View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
100 per cent agree with everything you have said.

For me the worst aspect of it is that it affects the overall structure of games.

Antony justifiably not being seen as a threat, for the reasons you highlight, means other teams set up against us more proactively.

Its relatively easy for them to abandon him in space and make the pitch compact. As they're pretty confident that, even if we switch the ball out to him, he won't go anywhere with it before they catch up with him.

Antony doesn't play quick passes into space, he doesn't accelerate quickly enough towards the box. The ball going out to Antony is just a cue for the opposition to get back into shape as, invariably, Antony will either run into the first defender that closes him down or stop and go backwards.

The way Antony plays actually makes us easier to stop. Considering Ten Hag's stated goal is to make us the best transition team in England, I just don't see what he gets from persisting with Antony. He's the least Brazilian winger from Brazil I've ever seen.
What has been a massive disappointment for me is that for a play-making wide man, his usage of the ball and technical quality with it is appalling. A few have dug him out for his outright production numbers, and whilst they should be better, if they were excused by him being a string-puller who is opening up the field for others and being a masterful pre-assister, you’d get the reason why he could still be quality without amassing impressive outright goals and assists. I find his play-making ability to be shocking: pass selection; pass execution/acumen; reading of play; quickness of thought - he’s supposed to have #10 traits from the wing, but that part of his game is arguably worse than what he offers as a wide-forward or actual winger.

When he turns inside, it isn’t opening up the field for him and that isn’t making any sense. At those moments he’s on his best leg exclusively with as much time and space between he and opponents as he’ll ever be afforded in the PL, but there’s no feeling he can then manipulate the ball to do anything threatening with it off a pass… because his passing itself is very poor with, I think, the worst proficiency over distance after Pellistri (Who isn’t a playmaker, nor even going to want to attempt expansive passing over longer distance) out of all the other RW options.

Antony feasibly gets into the team because he keeps the width, ball carriage to alleviate pressure and bring others into play and then for his defensive qualities and tracking of runners, but as you say, if he cannot penetrate beyond a certain point, it’s a counter-tactic to be used to the opposition’s advantage as they can let him have the ball up to a certain point, and more importantly, have others in our team then initialise a break forward, potentially beyond him, then spring on him to cause the maximum amount of disarray in our side as then players aren’t set defensively and offensive spaces in those vacated pockets are there to be exploited.

What’s interesting in this league is how suppose strengths can be used against a side - for all the criticism our misfiring team gets, you can clearly see they are PL standard players I.e. McTominay is a goal threat, and if given too much of the ball in his threatening areas, there’s a high probability of him affecting the game. Same can be said of an out of form Rashford or Bruno having a really bad game; you can even say that if teams give Dalot too many long range opportunities, he’ll more than likely at least be a threat. Antony is rapidly losing that kind of aura and is being treated accordingly. If the manager is just going to persist with him irrespective of performance, he’s going to have to earn back some respect pronto otherwise he becomes a liability with no redeeming qualities.

I’ve been harping on about the importance of his overlapping FB in this thread, but that was in line with potentially turning him from average to whatever his top level can be, but currently, he is not a PL player, and as highlighted in the above paragraph, players who start for us, even at their very worst have an intrinsic value and certainty to the threat they carry. The same cannot be said of a wide attacker who: cannot beat a man 1on1; cannot playmake; struggles exceedingly to pass accurately whilst in motion; poor at crossing the ball and has no physical or athletic advantages. It’s a damning indictment, but you have to look at it objectively and then ask what attributes are left for a starting attacker, especially for a club expecting to compete for a CL spot every season. It would get to the point where if he has to field, a new position on the pitch would need to be eked out for him; some are saying FB, but he doesn’t have the attributes there either, imo.

I don’t want to write him off in the absolute sense, but if there’s no pick up or solution for him to find to be effective in this league, his days are going to organically be over soon enough anyway.

If your second most expensive player ever has has been a gigantic flop (in the bottom 13% percentile for assists, bottom 25% for goals) and your RW is offering nothing as a result, is that even scapegoating?

Not saying I disagree but im observing the pivot of the caf on to this lad.

