are right about it.

You may have misunderstood my point. It was that self-references don't really tell us much. Maybe overall Maguire was the best CB in our team this season - what does that mean? Has he become a better player? Should we keep him because he was the best of a rather uninspiring bunch? Who was our best winger? Garnacho, I guess. But does that mean he is good? Or better than our rivals? I doubt it. And it is the same with Bruno. After all, we deservedly finished 8. Attacking output wise we finished even lower. Bruno may have been the best part of that team. Selfreference makes sense in some aspects, but not everywhere.

For me personally, the reality is that we have to evolve as a team to get any better. Playstyle wise, recruitment wise, coaching wise. Whether Bruno is there or not is just a side note. Like every player as an individual is. Maybe except Mainoo because he has the potential be become a cornerstone for the future.

How big of a fee? Difficult to say. I guess I'd take everything above 65. In my eyes this should be enough to bring in two players with potential.
Who would I hope to replace him with? I don't really care. Depends on the system we want to establish and what kinds of players and profiles are available. Our attacking output isn't great with him (obviously not his fault alone) so that is why I am not as shellshocked as a few others in here when considering to let him leave.

I think, the opportunity to sell him big is this summer. Next summer it will be there again but surely the fees aren't going to increase. I am not adamant to get rid of him. A reset is necessary. With or without him. Selling him could help the reset. That is very neutral statement neither pro selling, nor against selling.
You start by saying you don't like Bruno and never have, then go on to say you consider yourself relatively neutral. The two don't add up.

On the second paragraph, I didn't misunderstand it. It was just a ridiculous parallel to make because you were using the idea that luton has a best player to suggest that could justify buying them. To say that a club with the talent of Manchester United should hold on to its best player doesn't mean that we should buy Luton or Burnley's best player. By any logic.

And finally you're suggesting we sell Bruno for 65 million and then say you don't care about we replace him with. Eh?!

SER19

As much as people claim his recent form is overrated, his bad spell this season is also massively overstated. He started the season fine, then had a slump and was already clicking back into form by January.

He has been ridiculously consistent and near everpresent for over 4 years, and detractors jumped on his short slump in form this season with a weird glee. He's consistently good for portugal too and I wouldnt be surprised to see him win player of the tournament.

Once again, Bruno Fernandes suffers as much as anyone by us not having a proper midfield behind him. One of our few top players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just came on against Finland. Just played a world class ball to Vitinha. He always plays excellently for his country.
You're not allowed to say things like this. It's an accepted truth on the CAF that Bruno can't play in a possession team.

Not too shabby
Yeah but what's his pass completion look like? :lol:

NZT-One

You start by saying you don't like Bruno and never have, then go on to say you consider yourself relatively neutral. The two don't add up.
I can dislike Mercedes Benz and still acknowledge that they are good cars. I don't see your issue. One is personal opinion where many factors culminate in, other is a sport/subject matter oriented standpoint.

On the second paragraph, I didn't misunderstand it. It was just a ridiculous parallel to make because you were using the idea that luton has a best player to suggest that could justify buying them. To say that a club with the talent of Manchester United should hold on to its best player doesn't mean that we should buy Luton or Burnley's best player. By any logic.
No you seemingly don't understand. The point is self-referencing. When people compare Bruno with his team mates, it is self referencing. It makes sense in some aspects but not in all of them. Just look at the Amrabat thread, same issue - people compare him to old Casemiro, old Eriksen, Bruno in CM and non-position McTominay and come up with the conclusion "man when he is better than them, we really have to keep this guy". But it makes no sense - we aren't playing against ourselves, we are playing against our rivals and recruitment shouldn't be based on whether a player is better in xyz as one of our players (especially when the bunch is as weak as it is) but rather whether a player has the necessary profile and skillset to fit into a system.

That is the thing, Bruno might be the best player in our team. But our team is shit right now. With him in it. That is why endlessly repeating "he is our best/most important/ bla bla bla player" has to be seen in context. You can't tell me that you can't understand my point. I am not even asking you to agree.

