2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I have been critical of him but he is in good form and if he can sustain this he will prove to be a good signing after all.
I'm still extremely sceptical. I think people were too harsh on him last year when he was being made out to be completely hopeless and the worst in the league and are now being too quick to forgive and forget this season. I think in the long run he will prove too unreliable for us but I am very much enjoying his current form, and I do like him, so hoping he maintains it long enough for me to have to reassess.

I'm still extremely sceptical. I think people were too harsh on him last year when he was being made out to be completely hopeless and the worst in the league and are now being too quick to forgive and forget this season. I think in the long run he will prove too unreliable for us but I am very much enjoying his current form, and I do like him, so hoping he maintains it long enough for me to have to reassess.

I dont think so that is the case at all. They are just waiting for Onana to make a mistake (like every goalkeeper will once every so often) and will all come back with some variation of 'told you so'. Even last season when he improved from his terrible (mostly European games) start, people were nitpicking the smallest thing that could/might/maybe would have been the better action by Onana to prevent a goal even if the goal was prevented.

None has been forgotten or forgiven. It might even be worse since Onana is proving 'the doubters' wrong and it is never nice to be proven wrong. It is just that you cant really talk bad about Onana with the way he has been playing. The main criticism has been that his long kicks are not good eventhough with better finishing he could have had multiple assists by now. He put Dalot 1 on 1 with the opponent their goalkeeper last PL game for example.

Now you only have the really dedicated ''Onana outs' who even refuse to praise Onana for a fantastic double save and those will just claim any goalkeeper, or atleast 95%, would make those double saves. But i have no doubt that this topic will be filled with negative comments saying that Onana should be kicked out of the club the moment Onana makes a (small) mistake.

I dont think so that is the case at all. They are just waiting for Onana to make a mistake (like every goalkeeper will once every so often) and will all come back with some variation of 'told you so'. Even last season when he improved from his terrible (mostly European games) start, people were nitpicking the smallest thing that could/might/maybe would have been the better action by Onana to prevent a goal even if the goal was prevented.

None has been forgotten or forgiven. It might even be worse since Onana is proving 'the doubters' wrong and it is never nice to be proven wrong. It is just that you cant really talk bad about Onana with the way he has been playing. The main criticism has been that his long kicks are not good eventhough with better finishing he could have had multiple assists by now. He put Dalot 1 on 1 with the opponent their goalkeeper last PL game for example.

Now you only have the really dedicated ''Onana outs' who even refuse to praise Onana for a fantastic double save and those will just claim any goalkeeper, or atleast 95%, would make those double saves. But i have no doubt that this topic will be filled with negative comments saying that Onana should be kicked out of the club the moment Onana makes a (small) mistake.
Reasonable points here, I think. I'm quite sure you are right with the bit at the end.

I like Onana. He is not the most incredible, consistent shot-stopper, but the underlying cause of our problems is not him and the defence; it's primarily the midfield, which is so poorly structured that we give shots away and have players running at our defence all the time. Then you get all the corners and whatever else.

The midfield setup alone is sack-worthy. I just hope Ugarte can help with that, but I'm convinced the number 10 system with Bruno is a fundamental liability in too many games. With a midfield that was better set up defensively and using the ball better in possession, Onana's strengths would come out more.