View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest he is nothing like what I've expected - can't really dribble past opponents, not good at creating chances, not much of an attacking threat on the right or in the final third, and not much of end products etc

But I reckon he still has some other qualities which makes him a viable option on our right - his work rate, his progressive carries in midfield towards final third, his insistence of shooting anywhere, some progressive pass, pressing and being press resistance and all that.

All the players you mentioned know when they need to turn it down. Antony does not. ETH had to sub him multiple times last season because of it. He needs to learn

Are you joking? All those players I mentioned never learned and went over the top throughout their careers.

What a laughable post.

F2IVlY7WoAAw2i0

As a counterpoint to the criticism, this is quite a valuable quality.
Not really convinced this chart tells us much. I think last season he regularly received the ball with space to run into and he was able to carry the ball forward but his odd dribbling technique enabled him to be caught relatively easily and when that happened most of the time he just turned back and played a simple pass. The difference between him and mahrez or grealish is that both of those players can regularly go past defenders.

The fact he rarely did anything with the ball may well have led to defenders leaving him open and offering him the chance to carry the ball further without challenge

Not really convinced this chart tells us much. I think last season he regularly received the ball with space to run into and he was able to carry the ball forward but his odd dribbling technique enabled him to be caught relatively easily and when that happened most of the time he just turned back and played a simple pass. The difference between him and mahrez or grealish is that both of those players can regularly go past defenders.

The fact he rarely did anything with the ball may well have led to defenders leaving him open and offering him the chance to carry the ball further without challenge

The lengths people will go to to discredit anything even slightly positive about players they don’t rate is really quite something.

You think he carries the ball further and more effectively than almost every other wide player in the league because he “regularly received the ball with space to run into”? Why do you think this happened to him much more than all the other players in that graph?!?

As for your final sentence…

Obviously the fact we hugely over paid for him last summer put unrealistic expectations on him, but even so I was very disappointed by his overall game last season. Yes he can cut inside from the right and take a shot, but that seemed to be all he had going for him for the vast majority of games last season.

He needs to drastically improve his game this year, he can’t just be a one trick poney or defenders will easily control him.

Obviously the fact we hugely over paid for him last summer put unrealistic expectations on him, but even so I was very disappointed by his overall game last season. Yes he can cut inside from the right and take a shot, but that seemed to be all he had going for him for the vast majority of games last season.

He needs to drastically improve his game this year, he can’t just be a one trick poney or defenders will easily control him.
Disappointed with his overall game? He's one of our most solid players when the opposition has the ball. He's always in good positions to receive the ball and he's very good at receiving it under pressure.

Disappointing in the final third on the ball yes but that's only a part of his game.

Antony fits into the play style but that play style hasn't come to fruition and isn't even understood or discussed by many.

Bringing this post from Hojlund thread.

I don't see what Antony brings other than ability to keep the ball under pressure.

Maybe you can explain what you think the idea is? Thanks

Classic Antony really. Worked incredibly hard, had moments of real quality but I’d like to see a Manchester Utd winger burying that right footed chance. Wasn’t a particularly difficult one either. He needs to be much more ruthless this season to become a top player.

Disappointed with his overall game? He's one of our most solid players when the opposition has the ball. He's always in good positions to receive the ball and he's very good at receiving it under pressure.

Disappointing in the final third on the ball yes but that's only a part of his game.

I mean you just said it all though, an attackers biggest strengths being "he defends well" and "shows for the ball/keeps it well" isn't promising for an almost club record signing.

Missed an absolute sitter tonight yet again because he's ridiculously one footed.

He misses a lot of sitters like that, he lacks that ruthlessness which is odd given his intensity. Looks Like a street baller sometimes.

Bringing this post from Hojlund thread.

I don't see what Antony brings other than ability to keep the ball under pressure.

Maybe you can explain what you think the idea is? Thanks
He did fine in a preseason game, there's nothing for me to judge him on in a low intensity game where there was a lot of moving parts. These are warm up games and it's about getting fit and sharp for the new season.

