Best transfer window ever?

Yoro
Zirkzee
De Ligt
Mazraoui

So far it's 5/10

Lots of potential to increase that number if we can add a CDM, LB, LCB, RW and CM

Selling Casemiro/Lindelof/Sancho/Pellestri /McTominay/Antony are key to those deals happening so see what INEOS can do.
So you're saying it's an excellent window only of 9 quality players are brought in? That's just entirely unrealistic and therefore definitely not something the club aims for even in its highest ambition. What's the point of even hoping for that?

If you had actually looked into it, Juve never wanted to sell him.

...and Bayern do, right now, because they're trying to bring in a player who they've deemed better.

I'm not trying to slag him off, here, I'm just saying that he's good, but not world class good.

...and Bayern do, right now, because they're trying to bring in a player who they've deemed better.

I'm not trying to slag him off, here, I'm just saying that he's good, but not world class good.
Where are those quotes? Bayern don't really want to sell but they need to lower wages. They want to replace him for a player who earns sub 100.000 a week while he is, i believe, over 300K a week.

When these signings are fully fit I think United set a huge step towards a team that can play modern football. There are still some players that need to go and the midfield needs at least 1 more mobile DM and another ballplaying center mid (more mobile/younger Eriksen) but so far, so very good.

Let’s wait and see with De Ligt. He was my dream signing when Juve signed him. I was buzzing when we signed Varane. So I’m hesitant now to be too excited.

De Ligt has the potential to be our best signing since Bruno. Could also be a crock.

So you're saying it's an excellent window only of 9 quality players are brought in? That's just entirely unrealistic and therefore definitely not something the club aims for even in its highest ambition. What's the point of even hoping for that?
10/10 should mean perfect, flawless or unbelievable.

Yoro
Zirkzee
De Ligt
Mazraoui

So far it's 5/10

Lots of potential to increase that number if we can add a CDM, LB, LCB, RW and CM

Selling Casemiro/Lindelof/Sancho/Pellestri /McTominay/Antony are key to those deals happening so see what INEOS can do.

I agree. Underwhelming. I would have liked to see a centre mid because if Casemiro is like he was last season, we are in trouble.

Maybe it is also because Yoro is out for 3 months.

Beyond AWB, we have not been able to make sales. And even then, 15mil is pennies because we are giving him away just to get him off the wage bill. It will be the same case with Sancho, McTominay and Maguire. Never the less, it still has to be done because there is no point in carrying all the dead weight.

Incomings are solid, the game model stuff makes sense, we mostly won't have square pegs round holes type situations this season barring some really bad injury crisis. Outgoings are disappointing. My original target was close to 100m on sales with Sancho, Casemiro, McTominay, Lindelof all leaving.

45M EUR raised so far and did a good job with Greenwood so that's something.

I'd give it a 8/10 if we manage to sell Sancho to PSG / Juve with Ugarte coming in. It doesn't seem like there's interest in Casemiro and I think holding out for more than 20m for McTominay makes sense.

Transfer windows being judged during the window itself or even shortly after it’s closed is largely meaningless. The true picture regarding its success can really only be judged well after once the signings and the team has a chance to prove itself.

But just as a causal thought exercise, I’d say that we’re at a 7 right now. We’ve overhauled central defence as was needed, and the profile of players we’ve signed is - Mazraoui aside - what I wanted. U24, talented and not too big a fee. I’ve said before that for a few years we don’t need to sign 80/100m pound players anymore. Focus on smart signings with a budget to build the squad up and earn the right to spend big once you have a team ready.

The downside and why it’s a 7 and not higher is because our midfield is still poor and we aren’t targeting any midfielders who excel at passing and that will never fail to bemuse me. And we still need a LB and to sell out expensive duds.

I agree. Underwhelming. I would have liked to see a centre mid because if Casemiro is like he was last season, we are in trouble.

Maybe it is also because Yoro is out for 3 months.

Beyond AWB, we have not been able to make sales. And even then, 15mil is pennies because we are giving him away just to get him off the wage bill. It will be the same case with Sancho, McTominay and Maguire. Never the less, it still has to be done because there is no point in carrying all the dead weight.
AWB wasn't the only one we sold. There is Greenwood, WIlly Kambwala, Alvaro Fernandes, vdb and a few other free transfers.

