Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

GOAT without a doubt.

To be clocking up the statistics he does, in the modern game is just breathtakingly insane.

It should be so much harder to stand out as an individual in modern football these days compared to generations past, seeing as EVERYBODY at the top level is now a full-on professional athlete. But Ronaldo and Messi continue to clock up crazy goalscoring and assist statistics with the Portuguese a better player than the Argentine in my opinion. Always was, to be fair.

Ronnie will always have this over Messi; he proved to be the best player in the world in different teams, in different leagues, in different countries.

Ronaldo's the greatest ever.

I agree with this, there was a poster I think @Brwned? who said Ronaldo matching Messi's Ballon d'Or tally after 2012 is the greatest individual achievement in any sport and I completely agree with that. I see a lot of people putting him down but by the time he hangs up his boots, the record he'd have set up, the honors he would have won would automatically bring him into contention.

Yeah, back in 2014 my view was that Ronaldo matching Messi's Ballon d'Or record would be the biggest achievement in football history:

I've not watched a whole lot of Madrid this season but from the little I saw it looks like Ronaldo's better than ever. I'm not sure he'll do it but for me it would be a truly astonishing feat if he managed to end his career with as many Ballon D'ors as Messi. It'd be perhaps the greatest achievement I've ever witnessed in football. Messi for me at his peak was a level above and had so much more to his game because the combination of being a supreme goalscorer and a top class playmaker is something very, very few players manage, and from a subjective point of view that's the pinnacle for me, but if Ronaldo managed to pull back level on Ballon D'ors it would tell you all you need to know about Ronaldo. He's just a relentless competitor, and it's entirely plausible that he could edge ahead of Messi in terms of longevity with the way things are going.

Given Messi came back as good as ever the following season, the fact Ronaldo's pulled himself back level again is beyond anything I could've imagined, personally. His performances in the CL knockout rounds must be up there with the best in European cup history, if not the best? My view still is that Messi was better when they were young, was better at his peak and will end his career at a similarly high level, injuries permitting, so he's the better player.

In terms of "greatness", Ronaldo's moved ahead as far as I'm concerned. Back to back CL's for the first time with a first international tournament win for his home nation sandwiched in between is incredible.

Anyone that calls any of this players "The GOAT" is biased. There's no way in hell you can rate anyone as the GOAT when you have 3 or 4 players that have so many solid arguments in their favor aswell.

Combined with longevity at the top level, Ronaldo and Messi are surely above the other GOAT contenders.

Now between the two, it's like comparing OS X to Windows. You know which one is better, but the lesser one make more use of what it can do best. So the line between better, more successful, and which one is the best become intangible. The never ending bickering between their fanboys are pretty similar, though ;).

Last edited:
Combined with longevity at the top level, Ronaldo and Messi are surely above the other GOAT contenders.

I'd argue that Cristiano and Messi still have a few more years to go before they reach the longevity at high level as Pele and Di Stefano.

I'd argue that Cristiano and Messi still have a few more years to go before they reach the longevity at high level as Pele and Di Stefano.
I don't consider Di Stefano as the GOAT contender. He's one of the GOAT, though.
With Pele, it's hard to judge his performance season after season, with the lack of coverage at his time. Maybe it's just my ignorance.

He was incredible the past couple of months. Ultimately success on the field matters and Ronaldo's past year has been impeccable. Messi would be a bit jealous of that. He will never be as good as Messi for me but he is incredible either way.

My view is Messi with the ball at his feet is a better player. But as a overall player, Cristiano wins it for me.

Plus Ronaldo won it first and so far last so hes been better longer.

Looking at the last 2 years in isolation do people still think Messi is indisputably better?
Or even better at all?

I don't consider Di Stefano as the GOAT contender. He's one of the GOAT, though.
With Pele, it's hard to judge his performance season after season, with the lack of coverage at his time. Maybe it's just my ignorance.

Well if CR counts as a GOAT contender then Di Stefano surely does as well.