I mean you just said it all though, an attackers biggest strengths being "he defends well" and "shows for the ball/keeps it well" isn't promising for an almost club record signing.

Missed an absolute sitter tonight yet again because he's ridiculously one footed.
I don't disagree with that. I just think the wrong words were used in his criticism. His overall game isn't the problem here. He does most of the things on the pitch well which every manager wants to see from their players. We usually have 1 or more players who put in an overall poor performance.

Just take Rashford for example this match. Gets into positions, receives the ball in them but his dribbling and passing and finishing and touch failed him today. Much of which Antony gets shit for. Antony's floor performance is higher, his ceiling isn't as high.

He did fine in a preseason game, there's nothing for me to judge him on in a low intensity game where there was a lot of moving parts. These are warm up games and it's about getting fit and sharp for the new season.

I didn't mean about this game. I was talking in general

Can tell he doesn’t have a right foot with that miss he did.

The number of chances our right sided players stumble upon is quite amazing. Dalot shot was great but that was set up by a simple pass from Donny.

Antony had two chances when the ball was just presented to him (did well to pass the ball into the net on one occasion), and Wan Bissaka also had a good chance from close range. That seems to happen to right side exclusively. This is why I'd prefer to use Sancho and Dalot more, at least in easier games. Wan Bissaka & Antony is overkill defensively but no threat.

The number of chances our right sided players stumble upon is quite amazing. Dalot shot was great but that was set up by a simple pass from Donny.

Antony had two chances when the ball was just presented to him (did well to pass the ball into the net on one occasion), and Wan Bissaka also had a good chance from close range. That seems to happen to right side exclusively. This is why I'd prefer to use Sancho and Dalot more, at least in easier games. Wan Bissaka & Antony is overkill defensively but no threat.

This is why I believe Greenwood & AWB had the perfect balance on the right under Ole season 2. Very attacking player covered by a defensive one.

Let’s see if certain people returns or not.

It has to do with positioning, Antony does a lot of dumb things but has very good tactical understanding of the game. His positioning and runs are top notch, those chances will not be falling to Sancho because he likely won't be there.

Well, the Sancho of the past few seasons. Seems much sharper so far.

It has to do with positioning, Antony does a lot of dumb things but has very good tactical understanding of the game. His positioning and runs are top notch, those chances will not be falling to Sancho because he likely won't be there.

Well, the Sancho of the past few seasons. Seems much sharper so far.
I agree with the bolded part, although I am not sure if there's that much of a difference between him and Sancho. I remember those chances falling to Sancho as well, especially later in the season when he played RW a bit. Same with Bruno. The ball sometimes fall perfectly for a left foot long post shot, but on other occasion it's better to take a touch away and pass it centrally what Jadon does infinitely better than Antony, so it evens out I guess.

This is why I believe Greenwood & AWB had the perfect balance on the right under Ole season 2. Very attacking player covered by a defensive one.

Let’s see if certain people returns or not.
Good catch. Greenwood would be smashing it from that right hand side in current United team. Don't think that's on the cards though, so Sancho-Dalot would be interesting to see more of.

There is something we are not saying here, how can you be a professional footballer and train every blessed day and you are not able to use your other leg to tap in ball. How could Antony miss on that rebound from Rashfords shot. He needs to work on his finishing skills man.

There is something we are not saying here, how can you be a professional footballer and train every blessed day and you are not able to use your other leg to tap in ball. How could Antony miss on that rebound from Rashfords shot. He needs to work on his finishing skills man.

I will never understand how a player can reach the highest level, but only use one foot. It is seriously weird.

He reminds me of Adama Traore. Not in exactly in style but in the sense they past the eye test. They look so good watching them. They have something and certain skills they are brilliant at. But they are just not quite complete. Like a beautiful woman/man you meet then they open their mouth and you realize why they are single. There has been endless debate about Traore. Will he come good. All he needs is to improve his finishing, decision making etc. He gets linked with moves to top clubs. He plays for Barca. He scores a wonder goal and yes this is it. He's brilliant. Told you so. Here he goes!. But he just doesn't have it for the really top level. But people will still argue that he'll come good.