Players I think we still REALLY need to get rid off:

- Lindelof - We dont need him anymore (would rather keep Harry, but if a very good offers comes...)
- Hannibal - Never gonna happen anymore
- AWB - We have Mazraoui now
- Pellistri - Never gonna happen anymore
- Sancho/Antony - Depends on who Ten Hag thinks he can still tickle the most, who is least (NOT!) toxic in the squad when not playing and which offers come in to offload one of them.

Then you have Eriksen and McTominay.. It all depends on the offers coming in.. Personally I dont mind keeping them both on as I think they can still have value for the squad coming from the bench when needed and as options to rest others in Europe/Cup games.. Eriksen doesnt have the legs anymore to be considered an actual starting/competing option, but brings calmness and control in the team when he comes in.. McTom is nowhere good enough as a starter for United, but his attitude I think is inspring for the squad and is also what you need on the training pitch.. Apart from that as an impact sub coming in in the final stages of the game I think he can win us some points in a year as he did last year..

If we can manage the aboven And sign one more midfielder, it would be a very very very good transfer window!

What would make is perfect from thereafter is:
- Sign a talented lb who can push shaw and cover for him.. (basically what we did with Malacia two years ago..)
- Swap Eriksen with a young talented version of him which offers similar strengts, so can cover for Mainoo, but who still has the legs and room to grow.
- Get rid of both Sancho and Antony and bring in another winger.

Last edited:
With De ligt and Mazraoui in I'd give it a 6. Extra points for -

1) 1 extra point for - A DM hopefully Ugarte
2) 1 extra point for - Selling 4 of Hannibal, Eriksen, Lindelof, Pellistri, McTominay, Sancho, Casemiro, Antony - yeah some are unlikely but its just a list of who should go.
3) 1 extra point for - An actual left back. I dont fall for this nonsense that we have 5 left backs, Shaw, Malacia, Dalot, Mazraoui, Martinez, Amass etc. None of them are an actual left back that's reliable and ready. Mazraoui, Dalot, Martinez - Not actual Left Backs, Shaw, Malacia, Mazraoui - not reliable, Amass - not ready. Its like saying we dont need a DM because we have Case, McTominay, Martinez, Collyer that can play there. Yeah we do but its not good enough. Get Gutierrez or Kadiologu etc and it would make a world of difference.
4) 1 extra point for - A cherry on top, last minute, left field, unforeseen signing. Should be an attacker - 30 mill last day Toney transfer for example or Nico Williams

That would be a 10 out of 10. Yes 10 we can argue that a 10 out of 10 should include Mbappe and should be impossible but its a 10 out of 10 in terms of best we could do.
Do I think it will happen? - no. of course not. But its not impossible. Yes PSR but who the fk knows what it is except the Man Utd accountant and Ineos. Ugarte and new LB should take us to 200 mill ish. Thats around our normal spend. If we sell 4+ players for 40/50/60 that might get us the cherry on top player.

Look at his nick…

With De ligt and Mazraoui in I'd give it a 6. Extra points for -

1) 1 extra point for - A DM hopefully Ugarte
2) 1 extra point for - Selling 4 of Hannibal, Eriksen, Lindelof, Pellistri, McTominay, Sancho, Casemiro, Antony - yeah some are unlikely but its just a list of who should go.
3) 1 extra point for - An actual left back. I dont fall for this nonsense that we have 5 left backs, Shaw, Malacia, Dalot, Mazraoui, Martinez, Amass etc. None of them are an actual left back that's reliable and ready. Mazraoui, Dalot, Martinez - Not actual Left Backs, Shaw, Malacia, Mazraoui - not reliable, Amass - not ready. Its like saying we dont need a DM because we have Case, McTominay, Martinez, Collyer that can play there. Yeah we do but its not good enough. Get Gutierrez or Kadiologu etc and it would make a world of difference.
4) 1 extra point for - A cherry on top, last minute, left field, unforeseen signing. Should be an attacker - 30 mill last day Toney transfer for example or Nico Williams

That would be a 10 out of 10. Yes 10 we can argue that a 10 out of 10 should include Mbappe and should be impossible but its a 10 out of 10 in terms of best we could do.
Do I think it will happen? - no. of course not. But its not impossible. Yes PSR but who the fk knows what it is except the Man Utd accountant and Ineos. Ugarte and new LB should take us to 200 mill ish. Thats around our normal spend. If we sell 4+ players for 40/50/60 that might get us the cherry on top player.

Agree with this. If we sign a DM I would've given it a 7/10. We need to get rid of all the deadwood to go even higher.

Looks like we are very keen on Evan Ferguson from Brighton and Dan Ashworth contacts are the Key here.

