Best transfer window ever?

It doesn’t count as a single window because some came in January, but across the entire 05/06 season, we spent less than £20m and signed Vidic, Evra, Park, Van der Sar and Foster.

That is simply incredible value - even for the time. 4 of those 5 were key players in multiple title wins and a European Cup, and the 5th was a very able backup keeper who we sold for a very healthy profit several years later.

I think if Ivan Tony’s available then we should take the chance to sign him. Like Scholes said we use to have 4 world class ST. Having 3 rotating and playing together should increase our scoring record.

I think if Ivan Tony’s available then we should take the chance to sign him. Like Scholes said we use to have 4 world class ST. Having 3 rotating and playing together should increase our scoring record.

Not disagreeing with you, although I do think things were a lot easier when it came to squad composition when teams played 4-4-2, which we did for at least part of Scholes' career. Difficult to figure out how many you need these days.

Wing forwards are closer to being strikers than traditional wingers were so asking them to fill in at times is an option although we all know how that goes with Rashford! Mind you, you can always look to target players who do have that solid track record of versatility to perform decently in more than one position across the front 3 or 4. From the past a Salomon Kalou type perhaps? He had good enough goals/assists to minutes ratios for Chelsea considering he was often on the bench and could play multiple positions. Handy type to have. Amad may even develop into that for us, wouldn't rule it out.

Hojlund is only really a striker, Zirkzee I don't know that much about so correct me if I'm wrong, I heard he was a bit more versatile, although transfermarkt says he hasn't played that much away from the central role. Another addition could be good, but should it be someone more versatile than Toney? What happens if Hojlund gets on a roll and someone like Toney didn't get much chance to play centrally? Maybe then you'd want someone who had more strings to his bow than Toney so you could play him wider or as an 8 or 10 at times to keep him happy?

Perhaps we actually want to play 2 up top at times? Doesn't even have to be from the start, just within games. That would certainly be a reason to consider a 3rd.

In an ideal world you'd have has many options as possible of course, but finances come into play, PSR too these days as well as giving everyone enough rotation and game time. Perhaps you can get better value by juggling things differently?

It's tricky! I don't have the answer, just thinking out loud. 4-4-2 was a doddle in comparison for squad management. 2 for every position, and if 1 ST is injured or suspended at worst you're first in line to come off the bench with the chance to replace one of 2 different players. 3 into 1 still puts you on the bench if 1 is out, but if you're not versatile you can only come on to replace 1 guy most of the time and if he's playing well then chances are limited.

In terms of quality I'd have no qualms about Toney as an option.

Last edited:
For the foreseeable future it's still 92 and only for one specific reason.

It can't be a good transfer window until we sign a starting DM and a good possession midfielder. Midfielders please! If we go into the PL with the same midfield we are toast.

Things have gone quiet.. When are we picking this up again?!

De Ligt and Ugarte.. GET IN THERE!

This is surely one of the worst when you consider the scale of what is required.

I hope you’re joking
They were "signed" on trainee contracts.

When discussing "Best Transfer Windows" one would likely assume that the discussion is more aimed towards signing first team players NOT players signed on trainee contracts.

It hasn't been a great window so far. We'll probably start the season with the same group of players from the last one, and no improvement to our starting 11.

Still some time left, but plenty of work to do.

Assuming one position out and one position in:

Martial left and replaced by Zirkwee. Is it an upgrade? Martial is a better player but Zirkwee offers stability when ready and hopefully a higher potential than we saw Martial perform

Varane left and replaced by Yoro. Is it an upgrade? Varane is a better player but Yoro offers stability once ready and hopefully a higher potential than we have seen Varane perform

Amrabat left and his replacement is still pending. Assuming we sign Ugarte for the DM position then this position would be the only position we’ve upgraded on from day one. With players we have already departed this transfer should not depend on other sell as we no matter what would need to replace Amrabat

Above transfers would only be to replace players that has left. If we want to have a successful transfer season then we need to strengthen the team beyond the current transfers and at the same time get rid of some players who does not have quality to play for us. This would be replacing (1) Mctominay with a new CM (McTominay has value and would be pure profit once sold), (2) Lindelof with De Ligt especially because the former really offers nothing and finally (3) AWB with a new right back

On top we could sell Pellistri and Hannibal without replacing them and use their cash for above transfers

It's kind of fizzling out now. Can't deny the way we approach signing new players is massively improving but this inability the shift off players is killing us. But it's not the new structures fault, players won't force a move because they are getting paid so much here.

