Best transfer window ever?

• The window is still open and there's plenty of time to make deals
  • We've made 2 deals already, something that hasn't usually happened at United over the past 10 years.
  • The club was never going to be fixed in 1 window.
  • We need to accept that this is going to take time.
  • It has been successful thus far, been playing great football, 2 promising signings. Admittedly we've only seen one play and he was great from the time he played before getting injured.
We need to not get ahead of ourselves and be upset over us spunking loads of money in a short space of time, that was the worst thing to do. We've complained that football people weren't in place making decisions, we have that now and people are still complaining that things haven't gone the way that they want. There's still 4 weeks left of the window to go.

Plenty of time to make signings but as we all know, any more additional signings is limited to how many players that we can shift in that time. We need to be smart and not get stuffed by FFP. Once we sell McTominay, AWB and maybe Sancho, there will be more movement. Heck I can even see one of Lindelof/Maguire going too, but of course we need signings. We are hamstrung by the last 10 years of mismanagement in terms of signings and sales, which we are now paying the price for, something that arguably has been affecting us the last couple years and it's finally hit a brick wall and we can't do anything, again until we sell.

So yes, I do standby the modern football fan statement, we all want it now now now, without looking at the bigger picture, we all want shiny new toys, but we have to wait.

This part is factually untrue. In the last six seasons that I could be arsed to check, the only one where we hadn’t already made two signings by this date was the covid season, so I’d argue this season is fairly consistent with past ones.

Another constant is your blind optimism in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Once again I couldn’t be arsed looking too deeply, but a quick search of one of the earlier versions of this thread yielded this carbon copy of the message above.

The CAF really is made up of a bunch of entitlement isn’t it.

Despite hardly anyone signing anyone, because of y’know, the Euros, the CAF still expects Man Utd to have signed someone. At this point I don’t even know if the CAF even cares who it is, they just want the club to sign someone, a shiny new toy. So theg can get a dopamine hit when they get that notification on their phone.

The Euros was mere weeks after the season ended. The window opened during the Euros.

Just have some patience for once.

Please don’t mention Depay nor Donnarumma. It’s easy to transfer to a new club when no money is involved bar wages and agent fees. Both transfers are free transfers…….

I’m with you on the fact that the crushing negativity on here goes too far sometimes, and can make this place less enjoyable to contribute to that it could be. But toxic positivity is no better than it’s more miserable counterpoint.

Yes the senior management guys are new, and haven’t had time just yet, but part of the reason they haven’t had more time to put things in place is partly due to incompetence on the part of one of those people, delaying his start because he doesn’t know how to use emails.

They’ve got three weeks to turn this around, it’s been a mediocre display so far.

We still have massive amounts of deadwood in the squad.

Antony
Sancho
Rashford
Casemiro
McTominay
Eriksen
Lindelof
Maguire
AWB
Onana - useless shot stopper but won't be sold

Maybe they're ok as squad players but I'd love to see them all sold

I think if things continue like this we will have to sell players that we don't want to in the future like Mainoo and Garnacho. We have very few sellable assets.

An argument could be made that we should have cashed in on Bruno this summer.

I think if things continue like this we will have to sell players that we don't want to in the future like Mainoo and Garnacho. We have very few sellable assets.

An argument could be made that we should have cashed in on Bruno this summer.
Where is the logic in that? Sell players we don’t want to lose and are crucial to our play, to fund signings that are meant to improve us?

Last edited:
They were "signed" on trainee contracts.

When discussing "Best Transfer Windows" one would likely assume that the discussion is more aimed towards signing first team players NOT players signed on trainee contracts.
Yeah you completely missed the point.

Too early to say, maybe, but the omens are good… think we see the back of Phil Jones … seriously though, Greenwood, Donny, Malacia (Hopefully), Casemiro, Lindelof (maybe), Martial, Eriksen, Sancho (hopefully)…

And add Zirkzee, de Ligt, Yoro, Ugarte, Branthwaite (I have doubts this happens), and even maybe Olmo? No left back… ??
Jinxed it :annoyed:

They were "signed" on trainee contracts.