If we get rid of few from this list "Sancho, Antony, Pellestri, Eriksen, Scott, Hannibal, Lindelof" and sign Ugarte it would be 10/10,

What do you think of replacing Rashford with Evan Ferguson as Zirkzee can play on wing.

-------------------------------------------Ferguson/Hojlund----------------------------------

-----Garancho/Zirkzee-------------------Bruno/Mount----------------Amad/Antony

-----------------Mainoo/Rabiot----------------------Ugarte/Casemiro-----------------------

-------Shaw/Amass----------Lisandro/Maguire--------Deligt/Yoro----------Dalot/Mazroui

Looks like we are very keen on Evan Ferguson from Brighton and Dan Ashworth contacts are the Key here.

If we get rid of few from this list "Sancho, Antony, Pellestri, Eriksen, Scott, Hannibal, Lindelof" and sign Ugarte it would be 10/10,

What do you think of replacing Rashford with Evan Ferguson as Zirkzee can play on wing.

-------------------------------------------Ferguson/Hojlund----------------------------------

-----------------Mainoo/Rabiot----------------------Ugarte/Casemiro-----------------------

-------Shaw/Amass----------Lisandro/Maguire--------Deligt/Yoro----------Dalot/Mazroui

I'd be more keen on Ferguson if we hadn't already signed Zirkzee. If we can get rid of 3/4 from your list and sign Ugarte or another good dm then I agree it will have been a great window.

In what universe can Zirkzee play on the wing or has he ever played on a wing before or does he have the skillset to be a good winger.. You can argue whether he is a 10, a 9.5 or a striker, but he is 100% a central player..

5/10 on paper at this time. Potential to be a 9 with the right outgoings and two midfield signings, potential to be a 3 if we’re still without any midfield reinforcements and are stuck paying the likes of Sancho to warm the bench.
While Ugarte will be a really good replacement for Casemiro whether he leaves this summer or next, we still need a top deep lying playmaker for me. United at our best have rarely had a destroyer type, we’ve normally operated with a DLP and box to box players.

If we can somehow sell Eriksen and McTominay and replace them with Ugarte and Rabiot it'll be an excellent window considering we have no CL. Neither of them would be my 1st choices for midfield but both would contribute far more than the players they are replacing. I'm willing to give Cas another season with, hopefully, a new midfield set-up unless a very good offer comes in for him.

Fine with effectively swapping AWB for Mazraoui. Personally, I'd have preferred prioritising a DM over signing De Ligt. I also think not signing a LB is a big miss as well. We don't need to spend much money on a LB but just have a competent body in the squad (unless the plan is for Martinez to be that guy). There's every chance, Malacia and Shaw will be unavailable at the same time which then puts us in a sticky situation if one of Dalot or Mazraoui become unavailable.

Sell McTominay and Casemiro, add Frenkie and Berge. And I see our defense and midfield fixed. Pray that Rashford plays good and Hojlund doesn't get injured a lot, and we may win the league.

If we can somehow sell Eriksen and McTominay and replace them with Ugarte and Rabiot it'll be an excellent window considering we have no CL. Neither of them would be my 1st choices for midfield but both would contribute far more than the players they are replacing. I'm willing to give Cas another season with, hopefully, a new midfield set-up unless a very good offer comes in for him.
When not using Rabiot to his full extent anyways, then for 30/45/60 minutes of impact here and there, I’d rather have Eriksen. His qualities for a pass is still unmatched by many. He should maximum have a squad role and be after Mount though.

Sign Ugarte and get rid of Casemiro makes it a pretty good window for me. Casemiro is the hard part, but we should almost give him away, considering the moral impact it has that he plays badly and rakes in huge wages.

Not fully convinced on the bayern signings yet, and I think we badly need a left back too.

Long term project, but Rome wasn’t build in a day.

Good window. We can‘t however easily sell players on big wages. That‘s an issue that will haunt us a few more transfer windows.

In the Ligt of that, good window.

