Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

Between the Argentinians doing that hate song and @Spoony being a homophobic shitwallet, quite a day for bigots everywhere.

Odd you mention this, because this has no relevance to it being racist or not.

I consider myself highly empathetic, particularly towards those with similar backgrounds. However, given all your comments, I find it troubling that it does not.

Bit of a wild way to get a move, to get a bus load of players to sing a racist song.

Just trying to make sense of it all, I think he did not care about the consequences of the song, either because he is thick, or because staying at Chelsea is not a priority

Enzo might want to leave Chelsea and this will precipitate a move
Maybe. It does bother me a bit that I have only seen announcements by Chelsea and France in regards to investigating this.

If you were in that bus, you were probably chanting. It didn’t look like they struggled to pick up the words, either, so they’ve probably been singing it since the last World Cup.

If your team has players on the Argentine national team, then your team should be getting ahead and investigating this.

The world, in general, has a hard enough time trying to stamp out chants like this from crowds. It CANNOT be accepted being replicated by teams.

Footballers are often not the best educated bunch, but that’s why educating in moments like this is important. And a big part of that education should/will be punishments.

I consider myself highly empathetic, particularly towards those with similar backgrounds. However, given all your comments, I find it troubling that it does not.
You probably have a higher opinion of Angola, Cameroon, Nigeria and transgender people than most people in this thread. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Damn, very stupid of him when some of his teammates are French

Even if it's just banter sometimes you have to draw the line

The following is the translation of the song (it seems):

"Listen, spread the word;
They play in France, but they are all from Angola;
How nice it is! They are going to run;
They are 'cometravas'*, like fecking Mbappé;
Their mom is Nigerian;
Their dad, Cameroonian.
But in the document ..Nationality: French".

*cometravas is a slang term that loosely translates to someone who likes fecking transgender people.

The above is transphobic for sure which makes it quite distasteful. The heat that this video gets should be about this.

But, Racist? Are we sure?
  • Could this be more of a mocking of how France poaches players and talents from all over Africa and yet "we" beat them?
  • Is the premise of the chant any different from the one used by Trevor Noah for this segment? Did Africa Just Win The World Cup? | The Daily Show With Trevor Noah (youtube.com)
  • When USA beat Pakistan in the T20 cricket world cup. Many were joking about how India's H1B team (and not USA) beat Pakistan. Is the Argentina song about the nationality of the player's parents any different?
These players have exposure, have colleagues and friends who have roots in Africa and play for Franch/Netherlands/Germany etc. Can we not assume the best in them and think that all this is not coming from a bad place. Is it possible this is healthy banter?
Yes, it's really that racist. First of all France doesn't "poach players from all over Africa". What a weird remark. You don't seem to understand French society. These players are all born and/or raised Frenchmen.

Second: saying a citizen born and raised in France isn't a true Frenchman because they have dark skin, is discriminatory and about as racist as it gets. It's also something the French far-right extremists used to say and are still saying.

Could this be more of a mocking of how France poaches players and talents from all over Africa and yet "we" beat them?

It is not the French national team that is being sung about. It is Mbappe, and players who have apparently have roots in Angola, Cameroon, and Nigeria. The country of France is clearly not being mocked, specific French players are. There is nothing in the chant about Argentina beating France, either - no place where the 'we' is implied.

Is the premise of the chant any different from the one used by Trevor Noah for this segment? Did Africa Just Win The World Cup? | The Daily Show With Trevor Noah (youtube.com)

In your clip, the premise for Trevor Noah's joke is that there are many African-origin players in that French squad. Which is a fact. 'You don't get this tan in the south of France' is the joke based on this fact. But that's where the similarity ends.

Firstly, Trevor Noah is of African descent himself. And he is performing comedy on live television. There is a performative nature to his act, which means not everything he says is a belief or the truth, but a made up narrative in which he was joking about origins he shares himself. A white comedian making the same joke? Problematic, because it's punching down - but he's still performing, so maybe he doesn't truly believe in the act. A white comedian saying the same thing but in private, while being secretly recorded? Even more problematic, and perhaps no longer a 'joke' - it indicates belief. Secondly, Noah's joke celebrates African heritage instead of being derogatory towards the players' French nationality. There is no hate.

In contrast, the Argentine players are white, and not doing a comedy bit at all. There is an obvious derogatory depiction of Mbappe (and the 'they', which is players like him, clearly referring to race given the countries mentioned). The premise is still the same, but now there is a lot of hate. There's a difference between stating 'a lot of the French players are of African origin' (a fact), and 'they are all from Angola' (a derogatory generalization which is dismissive, and we know present in this song only for rhyming patterns). Also, the way the song contrasts between the countries of birth and the document of nationality clearly undermines the identity of the players - reduces them to the color of their skin, takes away their national pride - as if to tell them 'you don't belong in this country'. It implies a belief that white people can belong to the countries their families have migrated to, but black people cannot. Superiority of a race over another. Racism.

When USA beat Pakistan in the T20 cricket world cup. Many were joking about how India's H1B team (and not USA) beat Pakistan. Is the Argentina song about the nationality of the player's parents any different?

