2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Republicans having a meltdown on Twitter. Some calling anti democratic, apparently the party shouldn’t choose its own candidate :rolleyes:

They are upset because all of their data and analytics modeling up to now has been focused on Biden. Removing him from the race would obviously put them back to square one.

It’s a bit strange that the main argument against Harris’ chances is that she’s a black woman, yet the fantasy pick seen as a certain winner is … a black woman (Obama). I think Harris could be just right for this situation. She has the air of an incumbent (and can sell the achievements of the current administration way better than Biden). And this election is about turnout. You now have both the anything but Trump motivation and an appeal to female, black and progressive voters. Give her a vanilla male running mate from a swing state like Shapiro or Walz and I think she’s a strong candidate.

Just hammer home abortion, Trump being a felon and stuff like that and I'd be surprised if the Dems don't win.

I agree, and I don't know. Some of the people on the CAF don't seem to like her.
I like her, but not as a politician, and definitely not as a presidential nominee.

Michelle Obama said many times that she’s not interested. It would be a mistake to nominate someone who doesn’t want the job.

Besides, I want the Obama-Biden era to be over. I’ve moved on from this group. No more Bidens, no more Clintons and no more Obama’s.

I can’t see Kamala winning. Americans didn’t vote for a woman against Trump last time let alone a one with Indian heritage. White America will not like it.

Hillary received 2.87 million more votes than Trump, it's the way the US does the state EC count that gave Trump the victory. It could well be a similar result this year which would mean more people voted for the woman. But yours is a fair point on the racial undertone.

Alright, listen up, because here’s a gem from the guy who nailed it when he said last year that Biden’s too ancient to run and that Trump would absolutely wipe the floor with him in the debates.

Kamala Harris? Yeah, she's a real powerhouse—if you count zero accomplishments and the appeal of a soggy toast. Plus, she's got the glorious distinction of being on the ticket with a guy who bailed mid-race. It’s super annoying because this race is totally winnable. Now, if someone like Whitmer, Beshear, or Newsom (assuming they’ve got the guts) jumps in, they might actually have a shot.
Was anyone excited about Biden in 2016?

I didn’t like Harris as a VP pick, don’t like her for the presidency. But I’ll vote for whoever is picked.

Biden’s genius was being even more populist than Trump, we need the candidate to make it clear they will continue in that vein.

Just so depressing that neither party can put a human you’d admire up for the presidency.

It’s a bit strange that the main argument against Harris’ chances is that she’s a black woman, yet the fantasy pick seen as a certain winner is … a black woman (Obama). I think Harris could be just right for this situation. She has the air of an incumbent (and can sell the achievements of the current administration way better than Biden). And this election is about turnout. You now have both the anything but Trump motivation and an appeal to female, black and progressive voters. Give her a vanilla male running mate from a swing state like Shapiro or Walz and I think she’s a strong candidate.

Stop with this nonsense. The argument against Kamala is that she's a total lightweight, with zero accomplishments and zero charm. She bombed in the DNC primaries in 2020, finishing like 10th in a field of 12. Are Democratic voters loathe to choose a black woman as their candidate? Come on now.

Hillary received 2.87 million more votes than Trump, it's the way the US does the state EC count that gave Trump the victory. It could well be a similar result this year which would mean more people voted for the woman. But yours is a fair point on the racial undertone.
Yeah you are right about the EC process. Sadly the race thing will be an issue which is a shame.

I can’t see Kamala winning. Americans didn’t vote for a woman against Trump last time let alone a one with Indian heritage. White America will not like it.
White America is made up of a younger generation who can't stand trump. I think Joe stepping down and putting a women up against Trump is their best chance at winning.

Stop with this nonsense. The argument against Kamala is that she's a total lightweight, with zero accomplishments and zero charm. She bombed in the DNC primaries in 2020, finishing like 10th in a field of 12, are Democratic voters loathe to choose a black woman as their candidate? Come on now.
You really have an unpleasant way of debating. It’s been the same in several threads now and it’s just not worth my time, sorry, but I think you should consider working on it.

Yeah you are right about the EC process. Sadly the race thing will be an issue which is a shame.

I'd also add there is likely a lingering patriarchal/misogynistic undertone still resident in some independents and probably some Dem voters. It will be a tough fight for Kamala to win but fortunately she's now running against the shittiest, most hated candidate in history.

