Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Inquiries ended | Back in the squad

I can't bold things for some reason, but it seems you want the first part of your post to happen.

Not really I think the club showed nothing but cowardice in the statement and their handling of the whole situation. I maintained that the club actually don't stand for anything having wilted to public pressure.

If this situation is dealt with the same standard then at the very least it perceivably shows there is a precedent. But as others have highlighted there are some fundamental differences so I can see both sides of the equation.

Yeah, innocent until proven guilty is a fairly straightforward concept. You can’t condemn based on hearsay alone. The evidence that came out against Greenwood was uniquely damning and very very unusual.
Indeed. It was unique. To be honest this one is crazy too. I’ve never known multiple media outlets to publish WhatsApp messages, photos and witness testimony whilst an investigation is occurring.

Yeah, innocent until proven guilty is a fairly straightforward concept. You can’t condemn based on hearsay alone. The evidence that came out against Greenwood was uniquely damning and very very unusual.

More allegation than hearsay.

did this happen here or in Brazil?
Trying to read up on it but it seems that at least one of the incidents she's claiming happened on a certain date and he was in the UK, and he was actually playing against Bournemouth or someone at the time. Not sure where she was though

Indeed. It was unique. To be honest this one is crazy too. I’ve never known multiple media outlets to publish WhatsApp messages, photos and witness testimony whilst an investigation is occurring.

I remember seeing a bunch of WhatsApp (or maybe Insta DMs?) published when the Partey accusations came out. Although I can’t remember if I saw them on social media or in the mainstream press.

Either way, it’s surely going to make a mess of whatever legal case is being built. She must be getting terrible advice.

EDIT: Did all the Jonny Depp/Amber Heard photos only get published after the court case? Or before?

Saddest thing is he won't be missed on the pitch if he is let go.

What's with United players and abusing women...

Giggs, Greenwood and now Antony. Have i missed anyone?

did this happen here or in Brazil?

Apparently - I say apparently - at least one incident took place in the UK.

And again apparently this has been reported to the GMP.

(This is being reported all over the place at the moment, but not by any sources I'd call reliable).

Some tweets circulating he's been dropped from the Brazil squad for their upcoming games.

I hope the allegations aren't true for his and her sake.

Assuming you mean Ray Rice, he never played another down in the NFL
True. He's just a regular fixture at the Raven's camp. I was trying to think about who came back but when I googled it there were just so many of them that had been arrested for domestic abuse. The more recent ones generally don't come back anymore.

I don’t get why people feel like club has to react the same way they did with Greenwood. There was no other way for United to react when Greenwood’s case unfolded, he was arrested, our only choice was to suspend him.

Not that I don’t think Antony should be suspended. He should at least take a break now, and club should wait until investigation shows some evidence one way or the other. Just merely pointing out our hands were tied in Greenwood’s case, while we actually have a choice here.

I don’t get why people feel like club has to react the same way they did with Greenwood. There was no other way for United to react when Greenwood’s case unfolded, he was arrested, our only choice was to suspend him.

Not that I don’t think Antony should be suspended. He should at least take a break now, and club should wait until investigation shows some evidence one way or the other. Just merely pointing out our hands were tied in Greenwood’s case, while we actually have a choice here.

This is what people continue to miss.
Greenwood was arrested, and suspended. Antony is part of an ongoing investigation and is yet to be arrested.

If he's arrested, he'll be suspended untill the end of the case. I wouldn't expect him to play on bail like others have.

True. He's just a regular fixture at the Raven's camp. I was trying to think about who came back but when I googled it there were just so many of them that had been arrested for domestic abuse. The more recent ones generally don't come back anymore.

I absolutely know what you mean though. I think the NFL is probably even worse for excusing behaviour then anywhere else.
In the words of the Cardinals general manager, "If Hannibal Lecter ran a 4.3, we'd probably diagnose it as an eating disorder." "

I think it’s fairly bizarre to drop him for the same allegations that have been in the public sphere for 4 months. Why did they call him up in the first place?
Maybe the police in Brazil are threatening to arrest him if he goes there?

I think it’s fairly bizarre to drop him for the same allegations that have been in the public sphere for 4 months. Why did they call him up in the first place?

4 months ago Greenwood was not politely shipped off Manchester & the Spanish FA has not self destructed yet by refusing to face any reasonable consequences to a very public outcry.

I'm picking two, maybe there's others (including some domestic to Brazil I'll be ignorant of) but you get the idea. Not very consistent perhaps.

Last edited:
Because football is an "act when its public" game. Always has been.

If you didn't laugh you'd cry.

Our club is the worst run club in the world by a mile. It's like no one in the club is capable of ever making a single good decision.

Not saying anyone could have prevented this from within the club but it just feels like everything is a shit show.

Last edited:
Dropped from national team

4 months ago Greenwood was not politely shipped off Manchester & the Spanish FA has not self destructed yet by refusing to face any reasonable consequences to a very public outcry.

I'm picking two, maybe there's others (including some domestic to Brazil I'll be ignorant if) but you get the idea. Not very consistent perhaps.
It was a story in Brazil two weeks ago. He shouldn’t have been called up if they’ve dropped him based on today’s media story