View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's completely intimidated by the power and pace of the league. It makes him hesitant.

Sometimes he'll be on the break with lots of space and he'll inexplicably slow down and turn. He's afraid of being chased down. At Ajax there were less physical beasts.

It's been long enough. He can't work in this league unless it's a diminished role. He could work in a strict possession system though.

He's not a bad footballer. I guess he could turn things around if United actually play football. But he's not beating fullbacks like Vini. Jr.

ScholesyTheWise

I watched him in the World Cup and he was marginally better than what he has been at Utd and from memory he played his most minutes against Cameroon which was the only game they lost in the group stage.
interesting. I wonder whether he just had much more confidence, or maybe the Cameroonian defenders were crap, or whatever it was.
Because even when we were good under ETH in the winter of last year,
and there were some games in which Antony was one of our better performers,
I don't recall him going past players, creating many chances, scoring that much [although he did score so important goals]...
He got praised- and righty so IMO- for the balance he brought to the team, his tenacity... people liked to think that he had that in his arsenal and more...

and for a while, it was just about ok that he didn't do much offensively, because Rashford was in such a crazy form and we somehow kept winning more often than not.

There will be very rare circumstances in which you can tolerate a winger who doesn't do much offensively and still be successful.
We had those circumstances for a couple of months in the first ETH year, but these times are long gone...

Man United is de-facto a mid-to-upper table team. The fact that he sticks like a sore thumb in a team with many other players who need to be sold says a lot. Bruno, Rashford, Mount are 3 players I'd like us to sell, but I can see them do well for other teams in the league. with Antony I don't see it.

Max_United

I’d like to give him another season under new structure.

1. He has been successful in all the seasons to date in his career so must be good.

2. He has a good last season.

3. He has been handicapped by our horrible structure and bad facilities.

4. He had to deal with off-field issues

5. We know that our structure incompetence made EtH do transfers against his wishes. I am sure that Antony also probably noticed something like how incompetent is lawn moving in Carrington and took it upon himself.

6. We have sold many wingers after Fergie - Di Maria, Depay, we are selling Sancho etc - it did not bring us anything. Cannot people see that it is not the wingers that are the problem? We need to break the circus of buying and immediately knee-jerk selling wingers.

7. it is too expensive anyway because of FFP.

8. There is no obvious replacement. If brexit ineos buy some overpriced English winger from Crystal Palace I would rather stick to Antony. At least he is Brazilian

9. Our entire back line was injured all the season. If you think it does not affect Antony’s dribbling, decision making, shooting and other abilities - you are deluding yourself

10. If we sell him for pennies to Bayern who will undoubtedly see him as a worthy heir of Robben, we will look stupid in a couple of years when he is contending for Ballon’d’Or

mu4c_20le

1. He has been successful in all the seasons to date in his career so must be good.

5. We know that our structure incompetence made EtH do transfers against his wishes. I am sure that Antony also probably noticed something like how incompetent is lawn moving in Carrington and took it upon himself.

6. We have sold many wingers after Fergie - Di Maria, Depay, we are selling Sancho etc - it did not bring us anything. Cannot people see that it is not the wingers that are the problem? We need to break the circus of buying and immediately knee-jerk selling wingers.

8. There is no obvious replacement. If brexit ineos buy some overpriced English winger from Crystal Palace I would rather stick to Antony. At least he is Brazilian

9. Our entire back line was injured all the season. If you think it does not affect Antony’s dribbling, decision making, shooting and other abilities - you are deluding yourself

10. If we sell him for pennies to Bayern who will undoubtedly see him as a worthy heir of Robben, we will look stupid in a couple of years when he is contending for Ballon’d’Or
Nice parody of the ETH backers

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

I've been waiting for a post like this.
Freshens the thread up :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fair play to him, took tons of time out to sign autographs and take photos with fans in front of the tunnel. Credit where it's due!

Nori-

Possibly our worst signing ever, even more than Harry Maguire.

What makes him doubly unlikable is the arrogance he gives off, like hes a player at the top of his game.

Cant wait to see the back of him.

jem

What makes him doubly unlikable is the arrogance he gives off, like hes a player at the top of his game.

He’s way worse than Maguire - Maguire has actually provided a handful of good seasons for us.

lsd

The Oracle

Wow I saw something about that but thought it was an old reaction from the cup game when he was asked to play there.

I honestly have no idea how he can complain about anything given his performances for us.

The guy shouldn't be on the pitch at all unless he's helping to drain the water after the game.

For him to have the nerve to complain about this after all the favouritism Ten Hag has shown him is shocking.

He has to follow Ten Hag out the door he's an absolute disgrace to the shirt

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Wow I saw something about that but thought it was an old reaction from the cup game when he was asked to play there.

I honestly have no idea how he can complain about anything given his performances for us.

The guy shouldn't be on the pitch at all unless he's helping to drain the water after the game.

For him to have the nerve to complain about this after all the favouritism Ten Hag has shown him is shocking.

He has to follow Ten Hag out the door he's an absolute disgrace to the shirt
yup

what a weird fish

whispering complaints to Gabriel Jesus of all people sums him up

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yep. And played extremely well when called upon - some would say should have started over Raphinha. But hey, he’s awful. we should keep the agenda posting going.
Calling it "agenda posting" when people *rightfully* call a winger that's scored 1 league goal since October 2022 a terrible player. This has to be an Antony burner

Valencia Shin Crosses

I get what you’re saying but I think the reason why Joelinton successfully transitioned into a CM in a 3 is two-fold: his ability in one v one takeons, and his strength and size. Antony unfortunately has neither of those traits. He’s also hideously one footed.

