Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

If Ronnie gets it this year it will be a disgrace and proof that it's not actually an individual award at all. Messi has been much better and scored way more goals.
How has he been much better this YEAR (2017)? :confused:

Yeah, if only the Magyars would've won the World Cup in 1954... and they beat the same German team in the group game like 8:3 or something :lol:
That - and, of course, the Hungarian revolution of 1956, which completely broke the team and made Puskas to take a 3 year break from competitive football, at the very physical peak, from 28 to 31. And even after that he scored about 250 goals for Real Madrid in roughly the same amount of games :lol: At Madrid he took a more restricted role due to Di Stefano's influence (Puskas was smart enough to recognize the move that will bring the best out of both of them, Di Stefano hated to be challenged, see Didi etc.)
He even scored the supposed equaliser (as you know) in the last minutes of the final, right after what was going to be Germany's winning goal. It was called offside, and it might have been wrong. Would have been a brace for him and it had sent the game into extra time. Often it's margins that define a legacy.

@Stacks
Very good post about the Beatles (Elvis, Pistols, Nirvana) & Pele. It's often hard to fully understand greatness retrospectively in any field, but the more one learns about it and its context, the clearer the picture gets eventually. For me, making that possible is one of the greatest upsides of the internet age, with so much shared information.

Last edited:
I'll give Cristiano the edge on athleticism and finishing. To me Luís Nazário de Lima had that flair along with the goal scoring I doubt we'll ever see in another no.9. If "El Fenomeno" stayed fit and healthy, I think he'll have a shout at being GOAT.
WHAT.

It's true that 50-60% of the footage of Pele in his prime is missing and generally wasn't on TV in the same sense like you get to watch Barca and Real nowadays, but there is plenty to base objective(or subjective) opinion on.

For me nowadays is easier to get to those numbers as the quality over the teams in CL and La Liga is far from equally spread. You have Barca and Real completely dominating the rest of the teams, bar Atletico recently. If you just take their bench players it would easily be the 3rd best team in La Liga and possibly also in CL.

Then you have defenders nowadays vs the ones from old days. I mean it's hard to rate Messi and Ronaldo bullying the best defenders nowadays in Stones, Luis and Ottamendi in the later stages of CL, above Pele doing the same in WC final against Facchetti, Rosato and Burgnich, or Maradona against Scirea, Baresi, Vierchowod, Bergomi and the likes, right?

One of your best defenders in the last 10 years is certain Ramos, who Ronaldinho used to make a complete mockery of time and time again. Nowadays and in the last 10 years Barca and Real are so far off ahead of the rest that it makes it a bit of uneven battle, compared to what Maradona had to face in Seria A for example in the 80's in a league based around quality defending and first and foremost against the idea of conceding goals.

I disagree completely that nowadays players are better than those of the past due to training regimes, nutrition and coaching. They are better athletes and most of them are that - athletes rather than footballers. If Pele was given the access to the same nutrition and regimes he'd look built like a tank just like Ronaldo, even more.

I agree with that. It's all relative. The best players then would be fitter, stronger etc.

The last world cup Messi actually dragged the Argies through a few games in the knockout rounds
? He was good for one game, the round of 16 against switzerland

I'm baffled as to how people still think Messi is better, no chance.

How has he been much better this YEAR (2017)? :confused:
Ronaldo was poor until his strong finish to the season. At one point he'd played something like 30 games and only had 17 or 18 goals, half a dozen of which were penalties. Ronaldo's season by his own standards hasn't been good.

Ronaldo was poor until his strong finish to the season. At one point he'd played something like 30 games and only had 17 or 18 goals, half a dozen of which were penalties. Ronaldo's season by his own standards hasn't been good.
The award is for the calendar year, not the season. He's got 26 goals in 27 games so far in 2017. I think Messi has 31 in 32.

You've answered it yourself.

For 2017, Ronaldo has 24 goals in 26 games, Messi has 31 goals in 32 games. Now if you account for the goals that Ronaldo scored in key matches in the CL, one can easily argue Ronaldo has had the better 2017.