Again, celebrating the US players' Indian heritage, rather than undermining their sense of nationality or belonging to the US. If it were the bolded bit you've included (which I've not encountered, but possible) then it becomes racist. If it were non-Indians/non-Americans singing chants about the Indian origin players, stating how they are all from Bombay, being transphobic towards one of them, and then ending with 'In green card -USA', indicating that the players don't belong to the US national team, that would definitely be racist, as well.

These players have exposure, have colleagues and friends who have roots in Africa and play for Franch/Netherlands/Germany etc. Can we not assume the best in them and think that all this is not coming from a bad place. Is it possible this is healthy banter?

The outrage is because there players have exposure, colleagues and friends with roots in Africa, they should know how it is racist to sing such chants. That it is not from a sense of ignorance, but of indifference. It's because Enzo did not cut his stream for the first chant, but did for the second. He knew it is wrong, but didn't care. Excuses like 'the chant is catchy', 'they have African friends' are just that - excuses. You can assume the best in them in incidents like Cavani's - where his cultural roots prevented him from knowing possible interpretations of the word negrito. When international footballers like Enzo - playing at diverse clubs like Chelsea, actively bending the knee at kick off for a cause along with his team, holding up banners, wearing shirts with slogans and participating in anti-racism campaigns - do this, it is necessary to not assume the best anymore.

Last edited:
No evidence Martinez and Garnacho were singing that chant. Just Gandalf Greyhame jumping to conclusions.

I haven't jumped to conclusions. I have said questions need to be asked because Enzo is not singing it alone. Licha/Garnacho may or may not be involved - we don't know. I am curious, and I am sure there will be players in the United squad who are, too.

The most shocking thing here is that this isn't a leaked video - these guys are so embedded in this sort of racism that they're actually live streaming themselves or happily being recorded. That's a deep hole to be in and in another work place its a job ender. Fofana has to work alongside him. What an ugly chant it is
Sadly in some parts of South America, racism is deeply embedded in society. This isn't surprising if you've been to Argentina.

I haven't jumped to conclusions. I have said questions need to be asked because Enzo is not singing it alone. Licha/Garnacho may or may not be involved - we don't know. I am curious, and I am sure there will be players in the United squad who are, too.
"Did you sing? No." Case closed.

Why were they singing about France after winning the Copa America?
I’d say this is what actually makes it more unacceptable.

If it had just occurred around the World Cup final then it would come under more of a kind of sledging.

From this video, definitely. No evidence that anyone other than Enzo himself was singing it.

But you can hear the voices in the background - there's more. You don't know who else is singing, but you know this is a group chant. You can infer this is not the first time this chant's come up, either. So while there may be no legal action against our duo, there will certainly be questions asking if one of those voices was theirs. As there should be.

Absolutely, if they were part of the racial chanting. If there is no evidence that they were we will just have to trust that they behaved properly.

It will be interesting to see what Chelsea do with Enzo, the club has a deep history of racism but surely even for them this is unacceptable?

It's hard to believe that people are genuinely questioning whether this is racist or not... It's clearcut racism.

Do we know who the guy at the end smiling delightedly in the background is?

Untitled.png

I say they should arrange a match between France and Argentina, like, next week, and let the players settle it like in times far gone.
No red cards unless someone smashes an opponent to the brink of a seizure.
Then when the dust is settled, the players shake hands, and go their separate ways, after gifting each other small presents, and chocolate.

"Did you sing? No." Case closed.
I don’t think Enzo would be happy taking it for everyone involved, there’s at least a couple who were also singing it, people talk, a lot.

I say they should arrange a match between France and Argentina, like, next week, and let the players settle it like in times far gone.
No red cards unless someone smashes an opponent to the brink of a seizure.
Then when the dust is settled, the players shake hands, and go their separate ways, after gifting each other small presents, and chocolate.

I don’t think Enzo would be happy taking it for everyone involved, there’s at least a couple who were also singing it, people talk, a lot.
Nah, I think they'll cover for each other well and Enzo will be "fined" and that will be it.

The following is the translation of the song (it seems):

"Listen, spread the word;
They play in France, but they are all from Angola;
How nice it is! They are going to run;
They are 'cometravas'*, like fecking Mbappé;
Their mom is Nigerian;
Their dad, Cameroonian.
But in the document ..Nationality: French".

*cometravas is a slang term that loosely translates to someone who likes fecking transgender people.

The above is transphobic for sure which makes it quite distasteful. The heat that this video gets should be about this.

But, Racist? Are we sure?
  • Could this be more of a mocking of how France poaches players and talents from all over Africa and yet "we" beat them?
  • Is the premise of the chant any different from the one used by Trevor Noah for this segment? Did Africa Just Win The World Cup? | The Daily Show With Trevor Noah (youtube.com)
  • When USA beat Pakistan in the T20 cricket world cup. Many were joking about how India's H1B team (and not USA) beat Pakistan. Is the Argentina song about the nationality of the player's parents any different?
This was my take too

Sadly in some parts of South America, racism is deeply embedded in society. This isn't surprising if you've been to Argentina.

A colleague of mine worked in Brazil for the organising committee for the Olympic Games and he told me that racist "banter" was an every day occurrence and was just laughed off.