Perhaps, he could therefore maybe be a poor man’s Di Maria in the midfield like the Argentine did for Ancelotti? Problem there is again, Di Maria was a lot quicker, and a lot more creative. Antony has 3 assists in 53 matches, and I doubt his chance creation stats paint a better picture.

If all Antony offers is ball retention and press resistance, is it actually worth bothering trying to use him in midfield? And that’s without the tactical tinkering — I don’t think you can partner him in there with Fernandes and/or Mount with Mainoo or Casemiro, for instance.

I think the problem with Antony is more simple than that — he has some traits that illustrate top level quality but those in isolation can’t make up for the rest of the shortfalls (the biggest of which is that I just think the PL is too quick for him).
Yeah ADM was still a world class winger as well, he just played CM in those teams because they had BBC up front. And he's one of the very few that can get away with being that one footed because he's so brilliant anyways

I'm pretty tired of people waxing on about Antony's "ball retention" and press resistance. It's good I guess but it's also quite easy to be press resistant anyways if you are basically never looking to progress play/create anything, it's not like he's Messi where it's impossible to take the ball off of him and he's constantly dancing around tackles. He just holds it up and then recycles possession for 90% of his touches on the wing.

E-mal

I said in another thread the preferential treatment he has received from ETH and was asked by someone here to seek psychiatric help.
Both him and the manager have ruined United for me. I just don’t like him, regardless of how he performs. Something about him just puts me off and if he ever was decent he will be jumping ship with a bad attitude like he did at Ajax.

Ghirahim

He looked great in Holland dribbling past everyone but in the EPL he's utterly hopeless because he's up against far better defenders. ETH's worst signing.

Yakuza_devils

29 prem appearances 1 goal

£85.6m
All people involved in this deal should be immediately fired. That must includes the main culprit, ETH. It's the worst negligence case ever witnessed in football. In real world, this should be investigated if any corruption was involved. No sane person (let alone professional scouts, manager, executive in football club) will pay 85.6M for a player that is way out of the standard required in PL.

Captmfla

Let's give Antony a break. Come on, if he was seen smiling and laughing, people would say he's not serious. So now he gave a totally serious and focused look and people are still not happy about it.

Mike Smalling

I got to 5. before I realized it was a pisstake.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s a weird player isn’t he though. His touch is brilliant, he’s clearly pretty tricky and he’s actually good at working the half yard for the shot/pass. The issue is his ball striking is pants and he lacks top level vision to actually play the passes required. Just because of FFP, I’d probably give him one more season, but he should be a squad player at most really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s a weird player isn’t he though. His touch is brilliant, he’s clearly pretty tricky and he’s actually good at working the half yard for the shot/pass. The issue is his ball striking is pants and he lacks top level vision to actually play the passes required. Just because of FFP, I’d probably give him one more season, but he should be a squad player at most really.
It’s not just that though is it? Aside from creating little and scoring almost never, in terms of ball carrying, he can’t keep it going long enough to actually bother defences - because he lacks physicality and genuine pace. Neither has the qualities of a great winger nor those of an AM/ wide midfielder.

I’d have him, Rashford and Sancho all on the to sell list. But who goes depends on the market and next manager’s system.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s not just that though is it? Aside from creating little and scoring almost never, in terms of ball carrying, he can’t keep it going long enough to actually bother defences - because he lacks physicality and genuine pace. Neither has the qualities of a great winger nor those of an AM/ wide midfielder.

I’d have him, Rashford and Sancho all on the to sell list. But who goes depends on the market and next manager’s system.
I just think if he had top class ball striking and passing it wouldn’t be such an issue. His acceleration over the first 5 yards is decent enough and his tricks do usually work him half a yard, he is just criminally poor at exploiting that space. I agree he lacks the pace and physicality to beat people and go past them regularly, but loads of players compensate that by at least offering end ball threat which he doesn’t.

Mike Smalling

The most frustrating thing about buying Antony is that any half-decent scout would be able to pinpoint major issues with his game that makes him useless against better defenders. Specifically, it should have been obvious that he lacks true pace, physicality and an ability to go both ways. He is a testament to our terrible internal processes in terms of transfer decision making.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
When he runs its like he never gets going, like he's running on a treadmill. I can't even think of a time when he's ran in behind or past a player while running at stride. It just always seems like his legs are milling back and forth but getting nowhere, like he's fighting just to not go backwards.

RuudTom83

I guess to perform at the very top level you need to believe in yourself. But with Antony it’s hard to imagine he doesn’t realise how shit he has been in England.

But the whispering and gestures give off the impression, it’s not me, it’s the manager/tactics. ‍

Remember the geese

Is this true?
It is sort of true, but not fully. Antony employs someone to be his personal photographer (I think it's his brother), but not purely with the intention of capturing him score a goal. The idea is to create images/videos for his social media accounts. Lots of players do the same. I know someone who has done some work for Dalot in the past.

Robbie Boy

I'm not a fan of Maguire whatsoever but Antony is in a different stratosphere to Harry, when it comes to truly awful signings.