Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

Only certain French people, coincidentally. No mention of Giroud not being French because of his Italian ancestry, the Hernandez brothers being Spanish, Griezmann being German and Portuguese, and so on. Only the black players.
Of course. Noone gives a feck about white people beeing foreigners.

The song never makes a negative reference to their race; it refers to the fact that most players on the French national team are not of French origin, which has been discussed at some point. I understand it may sound offensive, but it's part of football folklore, at least in South America.

'Folklore' is often racist so there's no 'but' here.

Last edited:
Only certain French people, coincidentally. No mention of Giroud not being French because of his Italian ancestry, the Hernandez brothers being Spanish, Griezmann being German and Portuguese, and so on. Only the black players.

Yeah, if they add a few more verses about those guys and get back on the bus to finish the song, it'll all be ok.

Was the video edited post shitstorm? At 00.34 I only catch "when you ask them for their documents? nationalité française"

Genuine question as it makes a massive difference.

If that's the original, all we can do is infer "someone(s)" sang the rest before and even that Enzo deliberately cut it off.

So yeah, probably an edited version of the original IG posting. Isn't their some sort of "last edited" trace?

Nothing screams 'SINCERELY SORRY' more than a professional, agency-worded statement covering 'key bases' and written in the font your teacher would not allow. Typed in Argentina's fabled colours, as though it speaks for the country.

Anyway Enzo, if you want us to believe you are not a racist, don't do racism.

Probably found it twisted.
Messi doesn't always have a very pro active approach in dealing with racism issues. With the recent slew of incidents surrounding the Argentina NT, including an incident of an online barrage of racist insults towards a black player who tackled him in the semis, it would be nice if he was a little less quiet on it....him being a leader and all of that bunch of....

Absolutely appalling chant. Give your head a wobble if you're seriously trying to defend this openly racist and transphobic shit. There is absolutely nothing acceptable about this song.

How easily they sing along, and at least significant parts of the bus by the sound of it, clearly shows how this is far from the first time they've sung this. It invalidates the whole "we were just caught in the moment" defense as they knew the song, knew the lyrics. At least one of them also clearly knew how inacceptable the chant was, why else would they tell him to cut the stream at that time? But rather than stop the chant, they tell him to stop streaming it so they can keep spouting their vile crap.

I really hope they throw the book at the FA. Personal consequences they'll sadly only be able to leverage against Fernandez, unless additional footage surfaces, as he's the only one who can really be identified. The recent Euros have been rather disappointing in terms of punishment for unsportsmanlike conduct, where a chant to "kill the serb" and showing the signature salute of a violent far-right group only resulted in a two game ban each. Feels like the punishments need to slap them around a lot harder to truly have an effect.

And seriously, an "apology" written in the national colours and in comic sans? He's got to be taking the piss.

Yeah, if they add a few more verses about those guys and get back on the bus to finish the song, it'll all be ok.
How far can you miss a point? So you think it's pure coincidence that they at singing about black people exclusively?

I'm sure that this kind of thing gets sung on team buses after victories all the time - it's likely a fan chant that spread to the team

The only surprise is that Enzo is that thick to live stream it to millions - the difficult part now is going to be picking out which players get punished for it, definitely need to make an example of some of them and just hope our 2 don't get caught up in it

Has Messi issued a statement? Where is he on this?
Apparently he wasn't even on the bus and travelled separately from the rest of the team.

There is a bit of confusion on here so would just like to point out that there's 2 chants in the video the first 30 seconds being a Argentina national team chant and the last 10 seconds (when the chants change) being the racist one. During the second chant you can see Enzo and hear other voices before Enzo ended the video. He must've realised mid chant what it will cause.

As for chanting its apalling and that racism overall is so spread around its truly awful. Every fekin tournament there's talk and 'jokes' about France being African team and so on, as other have said nobody gives a fek about Griezmann and Giroud ancestry, only about black players despite the fact they were all born and raised in France and they sing Marseillaise wholeheartedly.

Every time they play see messages and posts saying oh look 10 out of 11 players in France are black. The best part is those posts tend to start with 'I'm not racist but'. Well you are racist!

I'm fed up and angry as hell about the whole thing and wont raise my kids to think that way.

I'm sure that this kind of thing gets sung on team buses after victories all the time - it's likely a fan chant that spread to the team

The only surprise is that Enzo is that thick to live stream it to millions - the difficult part now is going to be picking out which players get punished for it, definitely need to make an example of some of them and just hope our 2 don't get caught up in it
Every team bus of every pro team in europe would contain players targeted by a chant like that. I highly doubt anything equivalent is sung in team busses all the time.

Personally, I blame all of the players on that bus since none of them lifted a finger to stop it and likely instead joined in. Not sure Fernandez was really any different from the others, he was just even dumber about it.

I am even feeling Messi deserves blame here. Why has it taken him this long to react. Of all the people that have some clout in this, it is him.

Alternatively, an open and enthused display of overt racism.

Yes, I believe that racist organisations should be excluded from involvement in events which are all about diversity and inclusion.

That would be stupid move. No one even knows how many were involved and there are reports that few players weren't in the bus. So you want to punish entire squad because of few players?

Just identify who all were involved and ban them as per their rule book.

I disagree. Stripping honours leaves a lasting memory. A 4-match ban is soon forgotten.

Also, if that's the current punishment and the behaviour is still occuring, it isn't a significant enough deterrent.
Should we also strip our titles for SAF saying “typical Germans” or the club for its fans mocking Asians and black players using racial stereotypes? This is obviously worse than the former but there’s reprimanding and then there is punishing disproportionately. As usual, people especially from the west, can’t see clearly when racism is involved. A player can have murder charges against them but the outrage on bigoted language is for some reason the biggest sin ever committed.

