2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

The south is mostly rural and safe, even when travelling solo. MS in particular is redolent with musical history, like Dockery farms or the B.B. King museum in Indianola. The delta country between the Mississippi and the Yazoo gave me a sense like nowhere else I have experienced of just how hard and precarious life was and is for black people in the US.
It does have its moments / places like the Delta, but, having spent too many months there growing up & visiting throughout the entire state, that sense of dread / sheer disappointment with how the Blacks in MS are (& still are) treated is a bit overwhelming & not in a good way. I'm one generation from my family having black nannies, I am certain that I am only three generations removed from multiple family members being in the Klan. I look on MS with abject embarrassment at times, only outdone by the embarrassment I feel for that side of my family.

I am a bit jaded.

It does have its moments / places like the Delta, but, having spent too many months there growing up & visiting throughout the entire state, that sense of dread / sheer disappointment with how the Blacks in MS are (& still are) treated is a bit overwhelming & not in a good way. I'm one generation from my family having black nannies, I am certain that I am only three generations removed from multiple family members being in the Klan. I look on MS with abject embarrassment at times, only outdone by the embarrassment I feel for that side of my family.

I am a bit jaded.
Understood. Thanks for the perspective. To me it's a fascinating state for both good and bad reasons. MS and LA seem more authentic than some other parts of the country.

I'm an Asian guy and moved to Nashville a few years ago because of my job. My corporate job back then took me on a lot of trips to a lot of red states such as Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. I even worked for a Tennessee state agency for a couple of years. Interestingly, I was the only Asian there, which often led to surprised reactions when I introduced myself as a state employee. My state white coworkers shared with me some horrible experiences in the Chatanogga area where some black state employees were told to get out from some white people in some of those small areas. I personally found that East Knoville is full of trumpites, and they certainly don't look friendly at all to me.

I recall an instance when I took a coworker to urgent care in Alabama. The receptionist curiously asked how we got here (U.S.), to which I jokingly replied, "We swam."

Not long after settling in Nashville, I had an encounter with an older white man. While I was waiting at a traffic light, he shouted at me from the sidewalk. I rolled down my window to hear what he was saying, only to hear him tell me to go back to California, referencing my car's CA license plate. He then proceeded to call me 'prick' and challenge me to a fight. I just laughed and left. One time in downtown Knoville, there was a couple, with the guy being a black guy. Everyone around them was literally staring at them, and I felt uncomfortable for them.

From my experience, most white individuals there are okay. I am fine with them as long as I don't talk about politics with them, as someone mentioned earlier. One of my friends said I am 'thriving' in the South. Honestly, I don't care too much about how they see me, which probably makes my life a lot easier, I guess. I have lived in Blue states like CA, IL for a long time as well. It is almost the same everywhere, though with good and bad people. As long as you don't go around looking for arguments or trouble, you will be fine.

No mata, is not the same everywhere with good and bad people. I don't see that level of confrontation for race anywhere, and I lived in 8 countries and visited +60. random challenges to fight, because a license plate? WTF? staring nastily someone for being black? Black people tell to get out? For me is dystopian

No mata, is not the same everywhere with good and bad people. I don't see that level of confrontation for race anywhere, and I lived in 8 countries and visited +60. random challenges to fight, because a license plate? WTF? staring nastily someone for being black? Black people tell to get out? For me is dystopian
I was talking about the difference between so called blue and red states in the U.S.

I am sure racial/social groups tension/discrimination happens in most countries in different fashion. That's the human nature. Not that it is right. You are probably lucky that you didn't see any in 68 countries you lived or visited.

I was talking about the difference between so called blue and red states in the U.S.

I am sure racial/social groups tension/discrimination happens in most countries in different fashion. That's the human nature. Not that it is right. You are probably lucky that you didn't see any in 68 countries you lived or visited.
Over the years I've been to 30 US States + DC - and in my experience people are pretty much the same everywhere you go. In my experience it doesn't matter whether it's a blue sate or a red state, bigots are bigots and they exist in every state, they're just a bit more open about it in the Southern ones

Necks are certainly necks in all corners of this country. Northern necks can be worse than southern necks.

Over the years I've been to 30 US States + DC - and in my experience people are pretty much the same everywhere you go. In my experience it doesn't matter whether it's a blue sate or a red state, bigots are bigots and they exist in every state, they're just a bit more open about it in the Southern ones
Yes. I believe so in general.

