Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

They all knew what they were singing which means they have sang it before which in turn removes the idea they were even simply "caught up" in the moment.

Is it really that Racist? They start by making fun of his sexuality with the trans model, then question how French he really is. Obviously, born and raised in France but is it any different from all the German jokes with all the Austrians and Poles that represent them etc
Something tells me that you're going to be a newbie for a very, very, very long time.

You can't accuse people without knowing if they are or aren't singing it, but at the same time, I'd be surprised if they weren't singing it. The whole bus is partying and chanting. I'd guess a fair chunk of them don't even realize in the moment that they're being racist while singing that and just join in when that one starts being sung. By no means excusing it either, moreso saying I'd prefer not to pretend like ours are definitely innocent because there's no conclusive evidence they did, when in that situation it's just highly likely they joined in like the whole bus seemed to be.
Yup. Most likely it was all / most signing it. If a good amount realised that it was offensive then it wouldn’t have become one of the team’s chants. But you can’t blanket punish without evidence. So a 3/5 match suspension for the proven offenders is fine.

I checked the video posted by Fofana couple of times, couldn't figure out who all were singing as the video was probably recorded using Nokia 6600.

Looks like there are 5-7 players who did at least seen in the video. Enzo, the 2 players sitting next to Enzo and the 3 players who were jumping around chanting something.

Can't see anyone else.

I hope whoever is involved gets banned for few games and don't know how these players will even share the dressing room with French players now. Bunch of idiots.

Yep. They should know better. But it's hardly different to all of Old Trafford in the not too distant past singing about Park Ji Sung eating rats, Lukaku having a big dick, "Chelsea rent boys", and so on. It's shit that has to stop bit people far too often resort to these chants when poking fun at others unfortunately.
Spot on. The difference is of course that these are players not fans but people don’t realise that in terms of behaviour they aren’t very different despite them being household names.
I checked the video posted by Fofana couple of times, couldn't figure out who all were singing as the video was probably recorded using Nokia 6600.

Looks like there are 5-7 players who did at least seen in the video. Enzo, the 2 players sitting next to Enzo and the 3 players who were jumping around chanting something.

Can't see anyone else.

I hope whoever is involved gets banned for few games and don't know how these players will even share the dressing room with French players now. Bunch of idiots.
I’m sure they’d just sincerely apologise and get on with it. What Suarez did was infinitely worse - that was genuinely disgusting - and he played alongside people from / of all places / races. I doubt the players we loved and adored growing up were angels either. Footballers are mostly tools - and when we see their idiotic behaviour we should call it out for course - but expecting a lot from them as people will lead to disappointment.

Is it really that Racist? They start by making fun of his sexuality with the trans model, then question how French he really is. Obviously, born and raised in France but is it any different from all the German jokes with all the Austrians and Poles that represent them etc
Surely being no different from that doesn’t make it acceptable? I get that the “older” generation is typically attracted to right wing bigoted viewpoints but if we don’t condemn young hugely influential household names amplifying it, then that it doesn’t reflect well on society as a whole. The whole “pure *insert nationality*” quip has always been a detestable form of racial discrimination used to put down others and feign superiority based on ancestor origin.

That's an old song from the world cup I remember watching videos of Argentinians singing it prior to the world cup final.

The fact they were signing it after winning a tournament that doesn't even involved France it's a bit weird.

Someone can sing that song as a "joda", as they say in Argentina, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be something racist.

The big problem is Enzo, who recorded a private moment. Even players from teams like Germany or France have sung or said things to entertain themselves about a rival. The song never makes a negative reference to their race; it refers to the fact that most players on the French national team are not of French origin, which has been discussed at some point. I understand it may sound offensive, but it's part of football folklore, at least in South America.

Someone can sing that song as a "joda", as they say in Argentina, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be something racist.

The big problem is Enzo, who recorded a private moment. Even players from teams like Germany or France have sung or said things to entertain themselves about a rival. The song never makes a negative reference to their race; it refers to the fact that most players on the French national team are not of French origin, which has been discussed at some point. I understand it may sound offensive, but it's part of football folklore, at least in South America.