This thread jinxed all the good work we did early on. This should have been made at the end of transfer season and not after we made two signings with lots of surgery still left on the squad

They were "signed" on trainee contracts.

When discussing "Best Transfer Windows" one would likely assume that the discussion is more aimed towards signing first team players NOT players signed on trainee contracts.
It's not the Class of 92 he was referring to
Who else came in in 1992?

It's kind of fizzling out now. Can't deny the way we approach signing new players is massively improving but this inability the shift off players is killing us. But it's not the new structures fault, players won't force a move because they are getting paid so much here.

Is it improving though?

Its the same as in previous years. We get one or two in early, but with the more important targets, everyone knows who we are trying to sign for months but then it takes us until 2 weeks before the season to make a bid and half the time we don't end up signing them, and make panic signings on deadline day instead. So far this season is heading exactly the same way.

The struggling to shift players has been happening for years but then we won't accept low bids for overpaid players so what do we expect? We wouldn't take West Ham's bid for McTominay last year for example. Now if we do sell him it will be for less. Or he'll leave for free. Same thing now happening with Bissaka.

A pretty average transfer window. I wont be surprised if our transfer business is done for the season. The de Ligt saga is all it is, a protracted aimless pursuit of a player who wants to make it happen but circumstances just won’t let it become a reality

It's not over yet, this thread was massively premature obviously. Still time for thing to be rectified, but it looks like once again we'll go into the season with gaping holes in the squad.

A pretty average transfer window. I wont be surprised if our transfer business is done for the season. The de Ligt saga is all it is, a protracted aimless pursuit of a player who wants to make it happen but circumstances just won’t let it become a reality
We must accept defeat at all costs!

If we sell McTominay, Lindelof, AWB and bring in Ugarte, Mazraoui, De Ligt then it will be decent.

We should still get rid of Maguire, Casemiro, Sancho and upgrading those positions but they are quite challenging to sell due to high salaries.

So you think this is a successful summer then?
  • The window is still open and there's plenty of time to make deals
  • We've made 2 deals already, something that hasn't usually happened at United over the past 10 years.
  • The club was never going to be fixed in 1 window.
  • We need to accept that this is going to take time.
  • It has been successful thus far, been playing great football, 2 promising signings. Admittedly we've only seen one play and he was great from the time he played before getting injured.
We need to not get ahead of ourselves and be upset over us spunking loads of money in a short space of time, that was the worst thing to do. We've complained that football people weren't in place making decisions, we have that now and people are still complaining that things haven't gone the way that they want. There's still 4 weeks left of the window to go.

Plenty of time to make signings but as we all know, any more additional signings is limited to how many players that we can shift in that time. We need to be smart and not get stuffed by FFP. Once we sell McTominay, AWB and maybe Sancho, there will be more movement. Heck I can even see one of Lindelof/Maguire going too, but of course we need signings. We are hamstrung by the last 10 years of mismanagement in terms of signings and sales, which we are now paying the price for, something that arguably has been affecting us the last couple years and it's finally hit a brick wall and we can't do anything, again until we sell.

So yes, I do standby the modern football fan statement, we all want it now now now, without looking at the bigger picture, we all want shiny new toys, but we have to wait.

There is no club in Europe that both want Sancho, and also would want to pay - or maybe even afford - his salary.

Selling him will be nigh on impossible.

This must be a hilarious thread for opposition fans.
I still don't see what changed under Ineos, but they have enough time to still make things happen I guess.

Silly thread. People just got overexcited about a few early (but not even particularly exciting) rumours.

Best transfer window ever despite us currently heading into the season with a first XI that is weaker then then the first XI that we finished last season with. INEOS have played a blinder.

Best transfer window ever despite us currently heading into the season with a first XI that is weaker then then the first XI that we finished last season with. INEOS have played a blinder.
We say this every fecking year :lol: :lol::lol::lol:

This must be a hilarious thread for opposition fans.
I still don't see what changed under Ineos, but they have enough time to still make things happen I guess.
Currently it mirrors so many windows before. We can't shift our dross & are linked with big club rejects or the manager's chums. This ends with the McTom's & the Maguire's staying & we over paying for future deadwood after getting desperate.

I hope I am wrong and INEOS pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it's eerily similar so far.

Currently it mirrors so many windows before. We can't shift our dross & are linked with big club rejects or the manager's chums. This ends with the McTom's & the Maguire's staying & we over paying for future deadwood after getting desperate.

I hope I am wrong and INEOS pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it's eerily similar so far.
It really isn't

2025 will be the best one :smirk:

Jarrad Branthwaite 65m, Adam Wharton 110m, Cole Palmer 150m