2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Obama's speech reminds me why Trump coming right after him was one of the most shocking things of that year. It was unbelievable that US would go from a guy who walks and talks like that to Trump.
100%. I still can’t understand how did that as a country.

1. She’s a woman
2. She’s a Clinton
3. James Comey

Edit: 4. Horrific campaign, especially in WI
#1 applies to this election too… I’m hopeful, but worried. Worried, but hopeful.

Still, we should have never ever elected someone like Trump. Ever!

If Michelle Obama ran, I think she'd almost certainly beat Trump. She's very intelligent, articulate, likeable. I'm not sure Harris ticks those boxes to the same degree, which is why I think Trump still has the edge. It's gonna be very close, the debate in September is massive. Obviously Biden was gonna lose. While I'm hopeful Harris will win, you can't underestimate the number of people who love Orange face.

Obama's speech reminds me why Trump coming right after him was one of the most shocking things of that year. It was unbelievable that US would go from a guy who walks and talks like that to Trump.
I reckon having a black man in the white house did a lot to further radicalise the right. They couldn't stomach it. At all.

In 2008, the Republican party still nominated John McCain. And even followed with Mitt Romney four years later. That seems a lifetime ago for where the party is today.

Last edited:
How are they both this good at public speaking? I swear I hear someone speak and I think “they spoke very well” and then an Obama speaks and I wonder are there good speakers or are there just Obamas and everyone else. Is there a lectern in every room in their house or something?

I can't really comment on Michelle, but Barrack is the best political speaker I've ever heard in my life, and it's not even by a close margin

I reckon having a black man in the white house did a lot to further radicalise the right. They couldn't stomach it. At all.

In 2008, the Republican party still nominated John McCain. And even followed with Mitt Romney four years later. That seems a lifetime ago for where the party is today.

A lot of the right wing type talk about how Obama was this huge divider and was the reason for all of this division in society, but I've never actually been able to see what he did to cause this division besides being black

A lot of the right wing type talk about how Obama was this huge divider and was the reason for all of this division in society, but I've never actually been able to see what he did to cause this division besides being black
They would say he put more focus on race relations (I mean besides the obvious focus generated by him being elected), which doesn't seem to be particularly true - at least not in his first term. His two terms also coincided with the inception of the Black Lives Matter movement following the shootings of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown in particular, so I imagine many right-wing types draw a connection between Obama and that movement, which is a real boogeyman for them.

Mitch McConnell as senate leader in those years probably also did it's part. There are few politicians who have done more to undermine American democracy than McConnell in modern history. Probably only Trump.

Mitch McConnell as senate leader in those years probably also did it's part. There are few politicians who have done more to undermine American democracy than McConnell in modern history. Probably only Trump.
He'll go down as one of if not the most influential US political figure in the modern era (Turtle). It's a great example of knowing what you want, analysing the system, identifying weaknesses and then getting it. I don't agree with Mitch's view of the world, but I respect his single-mindedness and devotion to shaping the world to it.

He fundamentally believes (quite a lot like this iteration of Vance) that the US would best prosper under a traditional family structure, largely driven by white Christian ideals and beliefs. And that the US would do better under that than under democracy. Once you realise that, it's a lot easier to process the actions of these people. Both Vance and McConnell would probably upright say that democracy is holding back American success, and that it would be better under 'their' view of the world.

Once Mitch saw he couldn't win by appealing to voters, he charted a course that didn't need them, and it's nothing if not impressive.

The fact that those on the other side (pro democracy) have been unable to muster the drive and discipline to fight him is an indictment of us, not him.

1. She’s a woman
2. She’s a Clinton
3. James Comey

No 3 is the top reason, without Comey she would have almost certainly won

For the first time I believe she can be president

Depends greatly on what happens in November, if Harris doesn't win, it means the US still isn't ready for a woman to be president anytime soon.

Well, the stupid electoral college that is, the actual people don't mind.