From what we saw in Sunderland (yes, it is not PL so not the same thing), Amad is twice the player already. With much bigger potential. He will take RW spot when he becomes 100% fit.
Antony had better numbers at Ajax than Amads numbers at Sunderland. The Amad transfer was also a strange one though.....and Pellistri.
Still 95M is about 3x too much for Antony, and he should be nowhere near the first 11, either should Amad or Pellistri.

We are Manchester United and none of these 3 players are good enough for a top team in a top league.

That’s because his performances are getting exponentially worse and the way the oppositon are treating him, much more disrespectfully.

Dunno how you can say Antony is being scapegoated, when so many knives are out for Rashford. He’s gone from hero to being the consensus reason we’re so bad for so many on here.

To be fair, scapegoating would insinuate that people are blaming him (or putting a large portion of blame on him) for our current misfortunes.

I think most poeple just think he's absolute bobbins.

What has been a massive disappointment for me is that for a play-making wide man, his usage of the ball and technical quality with it is appalling. A few have dug him out for his outright production numbers, and whilst they should be better, if they were excused by him being a string-puller who is opening up the field for others and being a masterful pre-assister, you’d get the reason why he could still be quality without amassing impressive outright goals and assists. I find his play-making ability to be shocking: pass selection; pass execution/acumen; reading of play; quickness of thought - he’s supposed to have #10 traits from the wing, but that part of his game is arguably worse than what he offers as a wide-forward or actual winger.

When he turns inside, it isn’t opening up the field for him and that isn’t making any sense. At those moments he’s on his best leg exclusively with as much time and space between he and opponents as he’ll ever be afforded in the PL, but there’s no feeling he can then manipulate the ball to do anything threatening with it off a pass… because his passing itself is very poor with, I think, the worst proficiency over distance after Pellistri (Who isn’t a playmaker, nor even going to want to attempt expansive passing over longer distance) out of all the other RW options.

Antony feasibly gets into the team because he keeps the width, ball carriage to alleviate pressure and bring others into play and then for his defensive qualities and tracking of runners, but as you say, if he cannot penetrate beyond a certain point, it’s a counter-tactic to be used to the opposition’s advantage as they can let him have the ball up to a certain point, and more importantly, have others in our team then initialise a break forward, potentially beyond him, then spring on him to cause the maximum amount of disarray in our side as then players aren’t set defensively and offensive spaces in those vacated pockets are there to be exploited.

What’s interesting in this league is how suppose strengths can be used against a side - for all the criticism our misfiring team gets, you can clearly see they are PL standard players I.e. McTominay is a goal threat, and if given too much of the ball in his threatening areas, there’s a high probability of him affecting the game. Same can be said of an out of form Rashford or Bruno having a really bad game; you can even say that if teams give Dalot too many long range opportunities, he’ll more than likely at least be a threat. Antony is rapidly losing that kind of aura and is being treated accordingly. If the manager is just going to persist with him irrespective of performance, he’s going to have to earn back some respect pronto otherwise he becomes a liability with no redeeming qualities.

I’ve been harping on about the importance of his overlapping FB in this thread, but that was in line with potentially turning him from average to whatever his top level can be, but currently, he is not a PL player, and as highlighted in the above paragraph, players who start for us, even at their very worst have an intrinsic value and certainty to the threat they carry. The same cannot be said of a wide attacker who: cannot beat a man 1on1; cannot playmake; struggles exceedingly to pass accurately whilst in motion; poor at crossing the ball and has no physical or athletic advantages. It’s a damning indictment, but you have to look at it objectively and then ask what attributes are left for a starting attacker, especially for a club expecting to compete for a CL spot every season. It would get to the point where if he has to field, a new position on the pitch would need to be eked out for him; some are saying FB, but he doesn’t have the attributes there either, imo.

I don’t want to write him off in the absolute sense, but if there’s no pick up or solution for him to find to be effective in this league, his days are going to organically be over soon enough anyway.
Well put - this sums up so many of the issues with him...

It's to be expected when the team is not playing well and everyone's performances come under intense focus. If the team was playing well, the focus wouldn't be so intense. But I agree that he's not the sole reason we're playing badly. We were not playing any better when he was off in Brazil to deal with the allegations.

