Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

Man, how fecking stupid do you have to be to post that publically. I don't ever let anyone post even pictures or videos of my drunk on a night out.

Also, absolute anecdote that probably isn't representative, but every single Argentinian and Uruguayan I've ever known has been a huge, unsubtle racist. One guy I knew used to refer to KFC as "Negro fast food," unironically, and not even as a 'joke'.

I love South America, have spent a lot of great time there but their racism is something else. Often hide behind the fact they're Latino and therefore can't possibly be racist.

You don't know the criteria of my numerous lists, that's what you have completely missed.

He'll go from the "get fecked" list to the "he's a bellend" list if, after he talks to them, all the french players forgive him.

That's why I send that it was perplexing and added that I could be missing something. There was no context to your post other than taking a player off a "feck off list".

That part of the song was racist? Unbelievable Jeff.
I and friends have laughed (sometimes with sadness at what could have been if Africa was developed enough to stop the mass migration) at the 'blackness' of the French national team. Nothing to see here.
Don't cry for me, Argentina
The truth is, I never left you
All through my wild days, my mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

What the feck?

My "get to feck list" is personal. It's my list!

Him being singing a racist song and causing the team to be a dysfunctional mess is more annoying to me than him signing a racist song and it not.

It's that part that I thought was perplexing. The reaction of french players shouldn't really affect whether he is on your list or not. Unless I completely missed something.
What JP said. I get the feeling you posted something a bit silly and are shifting goalposts because you don't want to admit you said something silly! :)

I was going to say how would Mbappe feel about a new teammate calling him a "transeater" but then I saw Real Madrid have no Argentinean players. That feels like a "Weird feelings of football" thing. I just assumed they would've had a couple of Argentineans in the squad.

Don't know whether they are indeed racists.
Though, it's clear they are dumb (as all their ancestors have been immigrants as well) and uneducated (as neither Angola, Cameroon nor Nigeria were former French colonies). Isn't Mbappé's mom from Algeria anyway?

It's the same country which cried out loud for foul play 2014 because the German team performed a funny dance mocking the Argentinan team in victory parade in Germany.
Don’t mean to be that guy but Cameroon was in fact a French colony. Part of it was British though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Cameroon

I and friends have laughed (sometimes with sadness at what could have been if Africa was developed enough to stop the mass migration) at the 'blackness' of the French national team. Nothing to see here.
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance
Dude. But let's try once.

The song is meant to be insulting, as is clear from the other comments a out Mbappé. So the bits about France's players having African roots isn't meant as an objective observation, it's meant to sting. And it only does if there's racist intention: that somehow these players aren't actually French (despite all or almost of them even having been born in France). And of course, they only mention African roots, not the various international roots of white players in the French team. Given this is a common racist trope, it's pretty obvious that the song is racist in nature.

Maybe it doesn't affect you, but that's a different thing.

We wouldn’t be able to get such a midfielder from Chelsea in normal circumstances, not to mention at a likely discounted price.
It's true, racists are always most financially attractive in the midst of their racist escapades.

Don't know whether they are indeed racists.
Though, it's clear they are dumb (as all their ancestors have been immigrants as well) and uneducated (as neither Angola, Cameroon nor Nigeria were former French colonies). Isn't Mbappé's mom from Algeria anyway?

It's the same country which cried out loud for foul play 2014 because the German team performed a funny dance mocking the Argentinan team in victory parade in Germany.
Are you doing this thing where people make a difference between saying something racist and being racist?

I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance
There are ways to make jokes about the ethnic background of the French NT that are not inherently problematic, especially in the context of them representing a population that vote in large numbers for far right shitheads. This song is definitely very far from any of those ways.

And if your jokes with your friends contained similar sentiments to this song (in that the players are not really entirely French), you have made racist jokes with your friends and you have to come to terms with it.

Dude. But let's try once.

The song is meant to be insulting, as is clear from the other comments a out Mbappé. So the bits about France's players having African roots isn't meant as an objective observation, it's meant to sting. And it only does if there's racist intention: that somehow these players aren't actually French (despite all or almost of them even having been born in France). And of course, they only mention African roots, not the various international roots of white players in the French team. Given this is a common racist trope, it's pretty obvious that the song is racist in nature.

Maybe it doesn't affect you, but that's a different thing.
Are they directly insulting the players of African decent or the French for using African players to achieve success? That is my understanding of that lyrics

Any confirmation on garnacho and Martinez being involved?

There's no confirmation on anything at the moment, we just have a few seconds of video and Enzo's apology.

