View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's suffering from lack of a physical presence up front as our wide players are clearly looking for that 9 but we can't absolve him from his decision making which I am hoping improves.

Defensive contribution is unquestioned and he's not being particularly challenged on the right side for competition but I am hoping he has a good season, think he really needs it!

He wasn't anything special last night, but he was our least-bad attacking player that started. He offered so much more off the ball than Rashford and Garnacho, but was sloppy on it.

Showed flashes of what he can do and worked hard as always.

Bet he can't wait for Rasmus to be in the team !!! Think it will make a huge difference to him.

Liked that he went on the outside a couple of times last night which is progress.

All in all, just trying to write off the Wolves game as a shocker for the whole team...... We need to be MUCH better against Spurs or it could get ugly.

Never a EUR100M player so if fans insist on judging him on that benchmark then he's always going to fail.

My benchmark for him is 26 years old, EUR65M Raphinha at Barca and in comparison Antony has been decent enough for us. He still has a ton to improve on but I'm already seeing an improved player from last season. I can only hope he continues that trajectory and match Raphinha's level in a year or 2.

I just don't see it with him. Would be nice if he had a run of games where he showed us he can get to a world class level. All he is showing is that he works hard to track back. Can curl a shot into the left corner, and do a 360 while standing on one foot. If we have overpaid by 40 million and this was all we were going to get, then we have been absolutely rinsed by Ajax. He has a lot to prove and still has time. I wouldn't be saying he won't produce just yet. It's just the signs don't look too promising to me right now.

On many occasion it was him, AWB and then Bruno or Rashford in the same 3x3 box, why? Rashford was just bullied by their Center Backs to move from the central position and that left no room for either of our wide players for any occasion.

I think Rashford's movement too far from the middle hindred him and Garnacho/Sancho a lot.

They all have to be better next time.

He wasn't anything special last night, but he was our least-bad attacking player that started. He offered so much more off the ball than Rashford and Garnacho, but was sloppy on it.

Yeah, the pick of a bad bunch. Let himself down with a couple of poor decisions but looked by far the most likely to create or score a goal and, as always, gave great support to his fullback in defence.

Rashford and Garnacho were just awful, in and out of possession. Actually, Garnacho did make a few tackles tbf.

Feels like he's not progressing at all, another player who acts without thinking.

There was a good moment last night when Pellestri ran into the box and Bruno almost got a ball through to him, didn't see Antony try that even once, far too static.

If that's all he's good for, still a complete waste of money.

It's wrong though as he doesn't even put balls into dangerous areas that often.
That’s my point he’s had nobody to aim for for last season and now Rashford doesn’t show up. Can’t wait for Hojlund to settle because I think it’s going to make a positive difference for the wingers

Yeah, the pick of a bad bunch. Let himself down with a couple of poor decisions but looked by far the most likely to create or score a goal and, as always, gave great support to his fullback in defence.

Rashford and Garnacho were just awful, in and out of possession. Actually, Garnacho did make a few tackles tbf.

Rashford just doesnt work as a CF. Sancho as a false nine would have been better. Antony worked hard but I have a hard time thinking of a single correct decisions for his final balls. He really needs to work on his football intelligence because right now its severely lacking and its hurting us.
I have a feeling having Rasmus to play of will help him though.

This is the issue though. Antony probably played at a level that was closer to his average performance than Rashford and Garnacho did.

Those two were terrible but it only exposed how little Antony actually offers when those around him don't do much.

I keep saying it but it's no coincidence we have a blunt attack when he is one of the mainstays in the front 3. Blaming the striker is an easy excuse but he is just as much of a problem.
That’s my point he’s had nobody to aim for for last season and now Rashford doesn’t show up. Can’t wait for Hojlund to settle because I think it’s going to make a positive difference for the wingers
See I don't buy this. There was a moment in the second half where we took a quick corner with him and Bruno, and the back post had Casemiro Rashford pretty open and he attempted a cross so bad that it looked like a shot. It was just an awful attempt at a delivery and this is all too common with Antony.

Having a No.9 in there won't improve his accuracy or the pace on his crosses. I'd get the point if he was putting crosses in good areas or ccreating chances that people miss but he does neither so why would it change with a proper striker in the team.

This is the issue though. Antony probably played at a level that was closer to his average performance than Rashford and Garnacho did.

Those two were terrible but it only exposed how little Antony actually offers when those around him don't do much.

I keep saying it but it's no coincidence we have a blunt attack when he is one of the mainstays in the front 3. Blaming the striker is an easy excuse but he is just as much of a problem.

See I don't buy this. There was a moment in the second half where we took a quick corner with him and Bruno, and the back post had Casemiro Rashford pretty open and he attempted a cross so bad that it looked like a shot. It was just an awful attempt at a delivery and this is all too common with Antony.

Having a No.9 in there won't improve his accuracy or the pace on his crosses. I'd get the point if he was putting crosses in good areas or ccreating chances that people miss but he does neither so why would it change with a proper striker in the team.

Antony is just not a creator at this moment. He doesn't do it with his crosses and he also had opportunities on the counter to create and still failed. The striker argument is an easy way to excuse for him. His passing and crossing have never been shown to be dangerous to the opponents. I also made the argument too that he is part of the reason we don't score so much.

He at least tried to do more than usual,eg use his right foot and cross. However he just doesn't scream a united winger to me.

He will score some bangers into that top corner, but there's a difference when gets the ball Vs garnacho. Or in the past the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo, kanchelskis, Sharpe etc.