I'm baffled as to how people still think Messi is better, no chance.

Yeah,not as if he beats people, creates and scores as many as RvN is it (oh sorry CR7 i meant)

When was the last time CR7 beat a player, 2008?

When was the last time he created something, from nothing?

Some of you are the absolute definition of fanboi's

Yeah,not as if he beats people, creates and scores as many as RvN is it (oh sorry CR7 i meant)

The way the Messi brigade goes on about it, you'd have thought goal scoring is just some kind of secondary biproduct of football, rather than the be-all-and-end-all aim. :rolleyes:

Just right now watching CR7's 10 Best Goals on MUTV.

Difficult to believe that the absolute best player of his generation played for us, and easy to believe that if he had stayed we might have been unbeaten for the past 8 years.

Simply phenomenal !!!!

I respect everyone's opinion but when someone says that about Ronaldo I can't take their opinion seriously. It proves to me you have either not watched Ronaldo enough or are willing to accept how amazing is game is. Though, the team you support would explain it..

Please, his game is pretty much all about him getting good service and scoring. He may have been a complete player in his United days, but the larger part of his career is about him being a very clinical and prolific scorer. He certainly doesn't compare in terms of creativity and overall vision with the likes of Maradona, Messi or Cruyff. Silly to say he does imo.

He even scored the supposed equaliser (as you know) in the last minutes of the final, right after what was going to be Germany's winning goal. It was called offside, and it might have been wrong. Would have been a brace for him and it had sent the game into extra time. Often it's margins that define a legacy.

@Stacks
Very good post about the Beatles (Elvis, Pistols, Nirvana) & Pele. It's often hard to fully understand greatness retrospectively in any field, but the more one learns about it and its context, the clearer the picture gets eventually. For me, making that possible is one of the greatest upsides of the internet age, with so much shared information.
It wasn't me bro. It was my catfish @Stack

Ronaldo's name will be featured in GOAT list more often after 3-4 more years when he still maintains his performance levels or at least goals. Sheer longevity is the only way for him to be featured in that list with a realistic shot to be at the top. Lets face it, he was never as special with his skills like the other GOAT candidates which will always come up.

But the good thing is he has the body, the dedication and the ambition to play till he is 40. If he can avoid long term injuries, there is hardly something to prove he will slow down considering his physical prowess. Not sure we can say that about Messi who I feel will eventually slowdown.

I think by the time CR retires, he will write new rules to physical prowess and fitness. It will only be realized when he is old. 32 is too early for critics to realize how much effort he has put in and how much restraint he has followed.

Please, his game is pretty much all about him getting good service and scoring. He may have been a complete player in his United days, but the larger part of his career is about him being a very clinical and prolific scorer. He certainly doesn't compare in terms of creativity and overall vision with the likes of Maradona, Messi or Cruyff. Silly to say he does imo.

If that's what you believe nothing I can say will convince you otherwise.

No not at all, the only reason why people think Messi is better is because Ronaldo played for United and arguably we made him the player he is. Don't get me wrong Messi isn't only just behind Ronaldo but is a much better athlete.

Ronaldo's name will be featured in GOAT list more often after 3-4 more years when he still maintains his performance levels or at least goals. Sheer longevity is the only way for him to be featured in that list with a realistic shot to be at the top. Lets face it, he was never as special with his skills like the other GOAT candidates which will always come up.

But the good thing is he has the body, the dedication and the ambition to play till he is 40. If he can avoid long term injuries, there is hardly something to prove he will slow down considering his physical prowess. Not sure we can say that about Messi who I feel will eventually slowdown.

I think by the time CR retires, he will write new rules to physical prowess and fitness. It will only be realized when he is old. 32 is too early for critics to realize how much effort he has put in and how much restraint he has followed.