Ultimately the core problem is that the team doesn't seem well coached and is currently lacking in both form and confidence. Whoever comes in, will struggle.

Antony had better numbers at Ajax than Amads numbers at Sunderland. The Amad transfer was also a strange one though.....and Pellistri.
Still 95M is about 3x too much for Antony, and he should be nowhere near the first 11, either should Amad or Pellistri.

We are Manchester United and none of these 3 players are good enough for a top team in a top league.

So we should always buy established stars then. The United Way.

Not OP's point at all. What he's saying is that we should be investing in players based on their statistical contributions.

It's fine to take a few pot shots on youngsters who pass the eye test but have achieved relatively little on the pitch in the hope they'll improve. However, we can't expect them to make an instant impact.

But our 'first team ready' signings need to backed by evidence that they can do what they've been bought to do.

Doku for City was hardly a cheap signing, but was far from an established star. Yet, his attacking statistics were exceptional. There was never any indication that Antony was going to be a star based on his performances for Ajax. And to spend so much on him was nothing other than incompetent

Imagine if he just chipped in with say, 10 goals. Would make the world of difference to have a threat on the right. Instead teams are able to leave him isolated with the fullback and focus on marking Rashford and Hojlund. Hojlund is so crowded he isn't getting any spaces or chances created for him.

Based on what? Amad scored 14 and Antony scored 9 at his highest scoring season? I'm not here to bash Antony but let's not perpetuate inaccuracies. Amad is an exciting young talent who may or may not be good enough for us.

I get that Antony has been shit this season, but to use that as a stick to bat Ten Hag with is ludicrous. Last season he was decent enough without being spectacular, but he scored and assisted last season. It all went to shit once Erik hooked him for a dew games for doing that stupid spin and then dribbling it out of play.

He had two assists last season if you want to call them that and four goals the of which came in his first few games before he was found out.

That's not decent for 90 million it's shocking and this season has managed to be even worse

To be fair, scapegoating would insinuate that people are blaming him (or putting a large portion of blame on him) for our current misfortunes.

I think most poeple just think he's absolute bobbins.

Took the words out of my mouth, I don't think anyone has scapegoated him at all. He's just not the required level needed for the Premier League, the fact he cost close to 90 million just blows everyone's mind.

For me he's easily the worst signing in Premier League history and whoever sanctioned the transfer needs to be sacked. ETH should have been told the fee and what we felt his value was, the Director of football should have then said your ceiling price is 40 million and not gone above that.

Even 40 million would have been seen as overpaying in my eyes so the sanctioning of a 90 million pound transfer is one of he worst pieces of business of all time.

Why are we so bad at scouting talent?
Doku has better numbers in a single game than Antony this season, can play on both sides and was cheaper!

Good post, although I don't know when or why Antony was expected to be a playmaking winger other than non-penetrative wingers presumably having that as their alternative approach.

I just think ETH may have overrated him off his direct contributions in a defensively ropey Eredivisie and underestimated how quickly and easily (even devastatingly if we follow your argument) his shortcomings are getting exploited.

Space is a good place for him
Is it? He doesn't attack it, he is more like a giant vortex sucking it up and leaving you back in low block square one.

I know, you meant shooting him out there in a capsule, never to be heard of again.

Why are we so bad at scouting talent?
Doku has better numbers in a single game than Antony this season, can play on both sides and was cheaper!
In fairness, the rumour is our scouts said he was no good and not worth the money but since we had all that unspent Frenkie money we decided to please the manager getting him Antony at least.

I get that Antony has been shit this season, but to use that as a stick to bat Ten Hag with is ludicrous. Last season he was decent enough without being spectacular, but he scored and assisted last season. It all went to shit once Erik hooked him for a dew games for doing that stupid spin and then dribbling it out of play.
What a strange comment.

I just think ETH may have overrated him off his direct contributions in a defensively ropey Eredivisie and underestimated how quickly and easily (even devastatingly if we follow your argument) his shortcomings are getting exploited.

