Best transfer window ever?

I can understand being excited about Yoro, as from all accounts he seems to be a young talent on the level of Mainoo.

But is anyone really excited about Zirkzee? He seems like a bang average prospect and absolutely not the deadly goalscorer we desperately need. In fact it's hard to see how signing him really gets us any closer to where we need to be.

I like him because he creates chances for others. Maybe its just me but he looks a bit like Benzema when he was playing in service of Ronaldo. Feel like Hojlund has the potential to be a deadly goalscorer, every team needs different player profiles. He is essentially our Martial replacement, only less brittle and more energetic. Probably not as clinical (yet).

The best transfer window should always determined by the season that proceeds it. Transfers are only good in hindsight, our best in recent times was the 07 summer of Tevez, Anderson, Hargreaves and Nani as they were all key contributors to the double that season.

Otherwise, it’s all hype with very little end product, which has been the case for the last decade.

Its been a really promising start (on paper, though the Yoro fee is a bit scary). Lets see what happens now. Realistically, i suspect any more incomings are going to depend on out goings.

Not sure.

Zirkzee is an okay signing, who will improve the current team, and may or may not develop into something great 3+ years from now.

Yoro has potential to be our best signing since probably Rooney and Ronaldo, but even with all the talent he has, it's not 100% that his development goes perfectly or there won't be injuries, etc. We need to make sure we give him the best possible chances of fulfilling his potential...which is probably becoming one of the greatest centre halves ever seen.

Ugarte doesn't move me and I don't think he's what we need. I'm still hoping our interest isn't as serious as it is being reported and that another midfield target will appear soon.

Last edited:
I don't know about the best one EVER, but this one is definitely impressive.

We are getting our business done early instead of the usual panic buys in late August, and we are actually selling players rather than them leaving on a free.

I'm impressed with what I've seen from INEOS so far. Long may it continue.

A good transfer window will create a transition season. Chelsea only started to gel towards the end of last season.

Personally I’d like to see a few more leave:
Maguire or Lindelof.
Malacia (who’d touch him).
McTominay.
Erickson.
Anthony.
Casimeiro.

That’s a lot of our squad and a lot of carnage to replace. Where do you start without given Eric an unproven, ungelled squad, with him not knowing the players well enough to know his best team. It feels like suicide but also the right thing to do if we can.

I don't know about the best one EVER, but this one is definitely impressive.

We are getting our business done early instead of the usual panic buys in late August, and we are actually selling players rather than them leaving on a free.

I'm impressed with what I've seen from INEOS so far. Long may it continue.

We signed Onana and Mount last season by similar timeline.

Impressed.
Imagine what INEOS could do with 100% ownership!!

Impressed.
Imagine what INEOS could do with 100% ownership!!
Don't think anything would change tbh. The glazers are good at the commercial side of the club, ineos would only be keeping that going there isn't much to improve.

A good transfer window will create a transition season. Chelsea only started to gel towards the end of last season.

Personally I’d like to see a few more leave:
Maguire or Lindelof.
Malacia (who’d touch him).
McTominay.
Erickson.
Anthony.
Casimeiro.

That’s a lot of our squad and a lot of carnage to replace. Where do you start without given Eric an unproven, ungelled squad, with him not knowing the players well enough to know his best team. It feels like suicide but also the right thing to do if we can.

Antony won't be going anywhere.

…all of whom scored in a Champions League shootout win.
Yep, three in the first five. Carrick who signed the year before and of course Ronaldo. Anderson scoring his is funny to look back on given how crap he was in front of goal

Out of this lot, only Tevez was WC. The rest were slightly above average throughout their career at United.
Fair but the impact they had straight away into the next season where we won the double was big

This is to be judged at the end of the season, we have had a number of such threads in the past... with so much promise only to be sh......
This. Antony tore it up in the Netherlands and yet is awful in the premier, same as Pogback, for two examples. Lets mention its the best window ever at the end of next season.

Every summer there is one of these threads or previously ones praising Woodward/Murtough/the kit man whenever we've made a signing.

