Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Jamie Vardy says hi.
So do Perisic, Partey, Immobile....

Many players get much better in their late 20s, it's simply not true that you should be on top of your game at 22.

Again - Antony visibly has many qualities. If he can't show them here consistently, he should go.

Gordon Godot

Jamie Vardy says hi.
So do Perisic, Partey, Immobile....

Many players get much better in their late 20s, it's simply not true that you should be on top of your game at 22.

Again - Antony visibly has many qualities. If he can't show them here consistently, he should go.
He really doesnt. If they are so visible where are they? He can't beat people, he doesn't hit the byline, he is woefully one footed, his passing is poor and his crossing not much better. Be honest.

Stacks

He really doesnt. If they are so visible where are they? He can't beat people, he doesn't hit the byline, he is woefully one footed, his passing is poor and his crossing not much better. Be honest.
due to his cost and Nationality, I feel people are determined to believe there is a player in their somewhere and pretend he has qualities which he does not possess. If you the talents required for a wing forward, what does he possess that is above the median skill level for his position?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The guy is rubbish, and it's on ETH. He wanted him, he signed him and he plays him. So he has to sort it out. Antony will, eventually, score a goal, probably a good looking goal... the law of averages more than anything else suggest that he will do something, eventually... but he's rubbish. Obvious. We need to move on. Look at Jack Grealish at City.. he was ok last season, but Pep wanted to improve, with more pace, more power, more direct player. Look at Doku. And Grealish sits out, and now has to try and find his way back into the team. That's a proper club, a proper manager.

We are still debating whether Antony should play, if anything is wrong with him, bla bla bla. This isn't personal, the guy just isn't that good. Out on loan in January please (at the very least). He is a poor reflection of the standards at the club.
Agree with you.
Hes muck.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
It's exactly the opposite. Due to his price people have an agenda that he's trash.

He is not a direct winger with blazing speed, but he is technically excellent.

Honestly I'll support every Manchester United player to do his best. If it wasn't meant to be - it just wasn't.

Antony 100% has the qualities to be excellent for us. Currently it's not working but maybe the situation will change.
I feel maybe he's putting himself under too much pressure to do something special in games and that's why he is fading away quickly.
He should just stick to basics - quick passes to free teammates, running into space and tracking back.
Go for the flick, trick or shot only if it's with high chance for success.
Do not try to make something happen out of nowhere.

Once he gets 3-4 solid performances in a row, he'll build confidence.

It might not happen, he might fail as United player, but he has what it takes and I'm certain.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's exactly the opposite. Due to his price people have an agenda that he's trash.

Honestly I'll support every Manchester United player to do his best. If it wasn't meant to be - it just wasn't.

Antony 100% has the qualities to be excellent for us. Currently it's not working but maybe the situation will change.
I feel maybe he's putting himself under too much pressure to do something special in games and that's why he is fading away quickly.
He should just stick to basics - quick passes to free teammates, running into space and tracking back.

It might not happen, he might fail as United player, but he has what it takes and I'm certain.
He's been following this advice since he came here, one of the least likely player to produce an assist in our squad.

aeh1991

He hasn't shown any sign that he has "100% the qualities to be excellent for us". Really no.

Captmfla

The fans are being too reactive just because of some bad performances.

He may not look like he's worth 80 mil but most rate him around 40 mil and that's still higher and better than Pellestri or Amad.

Ole'sgunnarwin

If you're 100% sure, can you tell 5 qualities he has to succeed here?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
1. Work rate and determination
2. Technical skills (first touch, ball control, ball protection)
3. Good link up play
4. Dangerous shot
5. Quick start

He has shown all of these qualities in United shirt.
What he doesn't have is good top speed and good crossing ability.

I hope he becomes the player he can be.
If not - too bad.

poleglass red

The fans are being too reactive just because of some bad performances.

He may not look like he's worth 80 mil but most rate him around 40 mil and that's still higher and better than Pellestri or Amad.
40 mill is what we should have and could have bought him for if we moved quicker. Even at 40 mill his return has been very poor so far. Put it this way, if we put him up for sale right now, you'd bite the hand of any club offering anywhere near to that amount. His first season was poor after a bright start. The team is disjointed now with poor tactics and injuries, quite a few players are low on confidence. My concern for him, is he's not a goal scoring winger, he's not a creative assist king. His only attribute is his work rate, which should be a given and not an asset. Other players like Bruno, Rash, we know they are playing poorly also, but we know they can turn it around. Antony I don't get that feeling. Maybe in a possession based team, he'd be useful recycling possession, but we aren't that.

