2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
While he hasn't been as good on the ball as I expected, it doesn't help that all our attacking players are terrible at winning any long balls up to them. Maybe Zirkzee will change that, although despite his size I don't think he's the type to really hold off a defender and bring down balls. Alternatively maybe Hojlund will develop that ability as he matures; he has had the odd game here and there that he's done it well.

It really gets me when he wait for the press before he passes. I understand he is trying to invite the press and does it mostly because manager asks to do but I don't like it.

While he hasn't been as good on the ball as I expected, it doesn't help that all our attacking players are terrible at winning any long balls up to them. Maybe Zirkzee will change that, although despite his size I don't think he's the type to really hold off a defender and bring down balls. Alternatively maybe Hojlund will develop that ability as he matures; he has had the odd game here and there that he's done it well.

His long balls are often very good. But, weirdly, Dalot seemed to be the player to benefit from them most often last season.

His mid range passing - pings to the flanks inside our half - seems to be quite poor. It was very bad last night. I’m much happier with him when he keeps his passes on the deck or launches them to the far channels. Everything in between seems to work out badly.

He seemed to have a thing for kicking it out of play on Friday. Actually screws up easy little diagonals quite often. Needs to vastly improve his passing.

Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
Initiates the opposition press 100% of the time by taking 45 years on the ball, he doesn't need to slow the game down every time the ball comes to him. It's beyond infuriating.

I can’t think of any big saves he had to make, and certainly nothing he could do for either goal. But it’s worth noting that his passing was first class today. Created multiple chances himself with his passing.

I can’t think of any big saves he had to make, and certainly nothing he could do for either goal. But it’s worth noting that his passing was first class today. Created multiple chances himself with his passing.

Some quality passes through the lines into midfield, we need to see more of those. Long passing still a bit hit and miss though.

He had one of two really good long balls towards Dalot (?) today.

Initiates the opposition press 100% of the time by taking 45 years on the ball, he doesn't need to slow the game down every time the ball comes to him. It's beyond infuriating.

I think that is the idea. Lure opponents in and play through them.

Really? His balls over the top were effective but his passing in his own half is so shaky.

He doesn't pass the ball cleanly at all especially when he's kicking it out to his full backs. The type of balls he plays, have the wrong weight on them and invites so much pressure in your own half.

He had one of two really good long balls towards Dalot (?) today.

I think that is the idea. Lure opponents in and play through them.
We don't play through them which is the problem, it just invites pressure that we can't handle, especially late on in the game.

He’s got Joe Hart’s knack of standing like a lemon while a ball trickles past him

He wasnt at fault for either of the goals today and did ok when called upon, some of his distribution was good today with some really good long balls to Dalot and Amad.

you do realise that part of building out from the back is creating space by drawing the press on?

Overall pretty decent today, but on the match winning goal seeing that the Brighton forward was on with a free header Onana could have made the instant, risky, decision to go for the ball. Maybe not, but he was helpless as the play unfolded and he could see the free header coming.

But the goal is not on him, nor the first goal. His passing was good, though he still takes too long to make his passes.

That's literally the intention. He actively wants the opposition to press him as that opens up space in other positions. I do agree he over-does it a bit though.

A lot of the time he takes to long on the ball it is because none of his outfield players ever get in the positions he wants them in so he can play a quick ball.

I mean this is exactly what he's trying to do. Gives defenders extra time on the ball.

No real criticisms from me, was it his fault there was no one marking the edge of the area for their winner? If that's me in goal i am ScReAMiNg to the defenders or anyone to mark the three at the far post, but maybe i am being too harsh. It's not all on hi. Good start to the season i think really, as weird as that may sound.

As a keep he should have seen the danger at the far post and either attack the cross as it was so obvious there’s a high chance it’s going back post OR shout to your players who all were ball watching (including Onana) to mark the players at the far post. Just stood there ball watching. He ain’t good enough for us moving forward.

Maybe unfair, but I just can't be doing with the amount of time he seems to take to make a decsion on where he wants to pass the ball when he has it under no pressue.

As a keep he should have seen the danger at the far post and either attack the cross as it was so obvious there’s a high chance it’s going back post OR shout to your players who all were ball watching (including Onana) to mark the players at the far post. Just stood there ball watching. He ain’t good enough for us moving forward.

You put any blame on him for the 2nd goal, it wasnt his fault Martinez went way out of position and left the area he was supposed to be defending in completely unguarded resulting in De Ligt having to try to defend against the Brighton defence on his own.

It's deserved. He has a tendency to gravitate towards the near post rather than taking a center angle to narrow the goal. Like he traded the ability to come off his line for the ability to do the bare minimum shielding it. He will always be prone to placed finishes while looking like a god stopping power shots
Too lazy to retype so I'm just going to quote this every week it happens and it will happen

You put any blame on him for the 2nd goal, it wasnt his fault Martinez went way out of position and left the area he was supposed to be defending in completely unguarded resulting in De Ligt having to try to defend against the Brighton defence on his own.

There were 4 Brighton players in a line- it’s not just Martinez’s fault. Who was tracking the Brighton full back and midfield?

So frustrating, not at fault for the goals but the massive difference he was supposed to bring with his feet etc just hasn't been there. Jason Steele in the Brighton goal pinging passes to his full backs on he wings or any midfielder in space but Onana can't seem to find anyone

Ran out of excuses. Supposed to be able to sweep to make up for his average goalkeeping but is showing he's only elite at being inconsistent. Put the team under pressure with some of his build up dallying, and while he played some good long balls (our Dalot cheese strat), a number of his long passes today were poor again.

There are better keepers for under 20M. We should shop around.

Could criticize positioning for both goals, not sure it would have mattered. Maybe he could have cut down angles better and forced misses.

Where I think he deserves criticism is he just point blank sucks at organizing the defense. Just shocking gaps on the left side today. The gap between CBs/LBs is too big. We double team way too much and give up easy goals.

In summary, our defensive organization is just horrendous. Clearly a coaching issue as it's basics and lingering for a year.

There were 4 Brighton players in a line- it’s not just Martinez’s fault. Who was tracking the Brighton full back and midfield?

The ball was headed in from the area that Martinez should have been defending, also the fact that Dalot who was supposed to be playing LB had come all the wsy over to where Mazroui was defending on the right didnt help either.