Either that, or his recent "we can't play Ajax style, it's not in the DNA" comments are...well, recent.

Personally, I thought he was a (overpriced, yes) "system" signing, i.e. a player ETH knew very well and trusted to carry out his instructions to the letter in a likely rough initial phase: someone who would "keep the shape", as it were, and whose direct contributions were of secondary importance (in that initial phase).

But I suppose what you suggest is also possible if ETH never intended to carry over much of the Ajax style (his Ajax style, I mean), but actually focused on (more) "direct" football from day one.

Neither interpretation paints our bald friend in a grand light, it must be said.

No, but those two in particular seemed very random, you could add Dan James to the same category (the only player we've made a few bucks on in a very long time though) 95M is not established star price, it is established megastar price. Not the right price for an "exciting" player with a couple of good seasons in Eredivisie. There was nothing on Antony's CV indicating that he would smash it in the PL or justify the insane pricetag.
He was just another player in that Ajax squad and not at all talismanic in any of the two seasons he was there. He was maybe Ajax' 7th most important player, miles behind the established players like Tadic, Haller, Berghuis and the defensive pack. If one should try out any young attacking midfielders from the Eredivisie based on the 21/22 season you should be looking at Gakpo (42M to Liverpool in January the next window after ripping apart the Eredivisie last fall) and Karlsson (12M to Bologna) who were much better and talismans for their teams. Or maybe look at players like Diaby (50M) or Kvaratskhelia (13M) who were starting to pull up trees at that time as well. Just to mention some names who would make more sense without being 100% safe bets.

Took the words out of my mouth, I don't think anyone has scapegoated him at all. He's just not the required level needed for the Premier League, the fact he cost close to 90 million just blows everyone's mind.

For me he's easily the worst signing in Premier League history and whoever sanctioned the transfer needs to be sacked. ETH should have been told the fee and what we felt his value was, the Director of football should have then said your ceiling price is 40 million and not gone above that.

Even 40 million would have been seen as overpaying in my eyes so the sanctioning of a 90 million pound transfer is one of he worst pieces of business of all time.
It's not even the transfer fee that I'm mad about, seeing as we always overpay for everyone - it's the fact that we're paying £200k a week in wages for this crap, ie 10X what he was on at Ajax. We could have offered him just double his Ajax wages and he would have been insane to turn it down. I can only assume his agent added an extra zero to his contract when nobody was looking.

Not only does his inflated pay distort our wage structure and leave less money for more deserving players, it will also make it much harder to sell him, because no club in the world is going to match his pay, and why would he agree to a pay cut when he's probably never going to see that sort of money ever again?

He's better than whatever that was against Fulham. That was the worst United performance by a player than I've seen in a while. We talk a lot about poor performances, but that was bottom of the barrel stuff. But that's not his level.

He's not a top, top footballer, but he was decent for us last season. He does have his uses to the team.

Just think his mental is completely shot at the moment. With form, personal issues and fans calling him an abuser every time he steps on the pitch. Needs a break away from football for some time.

Based on what? Amad scored 14 and Antony scored 9 at his highest scoring season? I'm not here to bash Antony but let's not perpetuate inaccuracies. Amad is an exciting young talent who may or may not be good enough for us.
Let me break that down for you:

Amad at Sunderland (in all comps):
14 goals (3 penalties) and 4 assists in 3015 minutes
0,33 non penalty goals/90 (0,42 goals/90)
0,12 assists/90
0,45 non penalty goals+assists/90 (0,55 goals+assists/90)

Antony for Ajax (his entire time there, 2 seasons in all comps):
24 goals (0 penalties) and 22 assists in 5662 minutes
0,38 non penalty goals/90
0,34 assists/90
0,72 goals+assists/90

Which of these wingers had the better numbers, in your book?

Good post, although I don't know when or why Antony was expected to be a playmaking winger other than non-penetrative wingers presumably having that as their alternative approach.