Also I was thinking off the top of mind, the most impressive longevity has to be Paolo Maldini. 20 years separates his 5th CL win from his first Serie A win with an abundance of individual and team awards all throughout that time. I know he's a defender so overlooked in the greatest debates but to me, his longevity is unsurpassed.

He has been scoring a lot. But, honestly, I really liked his Manchester United version more. He was so exciting to watch. Beating players, running at defenders, heading corners, he was everywhere.

Now, he just stands there waiting for the perfect goal scoring opportunity. Like, yesterday I was watching Real seriously after a long time and I wanted to see more of Ronaldo. I had missed the first few minutes. I found everyone on the ball but him. I had to strain my eyes to pick out Ronaldo. He just hovered around the penalty area. Even Casemiro, who is limited with the ball was seen trying to make runs.

Then, of course, he scored. His will and determination to win is admirable. He would improve us instantly. Not by doing that much with the ball, but he would drive the entire team ahead and even with the current team having Lingard, Fellaini, Rooney etc, our level would definitely go up by a few notches.

As a player though, currently, I find watching Messi far more entertaining. Like yesterday too, Isco, Modric, Marcelo were far more exciting to watch than Ronaldo. However, it was Ronaldo involvement which won them the match.

Now, he just stands there waiting for the perfect goal scoring opportunity. Like, yesterday

He wasn't just standing for both his goals yestarday, Real Madrid was playing on the purple uniform and maybe you confused him with Dyabala or Higuaín. :lol:

GOAT without a doubt.

To be clocking up the statistics he does, in the modern game is just breathtakingly insane.

It should be so much harder to stand out as an individual in modern football these days compared to generations past, seeing as EVERYBODY at the top level is now a full-on professional athlete. But Ronaldo and Messi continue to clock up crazy goalscoring and assist statistics with the Portuguese a better player than the Argentine in my opinion. Always was, to be fair.

Ronnie will always have this over Messi; he proved to be the best player in the world in different teams, in different leagues, in different countries.

Ronaldo's the greatest ever.

It's actually easier now. More goals scored, teams pick and choose one player to 'rest' while others do dirty work for them.

For instance Neymar's statistics in Brazil already far surpass Zico or Ronaldo at same age. Is he a better player? Ofc not. There are countless examples.

Looking at the last 2 years in isolation do people still think Messi is indisputably better?
Or even better at all?
I do. I feel like Messi provides the goals Ronaldo does, but also is just better at everything else. He's better at dribbling which can cause the defense to collapse, and his passing is insane. Ronaldo over the years has turned into a pure goal scorer and that's fine as goals are really really important, but if Messi is providing in that area too I can't argue in favor of Ronaldo. I don't think goals are the only things that matter and I'm sure most agree with that. Messi and Ronaldo score so many goals that it rules out (for good reason) many creative players from being considered on their level, but when deciding on those two I'll favor the guy who provides more than just goals.

That's a different discussion from the Balon D'or as obviously trophies are important. Particularly this year Ronaldo has never had a stronger case for it because I felt his performances in last year's CL final to be really awful. The Euro finals he was understandably a non-factor.

I do. I feel like Messi provides the goals Ronaldo does, but also is just better at everything else. He's better at dribbling which can cause the defense to collapse, and his passing is insane. Ronaldo over the years has turned into a pure goal scorer and that's fine as goals are really really important, but if Messi is providing in that area too I can't argue in favor of Ronaldo. I don't think goals are the only things that matter and I'm sure most agree with that. Messi and Ronaldo score so many goals that it rules out (for good reason) many creative players from being considered on their level, but when deciding on those two I'll favor the guy who provides more than just goals.

That's a different discussion from the Balon D'or as obviously trophies are important. Particularly this year Ronaldo has never had a stronger case for it because I felt his performances in last year's CL final to be really awful. The Euro finals he was understandably a non-factor.
That's why Ronaldo had the second most assists for Real Madrid in the Champions League and La Liga this season with 12 (behind Kroos' 13) because he's just a pure goal scorer? Or what about last season when he led the team with 15?

