Argentina players singing racist chant targeting French players after Copa America final

I say "racist" because anywhere in the world you would call it that. As @Just Hope alludes to, that's borne in a feeling of superiority, which a European would immediately interpret as white supremacist bigotry, but is in fact just plain arrogance.
It is interpreted the same way in South America too. On top of the well-known arrogance. It's a false dichotomy.

At no point in the song does it say that the French are black, or that it is bad to be black, or anything like that, they use the word "Angola" just because it rhymes, but it could be any African country, the The intention of the song is to "offend" the French because they take advantage of the virtues and physical advantages that Africans have to play soccer, as a way to touch their pride and make them angry for it, if it is offensive and ridiculous we know it , but it is not Racist from the point of view of the Argentine soccer fan, the error that you point out as a "cover-up" is that it has been made public because many of the countries in Europe have a disastrous history of Racism and have only recently been eradicating it a few decades ago.

Africans have virtues and physical advantages to play soccer?

So are you saying we should sign Elon Musk? Charlize Theron for the women's team?

Everything you are saying is true. I mentioned earlier they are far more "racist" towards fellow South Americans than black people.

Much like many people don't get British sarcasm, it is hard to see through their sense of humour which is primarily based on putting other people down with derogatory remarks.

I say "racist" because anywhere in the world you would call it that. As @Just Hope alludes to, that's borne in a feeling of superiority, which a European would immediately interpret as white supremacist bigotry, but is in fact just plain arrogance.

The redeeming factor is they absolutely own their arrogance. They will happily agree that when they go to Church they start their prayer saying "Dear Son". They will also agree it is bonkers, but that's who they are. Now, if you go one step further and call it racism they will protest against that.

Of course there are outliers. As in any other country, you will find racist snobs who actually mean those derogatory remarks, and you will also find recalcitrant working class people upset at their jobs or working conditions being threatened by those South American economic migrants (accepting lower wages, working harder or longer hours, etc). Same shit I used to witness in the UK with Polish people, to use a white on white example.

For most peoole though, there's no real animosity attached to it whatsoever (but yes, I know, most of you would still call it racism because it overlooks how the recipient feels about them jokes).

It's the sort of thing that always gets lost in this radicalised world. It is important whether someone is actually racist, or acts in such a way inadvertently or through lack of awareness or not knowing better. You are never going to change the former, nor will you change the latter acting like a rabid pack of wolves. Nobody seems willing to take the time to hear out the alternative viewpoint and find common ground, its just pitchforks out, black or white and, most important, congratulating oneself for "winning the argument". And so we carry on getting nowhere.
I was once called “negro” by an Argentinian who was darker than me.

"The intention of the song is to offend the French because they take advantage of the virtues and physical advantages that Africans have to play soccer, as a way to touch their pride."

The problem begins here.

The players in the French NT are almost exclusively born and raised in France. One or two of their parents might be immigrants, most of whom moved to France for reasons completely unrelated to football. They had children and some of those children, who are French citizens, might end up playing football. France is not "taking advantage" of anything because these are just citizens of their country. They are not nationalizing random people to win titles. The entire premise is false. It is only true if you start making false assumptions about the players based on their skin color.

This is without getting into the 'virtues and physical advantages' of Africans. You mention in your post that Argentina has 'Chinese neighborhoods' and 'Jews.' Imagine if I said "if Argentina wants their economy to really blossom they need to take advantage of their Chinese and Jews since they know how to count real good and are great with money." Would you not perceive that as 'racist'?
Exactly this.

It's a lack of understanding of French society. Or most West-European societies for that matter.

Winning a World Cup or Euros is mainly a credit to the football academies of winning country and is a testament to their hard work and ability to produce top talent, regardless if the players are black, white, brown, yellow, green. The fact that an impoverished child refugee like Camavinga can enter a French academy and get high quality training to become a 19yo millionaire who plays for Real Madrid shows that France's football academies aren't just top-tier, they also have almost no barrier to entry unlike other sports/arts domains which charge exorbitant fees and are able to polish any talented kid into a star. The hard work, non-prejudice, non-classism of those in the football system is why France deserved to win the World Cup, focusing on skin color misses this point which deserves to be celebrated.

African politicians also find it hard to admit that it's not about the race of those who win but about the academies and infrastructure provided to kids of all backgrounds which is why African countries don't have the means to compete. There are too few countries where kids from the lowest echleons of society are allowed to participate without financial barriers and obtain world-class training as any other middle-upper class child... Even in multicultural countries like USA soccer is pay-to-play which is a shame.
This post hasn't had the appreciation it deserves given how it bypasses the inconsequential shitstorm and addresses the real crux of the matter constructively.

