2024 U.S. Elections | Trump v Harris

Maybe, but what if a small percentage of swing voters don’t want to vote for her because of gender and heritage?

Regardless, I will 100% vote for her if she’s the nominee, but I don’t want her to be the nominee for a wide range of reasons. Replacing Biden by his VP is just one of them. I also don’t want Pete either.

I can't imagine Buttigieg would be in the conversation at all this cycle.

So now that Joe is gone will the media start calling for Trump to drop out because he mentally isn’t all there too?

As the VP, endorsed by the primary winner and President, it's Harris' to lose. She starts at the top of the field, and anyone is welcome to take a shot, in my opinion. The convension is in a month - plenty of time to put together a platform and bring it to those who will decide.

That said, being negative about Harris at a time when the other side is basically a party of evangelicals and incels seems pretty f*cking stupid. Also have no idea where folks are getting stuff against her intelligence - she was the DA of California ffs, as well as senator before the VP nod. She has a compelling background story, is a proven success in multiple areas of both legal and legislation and certainly should be taken seriously as a candidate.

She's very unlikely to be anyone's number one candidate, but she should be more than capable of beating Donald f*cking Trump.

The Dems now turn this into an election of:
- Avoiding a convicted felon, rapist, morally bankrupt mentally decaying demagogue who is only out for himself
- Avoiding a Christo-facist, anti-democratic attempt to take away rights from half hte population
- Avoiding a weaponised supreme court who clearly are less interested in the law than their own bitterness
- Avoiding implenting a sweeping anti-democractic scheme that would replace the actual doers of the American government with cronies and sycophants

This shouldn't be a close election. At all.

Its also a misnomer that VPs get selected to "carry a state" for the ticket. Ultimately, candidates choose their VP because they're comfortable with them.
Well, that was one of the clear reasons JFK took on LBJ as his running mate in 1960, that & a pipeline into the Senate.

The candidate needs to win Michigan, Wisconsin, & Pennsylvania, not necessarily Arizona. To me, it's one of Whitmer & Shapiro.

Pennsylvania seems to be more difficult this cycle for dems than even Wisconsin, for whatever reason.

Shapiro would be a good choice.

I see this argument, but Vance won’t bring enough swing voters to Trump. That’s more important than the money from Musk or being aligned with Trump.
I think those are related. Spending lots of money brings votes, which is why campaigns spend so much money. Historically, Dems outspend Republicans, this race will be the opposite, Trump will outspend the Dem candidate, and a lot of that has to do with his VP pick.

Additionally, Vance is smart, a great speaker, young and energetic and completely aligned in policy with Trump. I actually think it is refreshing that the P chooses a mini-version of himself as a VP, rather than going for something opposite which is the traditional way. Hey, vote for me cause I am great, but just in case, here is my VP who is very different (the most extreme being centre-right Joe McCain choosing a lunatic far-right Sarah Palin). Basically, I think that Vance and Vivek policy and money wise were by far the best picks. Maybe Youngkin would have been strategically a great pick too cause if he takes Virginia, it is game over. But Rubio et al., I do not think so. You cannot run with a the uniparty is evil, bllah bllah bllah, and then choose Rubio as your VP. Especially when you're old yourself, which means that the successor is very different to you.

I think those are related. Spending lots of money brings votes, which is why campaigns spend so much money. Historically, Dems outspend Republicans, this race will be the opposite, Trump will outspend the Dem candidate, and a lot of that has to do with his VP pick.

Additionally, Vance is smart, a great speaker, young and energetic and completely aligned in policy with Trump. I actually think it is refreshing that the P chooses a mini-version of himself as a VP, rather than going for something opposite which is the traditional way. Hey, vote for me cause I am great, but just in case, here is my VP who is very different (the most extreme being centre-right Joe McCain choosing a lunatic far-right Sarah Palin). Basically, I think that Vance and Vivek policy and money wise were by far the best picks. Maybe Youngkin would have been strategically a great pick too cause if he takes Virginia, it is game over. But Rubio et al., I do not think so. You cannot run with a the uniparty is evil, bllah bllah bllah, and then choose Rubio as your VP. Especially when you're old yourself, which means that the successor is very different to you.
Vance has far too many negatives to appeal to independents.

A VP pick should increase votes, not shed them or keep them static.

Well, that was one of the clear reasons JFK took on LBJ as his running mate in 1960, that & a pipeline into the Senate.