It's exactly as you've framed it, though isn't it? There's a reason your placed wide and still considered an attacker and it usually falls into three categories: Wing-forwards, who are all about goals, penetration and massive levels of productivity; skilful, more traditional wingers, who excel at most wingerish things and are the halfway house as they can track men and do very impressive defensive work as well as all the generic things wingers are supposed to do; and finally, the wide-playmakers, who can really alter the pace of a game and bend it to their will whilst bringing team-mates into the fold and being just as important to the side even if they don't get the direct assist or have much going on in terms of goals. Of course, you know all this, just framing my post.

Antony can never be a wing-forward. He's also very one dimensional and reliant on co-dependency, which is the antithesis of a winger, and he has all the tendencies of a wide-playmaker... without the play-making ability (ugh): he loves to hold up play, tick; potentially, he can attract men towards him with trickery, tick; but then it all nosedives because his skills to make the best of doing either of those things are bereft at this level. I think the job Grealish does as a wide-playmaker gives some outline of how it can be effective without being wholly productive in terms of outright G&A's.

I thought this kid would be a big signing for us for a number of reasons:

- We'd immediately provide him with an exceptional overlapper
- We'd cater to his game and have tremendous amounts of movement from other players [whilst he was in possession and holding up the ball to allow them to scatter as they saw fit]
- He'd show growth and improve from his time in Holland.
- The coaching would be such that we'd hone his game itself to a refined tip - think of the work a Pep or Klopp does with their forwards
- The manager had a better grasp of the league, so I trusted that his judgement would be on point, especially so after what he said about Pep underestimating the PL when he first arrived.
- That Antony himself was a smarter, more exploitative and opportunistic player than he has shown himself to be. Here, I think the league itself has really left him shell-shocked and the raw athleticism and aggression he is up against has overwhelmed him and crushed his confidence - he doesn't have the ego and arrogant swagger to himself that he entered the league with, he *knows* now that he can't best these - what must seem to him - hulking FB's and that's had a profound affect on his game and even what he attempts to do with the ball. This, or variants of it, happen to him with a frequency that's increasing now: https://youtube.com/shorts/xrPKINk9IxY?feature=shared not even contested for the ball; simply pushed off it.

In his defence, I will keep saying that what we have him as now was not in any way, shape or form how he made his name, and that's the cruel part in this. If we wanted a soloist who would receive no support and just be an exceptional individual who would be an island, he was never the profile of player we should have sought - his whole game is predicated on others doing things that enable him to do his, and we've gone the opposite direction of that - every clip or good bit of play I'd cite of him from Ajax, would be in some highly team-centric setting with massive contributions from one whirling dervish or another; there's no way the manager couldn't know he was a player with a massive co-dependency, so why isolate him? Having said that, being left to fend for himself, he shouldn't be this sub-PL level player.

0,12 assists/90

0,34 assists/90
0,72 goals+assists/90

Looks to me like Amad has scored more goals in a single season than Antony has managed to score in a single season.

Beings as I was looking for clips of Antony 1on1, this came up on my feed:

Don't know who he is, or if he's rated, but he's raising the same points as I'm guessing most United forums and social media are.

Worth the watch, if you're not into pages of text (here). He also asks what should be done with the player: moved in-field to escape being a wide-man (heh), or simply benched.

For me, it's time to give others a go at the RW spot. Antony isn't of the talent level you just leave him in the team regardless and forgo the development of others. He also needs time to go and get his head straight. He's probably at his lowest ebb as a pro right now, and keep him in the spotlight and having him fed to the FB's of the league is doing him no favours. Amad and Pellistri should get PT, and failing that, Mount, Rashford and Garnacho can all be played there.

Watching the highlights of Jeremy Doku from the weekend, that's what you are expecting from a wide man who costs you 90 million. Antony doesn't have it in him to beat a man and drive at a defence.

0,12 assists/90

0,34 assists/90
0,72 goals+assists/90

Amad, it's a far more competitive league in terms of the relative quality whereas Ajax at that time completely dominated that league. I also don't like the idea of "non penalty" goals, that's moving the goalposts and a lot of Antony's appearances are where he came on as a sub and scored which largely inflates your ratios.