I'm afraid I can't like posts though.

More of this.

I have been reading this forum for a long time because I like Man Utd and I like to find out about the team's news, I never registered but I think the occasion is convenient because I read the entire thread on this topic, and as an Argentinian I think I can make them understand a little more about this topic of Enzo Fernández. To begin with, I find the label they are giving to all Argentinians HORRIBLE, saying that we are all racists and that we are backwards, when Argentina is one of the most open and loved countries by the many communities that live here, for that same reason. The reason is that they come to live here, there are communities of Senegalese, Venezuelans, Peruvians, Chinese Neighborhoods, Jews, Arab Community, etc. and they all live together in Peace, there are practically no acts of Racism in the streets and the vast majority live in the Capital. from Buenos Aires, so they interact all the time.

I also tell you that Argentina was one of the first countries in the world to abolish slavery, we became independent in 1810 and in 1813 there was no longer slavery here, there were always few slaves and black people as it was a colony of Spain. , the majority of African slaves came from the Portuguese Colonies (Brazil and northern South America) and England (USA and part of North America), the black race was never eradicated, many emigrated to Uruguay (where there are a greater number of blacks ) and Brazil, and the one that stayed here over time mixed with the "criollos" (original people) and the Spanish, producing that today there are many mestizos.
Do you think that a Racist country has as Proceres (National Heroes) black people like Sergeant Cabral, or that the "Mother of the Country" is a black woman like Maria Remedios del Valle? in fact the latter, her image is CURRENTLY on the "10,000" bill.

Having made this historical introduction, I now tell you about the "Cultural" issue of Argentina, here whenever the word "Black" is used it is never done with discriminatory overtones, but on the contrary, it is said from a place of trust, I know that for It will be difficult for you to understand, but that is why I did the entire historical introduction, Argentina DOES NOT HAVE the history of historical Racism in Europe and North America, you cannot judge us in the same way because it is not the same, here we have a journalist who is "El Negro " Bulos (look him up if you want), that he is black and he presents himself that way, and if you ask him he will tell you that he NEVER saw his nickname as something negative and he NEVER in his life received racism for it, he will tell you that his The nickname was given to him by people who loved him or trusted him, never in a derogatory way, and being Argentine and growing up since he was a child, he knows it.

Enzo Fernandez's song is undeniably offensive, but it is not created from a Racist point of view, it is created from the "Folklore" of Argentine club fans, where offensive songs are made for the Rival, whether it is River against Boca, Racing against Independiente, etc. At no point in the song does it say that the French are black, or that it is bad to be black, or anything like that, they use the word "Angola" just because it rhymes, but it could be any African country, the The intention of the song is to "offend" the French because they take advantage of the virtues and physical advantages that Africans have to play soccer, as a way to touch their pride and make them angry for it, if it is offensive and ridiculous we know it , but it is not Racist from the point of view of the Argentine soccer fan, the error that you point out as a "cover-up" is that it has been made public because many of the countries in Europe have a disastrous history of Racism and have only recently been eradicating it a few decades ago. those behaviors, and since the contexts were different, it could fall badly (which in fact is what ended up happening), Enzo when that song starts playing cuts off Instagram Live immediately, he doesn't even get to sing, if he were truly Racist he wouldn't care and I wouldn't have cut it, I would have continued and sung it in full.

In Conclusion, is the song bad? YES, IT IS VERY OFFENSIVE

Is the song racist? NO, AT ALL, IT WAS NEVER CREATED WITH THAT PURPOSE

I ask that when doing an analysis, you put yourself in the cultural contexts of the countries of origin, because if you analyze it from the cultural context of your own country you are going in the wrong place, the historical origin is different in all cases.

I hope you publish my message, I did not come to generate debate, just to give a different point of view
Your country doesn't get to decide what racism is.

Africans have virtues and physical advantages to play soccer?

So are you saying we should sign Elon Musk? Charlize Theron for the women's team?
I assumed it before writing the first comment, but trying to contextualize and give a historical review and mark the differences between European (or French) culture and Argentina apparently was a waste of time, some are on a moral pedestal (almost bordering on arrogance) and are not willing to listen to other bells other than their own, they did not even make an effort to understand or analyze the entire contextualization, this comment makes it clear that some people take the Racism debate as a laugh and that the real The reason for the indignation is that there is a special anger against Argentina (and perhaps South America) on the part of some (and I am not generalizing as many of you do), who have been looking closely at the Argentine National Team for a long time, waiting for the moment to charge them. Somehow, that seems even more pathetic to me: use a noble cause only for a particular interest.

