2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Except its the president who makes the foreign policy. So nevermind the underlying complexities of some of the items you listed, these are all policies formulated under Obama.

I find it a bit weird you're reducing the role of the most important (arguably) cabinet position in the US government to that of a glorified bureaucrat.

good thread on the changes from 2020 vs 2024

MqcnbCu.png

3A9Yhxb.png

e - personally think there isn't going to be a shift to the right from biden on domestic stuff. i get the sense that biden-kamala-walz is a partial return to the older cold war liberalism, both at home and abroad.

@MrMarcello once again, a marxist raises a yemen-related issue.

Its an odd hill to die on for them given Trump's own lack of military service; especially when placed into context of the show the Dems are putting on this week. R's should instead be attacking them on policy instead of this, which looks like an increasing act of desparation.
It's very strange strategy. Just hammer border policy and inflation. How hard can it be?

Agreed. And fortunately it won't work this time since the country is very different today than in 04. Independents generally don't care about whether or not x VP candidate served in Italy or Afghanistan. Especially since Walz seems like such a cool, likeable guy.
Hope you're right!

Was thinking of your general take on things listening to Ezra Klein this am - he said at the convention he was chatting to some of the more hardcore internal pollsters in the Dems, and they're much more pessimistic on Harris' chances, saying she's still behind in key swing states, unlike the more public polls. Take that where you will, but interesting nonetheless. And depressing.

good thread on the changes from 2020 vs 2024
So the 24 Dems are failing the 20 Dems' purity test?

It's almost like a party has shifted to align better with the majority of the electorate it is aiming to be elected by and serve, and that said electorate's position on issues has changed over time.

I find it a bit weird you're reducing the role of the most important (arguably) cabinet position in the US government to that of a glorified bureaucrat.

I was at State during the Hillary (and Kerry) years. Obama was the President, so ultimately, all big policy questions had to be greenlit through him. Hillary herself wasn't running some shadow foreign policy that wasn't directly connected to Obama's specific vision of international politics. The geopolitics thread is probably a better place to discuss this in greater detail.

It's almost like a party has shifted to align better with the majority of the electorate it is aiming to be elected by and serve, and that said electorate's position on issues has changed over time.

It is indeed something to celebrate a party so in tune with the masses!

Hope you're right!

Was thinking of your general take on things listening to Ezra Klein this am - he said at the convention he was chatting to some of the more hardcore internal pollsters in the Dems, and they're much more pessimistic on Harris' chances, saying she's still behind in key swing states, unlike the more public polls. Take that where you will, but interesting nonetheless. And depressing.

I would agree with that. I think Harris can win, but continue to be concerned that the euphoria of the past few weeks is leading some Dems into a false sense of security that victory is highly likely, when in fact its pretty much still a 50/50 game. Harris can change that if she raises her game by having a good speech and then hitting the trail to double down on policy, give interviews, and have a solid debate against Trump. If she does that, I think she will have a much better chance since Trump probably won't be able to match her turnout.

I was at State during the Hillary (and Kerry) years. Obama was the President, so ultimately, all big policy questions had to be greenlit through him. Hillary herself wasn't running some shadow foreign policy that wasn't directly connected to Obama's specific vision of international politics. The geopolitics thread is probably a better place to discuss this in greater detail.

yeah let's move this to that thread.

I just find it not believable that Obama greenlit soliciting South Korean government investors into the Bill Clinton led Haiti project amongst other things.

I'd say the issue was she is a Clinton with all the baggage that came with
Being not so much into US politics I'm wondering why the Clinton's have such a bad reputation.
In Germany Clinton is very highly regarded. He was good for economy and is the last president who actually had balanced budget.
There was the scandal with Lewinsky but in Europe people actually were wondering why it's such big deal. Similar to the outcry about the head of the IMF Straus-Kahn. Americans are in these things way to conservative to my liking. If they do a good job I don't give a shit about their sexual exploits as long as they happened in both consent. Especially with Trump being no a bit better but rather even worse.

Or are there other reasons the Clinton's are disliked?