And finally you're suggesting we sell Bruno for 65 million and then say you don't care about we replace him with. Eh?!
Mate, I wrote 5 paragraphs to bring my thoughts around. I guess it is more a matter of not wanting to see my point than actually not seeing it. Especially given that I am not even taking an actual stance here.

We have to improve as a team. With or without Bruno. Bringing two players with starting eleven potential in is better than keeping one starter (in my personal opinion and at this specific time for our specific club). And teams play well without such a talented player as Bruno - thats why I don't really see the need for a "replacement". I'd see this point if somebody told me we will play exactly as we are now. But I guess we all hope that isn't going to happen.

Not too shabby
Nice goal. He usually is a starter, isn't he? Is Dalot a starter? And what about Diogo Costa? This guy had all the talks last year or the year before and suddenly you don't seem to hear his name nowhere at all...

Last edited:

He's our main hope. Hopefully he's as good in the Euros as he was in the WC.
Interesting to hear you say that. I thought he was exceptional in the World Cup and had that volley gone in against Morocco you guys would have been my favourites to reach the final.

Do people in Portugal know there's this debate in England about Bruno and whether he's actually any good? If so, how's it seen?

NZT-One

Interesting to hear you say that. I thought he was exceptional in the World Cup and had that volley gone in against Morocco you guys would have been my favourites to reach the final.

Do people in Portugal know there's this debate in England about Bruno and whether he's actually any good? If so, how's it seen?
Come on, cut the crap. Even in this thread there is only a minority of posters that do not accept him being a valueable player - hardly an england-wide debate. What do you want to hear? "Yeah mate, no nobody in Portugal understands how some people can be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dumb to even debate his quality"

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s in mental form right now. Probably the best he’s been in years. I said earlier at some point he’s worth a lump on for player of the tournament.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's our main hope. Hopefully he's as good in the Euros as he was in the WC.
Certainly an outside shout. I think your obvious big problem is the 39 year old elephant in the room…

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Yes he was. He and Pepe were incredible

Nah people don't follow that debate. Portugal isn't like the Scandinavian countries who follow and root for English clubs fervently. In Portugal the debate is centered on Ronaldo and the three big clubs. The only Bruno Fernandes news mentions were about a possible Bayern/Barcelona interest which sounds bs to me.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Incredible player

He’d have even been a starter in our dominant 06-09 period if he was around then IMO

Meh, we can do better easily...

Yeah. Only 92% pass accuracy. Has to be getting up to 95/96% to be taken seriously.

That 8% of the time he's giving the ball away is just putting his teammates under pressure.

Portugal will only become a true possession team when they move beyond Bruno and his Hollywood passing.

Pickle85

Not sure where in this post I profess any impartiality. I am not a fan of Bruno. Never really was. But that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that he has very valuable traits and qualities. And for the rest: Just like you yourself, I consider my stance as relatively neutral and pragmatic. It is what most of us think of our own standpoints, isn't it? Truth is, probably none of us are right about it.

Who would I hope to replace him with? I don't really care. Depends on the system we want to establish and what kinds of players and profiles are available. Our attacking output isn't great with him (obviously not his fault alone) so that is why I am not as shellshocked as a few others in here when considering to let him leave. And like 10 teams in our league alone have attacking output that is better than us so apparently a player like Bruno isn't as crucial as some of his fans think.

Sorry buddy but your analogy still made no sense. The gulf in class between united and luton/Burnley means that saying Bruno is the best we've had in the last five/seven years carries a huge amount more weight than a Luton fan saying that Carlton Morris is the best they've had. It was a silly comparison to make a point that didn't need making.

Again you keep claiming neutrality but then come up with things like this:

NZT-One

Yes he was. He and Pepe were incredible

Nah people don't follow that debate. Portugal isn't like the Scandinavian countries who follow and root for English clubs fervently. In Portugal the debate is centered on Ronaldo and the three big clubs. The only Bruno Fernandes news mentions were about a possible Bayern/Barcelona interest which sounds bs to me.
Ah come on, do him the favor. Somewhere you must have seen people not understanding how there can be debates about Bruno!