Let them know that it is more racist to assume that the song tries to discriminate against blacks, that says more about you than about others, as the saying goes "the thief believes that they are all of the same condition as him"

Also, according to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Argentines, these were the formally counted population numbers:

YearPopulation% of
Argentina
177868,46536.82%
2010149,4930.37%
2022302,9360.66%
(source: Argentina census INDEC)

The Argentinian population was obviously small in 1778 and the huge influx of white migrants in the 19th century was a key cause to the relative reduction of the white population, but that wasn't an accident: the governments of the time actively strived to whiten Argentina's population, also through policies that caused black people to want to marry whites for their future.

The Wikipedia article discusses this in significant detail, but here's a quote from the 1895 Census: "It will not take long for the population to be completely unified into a beautiful new white race."

And here's a quote from 1905 that's considered typical of the time: "Little by little, this race is becoming extinct... The race is losing its primitive colour in the mixture. It becomes gray. It dissolves. It lightens. The African tree is producing white Caucasian flowers."

So it seems pretty obvious that Argentinian society in the 19th century was deeply racist and that this contributed to the relative disappearance of the black population.

I'll add that this is nothing special for the time. Racism was rife among governing economic, and cultural elites all over Europe and the Americas during this time period. So I'm not trying to say that Argentina was particularly racist, but that this stance that Argentina really wasn't racist is absurd. I would also suggest that this stance (among those that hold it) is probably part of the reason why a lot of Argentinians are appearing blind to racism.

(I'll also add that I think @Just Hope has contributed some excellent posts to the discussion, that seem to put things in context really well.)

I assumed it before writing the first comment, but trying to contextualize and give a historical review and mark the differences between European (or French) culture and Argentina apparently was a waste of time, some are on a moral pedestal (almost bordering on arrogance) and are not willing to listen to other bells other than their own, they did not even make an effort to understand or analyze the entire contextualization, this comment makes it clear that some people take the Racism debate as a laugh and that the real The reason for the indignation is that there is a special anger against Argentina (and perhaps South America) on the part of some (and I am not generalizing as many of you do), who have been looking closely at the Argentine National Team for a long time, waiting for the moment to charge them. Somehow, that seems even more pathetic to me: use a noble cause only for a particular interest.

Let them know that it is more racist to assume that the song tries to discriminate against blacks, that says more about you than about others, as the saying goes "the thief believes that they are all of the same condition as him"
On the contrary, you come in here repeating arguments that have been extensively discussed and partly (or completely) debunked already, and now you're annoyed that we're not accepting it as Truth.

And now you've sunk so low as to suggest that people are pointing out the racism in the song out of spite against the Argentinian national team (totally unfounded, just a random ad hominem accusation), and that the real racism is that some thing the song is racist (which is an absurd reversal).

I'm sorry, but this is a very poor contribution to the discussion.

Last edited:
Which country decides that
No individual country does. I'm pretty happy to accept the black French players opinions on the topic(not that I needed them to make me know straight away what the song was).

I have been reading this forum for a long time because I like Man Utd and I like to find out about the team's news, I never registered but I think the occasion is convenient because I read the entire thread on this topic, and as an Argentinian I think I can make them understand a little more about this topic of Enzo Fernández. To begin with, I find the label they are giving to all Argentinians HORRIBLE, saying that we are all racists and that we are backwards, when Argentina is one of the most open and loved countries by the many communities that live here, for that same reason. The reason is that they come to live here, there are communities of Senegalese, Venezuelans, Peruvians, Chinese Neighborhoods, Jews, Arab Community, etc. and they all live together in Peace, there are practically no acts of Racism in the streets and the vast majority live in the Capital. from Buenos Aires, so they interact all the time.

I also tell you that Argentina was one of the first countries in the world to abolish slavery, we became independent in 1810 and in 1813 there was no longer slavery here, there were always few slaves and black people as it was a colony of Spain. , the majority of African slaves came from the Portuguese Colonies (Brazil and northern South America) and England (USA and part of North America), the black race was never eradicated, many emigrated to Uruguay (where there are a greater number of blacks ) and Brazil, and the one that stayed here over time mixed with the "criollos" (original people) and the Spanish, producing that today there are many mestizos.
Do you think that a Racist country has as Proceres (National Heroes) black people like Sergeant Cabral, or that the "Mother of the Country" is a black woman like Maria Remedios del Valle? in fact the latter, her image is CURRENTLY on the "10,000" bill.