FerociousCorgis

Probably our worst signing he is absolutely useless.
nah we have had worse signings. Alexis was an absolute disaster for us. Then you have players like Bebe or Obertan. Schneiderlin in midfield was just pathetic. Hell sancho hasnt really done anything of note either. Just to name a few, could easily go into more of the lesser paid ones.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
nah we have had worse signings. Alexis was an absolute disaster for us. Then you have players like Bebe or Obertan. Schneiderlin in midfield was just pathetic. Hell sancho hasnt really done anything of note either. Just to name a few, could easily go into more of the lesser paid ones.
He is definitely challenging for the worst signing. Bebe and Obertan were shite but cheap, we lost like 6million on both them combined. Sancho was expensive but he was top tier promising and talented player, no doubts about it - it went south because of his character, not because he's a bad player. Antony is just shocking bit of transfer business.

FerociousCorgis

He is definitely challenging for the worst signing. Bebe and Obertan were shite but cheap, we lost like 6million on both them combined. Sancho was expensive but he was top tier promising and talented player, no doubts about it - it went south because of his character, not because he's a bad player. Antony is just shocking bit of transfer business.
guess it depends on if someone wants to create some sort of cost per disappointment ratio. But regardless he isnt the worst talentwise that we have signed by far. Dude just needs to get his head out of his ass and start finishing moves off better and it would be a huge improvement. He has some good qualities just not sure if mentally he will ever put it all together at this level.

HJ12

I genuinely think he'll go down as the worst signing, not just in our history, but potentially all of football.

Worse then Coutinho, worse then Torres, worse then Sancho, worse then Griezmann, worse then Lukaku, worse then Carroll etc. etc.

At least with all of those (bar Carroll) the had been top class prior to the move and/or had very impressive stats (which to be faor to Carroll he actually had). This lad didn't even have the stats or, well, anything to back up his move.
Nicolas Pepe?

Marcus

I rewatched his Ajax vids. I think the problem is he is just so easy to defend against since the whole world knows he is best at cutting in and shooting. He did not really deprove but is just a very one-dimensional player.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nicolas Pepe?
Good shout actually - though considering how incredibly shit Nicolas Pepe is, even his stats still but Anthony to shame.

112 Apps (45 of which were on as a sub) for Arsenal, 27 goals and 21 assists - so 48 goal contributions

Anthony has 55 Apps (only 8 on as sub) has 8 goals and 3 assists... so at his current rate he'd have double that (16 goals, 6 assists), so less then half of what Pepe manage to contribute in a (not very good) Arsenal side.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
1. Work rate and determination
2. Technical skills (first touch, ball control, ball protection)
3. Good link up play
4. Dangerous shot
5. Quick start

He has shown all of these qualities in United shirt.
The only thing he shows on a consistent basis from that list is number 1. You could make a small argument for number 2 (ball protection in particular), although it hardly ever leads to anything useful in his case.

He's a one-footed (seemingly), one-trick pony who doesn't even excel at his one trick. He's already a contender for the worst signing post Fergie. Sancho's whining makes him marginally worse, but it's definitely between these two when you take price tag and playtime into consideration.

arthurka

Money involved would suggest otherwise.

FerociousCorgis

Money involved would suggest otherwise.
alexis was pretty expensive, and wage wise just completely blew things up as well. plus at least antony plays in a spot where we arent exactly stacked with options. I still remember thinking there is no way we spend all this money bringing alexis in to not play RW, when at the time both martial and rashford were playing well at LW. Instead we did and i was just speechless. So still think argument to be made he was a worse signing if you want to include money.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Imagine with Mazraoui-level full-back, simply standing still, given enough time, becomes threatening, as everyone on the pitch knows he's thundering forward on the over or underlap and all you've to do is hold your position and a world class option arrives. That simple lay off you then make looks like an immaculate part of a chained attack and you are immediately bought the time you need to make a secondary run, literally off the back (contingent) to the primary run of this Mazraoui-level player. Over time, really simple actions will build and you will look impressive and like you have very good decision making.

Take that Mazraoui-level full-back away, and Antony doing the same things looks lost and indecisive, especially when more often than not now, he'll be left having to go 1on1, or making a much tighter pass infield because nobody has provided a decoy run that opens easy passing lanes up. At Ajax, Antony didn't have to play as rushed as he does now and he didn't have to go 1on1; he couldn't be isolated with a full-back for very long because Ajax were the dominant team and spent the majority of their time swarming the opposition. Antony had his niche there and served a really useful purpose. He's got like a third of that use here as things stand.

I think it'll be incredibly difficult for him to unlearn a game he's reaped so much success from and had been executing since he got to Europe (?), I've never seen him in the Brasilero to comment on his game there, but I would not be in the least bit surprised if it followed the same principles, especially with their appreciation of the full-back's contribution to the attack.

