View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only skill he seems to have is good shooting ability. May be worth a try as False 9 so that he can be in center and have more chances of hitting the goal?

Its not that good tbh. Every game he keeps on missing chances and usually doesn't even hit the target. The worst part is that because of a few long rangers that he's scored, he believes that he has the license to waste a couple of long rangers in every game.

Is it absolutely unimaginable to try Antony on the left? Notwithstanding the current players we have in that position, it can get him to play more direct and actually create something (Rashford can do a job on the right, though barely). Worth a try. For the team's collective good in the long term, it will justify us bringing in a new right winger.
I have also wondered why we dont try him on the left. But its ETH system issues. He likes inverted wingers, so they can cut inside and attack the half spaces and inswing crosses to the back post. The fullbacks are supposed to provide the width and outswinging crosses. By keeping your fullbacks wide you stretch the opposition defence and open up the halfspaces for your wingers/wide foewards to attack.

However the system on the right flank is broken as we dont have the right profile of attacking right back to dovetail with antony.

Its not that good tbh. Every game he keeps on missing chances and usually doesn't even hit the target. The worst part is that because of a few long rangers that he's scored, he believes that he has the license to waste a couple of long rangers in every game.

Yeah it's not great, he scored 4 goals from an XG of 6.6 in the league last season, and you consider one of those was a long range worldie vs. City, it'll be more like 3 from 6.5...

Same thing in the Europa - 2 goals from an XG of 2, except the two goals he scored (Barca & Betis) were again both worldies and really low percentage chances.

So basically he's more likely to miss very normal chances, then score a worldie every so often to get his goal tally on track.

Case in point, he had that scoring run of scoring in his first 3 games, and then after that he's only scored either completely open goals (2) or from outside the box (2). He's not convereted a "regular" chance.

Yeah it's not great, he scored 4 goals from an XG of 6.6 in the league last season, and you consider one of those was a long range worldie vs. City, it'll be more like 3 from 6.5...

Same thing in the Europa - 2 goals from an XG of 2, except the two goals he scored (Barca & Betis) were again both worldies and really low percentage chances.

So basically he's more likely to miss very normal chances, then score a worldie every so often to get his goal tally on track.

Case in point, he had that scoring run of scoring in his first 3 games, and then after that he's only scored either completely open goals (2) or from outside the box (2). He's not convereted a "regular" chance.

He probably accumulates a some of that XG with his stupid shots though. He averaged about 3.5 shots per 90 mins. He averages 0.31 XG per 90 minutes. So each of his shots is about 0.08XG.

Rashford on the other hand shoots about 3.7 shots per 90, and averages about 0.59 XG per 90. So on average a shot is about 0.16 XG.

Before anyone kills me for it, I understand using the mean is probably the wrong average to use. Median XG per shot is probably a much better metric, but isn't available.

He probably accumulates a some of that XG with his stupid shots though. He averaged about 3.5 shots per 90 mins. He averages 0.31 XG per 90 minutes. So each of his shots is about 0.08XG.

Rashford on the other hand shoots about 3.7 shots per 90, and averages about 0.59 XG per 90. So on average a shot is about 0
0.16 XG.

Before anyone kills me for it, I understand using the mean is probably the wrong average to use. Median XG per shot is probably a much better metric, but isn't available.

Interesting... It's pretty ridiculous that Anthony is shooting almost as much as Rashford!

Would go back to his poor decision making/lack of an actual brain I guess.

Interesting... It's pretty ridiculous that Anthony is shooting almost as much as Rashford!

Would go back to his poor decision making/lack of an actual brain I guess.

Here's another ridiculous one - he takes more shots per 90 than Mo Salah.

I have also wondered why we dont try him on the left. But its ETH system issues. He likes inverted wingers, so they can cut inside and attack the half spaces and inswing crosses to the back post. The fullbacks are supposed to provide the width and outswinging crosses. By keeping your fullbacks wide you stretch the opposition defence and open up the halfspaces for your wingers/wide foewards to attack.