Too early to say, maybe, but the omens are good… think we see the back of Phil Jones … seriously though, Greenwood, Donny, Malacia (Hopefully), Casemiro, Lindelof (maybe), Martial, Eriksen, Sancho (hopefully)…

And add Zirkzee, de Ligt, Yoro, Ugarte, Branthwaite (I have doubts this happens), and even maybe Olmo? No left back… ??
Depends how the season goes. You have to judge transfer windows retrospectively. My favourite window was the one we signed Pogba and Mkhitaryan and Zlatan, but in reality it didn't amount to what we all hoped.

They're never the best window in July. Let's see how they get on.

But it's certainly an exciting start to a window and has the makings of one where it revives hopes we can massively improve on last year, which is a must in the league as that was rather pathetic.

We need at least 2-3 more though. Just a very very young centre back coming into the team from the French league and a guy that looks skilled but played at Bologna is unlikely to be enough on their own. These are more signings that give hope for the future than immediate, although they could of course settle fast.

Only time will tell, but some windows do look more exciting than others and this one of them so far.

Cautiously optimistic because there was a lot of hype about these summer windows too:

2014 - Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Falcao
2015 - Martial, Schneiderlin, Memphis, Darmian, Schweinsteiger
2016 - Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Zlatan
2017 - Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof

Only time will tell, but some windows do look more exciting than others and this one of them so far.

Cautiously optimistic because there was a lot of hype about these summer windows too:

2014 - Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera, Blind, Falcao
2015 - Martial, Schneiderlin, Memphis, Darmian, Schweinsteiger
2016 - Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Zlatan
2017 - Lukaku, Matic, Lindelof
Annnnnd... my excitement is over.

If we get Ugarte and Rabiot and a new LB it will definitely be up there.

Not sure.

Zirkzee is an okay signing, who will improve the current team, and may or may not develop into something great 3+ years from now.

Yoro has potential to be our best signing since probably Rooney and Ronaldo, but even with all the talent he has, it's not 100% that his development goes perfectly or there won't be injuries, etc. We need to make sure we give him the best possible chances of fulfilling his potential...which is probably becoming one of the greatest centre halves ever seen.

Ugarte doesn't move me and I don't think he's what we need. I'm still hoping our interest isn't as serious as it is being reported and that another midfield target will appear soon.

This is way overblown and exactly the kind of thinking that will end up with us disappointed with every player we buy. He's the most promising 18-year-old CB around this summer. Within a year, or two at most, there'll be another one everyone is just as excited about.

I'm a fan and very pleased we signed him and excited to see him develop. But let's ease back on the hype a little.

This is way overblown and exactly the kind of thinking that will end up with us disappointed with every player we buy. He's the most promising 18-year-old CB around this summer. Within a year, or two at most, there'll be another one everyone is just as excited about.

I'm a fan and very pleased we signed him and excited to see him develop. But let's ease back on the hype a little.

No, it isn't.

I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but Yoro has an all-timer profile. There haven't been any all-timer teenager defender profiles in the last 5 years except Trent, Saliba and Gvardiol, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Why do you think we were so insistent on getting him? Because when these kids appear every few years, every top team will want them. The chances of you landing even one of them is fairly low.

No, it isn't.

I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but Yoro has an all-timer profile. There haven't been any all-timer teenager defender profiles in the last 5 years except Trent, Saliba and Gvardiol, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Why do you think we were so insistent on getting him? Because when these kids appear every few years, every top team will want them. The chances of you landing even one of them is fairly low.

If you can't see how mad it is to say about any 18-year old CB that he'll 'probably be one of the greatest centre-halves ever seen', I'm not sure what to say.

You offer Trent, Saliba and Gvardiol as comparisons. They're all doing or have at some point done very well - you've picked positive examples. We could probably identify a few who were similarly hyped at 18 who have vanished. But even those three are really no closer to being seen as 'one of the greatest ever seen'.