Thing is, Antony should have a finite amount of time before others are given a go. I don't think it's right he gets to hog PT and others get hooked for weeks/months for games equally as bad as his. I also think this world class FB thing isn't just to his benefit as we have 3 wide playmakers at the club all of whom are RW's, and guess what? Said player would do wonders for the other two as well, and they are superior talents to Antony at base ends on top of that, so why should he be catered for in lieu of others?
The amount of playing time he's been given at this point is borderline shocking really. He's essentially been a locked in starter when fit since his arrival when nothing he's done has deserved that level of trust. I don't even think Pellistri is good enough to make it here, but I honestly trust him far more to make a positive impact on the attack than Antony at this point. And of course Amad should probably be the actual starter when all 3 are fit.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
guess it depends on if someone wants to create some sort of cost per disappointment ratio. But regardless he isnt the worst talentwise that we have signed by far. Dude just needs to get his head out of his ass and start finishing moves off better and it would be a huge improvement. He has some good qualities just not sure if mentally he will ever put it all together at this level.
Well you have to consider the price for that. I really don't give a feck about Obertan and Bebe. Antony was a huge mistake and one that isn't really a surprise considering he wasn't really that highly rated.

That said, it's not his fault, he just should've never been brought here.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I am not completely writing the guy off just yet.

He seems like he has some fight in him so I doubt he's just going to roll over and accept he's not good enough to play for a club like United.

This is his one big chance, I'm pretty sure he understands the situation and time is running out for him to succeed here.

Maybe at the end of the day, he is not quite good enough and so be it, but he would not be the first player to turn things around from a pretty crappy start.
There's a difference between playing poorly and lacking necessary ability though. It's the same reason any comparison to Nani has been idiotic, as Nani for all his inconsistencies was a brilliantly gifted footballer that you knew had a ceiling of a WC winger. Antony hasn't had a single performance to ever suggest that, even his best games for us have been "pretty good" and I can count those on probably a single hand

ColvaleGoa

I want just one bloody Brazilian to work for us. Like in the flair and Productivity sense.

I didn't have high hopes from Antony but neither did I expect him to be this gash. Only hope is he is a bit young, and he can reboot and restart after his off field troubles have been sorted.

The fact that he still does not want to go and use the touchline worries me and also got me wondering wth are the coaching team doing?. He should be fined every time he cut back and comes inside at every training session...that might work.(lol).

Maybe the swap with Barbosa might have some legs..though again I don't see anything special in Barbosa

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Bebe and Obertan were cheap punts whom we quickly moved on from. Not a fair comparison at all.

Marcus

Good cameo from him today, I thought.

The less touches he takes, the more effective he is.
I agree. Well done. Starting from the bench sharpens his mind as to how he needs to show he deserves to start.

Lyng

He did a few good things and quite a few bad as well. Really isn't good enough.

He did a few good things and quite a few bad as well. Really isn't good enough.
Eh? What bad things did he do?

He had a really good cameo, put a lovely chance on a plate for Rashford & had 100% pass completion. To claim anything other than it being a good cameo is fecking bizarre, the feck is wrong with some of our fans and their desperation to claim everyone is absolutely shite.

redcucumber

Eh? What bad things did he do?

He had a really good cameo, put a lovely chance on a plate for Rashford & had 100% pass completion. To claim anything other than it being a good cameo is fecking bizarre, the feck is wrong with some of our fans and their desperation to claim everyone is absolutely shite.
Well said. Even when our players have an obvious positive performance, people will still moan, criticise and keep the negative train in motion. It exposes how agendas blur discourse.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
He wasn't that great for São Paulo; players like Lucas Moura and David Neres were MUCH better than him for us. It was a big surprise when he exploded in Netherlands(is the Dutch League better than Brasileirão anyway? For sure Ajax is stronger than any team here(normally, at least), but the general level...I don't know).

Last edited:

berbasloth4

I believe if he was played from the left and was told to worry about getting good crosses in he could possibly be more effective.
When he is on the right I believe I could nearly mark him he is so predictable defenders are allowing him down the line cause he can’t use left foot so has to go back and then attacks fizzle out. If he we played from the left he could take one touch and cross or if shown down he line he wouldn’t have to turn back cause he would be on his stronger foot.

Matt851

I believe if he was played from the left and was told to worry about getting good crosses in he could possibly be more effective.
When he is on the right I believe I could nearly mark him he is so predictable defenders are allowing him down the line cause he can’t use left foot so has to go back and then attacks fizzle out. If he we played from the left he could take one touch and cross or if shown down he line he wouldn’t have to turn back cause he would be on his stronger foot.
There is little to indicate he is actually good after crossing the ball though