There was a lot of players singing it but I think only a few can be clearly made out (and I don't think either of them play for you) so most of them will probably get away with it totally.

Are they directly insulting the players of African decent or the French for using African players to achieve success? That is my understanding of that lyrics
The way you call black French players "African players" is deeply racist.

Are they directly insulting the players of African decent or the French for using African players to achieve success? That is my understanding of that lyric
But that's not true either. All of them are born and/or raised Frenchmen.

Suggesting they "use African players", means they don't consider these people as being French.

Well some of them have African names unlike say Black Americans

What on earth. You really need to explain what you're on about. What type of jokes and ways were you laughing about the French team? Why are they 'African' and not French?

Well some of them have African names unlike say Black Americans
This is mind boggling. Do you know why most African Americans do not have African-based names anymore? Their slave ancestors got robbed of their names by slavers. What even is your point?

There are ways to make jokes about the ethnic background of the French NT that are not inherently problematic, especially in the context of them representing a population that vote in large numbers for far right shitheads. This song is definitely very far from any of those ways.

And if your jokes with your friends contained similar sentiments to this song (in that the players are not really entirely French), you have made racist jokes with your friends and you have to c

And if your jokes with your friends contained similar sentiments to this song (in that the players are not really e
Come to terms with:D
I have been called a n!gger twice in Aberdeen, Scotland.

If he like's singing so much then maybe he should be made to sing on his own in front of the crowd at every match this season from a playlist selected by fans..

"On the good ship Lollypop" by Shirley Temple
"Ooh ah... just a little bit" by Gina G
"Smalltown boy" by Bronski Beat
"Say Hello Wave goodbye" by Soft Cell
"I've got a brand new Combine Harvester" by The Wurzels
"Girl you know it's true" by Milli Vanilli
"achy Breaky Heart" by Billy ray cyrus
"the cheeky song" by Cheeky girls
"My Humps" by Black eyed Peas

Yeah, the bomber chant is unpleasant also.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post means. 'Some of us' should let Argentinians sing racist chants without judging them? Is that it?
That's exactly the problem. Not every racial reference is offensive in our society as it apparently is in central and northern Europe and Anglo-America. We can differentiate very well when someone is trying to inferiorize other person for whatever reason, like his race, or just joking. Saying that someone with Sub-Saharan phenotype doesn't look like a French - France being an European country which had only white population for almost all their history and even today has like less than 10% of black people among them, which is very desproportional to their reprensentation on their team - is not scandalous and just sounds logical. Also, joking about France "stealing" players from Africa to be able to win something is not intrisically racist, although stupid , then it's not seem as something tremendously offensive, since it doesn't stigmatize black person in any way. When someone say "he won't be able to do that" or "are you sure you wanna dating him?", yeah, this is obviously racist(it can be way more furtive, of course; these are just didactic examples).

But, you know, we didn't spend 100 years in Africa and South Asia trying to "civilize" and "make them understand their position in the racial hierarchy", while making them produce for us just to buy it back for a much higher price, and obviously arresting and killing the "savages" that don't accept that, so I can see the reason for this cultural conflict and don't blame you lot; I would also be way more cautious if I had that skeleton in my closet.

That's exactly the problem. Not every racial reference is offensive in our society as it apparently is in central and northern Europe and Anglo-America. We can differentiate very well when someone is trying to inferiorize other person for whatever reason, like his race, or just joking. Saying that someone with Sub-Saharan phenotype doesn't look like a French - France being an European country which had only white population for almost all their history and even today has like less than 10% of black people among them, which is very desproportional to their reprensentation on their team - is not scandalous and just sounds logical. Also, joking about France "stealing" players from Africa to be able to win something is not intrisically racist, although stupid , then it's not seem as something tremendously offensive, since it doesn't stigmatize black person in any way. When someone say "he won't be able to do that" or "are you sure you wanna dating him?", yeah, this is obviously racist(it can be way more furtive, of course; it's just didactic examples).

But, you know, we didn't spend 100 years in Africa and South Asia trying to "civilize" and "make them understand their position in the racial hierarchy", while making them produce for us just to buy it back for a much higher price, and obviously arresting and killing the "savages" that don't accept that, so I can see the reason for this cultural conflict and don't blame you lot; I would also be way more cautious if I had that skeleton in my closet.

Sounds like you're living in the past too much. The world has evolved and saying people don't look like -insert nationality- is offensive and disrespectful to them and their identity. It's akin to people doing the "where are you really from?" line.