It is only 6 or 7 States that decide the result. Dems should pick the ticket that has the highest probability to carry these States.
Which is why Newsom is a big no, a Californian governor isn't winning the rust belt states. Whitmer
Kamala Harris? Yeah, she's a real powerhouse—if you count zero accomplishments and the appeal of a soggy toast. Plus, she's got the glorious distinction of being on the ticket with a guy who bailed mid-race. It’s super annoying because this race is totally winnable. Now, if someone like Whitmer, Beshear, or Newsom (assuming they’ve got the guts) jumps in, they might actually have a shot.
Its a tough ask for the up and coming candidates. If you jump in here last minute and lose, that's likely your only shot. I don't see any of the big names being interested in taking this one. Newsom won't touch it with a barge poll, in my opinion.

Given the political reality of how tough winning as anything other than a white male would be, I like Shapiro or Pritzker.

It will be Harris though.

I like her, but not as a politician, and definitely not as a presidential nominee.

Michelle Obama said many times that she’s not interested. It would be a mistake to nominate someone who doesn’t want the job.

Besides, I want the Obama-Biden era to be over. I’ve moved on from this group. No more Bidens, no more Clintons and no more Obama’s.

All fair points

Will they now accuse Biden of being unfit to govern? November isn’t far away, but imagine if he stepped down entirely due to poor health.

Do those endorsements actually help?

Feel like the dems would be better going for someone with as little connections as possible to Clinton / Obama etc. but then again I’ve no idea how important those lot are to voters nowadays

At a minimum give the impression that they’re starting with a clean slate

Not sure trying to make it about race or gender will work out for the Democrats. No suggestion they will of course but some posters seem to be focusing on that.

I'll go back to my first point since this news dropped. Biden was chosen as their nominee last time because he was appealing to voters who could just as easily have voted for Trump. He had the "Murica" factor.

Likes of Shapiro or Beshear don't have the name recognition to win a presidential election in 3 months or so. Be serious. For better or worse, Kamala has that.

Biden was pulling a lot of moderate republicans / independents in his best days. He simply couldn’t run based on his cognitive decline but sticking with Harris would be madness, I think we’ll see her polling even lower than Biden really soon.

It also has something to do that she is extremely unpopular, has a negative approval rate, is the VP of one of the most unpopular presidents in the history, was kept hidden for the last 3.5 years, and comes from a safe blue state. She doesn't have many redeeming qualities and got the job basically by being a black woman (if it had to be a woman, both Klobuchar and Warren did far better in the primaries).

If Dems will pick her as the nominee, they will lose. Which is why I fully expect them to pick her.

Have been saying this for a long time, but Whitmer is the most obvious choice. A strong competent governer, coming from a swing state but winning it easily, plus some identity politics by being a woman. I do not think at this point in time anyone else can win it (Newsom is the best speaker, but he is from California and will be murdered on immigration and homelessness. Buttigieg is also a great speaker but that's basically what he is).

This allows Democrats to reverse the narrative and attack Trump as being too old and mentally incapable. And with 34 felonies. Will be interesting to see if Trump chooses to do any more debates. Harris is a more aggressive personality than Biden and that might work well against the orange one.

Will they now accuse Biden of being unfit to govern? November isn’t far away, but imagine if he stepped down entirely due to poor health.
Being cynical, wouldn't that be counter-productive? Voters would see Harris as the actual President, and if she does well... It seems the Republicans are better off with the status quo.

Wouldn't most people who are averse to Harris due to her gender and heritage be more likely to vote Republican anyway?

This allows Democrats to reverse the narrative and attack Trump as being too old and mentally incapable. And with 34 felonies. Will be interesting to see if Trump chooses to do any more debates. Harris is a more aggressive personality than Biden and that might work well against the orange one.
The next presidential debate is scheduled for September 10th.

Was anyone excited about Biden in 2016?

I didn’t like Harris as a VP pick, don’t like her for the presidency. But I’ll vote for whoever is picked.

Biden’s genius was being even more populist than Trump, we need the candidate to make it clear they will continue in that vein.

Just so depressing that neither party can put a human you’d admire up for the presidency.

This is what I've been saying. Biden was and in all honesty always has been the Democrats "Trump"

Not sure trying to make it about race or gender will work out for the Democrats. No suggestion they will of course but some posters seem to be focusing on that.

I'll go back to my first point since this news dropped. Biden was chosen as their nominee last time because he was appealing to voters who could just as easily have voted for Trump. He had the "Murica" factor.
Precisely, many don’t realize that this was the key. Progressives will vote for any Democrat nominee given the opposition it’s those on the fence you need to attract.