Having made this historical introduction, I now tell you about the "Cultural" issue of Argentina, here whenever the word "Black" is used it is never done with discriminatory overtones, but on the contrary, it is said from a place of trust, I know that for It will be difficult for you to understand, but that is why I did the entire historical introduction, Argentina DOES NOT HAVE the history of historical Racism in Europe and North America, you cannot judge us in the same way because it is not the same, here we have a journalist who is "El Negro " Bulos (look him up if you want), that he is black and he presents himself that way, and if you ask him he will tell you that he NEVER saw his nickname as something negative and he NEVER in his life received racism for it, he will tell you that his The nickname was given to him by people who loved him or trusted him, never in a derogatory way, and being Argentine and growing up since he was a child, he knows it.

Enzo Fernandez's song is undeniably offensive, but it is not created from a Racist point of view, it is created from the "Folklore" of Argentine club fans, where offensive songs are made for the Rival, whether it is River against Boca, Racing against Independiente, etc. At no point in the song does it say that the French are black, or that it is bad to be black, or anything like that, they use the word "Angola" just because it rhymes, but it could be any African country, the The intention of the song is to "offend" the French because they take advantage of the virtues and physical advantages that Africans have to play soccer, as a way to touch their pride and make them angry for it, if it is offensive and ridiculous we know it , but it is not Racist from the point of view of the Argentine soccer fan, the error that you point out as a "cover-up" is that it has been made public because many of the countries in Europe have a disastrous history of Racism and have only recently been eradicating it a few decades ago. those behaviors, and since the contexts were different, it could fall badly (which in fact is what ended up happening), Enzo when that song starts playing cuts off Instagram Live immediately, he doesn't even get to sing, if he were truly Racist he wouldn't care and I wouldn't have cut it, I would have continued and sung it in full.

I ask that when doing an analysis, you put yourself in the cultural contexts of the countries of origin, because if you analyze it from the cultural context of your own country you are going in the wrong place, the historical origin is different in all cases.

I hope you publish my message, I did not come to generate debate, just to give a different point of view

Man, I would just use your words as a trigger, Im' not judging your view or yourself, just in case.

"In Conclusion, is the song bad? YES, IT IS VERY OFFENSIVE"

The song comes from a very misguided Football Lore, yes it's true. YET in that Lore, there are no rules or limits regarding xenophobia, racism, digs on genre, sexual orientation, social "level", etc...in that sense it's quite low key, it could have been way worse sadly.

So in the same way few people raises a hand if players/clubs are called cnuts, your wife is a whore, fecking midget, sudaca, paleto, retard, etc etc without involving a race or xenophobic slurr, ALL OF THEM have a "bad origin": The ONE that believes that a certain group, country, social background, genre, sexual orientation or ethnicity belongs to an inferior "place".
The song itself has a racist, xenophobic social component involved in it...and I explain it why down below...

It's true that at a certain degree, it wasn't created for that purpose, for chanting against black fellas, in fact in some way it's a dig against white French people. The idea is to mock the French for not using French players and using their old or current Colonies to snatch players from those areas since very young (or their fathers) and later "use" them for the NT.
A very debateable thing to say, even if it has some traction behind it too.
So at the end of the day the idea that runs under the whole concept, it's that French people CAN't be black, there IS the racial component of the song that black people in France or the world can feel offended by. Therefore there is an underlying racist/xenophobic component under it.

This football LORE should be adress? yes. If it's a song sang by fellow footballers? more. It's Enzo a racist? very much doubt it.

How should be adress the Football Lore? not precisly in a very silly way that it was portraited here in many posts I've read. But I don't have a real answer to that. And I do think also that there are lots of other "groups" included in such lore that should be analyzed and actually try to rethink the whole thing not just by the surface.

JUST AS A SIDE NOTE: Seeing lots of posts regarding how it's the deal down here, I'll give my input. So a final rant about social and ethnical and background in Argentina:

Regarding the silly armchair debate if Argentina it's racist or not, the country has it's racist/xenophobic component as any country in the world but its' not normally focus on black people. Like most cases in the world it's more social related and associate to a certain ethnical background with poor origins and their menace to society than anything, the usual inmigration it's the scapegoat (even the migration from inside, meaning the one from the rural areas to the Metropolis).