Saying he is nothing more than a goal scorer is pure ignorance.

Not in the last stages of the CL though. Ronaldo scores much more in the quarters, semis and finals, more than twice as many.

Not in the last stages of the CL though. Ronaldo scores much more in the quarters, semis and finals, more than twice as many.
I know which i part of the reason why I think Ronaldo deserves it this year.

That's why Ronaldo had the second most assists for Real Madrid in the Champions League and La Liga this season with 12 (behind Kroos' 13) because he's just a pure goal scorer? Or what about last season when he led the team with 15?

Saying he is nothing more than a goal scorer is pure ignorance.
Assists can be misleading. It's like thinking Pogba didn't create as much as he did due to low assists. His chance creation was great as we who watch United matches would attest to. Messi's was far above Ronaldo's this season and if you watch him play (or look at keypasses/chances created stats) you would see that. I don't want to make it out like Ronaldo is like Chicharito, but his creativity on the ball is far from what it was in 2007.

Again, this is a separate argument from the Balon D'or as it's an award based on trophies and on the calendar year, rather than the whole season. When I look at what both players offer, I'm sorry, but I have to side with Messi.

The way the Messi brigade goes on about it, you'd have thought goal scoring is just some kind of secondary biproduct of football, rather than the be-all-and-end-all aim. :rolleyes:
Hm i think Messi scores a shite load of goals too. And will most likely finish his career with more than Ronaldo.

Anyway, 'GOAT' is about footballing ability. With a ball at his feet Messi is comfortably the best ever. He can do things with a football Ronaldo can only dream of. Ronaldo is pretty much nothing but a terrifyingly amazing goalscorer.

Hm i think Messi scores a shite load of goals too. And will most likely finish his career with more than Ronaldo.

Anyway, 'GOAT' is about footballing ability. With a ball at his feet Messi is comfortably the best ever. He can do things with a football Ronaldo can only dream of. Ronaldo is pretty much nothing but a terrifyingly amazing goalscorer.
Yeah, completely useless.

I know which i part of the reason why I think Ronaldo deserves it this year.

Assists can be misleading. It's like thinking Pogba didn't create as much as he did due to low assists. His chance creation was great as we who watch United matches would attest to. Messi's was far above Ronaldo's this season and if you watch him play (or look at keypasses/chances created stats) you would see that. I don't want to make it out like Ronaldo is like Chicharito, but his creativity on the ball is far from what it was in 2007.

Again, this is a separate argument from the Balon D'or as it's an award based on trophies and on the calendar year, rather than the whole season. When I look at what both players offer, I'm sorry, but I have to side with Messi.

It's not only about this year though. Ronaldo scores much more goals than Messi when it comes to the crunch games in the CL. Period. (37:16)

Messi fanboys get two crucial facts wrong:

1. Messi scores as many as Ronaldo.

That's true about lesser games, not in the final stages of the CL.

2. Ronaldo is nothing but a goalscorer.

Yet Ronaldo has provided most assists in the CL. Obviously, he's much more than a goalscorer. He's not a better verson of Huntelaar or Higuain.

It's not only about this year though. Ronaldo scores much more goals than Messi when it comes to the crunch games in the CL. Period. (37:16)
Messi isn't just a goal scorer though. Messi didn't score against Juve in his CL win, but he was amazing. He only scored 1 goal against United in 2011, but we all know how amazing he was throughout the match in that final. Similarly, Ronaldo didn't play well in the first two CL wins for Real Madrid, but scored a goal in each one. This year I felt he came up clutch with 2 immense goals and he wasn't a negative on the ball like he was the other two CL finals. I think this year's final was more like his United finals performance, which was great.

I think you're letting this current streak from Ronaldo in the CL to cloud your judgement. Ronaldo came up big this time, but he isn't like this every year and neither is Messi.