Depends greatly on what happens in November, if Harris doesn't win, it means the US still isn't ready for a woman to be president anytime soon.

Well, the stupid electoral college that is, the actual people don't mind.
The earliest she can run in 2032 anyway, provided Schumer retires and she wins the Senate seat in 28. 0 chance of her running for prez in 28 given that all her experience by then will just be being a safe blue seat Congresdwoman for a decade.

The earliest she can run in 2032 anyway, provided Schumer retires and she wins the Senate seat in 28. 0 chance of her running for prez in 28 given that all her experience by then will just be being a safe blue seat Congresdwoman for a decade.

She has the identity credentials for the primary, she has the base libs who she didn't have earlier, she is building coalitions within the party. This wouldn't be a hostile takeover like Bernie, but a gentle change, centre-right VP and all. Definitely a smaller climb to the nomination.
And if Kamala can turn around her national numbers, AOC probably can too.

For the first time I believe she can be president

As pointed out in the comments, even Ilhan Omar met with hostage families. It would be incredibly odd if a US politician declined to do so given that there are 8 American citizens still being held hostage.

The tweeter simply seems to be making provocative statements for attention.

As pointed out in the comments, even Ilhan Omar met with hostage families. It would be incredibly odd if a US politician declined to do so given that there are 8 American citizens still being held hostage.

The tweeter simply seems to be making provocative statements for attention.

This wasn't just any hostage, he was IDF. She has also shown maturity with her rhetoric, didn't say needlessly inflammatory words like "genocide", and said Harris is already working hard for a ceasefire (which she didn't define as permanent or as needing Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, both of which are off the cards for the Biden-Bibi side), and didn't make any further demands.

It's not just the one tweet, there's an article and a post too:

Yeah I noticed that. I think much of the progressive movement has been subsumed into the party at this point. A lot of what Sanders was selling has been picked up by the likes of Harris and others and AOC is drifting towards the center.

This wasn't just any hostage, he was IDF. She has also shown maturity with her rhetoric, didn't say needlessly inflammatory words like "genocide", and said Harris is already working hard for a ceasefire (which she didn't define as permanent or as needing Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, both of which are off the cards for the Biden-Bibi side), and didn't make any further demands.

It's not just the one tweet, there's an article and a post too:

This doesn't account for anything the tweeter is saying about the squad being in decline. For starters, the squad isn't an actual thing, but rather a branding that was given to four new members in 2020. Each of them are still largely progressives by policy, even though AOC is attempting to cast herself as not being a member of the fringe. The likes of Omar, Talib, and Pressley are still pretty much the same, which is in contravention to what the tweeter is saying.

This doesn't account for anything the tweeter is saying about the squad being in decline. For starters, the squad isn't an actual thing, but rather a branding that was given to four new members in 2020. Each of them are still largely progressives by policy, even though AOC is attempting to cast herself as not being a member of the fringe. The likes of Omar, Talib, and Pressley are still pretty much the same, which is in contravention to what the tweeter is saying.

It has reduced in size this year, with 2 defeats. Omar is always vulnerable to a similar campaign too.
Anyway, my main point was about AOC getting ready for prime time, which you seem to agree with.

1. She’s a woman
2. She’s a Clinton
3. James Comey

I don't think the first had anything to do with it.

She was just unlikeable and unable to connect to common man, esp.in key states like Pennsylvania, Michigan etc. Plus the Dems kinda overestimated her appeal and underestimated Trump's.

It has reduced in size this year, with 2 defeats. Omar is always vulnerable to a similar campaign too.
Anyway, my main point was about AOC getting ready for prime time, which you seem to agree with.

Bowman and Bush weren't original "members". Both of them lost for reasons out of their own control due to the influence of AIPAC money. Therefore the tweeter, who looks like a pro-Israeli influencer, seems to be taking a victory lap that AIPAC has help to ruin the squad, when the original members are all still in congress.