In fact as silly as it might sound, people like Enzo, with an amerindian look, are the ones that deal on daily basis with more prejudiced even if nowadays this ethnical background it's by far the more predominant in Argentina. The suppose predominant white Argentina does not exist anymore since time and this sometimes triggers some of the real racist fellas down here, like it happens in the USA or other Eruopean countries when certain countries and their ethnical origin it's not considered desireable or closer to the establishment.

Back to football, the Lore of course would involve chants or mockery against black people, but in a way that it's sadly a default in the whole world, hundreds of years of slavery and the status of black people are still present as an easy target, even if in every day life down here, black people are more prone to be seen as cool, rare and not a menace to "the society".

On the other hand inmigrant people from neigbour countries, more if they have some amerindian look and people from inside the country with an amerindian background are normally more stigmatized.
To the extremely silly point that you can easily see fans from rivals clubs with such ethnical origin giving shyte to each other with chants regarding that "brown" origin...pretty fecking stupid, but also an example of how societies divdide people that belong to people that do not belong. Sad to say the least.

Historically there are two reasons why black people aren't normally bad treated, mostly there are more scarce, (as a side note some of them have been Independence War Heroes, yet let's not dig too much why many black people have been involved In many Independence wars in the world), but mostly because they were never view as the scapegoat of financial problems, delicuency or a certain menacing religion carriers, etc due to massive inmigration.

Finally even if there still exist prejudiced towards an amerindian look that I've mentioned above and it's the main racial/xenophobic issue. The society itself it's quite diverse, the Spanniards since day one and the main Religion: Catholicism didn't went against mixed race relantionships, nor mixed religion marriages and a large etc.

There isn't a puritan Religious vein in the Country, even if the inmigration from Europe also involved lots of French, German, Russian, Polish, Croat, and even Anglo people...once here those type of prejudices were sort of diluted.

It become such a melting pot, of so many people escaping tragedy, even lately there are lots of Russians and Ukranians arriving and also quite a lot of people from many Africans countries trying to reset their lifes, that mostly people just get along. Laso from Asian counties like Korea and China mostly.
This melting pot enviroment made people call Armenians a "Turco (a Turkish, yeap you've heard it), an Italian from the North can be called a "Tano" (related to be from Naple), every single Spanniard is a "Gallego", a jewish origin person is a "Ruso (Russian)", a blond fella was a "Polaco (Polish, no matter if he was Spanniard, Italian, German, English or whatever)" and "Negrito or Negro (black or blacky)" its a term of endearment, no matter if you are brown, black, white or whatever.

So it is what it is, there are mostly xenophobic waves, deep worldwide racial issues, but mostly quite a melting pot without major issues regarding Religions and race, like Apartheid or Segregattion by Law and such.
Sorry for the long post, just a very on the fly and superficial view on the subject.

Last edited:
Enzo when that song starts playing cuts off Instagram Live immediately, he doesn't even get to sing, if he were truly Racist he wouldn't care and I wouldn't have cut it, I would have continued and sung it in full.
You don’t really think that, do you?

On the contrary, you come in here repeating arguments that have been extensively discussed and partly (or completely) debunked already, and now you're annoyed that we're not accepting it as Truth.

And now you've sunk so low as to suggest that people are pointing out the racism in the song out of spite against the Argentinian national team (totally unfounded just a random ad hominem accusation), and that the real racism is that some thing the song is racist (which is an absurd reversal).

I'm sorry, but this is a very poor contribution to the discussion.
That, I think, is part of the weird defensiveness others have noted.

I've enjoyed reading some of the contributions by South Americans in this thread, the ones that give insight into the cultures of various South American countries, especially Argentina in this case. In fact, I'd love to learn more. I'm even open to understanding some of the cultural relativity that might be happening. But it's not some kind of attack on the entire country of Argentina to point out obvious racism when a handful of prominent Argentines sing an obviously racist song. What's disturbing is how many of their compatriots (from government officials to former and current players to social media users) have doubled down and even made ludicrous accusations like the one you're replying to.

I don't for one minute think all Argentines are racist, but this incident has at the very least highlighted a large blindspot there. A blindspot some of our own compatriots share when it comes to the history of our own country (Canada), although it feels like we've perhaps made a little more progress.

That, I think, is part of the weird defensiveness others have noted.