Messi fanboys get two crucial facts wrong:

1. Messi scores as many as Ronaldo.

That's true about lesser games, not in the final stages of the CL.

2. Ronaldo is nothing but a goalscorer.

Yet Ronaldo has provided most assists in the CL. Obviously, he's much more than a goalscorer. He's not a better verson of Huntelaar or Higuain.

I'm not a Messi fanboy, but keep on yelling at imaginary people. I'm just using my observation of their performances and relevant statistics to decide on the topic. Someone brought up if Ronaldo was better, I disagreed. I pointed out Messi's all around game, and I know you have no argument for it. I can post key passes or chances created stats if you want me too. I can post dribbling statistics if you want me too.

I would do the same for Pogba in the narrative that is labeled at him from other fans.

BTW, the CL isn't the only thing that matters. There are other competitions you could bother to look at. Those games have important matches too so not sure what you're going on about.

Last edited:
Messi isn't just a goal scorer though. Messi didn't score against Juve in his CL win, but he was amazing. He only scored 1 goal against United in 2011, but we all know how amazing he was throughout the match in that final. Similarly, Ronaldo didn't play well in the first two CL wins for Real Madrid, but scored a goal in each one. This year I felt he came up clutch with 2 immense goals and he wasn't a negative on the ball like he was the other two CL finals. I think this year's final was more like his United finals performance, which was great.

I think you're letting this current streak from Ronaldo in the CL to cloud your judgement. Ronaldo came up big this time, but he isn't like this every year and neither is Messi.

I'm not a Messi fanboy, but keep on yelling at imaginary people. I'm just using my observation of their performances and relevant statistics to decide on the topic. Someone brought up if Ronaldo was better, I disagreed. I pointed out Messi's all around game, and I know you have no argument for it. I can post key passes or chances created stats if you want me too. I can post dribbling statistics if you want me too.

I would do the same for Pogba in the narrative that is labeled at him from other fans.

BTW, the CL isn't the only thing that matters. There are other competitions you could bother to look at. Those games have important matches too so not sure what you're going on about.

Where was Messi's all-around game when Atleti beat them twice in the CL recently? When was it when PSG embarassed them 4:0 (and it was Neymar who made the difference in the second leg, not Messi). Where was his all-around game vs Juve? Messi tends to be the most expensive passenger in some crunch games. Ronaldo may have a bad day at the office but he is never a passenger.

The best should be the best in the best tournaments. The CL is the best tournament. The final stages of the best tournaments include normally the best games. Ronaldo being better than Messi in these games (again, 37:16 is a HUGE diference) is a big argument that Ronaldo is at least about as good as Messi for all the passess and dribbles of the Argentine. I'm not against Messi and I'm on record saying that he's arguably the best ever. But I've also argued that there isn't much between them, especially with the latest CL campaign in mind.

Where was Messi's all-around game when Atleti beat them twice in the CL recently? When was it when PSG embarassed them 4:0 (and it was Neymar who made the difference in the second leg, not Messi). Where was his all-around game vs Juve? Messi tends to be the most expensive passenger in some crunch games. Ronaldo may have a bad day at the office but he is never a passenger.

The best should be the best in the best tournaments. The CL is the best tournament. The final stages of the best tournaments include normally the best games. Ronaldo being better than Messi in these games (again, 37:16 is a HUGE diference) is a big argument that Ronaldo is at least about as good as Messi for all the passess and dribbles of the Argentine. I'm not against Messi and I'm on record saying that he's arguably the best ever. But I've also argued that there isn't much between them, especially with the latest CL campaign in mind.
I already acknowledged Messi's CL performances or lack there of outside the group stages. I also acknowledged Ronaldo's CL performances. I was arguing about the other important games like the Classico match that was important even if it didn't win them the league, or the cup final. Again, go look at my comment again. I said "I think you're letting this current streak from Ronaldo in the CL to cloud your judgement. Ronaldo came up big this time, but he isn't like this every year and neither is Messi." I don't think it's fair to just look at this year's CL big games and point the finger at Messi like this is how Messi always performs in big matches and that is how Ronaldo always performs in big matches.