When discussing "Best Transfer Windows" one would likely assume that the discussion is more aimed towards signing first team players NOT players signed on trainee contracts.

He's talking about Cantona, but if we wanted to nitpick one could argue there was no such thing as a transfer window in 1992.

A window being a relatively small opening, and in those days you could sign players nearly all year, hence him signing in late November.

It was only from around mid-March until the end of the season of when you couldn't buy and sell new players. Nobody used the term transfer window at all until further restrictions were put in place and the name "transfer window" was first coined as part of the proposals to change the system. It was deemed unfair that wealthier clubs could unsettle and buy someone to cover for injuries almost as and when they felt like it, and that the less well off might lose players towards the end of the season when teams were in the fight for trophies or trying to staying up.

I actually do have a hard time of thinking of those days as a window, but that's a personal thing on me. Each to to their own. My mind always thinks summer and winter windows when hearing the term but wouldn't insist that's the only definition.

Last edited:

Antony
Sancho
Rashford
Casemiro
McTominay
Eriksen
Lindelof
Maguire
AWB

Wow. Imagine referring to Marcus Rashford as ‘deadwood’. :rolleyes::eek::nervous:

I was so happy the summer we signed both Ronaldo and Saha in the same window. I felt that we got so much stronger with these two signings.

I was so happy the summer we signed both Ronaldo and Saha in the same window. I felt that we got so much stronger with these two signings.

I miss the days of transfers with no social media. Waking up as a 16 year old and seeing "United sign Ronaldo" on the yellow ticker and immediately getting very excited we signed Brazilian Ronaldo.

I suppose the one we got wasn't too bad..

Pretty sure we signed Saha in a Jan window?

I long for the days that we would add a quality option like Saha when we already had a proven Van Nistelrooy. Then adding Rooney to that too!

I think we will only see AWB, McTominay and Lindelof sold.
In my opinion, we need to get rid of Eriksen, Casemiro, Rashford, Sancho and Antony as well but can't see them leaving during this window.
This has to be their last chance though.

I was trying to be patient, but with less than a week til the start of the season, I'm so so disappointed.

Even if we get De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte tomorrow, they definitely won't be here and ready for the first game of the season.
And I really think we still lack goals in attack.
Amad might come good, but we're hoping, while all the rest are still inconsistent.
I'm baffled that we haven't made a move for one of Coman, Neto, Williams or Olmo.
Funds aren't great but surely more could have been done.

Let's hope they turn it around a bit before the end of the window.

That did not happen. We signed them in separate windows. Ronaldo summer 2003, saha January 2004.

I think we will only see AWB, McTominay and Lindelof sold.
In my opinion, we need to get rid of Eriksen, Casemiro, Rashford, Sancho and Antony as well but can't see them leaving during this window.
This has to be their last chance though.
Agreed. And yes Rashford is a problem still. Fans have quickly forgotten based on the fa cup final.

Very premature post. We’ve signed two players so far unless ive missed some.
Zirkee in but lost Hojlund for weeks/months, result no better off.
Yoro in but injured and out for months. So we are worse off as its stands with Varane and Kambala gone.

Why are Erickson Casamiro and Sancho still here? Could add Mctominay in to that bracket but id keep him a s a squad player.
We need to offload more deadwood to spend.

As it stands, one of our worst transfer windows in years. 2/10.

We've signed the Netherlands 3rd choice striker, who is behind Weghorst and now claims he's not a number 9, more of a "9.5". Then a young defender with lots of potential but is nowhere near the finished article (which we need) and is now 3 months from even starting.

The club still have time to save this window though, but a lot of ins and outs will need to happen.

Feels like the most sensible transfer window in years. Calmness reigns - no panic searching or buying. Long may it continue. If we can get a decent CDM, which I think we will, then that would finish things off nicely.

Antony
Sancho
Rashford
Casemiro
McTominay
Eriksen
Lindelof
Maguire
AWB

Absolutely.

And it's spot on to include Rashford on that list.