I've enjoyed reading some of the contributions by South Americans in this thread, the ones that give insight into the cultures of various South American countries, especially Argentina in this case. In fact, I'd love to learn more. I'm even open to understanding some of the cultural relativity that might be happening. But it's not some kind of attack on the entire country of Argentina to point out obvious racism when a handful of prominent Argentines sing an obviously racist song. What's disturbing is how many of their compatriots (from government officials to former and current players to social media users) have doubled down and even made ludicrous accusations like the one you're replying to.

I don't for one minute think all Argentines are racist, but this incident has at the very least highlighted a large blindspot there. A blindspot some of our own compatriots share when it comes to the history of our own country (Canada), although it feels like we've perhaps made a little more progress.
As for that last point - yes, definitely. That are groups that deny the negative effects of residential schools, and come disturb the child burial sites that have been discovered the past few years. Similarly, the Netherlands, my other 'home', has come closer to acknowledging its huge role in the slave trade and what it did to its colonies (primarily Indonesia and Suriname), but there's still plenty to gain. I've just not wanted to bring it up, cause it's irrelevant to the discussion and I don't want to provide fuel to whataboutism.

Also, according to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Argentines, these were the formally counted population numbers:

YearPopulation% of
Argentina
177868,46536.82%
2010149,4930.37%
2022302,9360.66%

The Argentinian population was obviously small in 1778 and the huge influx of white migrants in the 19th century was a key cause to the relative reduction of the white population, but that wasn't an accident: the governments of the time actively strived to whiten Argentina's population, also through policies that caused black people to want to marry whites for their future.

The Wikipedia article discusses this in significant detail, but here's a quote from the 1895 Census: "It will not take long for the population to be completely unified into a beautiful new white race."

And here's a quote from 1905 that's considered typical of the time: "Little by little, this race is becoming extinct... The race is losing its primitive colour in the mixture. It becomes gray. It dissolves. It lightens. The African tree is producing white Caucasian flowers."

So it seems pretty obvious that Argentinian society in the 19th century was deeply racist and that this contributed to the relative disappearance of the black population.

I'll add that this is nothing special for the time. Racism was rife among governing economic, and cultural elites all over Europe and the Americas during this time period. So I'm not trying to say that Argentina was particularly racist, but that this stance that Argentina really wasn't racist is absurd. I would also suggest that this stance (among those that hold it) is probably part of the reason why a lot of Argentinians are appearing blind to racism.

(I'll also add that I think @Just Hope has contributed some excellent posts to the discussion, that seem to put things in context really well.)
Very good points. The formal abolition of slavery in Europe and its colonies did not magic away the issue of racism.

Am I reading it right that the view from Argentina is that it is ok to say or do racist things provided you're not a racist?

The intention of the song is to "offend" the French because they take advantage of the virtues and physical advantages that Africans have to play soccer,
Ok, I'm done with the internet for tonight. Bye everyone.

I see. So the real victims are Enzo and those singing the song. The real racism is calling out racism. Cool.

As for that last point - yes, definitely. That are groups that deny the negative effects of residential schools, and come disturb the child burial sites that have been discovered the past few years. Similarly, the Netherlands, my other 'home', has come closer to acknowledging its huge role in the slave trade and what it did to its colonies (primarily Indonesia and Suriname), but there's still plenty to gain. I've just not wanted to bring it up, cause it's irrelevant to the discussion and I don't want to provide fuel to whataboutism.
Yes, and I even distracted myself by thinking about it, as I wanted more to address the implication that those condemning the racist chant are somehow channeling a subconscious envy toward the current world champions. It's ludicrous on so many levels. Most of us admired Argentina during the last World Cup and this Copa America. They're an interesting mix of aesthetically pleasing and brutal football. We're on a United forum, so many of us watched the Copa to see how Licha and Garna would do. But we might also be repelled by the likes of Emi Martinez. As exhausted as most of us are by the endless fanboy arguments between the two so-called GOATs, we've enjoyed watching Messi over the years. I've never felt any kind of universal antagonism toward the Argentina national team, even back in the "Hand of God" or the Beckham red card days (my own roots are English). To me, it was an enjoyable rivalry and the Argies always won. :lol:

But yes, without derailing the discussion into whataboutism (btw, to the person who denied this concept, would they prefer "false equivalence"?), I do feel like Argentina as a country is nowhere near the reckoning stage other nations have reached. That's not complacency, as there's still a long way to go. But I hope Argentina begins a conversation with itself on the back of such incidents as this.