The comment I was responding to was pointing out the last two seasons. Not just this year. I won't just ignore league competitions or cup competitions when making my decision. I won't ignore the rest of what Messi provides apart from goals scored. Because that discussion is separate from the Balon D'or which puts more emphasis on which trophies are won.

Ignoring the domestic cup competition as squawka doesn't have those stats, Messi in 1350 minutes less played, had 8 less goals, 47 more chances created and 210 more dribbles than Ronaldo. I just feel one player is clearly more productive or more influential in the games he plays over an entire season.

Messi doesn't deserve the Balon D'or this year because in 2017 Ronaldo has won the CL and had a huge impact in practically every game in the latter stages including the final. This was different from last year where he was a non factor in the Euro finals and wasn't good in the CL finals. Those two trophies swung it in his favor along with Messi failing in the final of the Copa America.

why is dribbling suddenly considered more imortant than scoring goals? :rolleyes:

:nono: GOAT is about achieving the greatest feats.

Ronaldo has achieved more than Messi in their respective careers.

Ignoring the domestic cup competition as squawka doesn't have those stats, Messi in 1350 minutes less played, had 8 less goals, 47 more chances created and 210 more dribbles than Ronaldo. I just feel one player is clearly more productive or more influential in the games he plays over an entire season.

not sure where you got this? assuming you mean CL+La Liga , this season they played more or less the same no. of minutes?

I already acknowledged Messi's CL performances or lack there of outside the group stages. I also acknowledged Ronaldo's CL performances. I was arguing about the other important games like the Classico match that was important even if it didn't win them the league, or the cup final. Again, go look at my comment again. I said "I think you're letting this current streak from Ronaldo in the CL to cloud your judgement. Ronaldo came up big this time, but he isn't like this every year and neither is Messi." I don't think it's fair to just look at this year's CL big games and point the finger at Messi like this is how Messi always performs in big matches and that is how Ronaldo always performs in big matches.

The comment I was responding to was pointing out the last two seasons. Not just this year. I won't just ignore league competitions or cup competitions when making my decision. I won't ignore the rest of what Messi provides apart from goals scored. Because that discussion is separate from the Balon D'or which puts more emphasis on which trophies are won.

Messi doesn't deserve the Balon D'or this year because in 2017 Ronaldo has won the CL and had a huge impact in practically every game in the latter stages including the final. This was different from last year where he was a non factor in the Euro finals and wasn't good in the CL finals. Those two trophies swung it in his favor along with Messi failing in the final of the Copa America.
Even excluding this season, Ronaldo was ahead of Messi by 27:16 in the CL QF onwards.

As for the Euro finals, I fail to comprehend how the top scorer of the winning team can be a 'non factor'. :rolleyes:

One of the GOATs beyond a shadow of a doubt. He is in that category now after that win.

Even excluding this season, Ronaldo was ahead of Messi by 27:16 in the CL QF onwards.

As for the Euro finals, I fail to comprehend how the top scorer of the winning team can be a 'non factor'. :rolleyes:
I meant the actual finals.

GOAT can mean a lot of things. I think achievements play a huge part obviously too. However, Ronaldo hasn't achieved more at this point in their careers. It's possible he does, but right now Messi is 2 years younger. We'll have to wait for their careers to end. Messi's age might allow him to gather up more trophies and awards, or perhaps Ronaldo outlasts Messi and wins more trophies.

why is dribbling suddenly considered more imortant than scoring goals? :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone is saying that. Goals are the most important thing. However, when one guy provides just about as much as another, but also provides in other areas that helps your team win matches, well....

It's like thinking Hugo Sanchez was better than Maradona in the 80s. An incredible scorer and player, but the guy creating that much more chances is the better player. Is it fair to say that goals aren't the only things that matter? It's possible to have a huge affect on the match without scoring and I think Messi does it more often which is why I consider him the best player.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying that. Goals are the most important thing. However, when one guy provides just about as much as another, but also provides in other areas that helps your team win matches, well....

