View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will definitely end up as an even worse signing than Maguire on this trajectory, at least Ole's team had the excuse that they didn't work with him before. Other than underestimating the league one has to wonder what actually made ETH push for him so hard.

Obviously will never happen but would be interested to see what he would be like at RB (if anything just to take him out of the attack), got the workrate for it if not the end product.

Will definitely end up as an even worse signing than Maguire on this trajectory, at least Ole's team had the excuse that they didn't work with him before. Other than underestimating the league one has to wonder what actually made ETH push for him so hard.

Obviously will never happen but would be interested to see what he would be like at RB (if anything just to take him out of the attack), got the workrate for it if not the end product.

Surely you don't believe he will be a worse signing than Maguire. You can clearly see his ability, it's just the final part that is lacking.

Surely you don't believe he will be a worse signing than Maguire. You can clearly see his ability, it's just the final part that is lacking.

I mean he has some ability.

But he doesn't have that much ability.

And ability is part of the final passage too. You can't just ignore it when he's consistently making poor decisions or waffling with a cross/shot.

This season is huge for him. If he can’t show that he can be a creative force who actually has a passing range then it’ll be hard to justify his place.

There was this moment today where he went on the outside and created space for a cross which Wolves defended well. Such a simple piece of skill but it allowed him to put a ball in. Things like that should be easy for him as he’s got the ball control, low centre of gravity and enough pace.

I cannot wait for the imminent announcement and then this joker will just be a bad memory

I want to see how long is his average pass? I bet it's not longer than 2m and that most of his passes are backward passes or just "leave it to the other player" passes once he's slowed down the game and left it to one of our players who took it from him because he is not able to dribble past opponents.

Also he is league 1 level when it comes to shooting and decision making inside the box, anyone dwnying that is obviously blind.

Last edited:
I don’t see anything that would suggest he’s going to get better
Hes the least threatening winger I’ve ever seen

Can you clearly see his ability? Where? He works hard but beyond that I'm struggling to see anything above average about him. He's not the quickest, has very little variety to his game which makes him predictable to defend against, he's not very creative with the ball and is only a reasonable (if unadventurous) passer. The thing he was particularly hyped about when we bought him - his dribbling - seems pretty average too.

I think if a certain someone who we’re not allowed to talk about on this forum is brought back into the fold, he might just displace Antony from the starting 11.

Very very quickly.

But Antony does have incredible work rate and adds defensively.

There is a quality player there I feel. Needs more composure in the final third. And competition for his place.

I mean he has some ability.

But he doesn't have that much ability.

And ability is part of the final passage too. You can't just ignore it when he's consistently making poor decisions or waffling with a cross/shot.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I'm not saying their abilities are close or that Antony is any where near, but Vinicius Junior also showed initial lack of ability in the final passage, but eventually it clicked for him and his finishing among decision making improved drastically.

The thing with Antony is that he always keeps his head up and is quite dangerous in the sense that there's something happening with him just outside the box, he makes some decent runs and holds the width.
It really is the final passage that is lacking. Maybe it clicks for him, maybe it doesn't, but his ability is clear and there is a reason he is a Brazilian international and debut at 21.

Hopefully he kicks on this season and improves his decision making and finishing.

Fans are proven yet again that they know better than the manager. Ten Hag should be stopped at doing recruitment, as he genuinely may make long term damage to the team. I hope he doesn’t stay for 5 years like United normally allow.

I don't get what this special defensive ability that he has that everyone keeps going on about. Is it actually true? He runs a bit true but not exceptionally. Maybe more than our other wingers but is it any different to other wingers like Saka for example? Does he tackle more? Press more? Is there any stats to back this up or is it just what everyone keeps repeating. And I'm talking what makes him perceived as great at it. Not good.

Some truly shocking takes in here after that game.

Loved the one time he dribbled and accelerated away from his defender with 20 yards of open space ahead of him, only to turn back and be tackled by their defender still lying on the ground. Brilliant stuff. Not sure he was our worst player yesterday - Garnacho and Rashford were pretty gash as well, but wow that was absolutely garbage. Terrible decisions with loads of space. Underhitting passes. Off the pace, no creativity. He overthinks his game, and that may only get worse unless he really gets going, miraculously so.

Fans are proven yet again that they know better than the manager. Ten Hag should be stopped at doing recruitment, as he genuinely may make long term damage to the team. I hope he doesn’t stay for 5 years like United normally allow.

Are you being serious, mate? Do you think Redcafe should do the recruiting at United?

He has abilities which current manager rates highly (same as it was with Harry and Ole). If Erik resignes/gets fired/goes somewhere else, he would become our new Maguire. I don't think that some other manager would be happy with ineffective winger.

Ah ok maybe some lower leagues are worse maybe
He’s awful

The only thing you're doing here is demonstrating your little football knowledge. He is far better than many PL wingers. Not the best ones, obviously, but there are plenty of average wingers in the league. Just because you're upset with his output and performances does not mean you would rather have Tom Cairney playing right winger instead of Antony.