If you look at the last 20 or so years, you would be hard pressed to find many VPs who were selected based on needing to win a swing state. That includes Lieberman, Cheney, Biden, Palin, Pence, and Vance. The only ones that may incidentally look like they're from swing states were Edwards and Ryan, but they were probably chosen because Kerry and Romney felt comfortable with them, as opposed to them being from a make or break swing state.

If you look at the last 20 or so years, you would be hard pressed to find many VPs who were selected based on needing to win a swing state. That includes Lieberman, Cheney, Biden, Palin, Pence, and Vance. The only ones that may incidentally look like they're from swing states were Edwards and Ryan, but they were probably chosen because Kerry and Romney felt comfortable with them, as opposed to them being from a make or break swing state.
I getcha in regards to recent elections.

Republican voters are so stupid they'll think she's picked Ben Shapiro as her VP and vote for her.

Would tune in and show a lot more interest in the election if she did. What a ticket that would be.

I am starting to lean into the Harris/Shapiro ticket now as well. Access to all the money immediately, he already has an appeal to PA voters which they need to lean into hard for the swing states. Ill go ahead and donate again as soon as she announces officially.

The thing is there is no time at all to "convince" anyone to get in there. The next candidate has to want this RIGHT NOW. They have to be vetted and ready to drop everything immediately. They will need to fundraise hard immediately, and get to swing states etc. build whatever on the ground apparatus they need. And then the DNC as well will have to rearrange to continue supporting all the Congressional campaigns needed to take the House and keep the Senate and possibly more hundreds of millions for the top of the ticket.

They will have to quickly create a "winning campaign team", vet VPs and pick one in weeks.

Asked the same question earlier.

I’m happy Joe stepped down as he really is too old for a job of that level. However the double standards are crazy. Just because Trump is covered in fake tan and pumped full of amphetamines, so is more high energy, doesn’t mean he isn’t half senile too. Hell if you actually try to read one of his speeches instead of listening it reads like an overblown parody of a James Joyce novel.

Obviously the republican media will be more kind to there guy but all other media should be driving his mental capacity home just as much as what happened with Biden.

Was anyone excited about Biden in 2016?

I didn’t like Harris as a VP pick, don’t like her for the presidency. But I’ll vote for whoever is picked.

Biden’s genius was being even more populist than Trump, we need the candidate to make it clear they will continue in that vein.

Just so depressing that neither party can put a human you’d admire up for the presidency.
Tbf, many admire Trump.

But jokes aside, I think "admiration" is not the right requirement for a presidential candidate. Smacks of the current reality-show nature of politics and news all over the world.

Imo, they need relevant political experience and willingness to do what they believe is best for the country. Anything beyond that feels like romanticizing the office just because of the remarkable stories we've heard about the presidents of the past. It's often the hard decisions they take while in office that brings them the admiration years later. Not before running.

I saw another poster bemoaning the lack of great candidates in their lifetime. Even Lincoln wasn't quite universally admired iirc.

I’m happy Joe stepped down as he really is too old for a job of that level. However the double standards are crazy. Just because Trump is covered in fake tan and pumped full of amphetamines, so is more high energy, doesn’t mean he isn’t half senile too. Hell if you actually try to read one of his speeches instead of listening it reads like an overblown parody of a James Joyce novel.

Obviously the republican media will be more kind to there guy but all other media should be driving his mental capacity home just as much as what happened with Biden.
But Trump is not senile. He is a narcissistic liar who cares only about himself, he might be a complete psycho, but that doesn't make him senile.

The senile piece of shit really took his time.

Get fecked, you genocide enabler. May you never have a peaceful night until the day you kick the bucket.

If Trumps age is their big tactic, it won't work either. There was a massive difference between Bidens decline and Trumps.

:lol: Not a single mention of Roy Cooper since the announcement. Y'all are sleeping on my boy. He's won every race he's run in since 1986.

If Trumps age is their big tactic, it won't work either. There was a massive difference between Bidens decline and Trumps.

That's true. Trump is nearly as old as Biden but he presents much better, even by Trump idiocy standards.

Put a coherent,politically inteligent, sharp person up there and I still think you can get at Trump quite comfortably.
He's really not unbeatable. He's not savvy. He's a incoherent blabber mouth who hates talking about actual policies.
He just wants to ramble on about immagrants in caravans, great white sharks, batteries and dodging bullets Matrix style.

There’s not actually that much difference. Trump has been making similar mistakes for the last 4+ years, getting names wrong and generally saying completely illogical or batshit crazy nonsense, the difference is that the media reporting it has been met with fatigue and Republicans just don’t care.