I would agree with this. However, for most people, it's not physical prowess and/or fitness which stand at the foundation of what the greatest means. But rather their talent and their ability, as well as the genius factor. Ronaldo doesn't have more ability than the likes of Messi and/or Maradona. No matter what he does this will not change. He can score as often as Messi, he can win the titles Messi wins. But he just can't do what Messi can. Ability to a point can't be trained and comes from talent. Messi/Maradona/Cruyff/Di Stefano/Pele have more talent than Ronaldo, and the gap is very clear for me when watching them.

Messi, Maradona and a select few others can put the ball where they want to. Can pick a target and deliver a perfect pass, taking into consideration multiple factors, like the wind, the spin of the ball, the pitch, the receiver's preferred foot. It's a complete mastery of the football. Ronaldo doesn't control the ball to the fullest potential. He can shoot it fine, he can head it or even do a trick from time to time, but that's about it. The rest is routine. He is not better at controlling the ball than some of his teammates for example, like Kroos, Modric or Marcelo. That can never be said about the likes of Messi, Maradona Cruyff and others.

Ronaldo can be appreciated as an example of professionalism, will to be the best, discipline to succeed at the highest level. Those are attributes that make him not only a great player, but a great sportsman, and an example for many other aspiring kids. But as the best player of all time or one of the very few? He misses some key aspects for me, which I mentioned earlier in the comment.

No not at all, the only reason why people think Messi is better is because Ronaldo played for United and arguably we made him the player he is. Don't get me wrong Messi isn't only just behind Ronaldo but is a much better athlete.

What are you saying? Sincere question.

I would agree with this. However, for most people, it's not physical prowess and/or fitness which stand at the foundation of what the greatest means. But rather their talent and their ability, as well as the genius factor. Ronaldo doesn't have more ability than the likes of Messi and/or Maradona. No matter what he does this will not change. He can score as often as Messi, he can win the titles Messi wins. But he just can't do what Messi can. Ability to a point can't be trained and comes from talent. Messi/Maradona/Cruyff/Di Stefano/Pele have more talent than Ronaldo, and the gap is very clear for me when watching them.

Messi, Maradona and a select few others can put the ball where they want to. Can pick a target and deliver a perfect pass, taking into consideration multiple factors, like the wind, the spin of the ball, the pitch, the receiver's preferred foot. It's a complete mastery of the football. Ronaldo doesn't control the ball to the fullest potential. He can shoot it fine, he can head it or even do a trick from time to time, but that's about it. The rest is routine. He is not better at controlling the ball than some of his teammates for example, like Kroos, Modric or Marcelo. That can never be said about the likes of Messi, Maradona Cruyff and others.

Ronaldo can be appreciated as an example of professionalism, will to be the best, discipline to succeed at the highest level. Those are attributes that make him not only a great player, but a great sportsman, and an example for many other aspiring kids. But as the best player of all time or one of the very few? He misses some key aspects for me, which I mentioned earlier in the comment.

The problem here for me is the way you class talent and the 'genius factor'. You say Ronaldo can't do what Messi can, but things are also true the other way around. It's true that all of those players you mentioned have better ball control than Ronaldo but there's more to football than that. And it's not like Ronaldo can't dribble the ball or make great passes either. I'd argue he's a better athlete than those players, a better aerial player, better in counter attacking situations, more lethal in the box, has a better long range shot, is better in set piece situations, etc.. He may not have that aura of a magician, but he has other things that those players didn't. And then it becomes tough to make these comparisons and that's why they're mostly nonsense since it's not as simple as 'Player A scores as much as player B, player A is better on the ball than player B therefore player A is better than player B'. There are too many factors in play, especially when you start looking at teams' achievements and comparing across different generations.

The problem here for me is the way you class talent and the 'genius factor'. You say Ronaldo can't do what Messi can, but things are also true the other way around. It's true that all of those players you mentioned have better ball control than Ronaldo but there's more to football than that. And it's not like Ronaldo can't dribble the ball or make great passes either. I'd argue he's a better athlete than those players, a better aerial player, better in counter attacking situations, more lethal in the box, has a better long range shot, is better in set piece situations, etc.. He may not have that aura of a magician, but he has other things that those players didn't. And then it becomes tough to make these comparisons and that's why they're mostly nonsense since it's not as simple as 'Player A scores as much as player B, player A is better on the ball than player B therefore player A is better than player B'. There are too many factors in play, especially when you start looking at teams' achievements and comparing across different generations.

