2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Beyond the ratings spectacle, what would be the point. She should stick to her guns that they have to debate based on previously agreed to conditions of ABC hosting. If he doesn't want to do it, then he will be perceived as the one ducking it, not her. Moving it to Fox is a non-starter since Trump is simply trying to set up a farcical 2016 type situation where he paraded all of Bill Clinton's former accusers at the debate to intimidate Hillary. There's no need for any of that nonsense this time, particularly, if Harris is in front by the debate date.
Agree, there's also the problem that going on Fox News somehow legitimizes that circus. Trump wants the circus, he wants the wrestling type crowd booing and cheering his every rambling thought. Harris should refuse and keep the conditions the same as before.

Agree, there's also the problem that going on Fox News somehow legitimizes that circus. Trump wants the circus, he wants the wrestling type crowd booing and cheering his every rambling thought. Harris should refuse and keep the conditions the same as before.

The hope is she gets a couple slight polling bumps following her VP choice and another after her convention speech, so she doesn't need to rely on a debate to make any more progress. I suspect Trump will be doubly desperate and unhinged by then if he's trailing in the rust belt states.

I imagine how much she'll want to engage with the debates and these histrionics will depend to some extent on how internal polling is looking in the key battleground states and how much she feels she needs to move the needle.

I imagine how much she'll want to engage with the debates and these histrionics will depend to some extent on how internal polling is looking in the key battleground states and how much she feels she needs to move the needle.

Agreed. The debate is a bit of a banana skin for both candidates, which is why they're jostling about whether to hold it on ABC or Fox. Trump knows that she will be calling him out for any number of things, which he probably thinks he can mitigate if the debate is on Fox and he can have his raucous supporters there to boo her. Predictably thin skinned stuff.

Glenn Greenwald is posting anti-Harris tweets I see.
He’s been a contrarian cnut for a long time. He was adamant Russia had nothing to do with Trump and died on that hill.

Depend on if she needs to be 35 before the election or before assuming office she either makes or misses it by a month.
TBH she doesn't need to stand as VP, all she needs to do is stand in front of a camera and call out Trump for what he is and declare her support for Harris - the Swifties will do the rest

TBH she doesn't need to stand as VP, all she needs to do is stand in front of a camera and call out Trump for what he is and declare her support for Harris - the Swifties will do the rest
When has celebrity endorsement actually worked and not backfired a bit?

He’s been a contrarian cnut for a long time. He was adamant Russia had nothing to do with Trump and died on that hill.
He's a literal Kremlin propagandist these days. Bought and paid for by Putin, just like Trump and most of the modern American right.

It's fascinating that they are going with this again, because it so clearly didn't work against Obama.

He somehow managed to get literally everything wrong.

R&D = R&B (they were neither)

They were German (only one was, the other French)

Born in Madrid - Neither were born there.

Deliberately mispronounces Harris' name and attempts to draw some sort of weird linkage with Madrid.

Impressively idiotic stuff crammed into 21 seconds.

When has celebrity endorsement actually worked and not backfired a bit?
When has a celebrity of her magnitude, especially one so influential with the key demographic for a party, made an endorsement? I still doubt she is going to do it.

When has a celebrity of her magnitude, especially one so influential with the key demographic for a party, made an endorsement? I still doubt she is going to do it.
I vaguely remember some a lister endorsed Hillary back in 2016.

She endorsed Biden in 2020.

Also endorsed 2 Democrats in Tennessee in 2018, both lost.

The Swift effect is very overstated, her fans are already Dem leaning, they just don’t vote (maybe not even old enough to vote).

She endorsed Biden in 2020.

Also endorsed 2 Democrats in Tennessee in 2018, both lost.

The Swift effect is very overstated, her fans are already Dem leaning, they just don’t vote (maybe not even old enough to vote).
Forgot about 2020, thanks for the correction.

I agree her endorsement would not sway many voters, which is why a better use of her celebrity would be to work on motivating people to get out and vote.

I don't know. He's certainly a very effective communicator in interviews, but I don't see him as an exciting speaker at rallies or someone that can really make his mark in a debate with multiple candidates.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I'd steer clear if I was Harris. He comes across as a bit of an elitist bureaucrat, which has become anathema to US politics in some ways. He might be from Indiana, but he screams DC.

I have to say this is definitely a minority take and pretty wide of the mark to be honest. He actually has more appeal than most in the rural Midwest and a lot of data supports that. Swing voters love him with the only concern being that people won’t vote for a black woman and a gay guy. Any other argument is pretty inaccurate at this point and not supported by data.

The mayo Pete take is a leftist thing because he’s well, not radical enough for those folks and comes across as more palatable for more types of people, plus he’s white I guess.

Don’t think anyone credible is buying Trump’s debate complaint, it’s clear he’s desperate and scared of Harris now. She has the leverage imo and in a couple of weeks, Trump will likely need the debate more than she does

I have to say this is definitely a minority take and pretty wide of the mark to be honest. He actually has more appeal than most in the rural Midwest and a lot of data supports that. Swing voters love him with the only concern being that people won’t vote for a black woman and a gay guy. Any other argument is pretty inaccurate at this point and not supported by data.

The mayo Pete take is a leftist thing because he’s well, not radical enough for those folks and comes across as more palatable for more types of people, plus he’s white I guess.
Don’t think this should be thrown in as an afterthought in any honest depiction of how Mayo Pete started. Along with his perceived blandness and his well documented inability to connect with black voters during the last campaign. Things like the high hopes video made him seem like a bit of a goof.

You’d think the black voters thing would be less of an issue on a Harris ticket. And his recent performances in the media have been hugely dynamic and impressive.

Desperate times in Trump land

How did America get to this point? Are we going to live through this blatant racism for 90 more days (and beyond)? Is the whole campaign going to be about the background of Harris?

How did America get to this point? Are we going to live through this blatant racism for 90 more days (and beyond)? Is the whole campaign going to be about the background of Harris?

Its not like Trump has discovered any new tricks he didn't use in 16 and 20. In fact, going back to his birtherism schtick of the 15 years go.

Its not like Trump has discovered any new tricks he didn't use in 16 and 20. In fact, going back to his birtherism schtick of the 15 years go.
I know, my friend. It’s not just Trump himself, but pretty much everyone who speaks for his campaign. This is exhausting.

I wonder though if swing voters will appreciate this or clearly reject it. I honestly don’t know what to expect anymore.

I know. It’s not just Trump himself, but pretty much everyone who speaks for his campaign. This is exhausting.

I wonder though if swing voters will appreciate this or clearly reject it.

That's why they call it a cult. Everything everyone says is to impress the leader. Most swing voters will reject it, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be bothered voting at all.

That's why they call it a cult. Everything everyone says is to impress the leader.
A big cult, one that is enough to win the U.S. presidency.

I used to see the U.S. flag alone in front yards, or the U.S. flag and just beneath it the state flag.

Now I see, whenever I go to rural areas like last week, lots of Trump flags alone or with the U.S. flag.