If you can't see how mad it is to say about any 18-year old CB that he'll 'probably be one of the greatest centre-halves ever seen', I'm not sure what to say.

You offer Trent, Saliba and Gvardiol as comparisons. They're all doing or have at some point done very well - you've picked positive examples. We could probably identify a few who were similarly hyped at 18 who have vanished. But even those three are really no closer to being seen as 'one of the greatest ever seen'.

Where did I say that? "We need to make sure we give him the best possible chances of fulfilling his potential...which is probably becoming one of the greatest centre halves ever seen."

Where does it say he'll become that? He can become that if his development goes well.

Gvardiol and Saliba are very early on in their careers. Both of them are doing very well for their teams. Trent will probably have to leave Liverpool and go to Madrid in order to be acknowledged as the player he is.

Yes the hype and pressure of expectations added to the self conscious age of the Internet makes for a tough environment for the growth and development of talented kids/youth players

We've signed potential but haven't even improved the starting XI for this season yet.

The transfer window when we signed Veron and Van Nistelrooy was hailed as a booming success at the time.

Think people are getting a bit carried away. Both signings so far have great potential but not likely to start this season with a bang. Given the hype already around Yoro both media and online fans will be on him when he makes a mistake. The biggest issue for young United players is dealing with the pressure.

Zirkzee is a bench option which couldn’t make it at Bayern.

I like the fact we have done business quick, going for players under 25 and prices don’t seem crazy (though Yoro had 1 year on his contract).

We desperately need a solid DM and I want a ball playing midfielder like Eriksen. Given our injury issues at LB I’m surprised we aren’t linked with one. Instead we are trying to selling AWB so need a RB if he goes.

The signings we are making will take time to bed in so I don’t see us suddenly challenging for the league, top 4 is going to be a struggle.

People lose their memory every summer window. There have been many years we have been in overdrive with excitement at the transfers we’ve made in the post Fergie era.

Summer 2016 - Zlatan, Bailly, Pogba, Mkhitaryan right after bringing in Jose. People thought we could win the league. There still hasn’t been a signing for us that caused more excitement than Pogba in 2016.

Summer 2021 - This was insane. Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo. I’ve noticed people retrospectively downplaying this but at the time Old Trafford was on fire.

Summer 2014 - Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao, Blind, Rojo. Even in hindsight, this was still a hell of a window. I still maintain that up until we collapsed in the Leicester game, DI Maria was one of the most exciting new signings we’ve ever had, he was electric. Then LVG went conservative and the cnut in ADM came out.

People lose their memory every summer window. There have been many years we have been in overdrive with excitement at the transfers we’ve made in the post Fergie era.

Summer 2016 - Zlatan, Bailly, Pogba, Mkhitaryan right after bringing in Jose. People thought we could win the league. There still hasn’t been a signing for us that caused more excitement than Pogba in 2016.

Summer 2021 - This was insane. Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo. I’ve noticed people retrospectively downplaying this but at the time Old Trafford was on fire.

Summer 2014 - Shaw, Herrera, Di Maria, Falcao, Blind, Rojo. Even in hindsight, this was still a hell of a window. I still maintain that up until we collapsed in the Leicester game, DI Maria was one of the most exciting new signings we’ve ever had, he was electric. Then LVG went conservative and the cnut in ADM came out.
Yep, and you'll find threads on here praising Woodward, Murtough etc at the same time.

I honestly think we are going to sign like 6 players, all under 25. We will also sell 7-8 players. We’ve thought this was impossible in the past but we’ve also been dealing with incompetence. Ineos will want to show intent, they will want success as soon as they can get it and having a clean slate under new leadership with the right management team and squad in place is imperative. They will want this season to be like a fresh start for the club.

The best transfer window should always determined by the season that proceeds it. Transfers are only good in hindsight, our best in recent times was the 07 summer of Tevez, Anderson, Hargreaves and Nani as they were all key contributors to the double that season.

Otherwise, it’s all hype with very little end product, which has been the case for the last decade.

What a Summer that was. Never been so excited as a United fan.