I don't get what this special defensive ability that he has that everyone keeps going on about. Is it actually true? He runs a bit true but not exceptionally. Maybe more than our other wingers but is it any different to other wingers like Saka for example? Does he tackle more? Press more? Is there any stats to back this up or is it just what everyone keeps repeating. And I'm talking what makes him perceived as great at it. Not good.

I think he tracks back well, that's it. His pressing and tacking are ineffective most of the time.

He wasn't worth more than €40m. I'm being generous to him here because someone like Olise is available for the same and he's better while being younger.

Unfortunaltely he's only playing when he has the ball.

Off the ball he propose few things, few runs and his game is always the same.

The only thing you're doing here is demonstrating your little football knowledge. He is far better than many PL wingers. Not the best ones, obviously, but there are plenty of average wingers in the league. Just because you're upset with his output and performances does not mean you would rather have Tom Cairney playing right winger instead of Antony.
Tom Cairney did not cost 90mn also if we go by pure stats Cairney scored a goal every 485 mins in PL last season vs Antony who scored 1 every 455. Not exactly a great comparison for Antony.

He needs to make better decisions. His final ball is the wrong one 9 times out of 10 which simply isn't good enough.
His workrate and intensity is fantastic but he lacks footballing brains.

He will for sure gather a nice highlight reel towards the end of this season. But overall, we could have just trusted the development of Amad and Pellistri and saved us the money there..
Not sure they have less talent than this guy?

Tom Cairney did not cost 90mn also if we go by pure stats Cairney scored a goal every 485 mins in PL last season vs Antony who scored 1 every 455. Not exactly a great comparison for Antony.

If we're going to go by goals, then Antony is twice the player as Olise, which you can see is wrong.

How is the price of Tom Cairney relevant? The poster said Antony is the least threatening winger he's ever seen. He didn't say the least threatening €90m winger he's ever seen. If you think there is any PL club that would choose Tom Cairney over Antony if they were on the same wages, you're insane.

He does not threaten the opposition with his style of play or decision making
He’ll hold us back pretending otherwise

If we're going to go by goals, then Antony is twice the player as Olise, which you can see is wrong.

How is the price of Tom Cairney relevant? The poster said Antony is the least threatening winger he's ever seen. He didn't say the least threatening €90m winger he's ever seen. If you think there is any PL club that would choose Tom Cairney over Antony if they were on the same wages, you're insane.

The poster definitely didn't meant it as in comparison to all pl wingers just vs other top wingers in similar position you decided to take it literally yet now when I do the same with Cairney somehow they are on same wages not a fair comparison. Cairney is unlikely to be on even quarter the wages Antony is on and again Olise didn't cost 90mn either.

Antony has been a rubbish signing, we could have had someone like caicedo instead of him and let pellistri and amad compete for antony's position we would be in a much better place as a team and no amount of Tom cairney or Jordan ayew or whoever comparisons are going to change that

He does not threaten the opposition with his style of play or decision making
He’ll hold us back pretending otherwise

Out of curiousity, which right winger would you go for right now if you could choose? Realistically, of course.

The poster definitely didn't meant it as in comparison to all pl wingers just vs other top 6 wingers in similar position you decided to take it literally yet now when I do the same with Cairney somehow they are on same wages not a fair comparison. Cairney is unlikely to be on even quarter the wages Antony is on and again Olise didn't cost 90mn either.

Antony has been a rubbish signing, we could have had someone like caicedo instead of him and let pellistri and amad compete for antony's position we would be in a much better place as a team.

Oh, he's not as good as the right wingers from the top 6 that includes Salah, Saka and Mahrez (last season). Well, what right winger from the other leagues are? Who'd you go for, if you could choose?

He has abilities which current manager rates highly (same as it was with Harry and Ole). If Erik resignes/gets fired/goes somewhere else, he would become our new Maguire. I don't think that some other manager would be happy with ineffective winger.

Maguire has become a world wide meme - a player who you can make a 10 minute compilation of clownery that includes holding back his own players, mispassing the ball over the line for a corner instead of to his keeper, several comical own goals and countless moments of horrible defending. He has zero fight or intensity in him. It barely looks like he wants to win.

No matter what Antony does, he'll never be Maguire.

At first I thought he looked sharp last night, but as the game went on he just reverted to being absolutely brainless. Worrying signs once again.

I think if a certain someone who we’re not allowed to talk about on this forum is brought back into the fold, he might just displace Antony from the starting 11.

Very very quickly.

But Antony does have incredible work rate and adds defensively.

There is a quality player there I feel. Needs more composure in the final third. And competition for his place.

But maybe his high workrate is a hindrance to his decision making and end product. If he's exhausted when he's taking on defenders, or trying to deliver the final ball to a teammate, his instinct and vision may be somewhat affected.

I think the same can be said about Bruno at times.

I wonder whether their end product and decision making would improve if they worked on balancing their use of energy throughout the match. Obviously it's also up to the way the team is set up in terms of pressing tactics and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.