Watching the highlights of Jeremy Doku from the weekend, that's what you are expecting from a wide man who costs you 90 million. Antony doesn't have it in him to beat a man and drive at a defence.
...and he didnt even cost 90m

No, but those two in particular seemed very random, you could add Dan James to the same category (the only player we've made a few bucks on in a very long time though) 95M is not established star price, it is established megastar price. Not the right price for an "exciting" player with a couple of good seasons in Eredivisie. There was nothing on Antony's CV indicating that he would smash it in the PL or justify the insane pricetag.
He was just another player in that Ajax squad and not at all talismanic in any of the two seasons he was there. He was maybe Ajax' 7th most important player, miles behind the established players like Tadic, Haller, Berghuis and the defensive pack. If one should try out any young attacking midfielders from the Eredivisie based on the 21/22 season you should be looking at Gakpo (42M to Liverpool in January the next window after ripping apart the Eredivisie last fall) and Karlsson (12M to Bologna) who were much better and talismans for their teams. Or maybe look at players like Diaby (50M) or Kvaratskhelia (13M) who were starting to pull up trees at that time as well. Just to mention some names who would make more sense without being 100% safe bets.

I agree with Antony -- at his price, he had to be ready-made. But he is from from that. A few million more we would be in the Bellingham territory!!!

Murtough should have put his foot down earlier in hindsight.

But I guess he had trust in ETH (then) and had to accept his views considering Antony played for ETH for a couple of seasons.

Amad was rated as one of the highest-rated teenagers when we bought him. He has a better first touch and certainly better vision than Antony. This kid just has a wondered touch with the ball.

He has just been very unlucky with injuries -- this long stint out was quite similar to his first full season -- injured for the 1st half of the season and ended up wasting his time at Rangers -- even though his stats were pretty good. But just didnt get the minutes needed in that 4 months there.

This season he gets seriously injured again. Again this hinders his development.

Best ship him for the 2nd half of the season -- preferably back to Sunderland where he will already know the system. Then re-start his senior United career again next season.

Sick of this club buying expensive players that are completely out of their depth physically .

Bruno, Antony, Sancho, Amrabat.

You need impressive athletes with explosive traits along with technique. It's why Scotty Mac gets so many starts. To make up for our weak and slow players.

Top teams don't carry so many weak and slow players like we do.

Not OP's point at all. What he's saying is that we should be investing in players based on their statistical contributions.

It's fine to take a few pot shots on youngsters who pass the eye test but have achieved relatively little on the pitch in the hope they'll improve. However, we can't expect them to make an instant impact.

But our 'first team ready' signings need to backed by evidence that they can do what they've been bought to do.

Doku for City was hardly a cheap signing, but was far from an established star. Yet, his attacking statistics were exceptional. There was never any indication that Antony was going to be a star based on his performances for Ajax. And to spend so much on him was nothing other than incompetent
Some of the posts on here are bizarre. Amad is a young player and played in a challenging division. Anyone can see the potential when you watch him, of course he may not be good enough. Yes we
I guess he had trust in ETH (then) and had to accept his views considering Antony played for ETH for a couple of seasons.
Why should he do that? We have a huge scouting network, and they had already dismissed Antony. His whole job is meant to be ensuring we sign players with genuine promise or will fit the team. They went all in on ETH, because they are inept and should be sacked, but sadly ETH has also shown he cant pick players.

Amad, it's a far more competitive league in terms of the relative quality whereas Ajax at that time completely dominated that league. I also don't like the idea of "non penalty" goals, that's moving the goalposts and a lot of Antony's appearances are where he came on as a sub and scored which largely inflates your ratios.

Not just competitive but physical too, i watched some Sunderland games last season and the treatment he got from some defenders you just wouldnt see in Holland for instance

Sick of this club buying expensive players that are completely out of their depth physically .

Bruno, Antony, Sancho, Amrabat.

You need impressive athletes with explosive traits along with technique. It's why Scotty Mac gets so many starts. To make up for our weak and slow players.

Top teams don't carry so many weak and slow players like we do.
Are you saying Bruno was a bad buy and that he is out of his depth physically? He probably has one of the best engines, if not the best engine in the entire league.
Sancho could probably easily adapt to it if he made the effort, so can probably Amrabat

Status
Not open for further replies.