However the system on the right flank is broken as we dont have the right profile of attacking right back to dovetail with antony.
Dalot manages it when he plays. Don't know if he's not fit or whatever but I can't see why ETH is preferring AWB at the moment. Can anyone remember watching Antony at Ajax? Much like Sancho, he looks an entirely different player in a Red shirt nowadays. Lost all confidence it seems.

Dalot manages it when he plays. Don't know if he's not fit or whatever but I can't see why ETH is preferring AWB at the moment. Can anyone remember watching Antony at Ajax? Much like Sancho, he looks an entirely different player in a Red shirt nowadays. Lost all confidence it seems.

I remember watching one of the most underwhelming highlight real of a winger, we'd ever been linked to.

Bad enough to kill the e-boner of any transfer Muppet.

I'd argue that isn't true at all. Do you watch Antony highlights and think we actually got a different player? I do not.

The only skill he seems to have is good shooting ability. May be worth a try as False 9 so that he can be in center and have more chances of hitting the goal?
That’s worrying as I would argue his shooting ability is quite poor. He doesn’t even have the technique to lace the ball. Nearly all his shots are curlers with little venom. When you compare his shooting technique with MG, it’s completely different levels.

His shooting is poor. He's only got one shot in his repertoire and it's not even a great shot.

He can't shoot near post, he can't drill a low shot, he can't hit through it with his laces. That's what all the great shooters can do.

If he’s central he could take one touch and shoot. If martial can’t start I would start him down the center. Call me crazy but we are desperate.

I would prefer him up the center than on the left considering Marcus and garnacho are there. He can move into space and get a shot off, a lot of players just hit a bunch of shins instead. If he’s higher up and closer to goal I feel like he could get a better shot off. Plus he annoys the crap out of players and could see him gaining us a penalty if he has the ball in the box.

His shooting is poor. He's only got one shot in his repertoire and it's not even a great shot.

He can't shoot near post, he can't drill a low shot, he can't hit through it with his laces. That's what all the great shooters can do.

I'm no fan but I've noticed when he's not cutting in from the right he actually can shoot with variety and some serious power.

But something happens to him when cutting in. He's only got one setting in that scenario.

I'm no fan but I've noticed when he's not cutting in from the right he actually can shoot with variety and some serious power.

But something happens to him when cutting in. He's only got one setting in that scenario.
I’ve never seen him do this. He only ever shoots when he cuts in.

Was reading some of the posts just for fun from last season when he became our player. Some of the descriptions of him by some posters. Bloody hell.:lol:

Antony in a nutshell.

That second video is perfect. Loses the ball cheaply, does fantastically well to win it back quickly, then loses it again.

He reminds me of a Pokémon you encounter very early on. Has a very limited moveset, doesn't really do an awful lot, and is pretty easy to despatch.

He is quite limited in terms of flair and has average pace. There isnt one redeeming quality that he has shown to justify 80m price tag. Needs to turn it around and quick.

ETH’s downfall will be his signings. Most of his players are clearly his signings and Antony will be the one that seals his fate. He’s garbage. A few half decent performances but largely very poor. He’s so annoying to watch and horrendously dislikable - even as a United fan.
We are a shower of shite foe paying what we did for this clown.

Was reading some of the posts just for fun from last season when he became our player. Some of the descriptions of him by some posters. Bloody hell.:lol:

I'd love to see some examples of those descriptions. I didn't know what to make of Antony at first but I had high hopes. But now, my hopes are fading fast.

ETH’s downfall will be his signings. Most of his players are clearly his signings and Antony will be the one that seals his fate. He’s garbage. A few half decent performances but largely very poor. He’s so annoying to watch and horrendously dislikable - even as a United fan.

Agreed, said something similar the other day. ETH's undoing is going to be poor recruitment, which is not only his fault(director of football, scouts...).

Antony is the main symbol of that. What the heck did ETH smoke when he thought that Antony is good enough to play in the PL, I have no idea.

Might be an unpopular thought. Maybe try him down the left on his natural side. Almost forces him to get the the byline and look to provide assists rather than the predictable cut in and shoot. With our fullbacks inverting more often it would be nice for our wingers to get on the outside from time to time.