Ah brilliant, the defence of racism in Argentina with the good ole tried and tested Eugenics defence.

YearPopulation% of
Argentina
177868,46536.82%
2010149,4930.37%
2022302,9360.66%

You know how Wikipedia works, right? How on earth can you make statements like the ones above based on Wikipedia?

Firstly, that census data is wrong. I checked the linked pdf that supposedly supports it called "1778 Census" as obviously the INDEC didn't exist so could hardly publish that. It's a scan of a book containing census data of a single region (later province, Catamarca) where 15,000 people lived in total (3-4% of the country's population).

Second, what sort of agenda is likely to drive someone editing such a subject matter? Don't you find it fishy that the section listing places where the black contingent was large deliberately did not include the data for Buenos Aires? Can you think of a single reason a sane unbiased contributor wouldn't include that data point? Can you think of any reason to exclude it other than "shit, it doesn't fit my angle"?

Finally, of course anyone can find quotes from racist people with grand plans that sound awful, that holds for any country. I won't even bother check them because they are most likely true, even if quite probably from people not in a position to do feck all with regards to execution (else that would have been highlighted with neon lights and you would have seen fit to do so as well).

None of that supports your making of such a strong and definitive statement as "it seems pretty obvious that Argentinian society in the 19th century was deeply racist and that this contributed to the relative disappearance of the black population"

As a parallel, I'll make an equally absurd logical argument despite being based on much more compelling and accurate evidence. Hopefully through the path of what you know to be absurd it will sink in. In 1952, the British government chemically castrated a brilliant war hero by the name of Alan Turing, it follows that all Brits are homophobes :rolleyes:

Feck me, you are the ones doing quality control here?

At the end of the day, Enzo has apologized, and the issue will be dealt with by Chelsea. I invite everyone who wants to visit Argentina. You will find us to be very different from what some random opinion makes us out to be, and hopefully, you can form your own opinion. It is also a good opportunity for a budget holiday because it is pretty cheap.

You know how Wikipedia works, right? How on earth can you make statements like the ones above based on Wikipedia?

Firstly, that census data is wrong. I checked the linked pdf that supposedly supports it called "1778 Census" as obviously the INDEC didn't exist so could hardly publish that. It's a scan of a book containing census data of a single region (later province, Catamarca) where 15,000 people lived in total (3-4% of the country's population).

Second, what sort of agenda is likely to drive someone editing such a subject matter? Don't you find it fishy that the section listing places where the black contingent was large deliberately did not include the data for Buenos Aires? Can you think of a single reason a sane unbiased contributor wouldn't include that data point? Can you think of any reason to exclude it other than "shit, it doesn't fit my angle"?

Finally, of course anyone can find quotes from racist people with grand plans that sound awful, that holds for any country. I won't even bother check them because they are most likely true, even if quite probably from people not in a position to do feck all with regards to execution (else that would have been highlighted with neon lights and you would have seen fit to do so as well).

None of that supports your making of such a strong and definitive statement as "it seems pretty obvious that Argentinian society in the 19th century was deeply racist and that this contributed to the relative disappearance of the black population"

As a parallel, I'll make an equally absurd logical argument despite being based on much more compelling and accurate evidence. Hopefully through the path of what you know to be absurd it will sink in. In 1952, the British government chemically castrated a brilliant war hero by the name of Alan Turing, it follows that all Brits are homophobes :rolleyes:

What? If you're trying to draw a parallel to:

"It seems pretty obvious that Argentinian society in the 19th century was deeply racist and that this contributed to the relative disappearance of the black population"

then a more accurate (though still not exact) equivalent would be:

"In 1952, the British government chemically castrated a brilliant war hero by the name of Alan Turing; it follows that British society in the mid twentieth century was deeply homophobic."

Which few would argue against. Your conclusion (bolded) isn't even a parallel.

What? If you're trying to draw a parallel to:

"It seems pretty obvious that Argentinian society in the 19th century was deeply racist and that this contributed to the relative disappearance of the black population"

then a more accurate (though still not exact) equivalent would be:

"In 1952, the British government chemically castrated a brilliant war hero by the name of Alan Turing; it follows that British society in the mid twentieth century was deeply homophobic."

Which few would argue against. Your conclusion (bolded) isn't even a parallel.
For the most part all that has been used to say they are and always have been racist.