What's the tr*nnyfecking f*ggots thing about?

Appears to be an Instagram live stream, grainy and low quality because of slow network.

The big problem is Enzo, who recorded a private moment.
He didn't just record it, he live streamed it to 11 million of his followers. I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because Enzo has now apologized on his Instagram, confirming his guilt.

Argentina complained when the German national team celebrated their 2014 World Cup by implying the Argentinians walked around with drooped shoulders following their loss.

I found it tasteless, but not necessarily racist. and I certainly wouldn't think of Martinez as a racist just because of this.

He apologized and that's that. What more? Obviously, the FA is going to impose a huge sanction because they are all old men who have no idea about the context of the celebration and the euphoria of the moment. Is it wrong? Yes. No one says otherwise, but believing that a massive sanction will solve the underlying issue is just being stupid.
Not one, but two car crash posts! Well done :nono:

Quality control
Not one, but two car crash posts! Well done :nono:

Bah, and why? It’s super easy to simply say they are racists, just like that. Classic. Tell me exactly where they are being racist? Tell me exactly where they are making a racist reference, please, I’ll wait.

And what they sing about Mbappé is because he has a trans partner. Or at least he used to. It’s like teasing someone because they like fat girls, I don’t know, it’s just something to bother a rival.

Argentina complained when the German national team celebrated their 2014 World Cup by implying the Argentinians walked around with drooped shoulders following their loss.
Yep. It was a harmless song but targeting a nationality got them quite the backlash

:lol: Come on now
Wouldn’t be that unbelievable for a tournament host to strip the title away from a team or individual for going against the ethics of the tournament. Would send a strong message that they don’t want a team representing the competition as champions being racist. Only suggesting it could be an option not that it would happen.

Bah, and why? It’s super easy to simply say they are racists, just like that. Classic. Tell me exactly where they are being racist? Tell me exactly where they are making a racist reference, please, I’ll wait.

And what they sing about Mbappé is because he has a trans partner. Or at least he used to. It’s like teasing someone because they like fat girls, I don’t know, it’s just something to bother a rival.
Jesus :rolleyes: I don't think I'll give you anymore of my time actually, you'll be banned soon enough with this kind of mentality anyway.

I see. Mbappe is rumored to date a trans person, which makes him a tr*nnyfecker because trans people are bad, and it makes him a f*ggot because trans women are men, and then they're calling the other players - who are not French but plays for France - tr*nnyfeckers because their teammate is one.

But, when they sing about how the black players are not French because of their ancestry, in the same breath as hurling homophobic and transphobic slurs at them, they don't mean anything negative about it. The whole song is designed to be as offensive as possible, but the race part is just a totally innocent thing.

Jesus :rolleyes: I don't think I'll give you anymore of my time actually, you'll be banned soon enough with this kind of mentality anyway.
He does have a point, though. Racism is prejudice and discrimination against a race or ethnicity. Joining in on a (stupid) chant isn't necessarily racism. It is very stupid and thoughtless, but racist? I don't think so. Maybe some of them are, but generally I'd say this is more about a bunch of idiots rather than racists.

Of course is racist. It claims that French people are not French because they have a foreign background. That's fecking racist. It's the base of racism to exclude people from a group because of their or their ancestors origin.

And it may be part of the football folklore, but the sad thing is, that football folklore is often racist, sexist and homophobe. It's good to call this shit out. Maybe it's even a good thing, that there often is a debile Enzo in the group that films those things. Maybe they need a little shitstorm to learn a thing about racism.

I found it tasteless, but not necessarily racist. and I certainly wouldn't think of Martinez as a racist just because of this.
Yes, he is no necessarily a racist because of that. He may as well be just an uneducated imbecile who never wasted a thought about anything outside of football. And this leads to those racist things, because our society (and I guess the Argentinien as well) is structural and inherent racist. So it's probably good for him to learn a thing or two the hard way.

Reactions: jojojo
He does have a point, though. Racism is prejudice and discrimination against a race or ethnicity. Joining in on a (stupid) chant isn't necessarily racism. It is very stupid and thoughtless, but racist? I don't think so. Maybe some of them are, but generally I'd say this is more about a bunch of idiots rather than racists.
Ffs and another one! It's racist, plain and simple. If the two of ye can't see that then there's no help for ye on this subject.