I'd love to see some examples of those descriptions. I didn't know what to make of Antony at first but I had high hopes. But now, my hopes are fading fast.
Thread is locked so can’t quote I think. But just to mention a few, predicting him to be world class by 24, potential balon d’or, owning the league and was compared with Robben, Nani and even Beckham for some reason and that’s just scratching the surface.

He probably has the lowest "vision" in the entire starting XI and that's disastrous for a winger. Several times he'll have a few people open and he'll still manage to pick the wrong option every single time. Even when he sees the pass he lacks the ability/confidence to execute it. He's a huge part of why we are so "blunt" uptop, he does nothing with the ball.

His career path is Sao Paulo-Ajax-Man Utd. Imo he's gotten to this level way too quickly, he was probably an interesting player that Ajax got for cheap, it's what they do. He succeeds good, he doesn't they get rid. We just had to go in and pay a fee that Mo Salah would've gone for, to get a guy who doesn't even have half the ability. What did they see in him? This club manages to find novel ways to shock you over the years as a fan, and believe me there's more of this coming right up as long as the current clowns stay in charge. Honestly I'd play Dalot as a RW over this guy, he's that bad.

Agreed, said something similar the other day. ETH's undoing is going to be poor recruitment, which is not only his fault(director of football, scouts...).

Antony is the main symbol of that. What the heck did ETH smoke when he thought that Antony is good enough to play in the PL, I have no idea.
He was in Amsterdam for a few years!

He probably has the lowest "vision" in the entire starting XI and that's disastrous for a winger. Several times he'll have a few people open and he'll still manage to pick the wrong option every single time. Even when he sees the pass he lacks the ability/confidence to execute it. He's a huge part of why we are so "blunt" uptop, he does nothing with the ball.

His career path is Sao Paulo-Ajax-Man Utd. Imo he's gotten to this level way too quickly, he was probably an interesting player that Ajax got for cheap, it's what they do. He succeeds good, he doesn't they get rid. We just had to go in and pay a fee that Mo Salah would've gone for, to get a guy who doesn't even have half the ability. What did they see in him? This club manages to find novel ways to shock you over the years as a fan, and believe me there's more of this coming right up as long as the current clowns stay in charge. Honestly I'd play Dalot as a RW over this guy, he's that bad.
In fairness, he’s still probably the best option we have on the right.
and when we bought him we desperately needed a right winger.

Antony can still come good if he stops thinking he is one cool Brazilian and he is the only footballer who has made it to the riches after being poor.

His ego is just too much and not equivalent to his talent.

So disappointed with him. Thought we have solved the right wing issue plaguing us since Ronaldo left. Do not have aa proper right winger since Ronaldo, do not have a proper left winger since Giggs, do not have a proper playmaker since Scholes and Carrick. What a disappointment.

Here's another ridiculous one - he takes more shots per 90 than Mo Salah.

I got hammered for saying Amad was already better than him before the season (and many cited Antony's "okay" G/A tally), but Jesus give Amad that many shots a game and I guarantee he's scoring more than Antony.

It can't be overstated how difficult it is to win games consistently when your front 3 constantly screw up the execution/decision making in the final third. That high press system only works when you are actually punishing teams for the mistakes you force.

I wouldn't start Antony again until he's cleaned up his one trick pony act.
It's beyond annoying that Mainoo and Amad got injured before the season started. Two extremely promising youngsters in two positions that were possible to break through in early season.

I swear it feels like his cutting inside and shooting routine was much better when he first started. Now he can't even hit the target let alone trouble the keeper.

He's not as bad as people are saying but he's in terrible form. Like most of our players for some reason. Shit pre-season?

I think playing him on the left while Rashford is central will force better habits out of him as that cut in and shoot is so second nature to him currently.

What in the feck was he thinking with the Antony signing. It kind of feels unforgivable given he had seen him up close. It just feels so obvious he didn't have the potential to even come close to being a 80m forward

Status
Not open for further replies.