I have seen it. I experienced myself xenophobia. But this blatant aggressiveness no. Obviously I am not a minority and is harder for me to see it around and experience it myself so surely my perception is vastly different than yours. But I have the perception, maybe wrong, that the US has more extreme cases than other advanced societies. Also my comment was made in a moment of being mad at why this asshole just randomly verbally assaulted you. I find it insane and boils my blood

I have seen it. I experienced myself xenophobia. But this blatant aggressiveness no. Obviously I am not a minority and is harder for me to see it around and experience it myself so surely my perception is vastly different than yours. But I have the perception, maybe wrong, that the US has more extreme cases than other advanced societies. Also my comment was made in a moment of being mad at why this asshole just randomly verbally assaulted you. I find it insane and boils my blood
Oh yeah, definitely. It was weird, especially the part when he called me 'Prick' and asked me to come out to fight because I looked at him to see what he was trying to say when I was in my car. It was not like I could have shown any other aggressive or offended gesture towards him for that. TN Particularly, Nashville has been booming rapidly in the last few years, and some 'natives' think people coming from other states, such as California (their favorite state to talk sh*t about), are going to change the way they live there, etc.

Some are just too thick (for the lack of a better word) to take seriously. Someone said, Oh, they are going to change us to something liberal state like Texas. I am like, well, that would be bad, for sure.

https://emersoncollegepolling.com/m...w-lead-over-republican-challenger-tim-sheehy/

In all likelihood its going to be Rosendale, so may not matter much, but Sheehy and him polls around similiar against Tester.

Would be mighty impressive if Tester can hold on, Montana is a state Trump probably wins by at least 15 points, you would need split tickets to a degree that is rarely seen anymore.
There is a limit to how much you can outperform the other person you share ticket with, Biden needs to improve his numbers in Montana, otherwise i still think Tester loses tbh.

There is this disconnect, voters believe GOP are better for the economy, but ask the same voters if they believe in tax cuts for the rich, or tax increases for the rich, they will answer the latter.

So they both agree with GOP economic policies and they don't.

America in a nutshell. People are somehow convincing themselves that when wall street is raking in the billions that it makes their life better. Ironically when I speak with many of these people they know Jack about investing or aren't putting money aside at all for retirement.

People equate spending themselves into debt to economic prosperity. A staggeringly small number of people seem to have restraint.

Just recently talked to two of our company's highest income earners who at the ripe old age of 50 ish are suddenly worried about putting enough aside for retirement. Is it their fault? No of course not. It's somehow the company s fault for not contributing enough or Biden s fault for not having their poor planning allow for drastic catch up increases on the funds they do have set aside. :wenger:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, when Trump (didn't) hand over the presidency at the beginning of 2021, wasn't the US economy showing its biggest unemployment and contraction numbers since the World War II? Plus the casual killing of millions of citizens due to bad handling of COVID? And we haven't even mentioned what he's been charged with.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, when Trump (didn't) hand over the presidency at the beginning 2021, wasn't the US economy showing its biggest unemployment and contraction numbers since the World War II? Plus the casual killing of millions of citizens due to bad handling of COVID? And we haven't even mentioned what he's charged with.
Not sure about the economic numbers but I'll bet they were similar to 2008 or the like.

Only the casual killing of hundreds of thousands.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, when Trump (didn't) hand over the presidency at the beginning 2021, wasn't the US economy showing its biggest unemployment and contraction numbers since the World War II? Plus the casual killing of millions of citizens due to bad handling of COVID? And we haven't even mentioned what he's charged with.
Yes, but the level of economic intelligence of the normal American voter is on par with that of a head of lettuce. Probably lower.

Is there an actual chance Trump could be back?
How is this happening?

There is this disconnect, voters believe GOP are better for the economy, but ask the same voters if they believe in tax cuts for the rich, or tax increases for the rich, they will answer the latter.

So they both agree with GOP economic policies and they don't.
Most of them are also too dumb to realize that the much touted Trump tax cuts for regular folks end in 2025

To be fair it’s a quote, and a rather thought provoking one. Trump is bad and all, but it’s a topic worthy of discussion
Him not realizing he could be the impetus towards making the quote into reality is what got me.

Is there an actual chance Trump could be back?
How is this happening?
When you’re the nominee of a major party, you always have a good chance to win. The GOP have the electoral college working in their favor.

Having said that, I believe that a Biden win is more likely.

Vivek is now apparently reduced to scrounging for attention before the likes of TYT and Alex Jones.

Amazing how the best political mind in this upcoming election has seemingly fallen off a cliff.

we might laugh, but without trump, he could be the GOP nominee