Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

This has been debunked too many times. I'm so lazy right now, I won't start this discussion all over again.

Many people prefer the fat Ronaldo, I'm one of them. He is only less than Messi for me.

In my lifetime there has been 3 players which stood out as being the best I could possibly have seen.

In no particular order:

Fat Ron
CR7
Messi

And I have seen all three playing in the flesh. Each one was a freak in their own unique way.
For me I can't pick one to be the best as they are all just insane footballers.

Most of the people are cnuts with nothing better to do in their life so I'm not surprised if they judge someone whom they have never seen or met.
We all have the right to judge others. It's called an opinion. I think Joey Barton is a total, class-a cnut. Never met the man.

He was so average in Real's last 2 wins before this one.

Messi is definitely better in everything he does, but Ronaldo is in the top top echelons of football. In terms of scoring, consistency and match-winning he is up there with the best ever to lace up boots. But Messi is still better at everything by quite a distance except maybe goal scoring.

He's better on the ball, at dribbling, at shooting, at passing, at taking on men, at penalties, at free-kicks...Ronaldo only does one thing equally well - goalscoring, and one thing better - heading.

Messi is also 3 years younger nearly and will finish his career with more goals in major leagues than Ronaldo.

Let's judge when the stories are over. And then Messi will still be much better.

I support neither United, Madrid or Barça, btw.
You are mistaken about penalties. CR7 is far ahead of LM10 in that department

Messi is definitely better in everything he does, but Ronaldo is in the top top echelons of football. In terms of scoring, consistency and match-winning he is up there with the best ever to lace up boots. But Messi is still better at everything by quite a distance except maybe goal scoring.

He's better on the ball, at dribbling, at shooting, at passing, at taking on men, at penalties, at free-kicks...Ronaldo only does one thing equally well - goalscoring, and one thing better - heading.

Messi is also 3 years younger nearly and will finish his career with more goals in major leagues than Ronaldo.

Let's judge when the stories are over. And then Messi will still be much better.

I'd like to know where this myth that Messi is better at free kicks than Cristiano started. I guess if you say it enough people start believing it, even this season where Messi is apparently brilliant at them and Cristiano terrible, Messi scored 5 and Cristiano 4. Career wise Cristiano scored 57 to Messi's 33. And better at penalties? What? Cristiano has a much better percentage. Cristiano is better off the ball, better in set piece situations, performs better in the bigger matches... you missed a few things. Saying Messi is better at everything than CR7 is just ridiculous.

It's funny how now everyone rates ex Real Madrid players I'm sure you never saw regularly just to underrate Ronaldo. Personally I would pick Zidane over Cristiano, or any other player for that matter, but that just sentimentalism on my behalf and objectively speaking Cristiano Ronaldo has contributed more than Ronaldo and Zidane ever did, not that I don't value the latter players but they were part of the first generations of Galacticos and for the team we had there's this feeling we didn't achieve as much as we should with them.

I don't know if you do realize we have won 3 UCL in the span of 4 years while with fat Ronaldo we weren't doing so hot and great part of our current success is because Cristiano is part of the team and has been leading our front line since he arrived. He now shined like no one ever had in the most important matches but the last seasons he was doing the same at the beginning, but the fact remains he always has contributed a lot to the team and he doesn't get enough credit for the chances he creates or his crosses. And for some of your posts and I'm almost dead certain you guys don't even bother watching him play.

I'd like to know where this myth that Messi is better at free kicks than Cristiano started. I guess if you say it enough people start believing it, even this season where Messi is apparently brilliant at them and Cristiano terrible, Messi scored 5 and Cristiano 4. Career wise Cristiano scored 57 to Messi's 33. And better at penalties? What? Cristiano has a much better percentage. Cristiano is better off the ball, better in set piece situations, performs better in the bigger matches... you missed a few things. Saying Messi is better at everything than CR7 is just ridiculous.
You're joking right?

Pele put up Rooney numbers in the easiest league in the world (USA), whilst Ronaldo is dropping CL like they are hot.

He only went to the USA when he was 35 FFS :lol:. Nevermind that he was winning a World Cup aged 17, winning a third one 12 years later, and putting up ridiculous numbers and big game performances at club level in between. With Ronaldo it is always polemic.

I am not going to disagree with some of it, but you are wrong about Messi being better at penalties, and arguable at free-kicks too. Also, you also miss out some of the more subtle qualities of football, such as off the ball movement, determination and drive, which are also big factors in influencing the outcomes of games, which IMHO Ronaldo are better.

It's not even close anymore. Similar peak levels, the difference is that one lasted 2 or 3 years and the other 10. Consistency, numbers and achievement wise there's only one winner. Cristiano scored more Champions League goals in the year of La Decima than Ronaldo Fenomeno in his entire career. At 32, he just led Real Madrid to their first league-CL double since 1958. At 32 Ronaldo Fenomeno was enjoying the sunshine and women in Brazil. And those 70% you just made up are nonsense too, you wouldn't get those numbers in Brazil nevermind on neutral forums
And performance wise there's only one winner. Cristiano never had that capacity to skin a defence the way Ronaldo did. You can make a decent case that Cristiano trumps Ronaldo in the all-time stakes based on the totality of his output and longevity, but it's hard to claim that they hit a similar peak performance level.

I value peak over consistency. If my life depended on it I rather have Ronaldo (90s) on my team.
In a discussion of greatest of all time, longevity and consistency has to count for a lot. Cristiano Ronaldo has that perfect balance of insane peak levels, ridiculous consistency and by now longevity as well. Messi too of course.

Yeah dude, Cristiano had a much better team in his prime than Ronaldo. When Ronaldo had a great team, he won the world cup as top scorer.

If you want to compare their spells at Madrid, when Ronaldo basically had an amputated knee, go ahead.

That's your argument ?

And performance wise there's only one winner. Cristiano never had that capacity to skin a defence the way Ronaldo did. You can make a decent case that Cristiano trumps Ronaldo in the all-time stakes based on the totality of his output and longevity, but it's hard to claim that they hit a similar peak performance level.

Basically, you are saying that R9's best games are better than R7 best games. Examples?

He is certainly one of the greatest. I don't think there is one GOAT. It's impossible. Different eras, different opposition, different rules in a lot of cases and different set ups.

There is an argument that he is greater than Messi now, even though I think Messi is a superior footballer. On achievements and career wise, he has probably achieved more. Plus, the media have a say in the legacy of people and Ronaldo is the current poster boy so he will be remembered as a GOAT.

I still remember noone was calling Maradona the GOAt, people just said he was one of the best players of all time, then his myth got revised by the media. In fact, before 1986 he was seen as a player that failed to live up to his potential and Platini was comfortably rated higher then him. It's crazy that if either CR or Messi were busted with PEDS, took cocaine and were linked with Mafia they would be killed by the media instead noone brings any of that up when talking about Maradona because ENgland have a hard on for anyone that does well against them

Your joking right?. You either have a terribly short memory or are being blinded by Ronnie's brilliant performances of late. Messi is the ultimate big game player. Not only does he create and control the tempo of attacks, he causes panic and destabilizes defenses all because people are petrified to let him get in a one on one situation. Add to that hes an incredibly composed and lethal finisher. There are performances Messi has had in the latter stages of champions league that not only Ronnie has never had, But no one has.

[edit Just realised this isn't the messi vs ronaldo thread, Sorry]

Last edited:
His performances in the CL knockout rounds must be up there with the best in European cup history, if not the best?
Probably the best in the new format.

Puskas/Di Stefano in 1959/60 deserve a mention from the old days, with Di Stefano playing his unique box-to-box striker's role
1/8 over the 2 legs (subpar opposition): Puskas 4 goals Di Stefano 2
1/4 against a great Nice side, Puskas over 2 legs, Di Stefano missed one: 1 goal each
1/2 against an amazing Barcelona side with Suarez and Kocsis, over the 2 legs: Puskas 3 goals, Di Stefano 2
Final against Eintracht that destroyed Rangers 12:4 in the semis: Puskas 4 goals, Di Stefano 3

It's just the eye test, man.

There's nothing compelling about that. Cristiano has been playing at a world class level for a decade and counting. L. Ronaldo, despite being one of the best strikers of all time, was blighted by injury for much of his career. If you take L. Ronaldo's one great season at Barca (47 goals), Cristiano has produced that for about 8 years. There simply is no contest here, which isn't L. Ronaldo's fault since he was injured a lot.

This is a strange post. Proclaims Messi to be better than Ronaldo at everything, then concedes that Ronaldo's better at heading (also ignoring strength, free kicks, penalties etc.)

Then you say let's judge who's better in the future but declare Messi will still be better anyway.

Odd.

Messi and Ronaldo, in their own ways, are the two greatest players of all time. No other way of concluding it.

Ronaldo is better than Messi at many things. First, he is a supreme athlete: very strong, tall, with a great stamina. In comparison, Messi is a midget who looks very strong on the ball and quick over short distances but is nowhere near Ronaldo's physical presence. Second, Ronaldo has a much higher work rate. Messi walks half of the time and regularly finishes games with the worst stats in terms of covered distance. Only the keepers run less than Messi. Third, Ronaldo is much better in the air and that's a quality that is often underestimated. Fourth, Ronaldo is more two-footed than Messi. If there are stats out there about their goals with the weaker foot, Ronaldo will be on top. Thus, Ronaldo is much more likely to score in different ways: right foot, left foot, head. Messi is mostly about his left foot. Fifth, Ronaldo is better at pens. Sixth, Ronaldo is much stronger mentally. In terms of hunger and determination, of will to win he is better than Messi every day of the week. Seven, and most importantly, Ronaldo has done much better in the final stages of the best club tournament in history: the CL. From quarter to final it's 37:16 Ronaldo. Even before the last season, it was 27:16 Ronaldo. So, no, it wasn't only about last season. Ronaldo's 10 goals in 5 games vs 3 of the best teams in the world are comparable to Maradona's feat in '86. For all his brilliance, Messi hasn't had such success in a big club or international competition.

All this doesn't mean that Ronaldo is better than Messi. But it means that Messi fans tend to underestimate him. IMO, there isn't much between them.

BUT if Ronaldo wins the CL for a third time in a row next season, he will surpass Messi.

Edit: Eighth, Ronaldo's off the ball movement is absolutely sensational. Ronaldo scores more goals than any other forward not because he is the best finisher but because he is on the end of most chances which he co-creates with his movement.

Last edited:
There's nothing compelling about that. Cristiano has been playing at a world class level for a decade and counting. L. Ronaldo, despite being one of the best strikers of all time, was blighted by injury for much of his career. If you take L. Ronaldo's one great season at Barca (47 goals), Cristiano has produced that for about 8 years. There simply is no contest here, which isn't L. Ronaldo's fault since he was injured a lot.

Why do some people call him L. Ronaldo? His proper surname is Nazário or techincally Nazário de Lima.

It's funny how now everyone rates ex Real Madrid players I'm sure you never saw regularly just to underrate Ronaldo. Personally I would pick Zidane over Cristiano, or any other player for that matter, but that just sentimentalism on my behalf and objectively speaking Cristiano Ronaldo has contributed more than Ronaldo and Zidane ever did, not that I don't value the latter players but they were part of the first generations of Galacticos and for the team we had there's this feeling we didn't achieve as much as we should with them.

I don't know if you do realize we have won 3 UCL in the span of 4 years while with fat Ronaldo we weren't doing so hot and great part of our current success is because Cristiano is part of the team and has been leading our front line since he arrived. He now shined like no one ever had in the most important matches but the last seasons he was doing the same at the beginning, but the fact remains he always has contributed a lot to the team and he doesn't get enough credit for the chances he creates or his crosses. And for some of your posts and I'm almost dead certain you guys don't even bother watching him play.

1. Il Fenomeno - version Madridista - was the player who survived 2 massive knee injuries. With Inter Milan, Prime R9 :drool: was 90% of the offensive power of Inter Milan: Zamorano was on a sharp decline, Djorkaeff decent, poor collective game...

2. I don't believe CR7 is 'underrated': nobody denies his Ballons d'Or. The debate Cr7/Messi is like the debate Pelé/Maradona: personal preferences prevail

Last edited:
If this was basketball, L.Ronaldo was Shaquille O'Neal, short prime but unplayable and dominant physically. Messi is LeBron and Cristiano is Kobe, extremely hard worker but only won when he was paired up with great players, in watered down years.

Cristiano only won when he was paired up with great players, unlike Messi of course who took underdogs Barcelona to success. Cristiano's greatest success came with a midfield of William Carvalho, Renato Sanches and André Gomes. Messi's with a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta.

And he's only ever won in watered down years, despite having won 3 Premier Leagues and 1 Champions League before he was 24. On point, unbiased comparisons right there.

Cristiano only won when he was paired up with great players, unlike Messi of course who took underdogs Barcelona to success. Cristiano's greatest success came with a midfield of William Carvalho, Renato Sanches and André Gomes. Messi's with a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta.

And he's only ever won in watered down years, despite having won 3 Premier Leagues and 1 Champions League before he was 24. On point, unbiased comparisons right there.

Everything went Portugal's way in the Euros, hell if it wasn't for the new rule change they would crash out in the group stages. Iceland scoring in the last minute ensured they were on the much easier path to the final. Croatia was the toughest team they meet before the final and they won that on penalties. Cristiano had a decent tournament but lets face it he wasn't even their best player in the tournament (Pepe), Eder scores the unlikely winner in a dreadful final where France dominate and fail to finish Portugal off. Higuain scores his one vs one against Germany and Argentina win suddenly makes Messi a greater player? Nope, doesn't work like that.

Everything went Portugal's way in the Euros, hell if it wasn't for the new rule change they would crash out in the group stages. Iceland scoring in the last minute ensured they were on the much easier path to the final. Croatia was the toughest team they meet before the final and they won that on penalties. Cristiano had a decent tournament but lets face it he wasn't even their best player in the tournament (Pepe), Eder scores the unlikely winner in a dreadful final where France dominate and fail to finish Portugal off. Higuain scores his one vs one against Germany and Argentina win suddenly makes Messi a greater player? Nope, doesn't work like that.

I agree with that and never said otherwise. I replied to a comment that said Ronaldo only won when paired with great players which is objectively not true. And if you were to say that about either of the two, you'd say it about Messi. His comparisons made no sense

I agree with that and never said otherwise. I replied to a comment that said Ronaldo only won when paired with great players which is objectively not true. And if you were to say that about either of the two, you'd say it about Messi. His comparisons made no sense

Fair enough. Weird point anyway as any player would have a better chance at winning trophies surrounded by other great players.

You are mistaken about penalties. CR7 is far ahead of LM10 in that department
No chance. Their penalty stats are very similar, almost negligible, therefore we choose who we think takes a better spot kick. Ronaldo
This is a strange post. Proclaims Messi to be better than Ronaldo at everything, then concedes that Ronaldo's better at heading (also ignoring strength, free kicks, penalties etc.)

Then you say let's judge who's better in the future but declare Messi will still be better anyway.

Odd.
Not really odd. We can't really judge until their careers are over because they are far from being complete yet. Messi is still in his 20's.

But that doesn't change the facts that Messi is better at pretty much everything. 'strength' etc are largely irrelevant. Didier Drogba and Romelu Lukaku have strength. So what?

Messi is much, much better at free kicks.

Oh, and statistics don't show you everything.

With a ball at his feet, with passing, with movement, with awareness and team play, with assists, dribbling, taking on a man....Messi is just better. It's not even a debate really.

And no, i'm not a 'Messi fanboy'. I just see facts.

If this was basketball, L.Ronaldo was Shaquille O'Neal, short prime but unplayable and dominant physically. Messi is LeBron and Cristiano is Kobe, extremely hard worker but only won when he was paired up with great players, in watered down years.
What a load of bollocks.

Ronaldo only wins when he has great players? He won the Euros with Portugal ffs. They haven't had "good" players since the early 2000s.

Ronaldo would score hat tricks at Oxford United. There's no way Benzema, Bale, Modric etc would have 3 Champions League titles without him. Look at Modric and Bale at Spurs if you want proof. You can't say the same about Ronaldo cause he's won everything elsewhere.

No chance. Their penalty stats are very similar, almost negligible, therefore we choose who we think takes a better spot kick. Ronaldo

Not really odd. We can't really judge until their careers are over because they are far from being complete yet. Messi is still in his 20's.

But that doesn't change the facts that Messi is better at pretty much everything. 'strength' etc are largely irrelevant. Didier Drogba and Romelu Lukaku have strength. So what?

With a ball at his feet, with passing, with movement, with awareness and team play, with assists, dribbling, taking on a man....Messi is just better. It's not even a debate really.

Pretty much all the atributes you mention are subjective but free kicks and penalties are things we can look at pretty objectively. For their whole career Cristiano has scored 100 penalties and missed 22. Messi has scored 78 and missed 21. One is obviously better than the other.

For free kicks, Cristiano has scored 57. Messi has scored 33. Since Cristiano has been in Madrid he has a percentage of 6.7% while Messi has a percentage of 8%. I couldn't find stats for their whole career but considering how much better Cristiano was at it in Manchester and that Messi used to be worse at it, I'd guess the difference is minimal either way. But Cristiano takes them from a longer distance too thus making them more difficult. So how in the world is Messi much better at free kicks than Cristiano?

And yet you end your post by saying you see facts? You're looking at things in the most biased and non factual way possible.

Pretty much all the atributes you mention are subjective but free kicks and penalties are things we can look at pretty objectively. For their whole career Cristiano has scored 100 penalties and missed 22. Messi has scored 78 and missed 21. One is obviously better than the other.

For free kicks, Cristiano has scored 57. Messi has scored 33. Since Cristiano has been in Madrid he has a percentage of 6.7% while Messi has a percentage of 8%. I couldn't find stats for their whole career but considering how much better Cristiano was at it in Manchester and that Messi used to be worse at it, I'd guess the difference is minimal either way. But Cristiano takes them from a longer distance too thus making them more difficult. So how in the world is Messi much better at free kicks than Cristiano?

And yet you end your post by saying you see facts? You're looking at things in the most biased and non factual way possible.
Statistics are pretty much irrelevant. I don't know why so many here thrive on them. 'Cristiano has a similar pass percentage' for example. No mention of the type of pass, the effectiveness of it, the place on the field, the distance of the pass, the difficulty.

Cristiano's free kicks are better because they're further away? Some would argue that makes them easier. Most, probably. Again, you're ignoring context in favour of statistics.

Messi is comfortably better than Ronaldo at pretty much everything. The fact that i mentioned passing, vision, dribbling, taking on a man, assists, goal scoring etc etc and yet the only thing the 'CR7' fans are bringing up is the fact that i mentioned penalties says something..

Statistics are pretty much irrelevant. I don't know why so many here thrive on them. 'Cristiano has a similar pass percentage' for example. No mention of the type of pass, the effectiveness of it, the place on the field, the distance of the pass, the difficulty.

Stats back up what's happening on the pitch, they just need to be used correctly. When people say Cristiano doesn't create chances and it turns out he's the player on his team that creates the most amount of chances it means something is not quite right. In your last comment you said Messi was better at taking penalties than Cristiano and that you looked at things factually. Stats don't back up what you say at all and penalties are one of the most objective things to judge in football where the stats don't even need context. I just replied to that part of your comment because it was obviously very wrong.

Cristiano's free kicks are better because they're further away? Some would argue that makes them easier. Most, probably. Again, you're ignoring context in favour of statistics.

Nope, that's not what I said. In football the closer a free kick is to the goal the higher the percentage they go in, therefore they're easier. Are you actually telling me most people think free kicks are easier from further away? You can't just simply refute all stats by treating them like they're all meaningless. If you can't see how a stat about their free kick attempts per free kick goal is relevant in an argument about who the better free kick taker is then I have no idea what to tell you. Their goal per attempt ratio for their career is similar, Cristiano has scored nearly double the ammount of free kick goals whilst taking free kicks from a wider set of areas of the pitch yet you say Messi is not only better, but much better? How can you seriously tell me you're looking at things factually whilst saying things like that?

Messi is comfortably better than Ronaldo at pretty much everything. The fact that i mentioned passing, vision, dribbling, taking on a man, assists, goal scoring etc etc and yet the only thing the 'CR7' fans are bringing up is the fact that i mentioned penalties says something..

I've already replied to you before saying things Ronaldo is better at, but you never replied and simply ignored those parts of the game again. I'll say it again. Better weak foot, heading, better free kick taker, better penalty taker, better off the ball movement, better in counter attacking situations, better in both offensive and defensive set pieces, covers more distance, appears more often in the bigger moments, etc.

Last edited:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah CR7 is the better penalty taker and Messi has been better at free kicks the last few years. Thought that was obvious.

Stats back up what's happening on the pitch, they just need to be used correctly. When people say Cristiano doesn't create chances and it turns out he's the player on his team that creates the most amount of chances it means something is not quite right. In your last comment you said Messi was better at taking penalties than Cristiano and that you looked at things factually. Stats don't back up what you say at all and penalties are one of the most objective things to judge in football where the stats don't even need context. I just replied to that part of your comment because it was obviously very wrong.

Nope, that's not what I said. In football the closer a free kick is to the goal the higher the percentage they go in, therefore they're easier. Are you actually telling me most people think free kicks are easier from further away? You can't just simply refute all stats by treating them like they're all meaningless. If you can't see how a stat about their free kick attempts per free kick goal is relevant in an argument about who the better free kick taker is then I have no idea what to tell you. Their goal per attempt ratio for their career is similar, Cristiano has scored nearly double the ammount of free kick goals whilst taking free kicks from a wider set of areas of the pitch yet you say Messi is not only better, but much better? How can you seriously tell me you're looking at things factually whilst saying things like that?
Yes. To get the ball over a wall from the edge of the box is much, much harder than from 25-30 yards out.

Fat Ron
CR7
Messi

I'd probably go along with these as the top 3, though in a different order.
Due to longevity, I'd say Fat Ron is in 3rd.

Messi is 2nd because he has only done what he has done in a Barca team, with ridiculously good team-mates. How would he do in a lesser team (CR7 has played with lesser team-mates)? How would he do in the EPL (CR7 won the EPL).
Lets not forget that CR7 has won a National trophy with Portugal. Has Messi won a trophy with Argentina?

My top 4:
CR7
Messi
Fat Ron.
D.Maradona

Considering all of the above, here is my top 3:

Bear in mind that Messi and CR7 are still playing, so their positions may change. Both have plenty more years at the very top.