But yeah, I'll entertain your correction:

"In 1952, the British government chemically castrated a brilliant war hero by the name of Alan Turing. The democratically elected British government didn't apologise for this until 2009, three years later a different democratically elected government retracted the apology as out of place given that in 1952 he had indeed committed a crime, the Queen didn't apologise until 2013 and Parliament didn't pass a Law retroactively absolving those guilty of buggery until 2017. It follows that British society in the mid twentieth century was deeply homophobic and less than 15 years ago where still terribly confused about the whole issue"

Better?

At the end of the day, Enzo has apologized, and the issue will be dealt with by Chelsea. I invite everyone who wants to visit Argentina. You will find us to be very different from what some random opinion makes us out to be, and hopefully, you can form your own opinion. It is also a good opportunity for a budget holiday because it is pretty cheap.
I would love to visit one day. Any advice for an outsider?

Quality control
Wesley Fofana's tweet with Enzo Fernandez live Insta stream (the racist chant starts at about 34 seconds):

The French Federation have taken action.

Quoting some posts from the Enzo thread:

Licha and Garnacho may be in trouble for us.

Argentina is a horrible country.

As American, I would take the worst of France over the best of Argentina. No question.

As American, I would take the worst of France over the best of Argentina. No question.
Fecking hell in a thread full of intentional and unintentional racism, just labeling a country as horrible has to take the cake.

:lol: Ah we’re going down this pathetic route again. This coming from someone whose country has made war crimes fashionable.

To be fair, Argentina had a time with that as well.

I say that to point out… it’s stupid to argue over that stuff

Still the original sentence it's so over the top, that actually works as a great hiperbole and its trully kind of funny.

I've missed this part...THAT IT's SO NO TRUE.
Negro (black) it's not always used reffering to actually trully african american black people, but mostly towards amerindians, mestizos or even Euro origin dark skin people. It can be a term of endearment a lot of times, but it doesn't take away that it's also very a derogatory term.
PD: the worse and sillier example is the "negro de mente" claim because it's even worse.

Anyway, going back to the original issue that generateed this thread, the real issue here it's the whole Football Folklore around the world (not just in Argentina) that always used derogatory terms normally associated to minorities, genres, xenophobic stuff, people with medical conditions or social relegated ones, etc...how can this be solved? I dunno, but it certainly doesn't have its origin in football and certainly won't be solved from there.

Yet to the very least Pro Football players can start to be more aware and having more empathy towards their colleagues that even with no real ill intention a certain song with clear racial, xenophobic undertones can trigger to the very least a lot of fellow workers. That to the very least it's some sort of start.

On a purely practical level, if you are going to constantly make offensive comments or jokes, you are bound to cross a line, to racism, homophobia, misognyny, or general dishonor. When that happens, there'll be consequences you can't control.

If Argentinians' 'football folklore' is to constantly make offensive jokes then they're likely cross a line, and develop a bad reputation for it, one that they may feel doesn't reflect their character. Argentinians have two options: they can accept this as the cost of their 'banter', or they can change their culture. There isn't really a third option.

Last edited:

It's pretty clear what you're suggesting here. So, let's test it.

Here is the quote where specific regions are named:

The 1778 census conducted by Juan José Salcedo of Vértiz showed very high concentration of blacks (though largely the product of varying degrees of racial mixing with white and indigenous people) in cities located in regions where agricultural production was greatest: 54% in Santiago del Estero, 52% in San Fernando del Valle de Catamarca, 46% in Salta, 44% in Córdoba, 44% in San Miguel de Tucumán, 24% in Mendoza, 20% in La Rioja, 16% in San Juan, 13% in San Salvador de Jujuy and 9% in San Luis, although there were some more in other cities and towns that were small percentages there. For example, one of the currently rich neighbourhoods of the city of Corrientes is still known as "Camba Cuá", from the Guarani kamba kua, meaning "cave of the blacks".

Your claim is that Buenos Aires is deliberately left out of this list because it contradicts the narrative. From what I can find, in 1778 the population of Buenos Aires consisted of 17 % black people. It seems to me that would fit very nicely into the list, and moreover, is perfectly consistent with the claim that the national average was 30 %, don't you think?

British society in the mid 20th century was deeply homophobic though? In fact the Turing example is a literal perfect example of that? Nobody sane would even think to dispute that statement.

Not to mention that the poster you've quoted has no link to the UK whatsoever.

So they are not above criticism, I criticize them for being hypocrites that they are, problem?

No problem buddy. I'm glad this happened, the French FA and black players got what they deserved. Carry on.