Messi doesn't always have a very pro active approach in dealing with racism issues. With the recent slew of incidents surrounding the Argentina NT, including an incident of an online barrage of racist insults towards a black player who tackled him in the semis, it would be nice if he was a little less quiet on it....him being a leader and all of that bunch of....
I was referring to his ankle.

That would be stupid move. No one even knows how many were involved and there are reports that few players weren't in the bus. So you want to punish entire squad because of few players?

Just identify who all were involved and ban them as per their rule book.
I dont think you take away trophies, but there is a team issue here. It wasnt just a couple of players acting out, it happened on the team bus and seemingly nobody stopped it.

It also seems pretty certain to me this was not an isolated incident. This is something the team does repeatedly. So I do not think it is as simple as banning Fernandez for a few games and moving on either.

Should we also strip our titles for SAF saying “typical Germans”
Good idea. Manchester United should be stripped of their last Champions League trophy and it should be awarded to the runner up.

Just ban them from the next World Cup, if they can’t accept the cultural diversity in the world they don’t deserve to be part of a celebration of it.

Apparently he wasn't even on the bus and travelled separately from the rest of the team.

There is a bit of confusion on here so would just like to point out that there's 2 chants in the video the first 30 seconds being a Argentina national team chant and the last 10 seconds (when the chants change) being the racist one. During the second chant you can see Enzo and hear other voices before Enzo ended the video. He must've realised mid chant what it will cause.
I know he is not on the bus, but isn't he supposed to say something? I think this stops if he opens his mouth. Seems pretty clear this has gone on before, so I am pretty sure he has heard it all before as well. And if he hasn't, he could at least confirm it and disavow this nonsense in ny opinion.

I know he is not on the bus, but isn't he supposed to say something? I think this stops if he opens his mouth. Seems pretty clear this has gone on before, so I am pretty sure he has heard it all before as well. And if he hasn't, he could at least confirm it and disavow this nonsense in ny opinion.
I'm not sure, what's your opinion on Messi in this whole thing?

I dont think you take away trophies, but there is a team issue here. It wasnt just a couple of players acting out, it happened on the team bus and seemingly nobody stopped it.

It also seems pretty certain to me this was not an isolated incident. This is something the team does repeatedly. So I do not think it is as simple as banning Fernandez for a few games and moving on either.

I don't know the language to understand when the chant started, going by this thread it was after 34 seconds and video was stopped immediately. So not sure what happened after the video was cut down.

Also going by that video, Enzo was sitting only 3-4 rows from the back, so no one knows what did the front row players did or didn't.

There was also some report that when Argentina player started the chant, Messi immediately asked him to stop, that was after world cup. So no one knows what happened after the live stream stopped.

Stripping title is just a no go, same with punishing players without any proof and just by assumption.

I don't know the language to understand when the chant started, going by this thread it was after 34 seconds and video was stopped immediately. So not sure what happened after the video was cut down.

Also going by that video, Enzo was sitting only 3-4 rows from the back, so no one knows what did the front row players did or didn't.

There was also some report that when Argentina player started the chant, Messi immediately asked him to stop, that was after world cup. So no one knows what happened after the live stream stopped.

Stripping title is just a no go, same with punishing players without any proof and just by assumption.

Messi wasn't there.

You can hear on the video that someone is telling him to cut the live feed, because of the song. There's about 10 seconds of the racist song, and you can hear others participating. You can't say for sure who.

I agree, stripping titles is not even a discussion. But I don't see this as an isolated problem with their team.

Of course is racist. It claims that French people are not French because they have a foreign background. That's fecking racist. It's the base of racism to exclude people from a group because of their or their ancestors origin.

And it may be part of the football folklore, but the sad thing is, that football folklore is often racist, sexist and homophobe. It's good to call this shit out. Maybe it's even a good thing, that there often is a debile Enzo in the group that films those things. Maybe they need a little shitstorm to learn a thing about racism.

Yes, he is no necessarily a racist because of that. He may as well be just an uneducated imbecile who never wasted a thought about anything outside of football. And this leads to those racist things, because our society (and I guess the Argentinien as well) is structural and inherent racist. So it's probably good for him to learn a thing or two the hard way.

Yeah it's racist and homophobic, the players who sang it probably didn't think much of it (they're likely not racist towards their club team mates for example) but they need an education around how these issues they give little thought to, affects other people. It reminds me of that Griezmann incident some years back.

Even that 10 German Bombers chant the English fans did recently in Germany or the Falklands chants the Argies sing against the Brits - Not racist but not really relevant to today, and not needed in football. Those chants that United fans sang about Park and Lukaku (Even though they were sung in support of the players) were a bit racist as well.

So it's not just players but fans too, who say this stuff without much thought about the optics - But players should have a lot more responsibility being the bigger ambassadors of the sport, and this Argentinian team should be punished for it in some way (a fine/match-ban/re-education seems fair).

Also, that Comic Sans apology from Enzo, what the feck is that?!

Should we also strip our titles for SAF saying “typical Germans” or the club for its fans mocking Asians and black players using racial stereotypes?

Ferguson was responding to the trained practice of German players 'conning the ref', either through simulation or intimidation.

Any club supporter should be removed if they are caught indulging racism.

Excellent whataboutery, anyway.

Don't think Argentina should be stripped of titles but Fernandez should be given a hefty ban, at the least.

Messi wasn't there.

You can hear on the video that someone is telling him to cut the live feed, because of the song. There's about 10 seconds of the racist song, and you can hear that a big portion of the bus is participating. You can't say for sure who.

Messi after the world cup, i think it was Rodrigo de Paul who started and Messi asked him to stop.

Yeah, it's near impossible to tell who all participated. I was under the impression that video was full of racist chant, only after reading this thread i understood it was just before the stream was cut off.