Feels like the most sensible transfer window in years. Calmness reigns - no panic searching or buying. Long may it continue. If we can get a decent CDM, which I think we will, then that would finish things off nicely.
I want what you’re having.

The very premise of this thread is actually amusing, because it would take something really spectacular- the likes of which we haven't seen in ages- to have a summer window that could be considered our Best Ever.

For a summer to be the best ever, we'd have to do something like bring in three world-class players, a few decent rotational players, and one or two good young prospects.

So far we've brought in one young, good prospect and one decent rotational player.

I'm not even sure if there are players readily available out there that we could buy to turn this into the best window ever. IS there a world-class striker, holding midfielder, and centerback available right now? All the best ones seem very settled at their clubs and not going anywhere.

The best we could do this summer as far as players who have been linked with moves would probably be Toney, Kimmich, and de Ligt. I'd absolutely take all three of those players immediately into our first eleven, but even then I wouldn't call this the best window ever.

Waiting for the "Can we win the league" thread next after we beat Fulham 2-0.

We’ve made good signings with great potential but it’s pretty clear the past few years of financial mis-management has left us in a position where we need to sell players to buy players.

Clubs know this and are trying to low-ball us and til now we have refused to play along. One side has to let up eventually, it will probably be us 3 days before the window closes.

Considering the need and the expectations associated with the new management structure I think it's likely to be the worst.

It might be that things are happening behind the scenes. There does seem to be less leaks than usual and what is coming out seems like it might be deliberate.

Not selling McT last year was a mistake.

Even so we are still one CB and one CDM lighter in the squad with Wlly and Amrabat gone. So you can argue it's not just about squad space.

Started very well but fizzled out. Still time to make it half decent. I am not losing all hope, yet.

This could be one of the best transfer windows if we bring 3 more players, again it could be but we are not there yet and the club still has alot to do

I am pleased we made 2 signings early in the window, it's frustrating to lose Yoro so early in the pre season but it is still great to have signed him, Zirkzee will bring another dimension to this team and with Hojlund is sidelined, Zirkzee can deputise for him.

It is obvious we are on a budget and sales of Greenwood and Kambwala financed the purchase of Yoro & Zirkzee so I can see why we have not made more signings yet as we need to sell first, hopefully we can sell AWB (likely), Sancho (maybe PSG?) McTominay (there is some interest in him), Pellistri (no news of his possible sale), Majberi (no news on possible move yet) and Lindelof (no news on possible sale yet).

I like the idea of getting both De Ligt & Mazraoui, they will both add quality and raise the bottom level, De Ligt can easily be starter and Yoro his understudy/cover/competition, Mazraoui will be back up to Dalot and perhaps a strong competition too.

We also need a defensive midfielder, Ugarte might be good though I have reservations about his quality, but he might bring his ball winning ability to the team which we lack now, Barge isnt what should we look for and Zubemindi might prove too expensive, hope the club widens the search and gets a quality option in before the window closes.

A dream line up for me would be the below assuming we make sales and get 3 new players in.

Onana
Dalot De Ligt Licha Shaw
Ugarte Mainoo
Bruno
Amad Hojlund Rashford

And the squad will have:
Altay, Heaton, Mazraoui, Yoro, Maguire, Evans, Malacia, Amass?, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Collyer?, Garnacho, Antony, Zirkzee

Really came to a screeching halt didn't it.

It seems we are completely paralysed by our inability to sell players. It's hard to blame that on INEOS but is frustrating nonetheless.

It's difficult to see us getting a decent fee for anyone really. Even when the McTominay to Fulham, AWB to West Ham, Sancho to PSG links surface its genuinely hard to take seriously the idea that we're going to sell a player for a decent price. And that fear is grounded in reality to be fair.

The only hope I have is that we're playing a game of chicken with a few clubs because INEOS know we need to go through the somewhat painful process of changing the perception towards United, that we can basically be transparently taken to the cleaners, but that when it comes down to it we do have the money to get in what we need.

I don't think we're ready for this season at all.