You should also probably note that two of the French players impacted, Kounde and Fofana are complaining and are outspoken about the issue.

Last edited:
That's exactly the problem. Not every racial reference is offensive in our society as it apparently is in central and northern Europe and Anglo-America. We can differentiate very well when someone is trying to inferiorize other person for whatever reason, like his race, or just joking. Saying that someone with Sub-Saharan phenotype doesn't look like a French - France being an European country which had only white population for almost all their history and even today has like less than 10% of black people among them, which is very desproportional to their reprensentation on their team - is not scandalous and just sounds logical. Also, joking about France "stealing" players from Africa to be able to win something is not intrisically racist, although stupid , then it's not seem as something tremendously offensive, since it doesn't stigmatize black person in any way. When someone say "he won't be able to do that" or "are you sure you wanna dating him?", yeah, this is obviously racist(it can be way more furtive, of course; it's just didactic examples).

Read this and you'll maybe understand why this song is highly offensive to black French players.

You have been talking those last few posts as if it was white colonizers leading the charge on this. Maybe listen to the actually affected people (Fofana, Koundé) that are telling you that yeah, this is very racist?

If he like's singing so much then maybe he should be made to sing on his own in front of the crowd at every match this season from a playlist selected by fans..

"On the good ship Lollypop" by Shirley Temple
"Ooh ah... just a little bit" by Gina G
"Smalltown boy" by Bronski Beat
"Say Hello Wave goodbye" by Soft Cell
"I've got a brand new Combine Harvester" by The Wurzels
"Girl you know it's true" by Milli Vanilli
"achy Breaky Heart" by Billy ray cyrus
"the cheeky song" by Cheeky girls
"My Humps" by Black eyed Peas
He'd have to mime to that one.

I was going to say how would Mbappe feel about a new teammate calling him a "transeater" but then I saw Real Madrid have no Argentinean players. That feels like a "Weird feelings of football" thing. I just assumed they would've had a couple of Argentineans in the squad.
I actually think Enzo cut off the stream not to offend M'Bappé and destroy any chances of moving there, not for the rest of the song.

It's up to you to decide what is banter and what is not, right? What a pretentious prick.

So, when English people, other developed Germanic nation, celebrate with hateful jokes towards a group, it is just banter, but the Latin Americans doing that...Maybe you're not as progressive as you think.

The way some of you want to sanitize other people to your standards is extremely annoying. The world is not your colony anymore, you know? Not everyone has a history of opressing and decimating other people like yours; maybe that's why some things are not as sensitive here. In fact, we were the ones who had to organize a somewhat steady society after the racial and social chaos you left behind.
No, of course it's even much worse when we do it. Because we have a history of oppressing people because of ethnicity and still profiting from that today. The world is shaped like it is, because of colonialism and the imbalance of power is prolongue through capitalism and neocolonialism. That's the reason I strongly oppose black people being ridiculed because they are black but couldn't be arsed if the same is done with white germans.

There is still no free card for south Americans to mock people because they are black and replicate this shit.

But you are right. It surely is incredibly rich from some middle European white-bread trying to lecture South Americans about racism in the way I did. I went with my modus operandi when discussing this topic with other Middle-Europeans. To be fair, this is incredibly dumb as there is a difference between people heavily profiting from this racist, unfair global system making racist remarks and people who are oppressed themselves from the system making those remarks. Guess you're right with the pretentious prick. Don't get me wrong, the chants are still a shitty thing to do and we'd should still call it out. But to debate like I'd be talking about white people singing those chants is also a shitty thing to do.

Reactions: Fortitude
I have so many questions…

First and foremost, why are black players playing for a country on a whole other continent even the first thing on your mind after a big win?

Do they know that Angola is not a Francophone country?

Do they know that Mbappe’s mother is ALgerian not NIgerian?

What do they think of the many Argentina nationals who are actually of Italian descent, some of which play in their very squad?

Bigots are never the brightest

They have Nico Paz who plays for Argentina U20 but is Spanish born.

Imagine sounding just like the French far-right and thinking you made a good point.

You clearly can't differentiate very well, because in case you haven't noticed it's the black French players that are angry over this and you have absolutely no clue why.

a lot of footballers are spoilt bell ends arent they. but then again the world they grow up in is very different to most other people. it seems to have taken 24hrs for Fernandez to realise what the fuss is even about.

No but you did wipe out and marginalise the coloured people of your country, so i wouldn't act like some sort of saint. What do you think happened to the native and black people in Argentina?