It's like thinking Hugo Sanchez was better than Maradona in the 80s. An incredible scorer and player, but the guy creating that much more chances is the better player. Is it fair to say that goals aren't the only things that matter? It's possible to have a huge affect on the match without scoring and I think Messi does it more often which is why I consider him the best player.

Messi's dribbling means that in many games he turns into a passenger without the ball. Both offensively and defensively. This is tactical and it's done so he's fresh when he gets the ball to be able to get past players and make better decisions but as briliant as he is on the ball, it doesn't justify it in my opinion. It may be better for him but it's not better for the team. When you're the leader of a team that has been having problems dominating games and you're the one who runs the least amount of distance in your team it should raise questions. It would be fine if this only happened in the easier games but it doesn't.

Cristiano doesn't create as much as Messi but scoring goals and creating chances aren't the only two things that matter in football. Cristiano's movement off the ball makes it easier for their other players to create, he improves his team in both offensive and defensive set pieces where 20% of goals in football come from and he's more decisive than Messi in the most important moments. It's not as simple as you say and when it's this close it becomes subjective depending on what you value more.

Messi's dribbling means that in many games he turns into a passenger without the ball. Both offensively and defensively. This is tactical and it's done so he's fresh when he gets the ball to be able to get past players and make better decisions but as briliant as he is on the ball, it doesn't justify it in my opinion. It may be better for him but it's not better for the team. When you're the leader of a team that has been having problems dominating games and you're the one who runs the least amount of distance in your team it should raise questions. It would be fine if this only happened in the easier games but it doesn't.

Cristiano doesn't create as much as Messi but scoring goals and creating chances aren't the only two things that matter in football. Cristiano's movement off the ball makes it easier for their other players to create, he improves his team in both offensive and defensive set pieces where 20% of goals in football come from and he's more decisive than Messi in the most important moments. It's not as simple as you say and when it's this close it becomes subjective depending on what you value more.
I get what you're saying, but it's not like Ronaldo works a lot on the defensive side. He's been getting a free pass on that end for years because he's so good at scoring. The same is true for Messi. The same was true for Hazard. Those kinds of players will get that kind of freedom. Messi is also better at providing an outlet in crowded situations for his teammates because he's much better technically than Ronaldo. Apart from that, Messi is also flat out more involved in building up attacks though I don't want to overstate it like he's Zidane in that regard, because he's not.

He's not a better verson of Huntelaar or Higuain.
He IS a better version of Higuain(right now. Peak Cris was another matter). You're seriously underrating Higuain here

He will never be considered as such. He seems to be an utter prick to the public, he's arrogant on the field, his alround game has regressed since joining Madrid. He just doesn't have the flair Messi, Maradona or Pele had.

Might be unfair, but it's still true. A lot of people just really, really hate him.

Similarly, Ronaldo didn't play well in the first two CL wins for Real Madrid, but scored a goal in each one. This year I felt he came up clutch with 2 immense goals and he wasn't a negative on the ball like he was the other two CL finals. I think this year's final was more like his United finals performance, which was great.
Wrong. First, he only scored in Lisbon, second, in Lisbon he was playing through injury but he had a good game overall. He played within his means and did really well. Created a couple big chances for Bale to squander, too, and he was the one who won the ball back near our own corner kick in the second extra time which began the play that resulted in Bale's go-ahead goal

He was rubbish in Milan, yes. He just was never fit that whole season

@fcbforever his game has regressed due to age. If anything, his ability to adapt to it and still remain at this level should be seen as further proof of his greatness. But i agree with the gist of your post otherwise...

finally, last post on this thread: Messi had the best individual game of the year -the clasico, where he ascended to the heavens and morphed into the Sun God-. Cristiano had the best 2 months stretch of the year. Who's better? Who cares

Last edited: