Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

CR is probably the best striker of all time. I'd have it something like...

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Luis Ronaldo (although I consider him more talented and higher peak)
3) Gerd Muller
4) Marco van Basten
5) Romario

As a footballer,

1) Pele
2) Maradona
3) Cruyff
4) Beckenbauer
5) Di Stefano

are all above him and even Messi imo.

Agree completely.

CR is probably the best striker of all time. I'd have it something like...

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Luis Ronaldo (although I consider him more talented and higher peak)
3) Gerd Muller
4) Marco van Basten
5) Romario

As a footballer,

1) Pele
2) Maradona
3) Cruyff
4) Beckenbauer
5) Di Stefano

are all above him and even Messi imo.
Rating those five above Messi and Ronaldo is nothing but nostalgic nonsense.

The only thing CR has going for him is his goalscoring record. As a footballer the others had more to offer in defining the game. Messi/Barca may be an exception but considering his NT performance, I would not rate him above any of the above.
I find this equally as bizarre as some of the arguments regarding nostalgia. There is a serious underestimation of his footballing ability and what he offers to defining a game. Quite staggering really, to me there is a massive lack of understanding of football, individual abilities, technique and skill.

anyone remember this pic? seems appropriate to post it here.

117ff3s.jpg

(I don't agree with everything and it's not mine btw)

Not a bad list at all, although Cristiano moved for sure one tier up.

Ronaldo - just a goal scorer? I, for one remember his time with us and he was terrific - a lanky bag-of-tricks winger (a tad too much) with pace to burn who was moulded into a more forward player - both tactically and physically.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi are the two best players to ever play the game, taking everything into account.

Wut :confused: When people say "GOAT striker" it means by default that the player's technique is excellent and he is skilled. You can't really talk about GOAT without implying to excellence in technique and skill.
Weird, you refer to him only having a record as a goal scorer but now his technique and skill is implied?. Confusing.

Ronaldo - just a goal scorer? I, for one remember his time with us and he was terrific - a lanky bag-of-tricks winger (a tad too much) with pace to burn who was moulded into a more forward player - both tactically and physically.

In those 2006/07 and 2007/08 seasons, he was imo most exciting as a player. He developed into a goal scoring machine at Madrid but in these seasons, he developed insane ability to score but was also unstoppable with his pace and dribbling technique and was used mostly on the wing. That Roma trashing 7-1 as a perfect example of what he could produce.

In those 2006/07 and 2007/08 seasons, he was imo most exciting as a player. He developed into a goal scoring machine at Madrid but in these seasons, he developed insane ability to score but was also unstoppable with his pace and dribbling technique and was used mostly on the wing. That Roma trashing 7-1 as a perfect example of what he could produce.

Agreed. He scored 42 goals playing on the wings but by then he was already a more forward player. I am talking about before when he was used as a pure winger who would lose the ball quite a lot -seeing his tactical and physical progress has been a joy. That Roma match! :drool:

Agreed. He scored 42 goals playing on the wings but by then he was already a more forward player. I am talking about before when he was used as a pure winger who would lose the ball quite a lot -seeing his tactical and physical progress has been a joy. That Roma match! :drool:

A beast of a performance when you look at it individually. He played on the wing but was clearly already given free licence to roam around.

Ignore the lame music. :)

Rating those five above Messi and Ronaldo is nothing but nostalgic nonsense.

Its a nice non argument the nostalgic nonsense one. It means people dont have to come up with a concrete argument.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi are the two best players to ever play the game, taking everything into account.

I thought Football was born in the 19th century and that each era produced great players.

Thanks to your unlimited and omnipotent football knowledge characterized by modesty, I have learnt today that Football was - in reality - born in the 21th century with Messi and Cristiano.

We learn something new everyday :)

I thought Football was born in the 19th century and that each era produced great players.

Thanks to your unlimited and omnipotent football knowledge characterized by modesty, I have learnt today that Football was - in reality - born in the 21th century with Messi and Cristiano.

We learn something new everyday :)

It was born with Cantona. ;)

Agree with your point. Also, imo you can't properly judge them until they finish their careers especially when you just compare two of them.

It was born with Cantona. ;)

Agree with your point. Also, imo you can't properly judge them until they finish their careers especially when you just compare two of them.

They are probably too young to say that ;)

In reality, I love all he players mentioned in this thread.

Whatever happens in the future, Cristiano and Messi already belong to the small circle of legendary great players in the History of that sport.

To put Ronaldo's 10 goals from quarter-finals to final in context:

Ajax, one of the greatest teams ever, never managed to score 10 goals from quarters to final (1971-1973 when they won three consecutive European cups and had Cruyff).

Orher teams that failed to score 10 goals from quarters to final:

United 1999
United 2008
Barcelona 2009

Even if we take into accont that current winners tend to score more goals in the final stages of the CL (I don't know whether it's a fact), Ronaldo's 10 goals are an incredibly special achievement.