Being not so much into US politics I'm wondering why the Clinton's have such a bad reputation.
In Germany Clinton is very highly regarded. He was good for economy and is the last president who actually had balanced budget.
There was the scandal with Lewinsky but in Europe people actually were wondering why it's such big deal. Similar to the outcry about the head of the IMF Straus-Kahn. Americans are in these things way to conservative to my liking. If they do a good job I don't give a shit about their sexual exploits as long as they happened in both consent. Especially with Trump being no a bit better but rather even worse.

The problem wasn't that he did it, the problem was that he lied about it.

Absolutely nothing to do with that at all. Yes, there are other huge reasons:

1. Very pro War on Drugs
2. Huge supporters of the prison-industrial complex
3. Neoliberal economic policies spurred rising wealth and income inequality
4. Biggest Democrat supports of the Iraq War

All of these things look worse with age and put them on the wrong side of history and there are a lot of other more specific issues that could be criticized as well.

1_rss.png

Absolutely nothing to do with that at all. Yes, there are other huge reasons:

1. Very pro War on Drugs
2. Huge supporters of the prison-industrial complex
3. Neoliberal economic policies spurred rising wealth and income inequality
4. Biggest Democrat supports of the Iraq War

All of these things look worse with age and put them on the wrong side of history and there are a lot of other more specific issues that could be criticized as well.

1_rss.png

on a personal scandal level, and this probably doesn't factor into the hate, but does make him a slight liability:
the credible allegations from juannita broaddrick, and his very close ties to epstein, which mean the dems can't go after trump for similar.

Really not sure why Donald Trump is interviewing someone about their addiction history but it's a very interesting new side to him.

Really not sure why Donald Trump is interviewing someone about their addiction history but it's a very interesting new side to him.

Is it a new side though? He talked about his brother's alcohol addiction in the past.

I wonder if hitting the podcast circuit would pay any dividends.
Theo Von viewers are probably already voting Trump.

5m views in less than a day is decent numbers though

RFK jr. dropping out and endorsing Trump really could decide this election, couldn’t it?

Addition: ABC now saying he plans to drop out this week and probably endorse Trump.
I think for the most part his supporters will probably just be non voters won't they?

I wonder if hitting the podcast circuit would pay any dividends.
Theo Von viewers are probably already voting Trump.

5m views in less than a day is decent numbers though
DNC gave a bunch of influencers access and credentials to DNC to create their content and interview. Leaning into digital platforms and social media heavily. Reaching people where the consume media/news cant hurt.

The whole "this is a coronation not a democracy" attack on Kamala by RFK is just stupid. If you cared about Democracy, you certainly could not back the guy who tried to have millions of votes tossed out because they werent for him. And you certainly wouldn't support the man behind fake electors trying to undermine democracy. A felon and fraud who preys on society for his own gain.

I think for the most part his supporters will probably just be non voters won't they?
Some of them will for sure. Part of the RFK Jr. appeal came from him being 3rd party, when the two candidates were historically unpopular. He will just look silly endorsing the candidate of one of the establishment parties.

Many will probably. And it’s not like Trump will get 90 or 80 percent of the actual voters but everything counts in such a tight race, and with a clear endorsement I definitely think Trump will get more votes out of this than Harris. Then again, RFK gets a lot of his hypothetical votes in Texas and other states that won’t swing anyway, so my post was probably a bit dramatic.

Harris numbers are good compared to Biden's, not against Trump. Trump twice beat his poll numbers, so you need a comfortable gap in numbers when running against him.

If he gets a small chunk of RFK voters more than Harris, that would complicate it for the Dems. more

I'm not optimistic, as I have been throughout this thread. The Dems. seem to be making one mistake after the other; from Biden decision to run again last year, to no open convention and just going with the simplest route with Harris, to antagonizing RFK...etc..

Harris numbers are good compared to Biden's, not against Trump. Trump twice beat his poll numbers, so you need a comfortable gap in numbers when running against him.

If he gets a small chunk of RFK voters more than Harris, that would complicate it for the Dems. more

I'm not optimistic, as I have been throughout this thread. The Dems. seem to be making one mistake after the other; from Biden decision to run again last year, to no open convention and just going with the simplest route with Harris, to antagonizing RFK...etc..

It would have been absolute chaos if there was an open convention. feck RFK, his impact will be minimal oif at all.

How exactly have they antagonized RFK Jr.? The guy doesn't deserve the time of day.