He does seem to bring more balance to us on that right side but we defo need more than that.
Reckon if he wasn't a ETh signing (big signing as well) most would want him replaced probably next season window or two

If Sancho was any good on a consistent basis, he'd be our first choice RW by now. Ability wise, he's miles better than Antony

I see we've reached the "he needs better players around him to unlock him" stage of cope

I see we've reached the "he needs better players around him to unlock him" stage of cope

Pogba, Sancho, VDB etc what an illustrious list he joins.

Course what it really means is he needs better players around him to carry his inadequacies, even if he had willing runners and a striker in the box he would still be useless at getting the ball to them that's the thing with Pogba, Sancho etc their creativity wasn't in dispute it was their physical attributes.

I’m not a fan at all, but I think he was the best of a terrible bunch yesterday.

I don't think that's accurate, well at least not with regards to Garnacho (Rashford has shown quality far beyond either last season) - as a starter Garnacho hasn't really had any standout games, he's only really impressed as an impact sub, when he can run at tired defenders.

You make a good point about him not offering much by himself, he isn't an explosive Nani type that would beat multiple players, he definitely needs players around him to make the most of his skillset.

We can only hope that he's one of those players who transforms into a world beater later in his career. Salah, De Bruyne, Drogba etc. Weren't elite at 23 or even nailed on to make it at the highest level

After this summer £80 million is nothing tbh. We can all forget about the price.

How about Antony putting a ball into the box with this right foot last night! :eek: it was a very strange game all round.

Pogba, Sancho, VDB etc what an illustrious list he joins.

Course what it really means is he needs better players around him to carry his inadequacies, even if he had willing runners and a striker in the box he would still be useless at getting the ball to them that's the thing with Pogba, Sancho etc their creativity wasn't in dispute it was their physical attributes.

Yep. At least Pogba and Sancho had shown world class levels before. Antony never has, and I had to fight the brigade for saying I think Amad is better just because he played one good season in the championship. Sadly he's hurt now, but my sentiment still hasn't changed as I don't think Amad is nearly as wasteful in the positions Antony always seems to find himself in. And like I said yesterday, I didn't even think Antony was poor. He just doesn't have any sort of quality in the final 3rd.

The question is how long until Erik realizes he fecked us and looks to move on/make a change?

He is going to score 15 goals this season and still be a massively irritating player.

I get Depay vibes from him. Will score the occasional belter and have a good game but mostly wasteful and a passenger in most games. I doubt hell make it here or the PL and will find himself in Brazil before hes 30

If we talk about yesterday's game in particular, the only time we looked remotely threatening was when we attacked down our right hand side. Which was a major problem as we only did it for two brief periods, towards the end of the first half and the period where we scored. The heatmaps showed just how skewed we were towards the left wing where Garnacho was abysmal and Rashford wasn't interested. It's hard to create chances when two of your front three are absolutely diabolical. Now, I'm not saying Antony was perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I find all of this criticism strange when he was the least of our problems offensively yesterday. In fact, he was tied with Bruno and Wan Bissaka for chances created.

After this summer £80 million is nothing tbh. We can all forget about the price.

How about Antony putting a ball into the box with this right foot last night! :eek: it was a very strange game all round.
I actually thought he was alright last night and was shocked at that right foot crosser. He even tried another later on which was blocked. That’s probably more right foot attempts already than the whole of last season.

He did have some why aren’t you passing moments mind. There was one where Mount was calling for the ball to be rolled back to him on the 18 yarder as there was acres of space and an easy pass to make and he ignored him completely.

Seems to be an issue that has dogged our team for ages now. Never seem to make the right pass or pick the right option when its there for a finish. Always do something stupid like try to go solo or just ping one off the 3 defenders blocking your path to goal other than passing to the free man.

He doesn't have a right foot. So unless Tan Hag shifts Antony to LW, he won't be capable of crossing it to anyone.

The first one's a bit jammy, but it's not like he can't do it. The bigger concern might be that Hojlund has a little bit of Weghorst syndrome, where he just isn't as good in the air as he looks like he should be.

Either way, Hojlund's movement in the box should help us a lot when the ball is out wide.

The first one's a bit jammy, but it's not like he can't do it. The bigger concern might be that Hojlund has a little bit of Weghorst syndrome, where he just isn't as good in the air as he looks like he should be.

Either way, Hojlund's movement in the box should help us a lot when the ball is out wide.

We're entering some weird territory with those comments. Probably about time to remind there are other ways to create from wing than crossing to striker that makes the perfect run between defenders.
Antony just needs to do what he did vs Lens but in serious games. I don't think that's an impossible task.

Bad. Very bad. I wouldn't be surprised at all, should either Sancho or Pellistri get the nod ahead of him for the Spurs game. And it's not that he wasn't able to force the issue, no one seemed able to do that tonight. But going to press alone when the rest of the team is in defensive transition, not able to keep the ball in the build-up, coming inside when he should be making himself available for the switch-ball and staying wide when he should be occupying more central positions... Completely out of synch.

I would be extremely surprised. Shocked, even. Jaw would be on the floor, etc etc

ETH either loves him and appreciates his work rate etc, or he feels like he has to keep playing him due to the insane fee.

Olise for £35m, Antony for £85m. Make it make sense.

Hes just way too predictable and has been since about his 3rd week with us when everyone watched film on him. Gets ball, cuts inside EVERY time, looks to shoot on his left foot. ONLY uses his left foot. Very easy to set up a defence against unless he has a marauding right back threatening an overlap - but he doesnt even wait for it to develop he just runs inside as soon as he gets it every time, not that Wan-Bissaka is going to get ahead of him very often or be a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.