Who then? If we did have CL (realistically of course)

I think we could have solved our CB issues for the next 5 years, that is a massive step forward

Full back, if Marzaoui + Amass, fit Shaw, Martinez at LB is a big improvement, Malacia potentially back before xmas too, but still some big injury concerns over everyone except Dalot and Amass

Assuming we sign at least 1 midfielder capable of playing further back, with the introduction of Collyer, Mainoo's 2nd season, and Case looking fit for the start of the season (still big Qs over Case at this level now), I think we will be much better, as for who TBH I know little about Ugarte, Berge or Fofana, only the obligatory YT and the completely unbiased and objective views of my fellow caf posters, I like the idea of a Berge redemption story especially if the price tag is low, I am excited about Ugarte but also slightly concerned that he could be a bit of a headless chicken player

Further forward a fit Mount is a great option, and potentially Zirkzee dropping in, I do not have concerns about our forward play, in terms of recruitment, I do not think we need another striker, I think we need to sort out giving service to the striker we have before thinking about buying another, I think especially if we are playing Amad or/Garnacho over Antony, we will be more creative, we have potentially 7 attacking players all capable of 15+ goal seasons, + McT if he stays

So in terms of incomings, 1-2 mids and I would rate it 10/10 not just for who we have recruited, but how we have gone about it and the value of the deals made, it is like chalk and cheese to the previous regime

In terms of outgoings, it is slightly trickier to fix and will take more time, shifting Greenwood, and VDB, losing Martial, and getting good money for AWB, Kambwala and Fernadez has to make it a minimum 6/10 window, baring a miracle we are stuck with Antony so I am ignoring him for now, but we could still shift Lindelof and Sancho, that would make it 9/10

Time will obviously tell, but so far this has to be the best window I can remember post SAF, just because we have made really shrewd, targeted additions

I'd consider it very high if we do shift more of the squad as a bloated squad contains players that become unhappy and that unhappiness spreads....

Impossible? Wow. Let's pack up then pay off his contract right now.
Step 1: Look up his wages.
Step 2: Find a club who would want him on anywhere close to, or even half that wage.
Step 3: Explain how we then could sell him and to who, except Saudi Arabia.
Step 4: Realize that underperforming players on massive wages are impossible to shift in this market, unless a Saudi club goes bonkers.
Step 5: This step also includes a young player actually wanting to move to Saudi Arabia, effectively ending their career at an early age.

Step 1: Look up his wages.
Step 2: Find a club who would want him on anywhere close to, or even half that wage.
Step 3: Explain how we then could sell him and to who, except Saudi Arabia.
Step 4: Realize that underperforming players on massive wages are impossible to shift in this market, unless a Saudi club goes bonkers.
Step 5: This step also includes a young player actually wanting to move to Saudi Arabia, effectively ending their career at an early age.
Saudi going bonkers is an option. Impossible is a bad choice of word. It's that simple. There are better words you could use to explain the likelihood of us being able to sell him.

Agree with most it’s 8/10 atm add a DM or midfield cover can push it to 9 or even 10. Most at what we have done so far has not only cover positions we needed but also added quality.

Couple of weeks till the end of the window will revisit that later

This is shaping up to be a good window. Some are being far too negative. If we can bring in Ugarte then it's an 8/10 in my view.

From my perspective, to improve on an 8/10, we would need to sell a few more (realistic) players.

A 10 is an impossibility because that would require making unrealistic sales. In my opinion, Rashford, Sancho and Antony, whilst signing two new wingers and adding genuine cover/competition for Mainoo. These are things that I hope we pursue next summer. Although I do think that getting some genuine cover/competition for Mainoo could/should have been achievable this window.

People need to relax, we’ve addressed so many issues within the squad already and are trying to maintain the balance within the team.

We also still have time to bring in Ugarte on loan and I believe we will get it done before the window closes.

Chelsea are signing everyone going and have triple cover for nearly every position and it’s not a good thing, causes more instability than anything.

So far the window we have had has been very good. We’ve brought in some great additions, dubious of the Zirkzee signing, willing to hold reservation until he gets game time.

As a transfer window overall, the rest of the prem seem way behind, long time to go but seems strangely poor for the majority of teams

Saudi going bonkers is an option. Impossible is a bad choice of word. It's that simple. There are better words you could use to explain the likelihood of us being able to sell him.
Agreed and you're right, it's certainly a possibility in the technical sense.

I just wouldn't hold my breath and hold out hope for it to happen, because the probability is just so incredibly low. So I'll take your cue and say highly improbable, though not impossible.

When not using Rabiot to his full extent anyways, then for 30/45/60 minutes of impact here and there, I’d rather have Eriksen. His qualities for a pass is still unmatched by many. He should maximum have a squad role and be after Mount though.
I actually think Eriksen is near unserviceable as a midfielder in the league, certainly not in any combination of midfielders we could field. Maybe it'd be different if we could field players like both Rodri and Valverde next to him, and even then I would be hugely worried if he had to play significant minutes for ~5 league games.