I fear the same for Antony. Many years of the same discussion. But he's brilliant at x all he needs to do is y.

Wasn't exactly a curler, this time.

More like low aimed type, Carrick used to love finishing.

Wasn't exactly a curler, this time.

More like low aimed type, Carrick used to love finishing.
Similar to the Barcelona finish.

He needs to add variety to his shooting, he gets into good shooting positions more than anyone bar possibly Rashford.

Similar to the Barcelona finish.

He needs to add variety to his shooting, he gets into good shooting positions more than anyone bar possibly Rashford.
Yup. In the end, I'm glad he's with the team on this tour. It's his first pre-season, since he didn't really had one year ago.

Getting him and Sancho in any shape to both score & assist could be lifebuoy ring, if we're not after additional options in attack.

I don't disagree with that. I just think the wrong words were used in his criticism. His overall game isn't the problem here. He does most of the things on the pitch well which every manager wants to see from their players. We usually have 1 or more players who put in an overall poor performance.

Just take Rashford for example this match. Gets into positions, receives the ball in them but his dribbling and passing and finishing and touch failed him today. Much of which Antony gets shit for. Antony's floor performance is higher, his ceiling isn't as high.

Oh sure, I rarely criticize him for fecking up basic stuff because he doesn't do it often. He just lacks any sort of decisive threat to his game which is why I'm so harsh on him. You can't have an 80m nailed on starting RW that is poor both in front of goal, and in creating chances for others. It's going to be a dark mark on the team sheet eventually if the rest of the players around him continue improving.

Having a good centre forward will help both Antony and Rashford
The player that will benefit the most is Bruno. Then maybe Rashford if Hojlund proves to be effective at running channels and dragging defenders. Then the rest. Antony will benefit the least of a striker because he plays too far wide from him anyway.

The player that will benefit the most is Bruno. Then maybe Rashford if Hojlund proves to be effective at running channels and dragging defenders. Then the rest. Antony will benefit the least of a striker because he plays too far wide from him anyway.
Antony will have a focal point ( as he did with Haller at Ajax) and will noy be trying to shoot at every opportunity

Last edited:
The lengths people will go to to discredit anything even slightly positive about players they don’t rate is really quite something.

You think he carries the ball further and more effectively than almost every other wide player in the league because he “regularly received the ball with space to run into”? Why do you think this happened to him much more than all the other players in that graph?!?

As for your final sentence…
Well I get bored of erroneously used statistics getting wheeled out all the time. I am not convinced the data points used in the chart demonstrate those players are the most press resistant and even if it did my point is that we still need a lot more end product from him

He's not a natural finisher that's for sure. He'll score some beauties this season but he will also fluff his lines with relatively simple chances that ruthless wide forwards bury. He doesn't strike the ball with power or direction in those situations, it's all a bit tame.

As far as I can see his qualities at the moment are as an outlet to receive the ball and pass it on. He's good at that. He can handle the ball and he can make some progress with it. He also does his fair share of work for the team.

Is that enough on its own? Probably not. Well, definitely not actually. This is Man United, as an attacker more should be demanded. I don't think he's going to ever be a top finisher so realistically what can make progress? I'd say his incisive passing in the final third. No reason whatsoever he can't do that. I think Hojlund will help as he will run into that channel as he won't be afraid to use his left foot from such positions. There weren't many options last year which I think contributed his diabolical creativity. I'm looking for that to improve big time. You can't make him what he's not, he's not a blistering wide man, ETH must have known that and envisaged he would fit into his eventual setup.

Why is he so bad 1v1? For all his trickery and flicks, he can't beat a bloody fullback. This is what frustrates me the most about Anthony. Hell, even nothing players like Almiron and Jared Bowen are capable of beating fullbacks.

Well I get bored of erroneously used statistics getting wheeled out all the time. I am not convinced the data points used in the chart demonstrate those players are the most press resistant and even if it did my point is that we still need a lot more end product from him

How was it erroneously used? It was used to demonstrate one of Antony's qualities, and nothing you proved the data incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.