View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

acnumber9

And it sounds like you’ve made up your mind and everybody who thinks differently is wrong. We kept possession under Van Gaal. Burnley kept possession but they did it so slowly they created feck all.

Dan_F

Exactly. His performance in the CL final against City is a great example of this.
Yep. Pep even said after the game that they avoided trying to press him because it’s a waste of time.

The Burnley fans jeering him when he had the ball because they think he’s a dodgy keeper, it made my night. He's clearly inviting the press to create space.

Sylar

Bollocks.

You state to be a good passer you need to move the ball quickly.

That's just not true.

It was obviously down to Burnley pressing with a good shape and cutting off passing lines. He's clearly keeping the ball and waiting for gaps to appear, rather than just hoofing it long at the first chance. There's nothing wrong with him putting his foot on the ball and waiting for a pass to open up. It's up to the other players to open up angles for him to hit the pass, if they don't do it then he's better off waiting a few seconds rather than booting one aimlessy down field.
Agreed. The main thing we're missing a deep midfielder which can push the CBS apart and the full backs to the line which would also open the option for the diagonal.
I'm interested to see what happens if / when everybody is fit

acnumber9

They also have players especially midfield coming and showing for the ball. They have people moving to make options which allows for a quicker pass especially through the middle
Onana always had defenders to pass to. It’s not ideal but it is what it is. Our midfielders are also the reason a midfielder was more important than a goalkeeper.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The amount of time he takes on the ball is infuriating. To be a good passer you need to do it quickly.
You can have your opinion but Pep and De Zerbi would disagree with your opinion. It's a pretty clear tactic taken to draw players out and having the confidence to evade that press and break the line.

Oranges038

It is true. You’re ignoring the fact that he always had the pass to defenders that he had the whole. And I am now ignoring you.
It's not true and it's just an awful take.

You're just lookin for a reason to slate him when he did nothing wrong and played a good game.

And as for that, pathetic.

Idxomer

He made one very good save.

His long balls were terrible and he seemed instructed not to come off his line which needs to change.

acnumber9

You can have your opinion but Pep and De Zerbi would disagree with your opinion. It's a pretty clear tactic taken to draw players out and having the confidence to evade that press and break the line.
I don’t think either of their keepers take as long as Onana does. If an outfield player did it, and Maguire did it frequently, people would be complaining.

Sylar

Onana always had defenders to pass to. It’s not ideal but it is what it is. Our midfielders are also the reason a midfielder was more important than a goalkeeper.
Well considering we didn't retain ddg and nobody else has taken ddg, it was clearly the right move to get rid
So yeah we needed a GK first because it's a position we didn't have.

A midfielder was important but we got mount instead of the deeper one.

And it sounds like you’ve made up your mind and everybody who thinks differently is wrong. We kept possession under Van Gaal. Burnley kept possession but they did it so slowly they created feck all.
Haha

acnumber9

Well considering we didn't retain ddg and nobody else has taken ddg, it was clearly the right move to get rid
So yeah we needed a GK first because it's a position we didn't have.

A midfielder was important but we got mount instead of the deeper one.

Haha
I’m not saying getting rid of De Gea was the wrong move. His time had come for our and his sake. Onana wasn’t the only keeper in the world. And if De Gea was as bad as people think, an upgrade didn’t need to come at that price. Particularly if they’re also going be just as useless at set pieces.

Haha indeed.

Holocene

The irony.

Borussia Teeth

It isn’t working.
"It isn't working" because the opposition knows he's good on the ball and don't press him; instead they cut passing lanes. However, we keep the ball. Would you rather a keeper that rushes a hoofed clearance every time he gets the ball?

Matson

His long balls were terrible and he seemed instructed not to come off his line which needs to change.
Yeah I don't understand this at all. Sure with the defence we had on the field tonight he's not going to come miles off his line but even at times when the defence had the ball in space he basically looked glued to his line. We may as well have De Gea in goal still if that's all where going to do.

acnumber9

The irony.
I gave no opinion when he signed and am watching him in our matches. I’m not convinced the upside is there. Many here decided he was the solution to all ills based on the Champions League final and are stuck to it like glue. If he proves me wrong, great. De Gea had the exact same passing options. There were no excuses then.

acnumber9

"It isn't working" because the opposition knows he's good on the ball and don't press him; instead they cut passing lanes. However, we keep the ball. Would you rather a keeper that rushes a hoofed clearance every time he gets the ball?
I’d rather he played the pass he’s going to play anyway quicker than he does. Like I said before, Burnley kept possession but it was slow and they were toothless because of it.

chris123

Just need that sort of game consistently from him, because that's exactly what we bought him for.

Baneofthegame

Is there a particular reason he seems rooted to his line now? I was expecting him to be in Trafford type positions when we signed him, I assume it’s under instruction.

Had a good game though, long balls at the end were De Gea like.

DickDastardly

Needs to get out more for corners and crosses.

Show more physical presence.

Otherwise, really good. Calm, collected even with a Evans - Lindelof CB pairing.

Just might think even Maguire couldn't feck his groove up

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Happy he’s got his first clean sheet, hopefully the first of many. He needed that after that howler against Bayern.
Second* (first without almost giving away a penalty though)

buckooo1978

super tonight i felt. 1 good save, 1 brave block and commanding on crosses

just what he/we needed

Sylar

Is there a particular reason he seems rooted to his line now? I was expecting him to be in Trafford type positions when we signed him, I assume it’s under instruction.

Had a good game though, long balls at the end were De Gea like.
I think it is, because pre-season he was defo higher in his positions with the ball,as well as off the ball. I really hope its not because of that lob pre-season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think it is, because pre-season he was defo higher in his positions with the ball,as well as off the ball. I really hope its not because of that lob pre-season.
Our CBs were Lindelof and Evans. Not much pace

PSV

Why are we not using him for what he's good at. Pretty much since his first game for us he now stays back in the box most of the time. What happened to the high line and using him further up the pitch.
He got lobbed and took it personal.

The Oracle

I know Onana was not my first choice this Summer (that was David Raya), but he did something at around 75 minutes of the match that made me really happy that he is wearing a Manchester United jersey...
He dove out very bravely towards a mid to low ball and he was not afraid to get clattered.

Absolutely refreshing to see from a Manchester United goalkeeper.

No matter what opinions we have formed about him at the start of his career with us, there is something that he has in spades, and that something is bravery :)

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Very solid game today. Needed that.

Continued to show good evidence of a top mentality.

ShinjiNinja26

I think he’s been instructed to play more cautiously due to our first choice back line all being injured. He was a lot more adventurous in the beginning when we had Shaw, Varane and Martinez all fit, once they return I think we’ll see him sweeping a lot more as our defence will be a lot more comfortable playing higher up the pitch.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I don’t think either of their keepers take as long as Onana does. If an outfield player did it, and Maguire did it frequently, people would be complaining.
Brighton defenders do it all the time. Pep commented how hard it is to deal with as an opposing manager when it works.

If Maguire did it I would complain because he isn't good enough to then avoid the press he's invited. Onana is and has proven it at Inter and Ajax.