What's the tr*nnyfecking f*ggots thing about?
If you are honestly asking, the fans that created the chant originally locked on to the rumors that Kylian Mbappe was dating a transgender supermodel Ines Rau in 2021. There were pics on yachts, etc. I was directed to the reference by google while reading about all this. It was apparently a story people paid attention to back then? I was unaware because … well, I honestly don’t care what Mbappe does with his free time.

The chant in question was apparently aimed squarely at Kylian originally. People on here saying it was in response to him making claims that European football (or footballers?) were superior to South American?

Crappy, racist, homophobic chants shouldn’t be acceptable from fans. But being adopted by a country’s players is a whole order of magnitude worse.

The first person I thought of was Kante. Especially being a Chelsea fan, and Enzo being at the center of this. N’golo is such a wonderful person, and we have heard how his parents had appreciation and pride for where they came from, but Kante was born in France and had such immense pride representing HIS country. Kante by all accounts did everything he could to help Enzo mentally handle a fairly “rough” landing in to the PL. And so I can only think to see something like this would make him very sad.

And that’s just one story. All of us have some sort of story; places, cultures and people that have made us the complex humans we are… and we don’t like it when people take a large dump on it, or mock it.

There are quite a few people at Chelsea right now that aren’t just angry, they are hurt, because when that mocking comes from someone you thought had your back it’s all the worse.

Of course is racist. It claims that French people are not French because they have a foreign background. That's fecking racist. It's the base of racism to exclude people from a group because of their or their ancestors origin.

Only certain French people, coincidentally. No mention of Giroud not being French because of his Italian ancestry, the Hernandez brothers being Spanish, Griezmann being German and Portuguese, and so on. Only the black players.

Ffs and another one! It's racist, plain and simple. If the two of ye can't see that then there's no help for ye on this subject.
You think it is racism, but racism has a definition. This is clearly personal to you, so I'm not going to go into this further with you.

Ah the old "racism is a form of endearment" defence. Liverpool fan by chance?

Wouldn’t be that unbelievable for a tournament host to strip the title away from a team or individual for going against the ethics of the tournament. Would send a strong message that they don’t want a team representing the competition as champions being racist. Only suggesting it could be an option not that it would happen.
It won’t happen and it shouldn’t happen. Suspending and fining the players and the Argentinian FA would be apt and a strong enough message. As usual, people go over the top with this stuff. Maybe we should hang the whole squad too.

It won’t happen and it shouldn’t happen. Suspending and fining the players and the Argentinian FA would be apt and a strong enough message. As usual, people go over the top with this stuff. Maybe we should hang the whole squad too.
I disagree. Stripping honours leaves a lasting memory. A 4-match ban is soon forgotten.

Also, if that's the current punishment and the behaviour is still occuring, it isn't a significant enough deterrent.

You think it is racism, but racism has a definition. This is clearly personal to you, so I'm not going to go into this further with you.
It's not personal at all actually, I can just plainly see when something is racist like a normal person, you can't. I won't be replying to you or the other guy any further because I would rather not interact with the likes of ye on this forum.

Those apology statements are always so fecking cringe. Who believes those generic agency-statements? Why not just tell it in your on words and have someone with a brain have look on it before you send it? Also, he obviously doesn't stand against discrimination, who should believenthat? Just say sorry and think about why people are upset about it.

I disagree. Stripping honours leaves a lasting memory. A 4-match ban is soon forgotten.

Also, if that's the current punishment and the behaviour is still occuring, it isn't a significant enough deterrent.
Stripping honours for a chant?

I hope this finally puts an end to the ridiculous wankfest over Argentina NT just because Messi plays there.

Yeah it picks out the black players for being from a bunch of African countries and therefore not French. They’re all born in France.

It’s textbook racism and just because Argentina is culturally racist doesn’t mean it’s not racist.

Enzo is a fecking idiot, hope he gets the book thrown at him.