Messi scores about the same number of goals as Ronaldo. As far as I know, Messi still owns the record of goals scored in a season and in a calendar year. Also, as far as I know Messi has more long range goals than Ronaldo. So, two aspects are already not true.

So you have two players who have similar goal scoring stats. But one of them is also this insane playmaker and has incredible vision and dribbling ability. How is this close? Because you name some types of goals Ronaldo can score, that Messi can't? Goes what, Messi can score types of goals that Ronaldo can't score as well, solo goals and such.

I think if you look at the goals they usually score, you can say Ronaldo is better at scoring goals after 1-2 touches, while Messi becomes better at scoring goals when more touches are involved, from deeper positions. Which also underlines that Ronaldo is a role player, i.e. a player who's job is to score goals based on great service, while Messi is much more than that and is involved in more aspects of the game.

The most I can say pro Ronaldo in his duel with Messi is that Ronaldo is a better no9 than Messi. Messi is better player though, quite clearly. He manages to keep up with Ronaldo's number of goals, even supersede them at times, while having better ability on the ball and being an extremely skilled playmaker.

Normally, a player like Messi is a no10. He has no business scoring as many goals as he does. The fact that he still does it is a testament to his unique ability to be multiple things at the same time and to step into different roles during the game. He can do things that a 'no7' does, then one minute after that he can pull off a 'no10' assist, and also appear in the box to score a 'no9' type of goal. He can switch between these roles almost instantly. Ronaldo simply can't.

Messi is a master of passing, scoring, and dribbling. Ronaldo is a master of scoring and is also pretty good with his passing and dribbling. That is the difference.

Last edited:
Messi scores about the same number of goals as Ronaldo. As far as I know, Messi still owns the record of goals scored in a season and in a calendar year. Also, as far as I know Messi has more long range goals than Ronaldo. So, two aspects are already not true.

I never even said the opposite: that Ronaldo scores more than Messi... what the hell are you even talking about? And Ronaldo scores more from long range, Messi scores plenty from outside the box, but they're not really for long range. I was only listing things that I think Ronaldo's better than the players you mentioned (and not just Messi, I have no idea why you mention him) because you made your argument without even mentioning them.

So you have two players who have similar goal scoring stats. But one of them is also this insane playmaker and has incredible vision and dribbling ability. How is this close? Because you name some types of goals Ronaldo can score, that Messi can't? Goes what, Messi can score types of goals that Ronaldo can't score as well, solo goals and such.

My whole last post was me explaining this. You just completely ignored it. And I wasn't talking about Messi... Messi, Maradona, Cruyff or Pelé might be better at creating than Cristiano, but they're not better than him at it than Cristiano is better than them at other things. And these other things aren't just scoring goals like I explained in my previous post.

I think if you look at the goals they usually score, you can say Ronaldo is better at scoring goals after 1-2 touches, while Messi becomes better at scoring goals when more touches are involved, from deeper positions. Which also underlines that Ronaldo is a role player, i.e. a player who's job is to score goals based on great service, while Messi is much more than that and is involved in more aspects of the game.

If you think Ronaldo's role in a team is merely scoring goals based on great service, then I don't know what to tell you. It's insane.

I never even said the opposite: that Ronaldo scores more than Messi... what the hell are you even talking about? And Ronaldo scores more from long range, Messi scores plenty from outside the box, but they're not really for long range. I was only listing things that I think Ronaldo's better than the players you mentioned (and not just Messi, I have no idea why you mention him) because you made your argument without even mentioning them.

My whole last post was me explaining this. You just completely ignored it. And I wasn't talking about Messi... Messi, Maradona, Cruyff or Pelé might be better at creating than Cristiano, but they're not better than him at it than Cristiano is better than them at other things. And these other things aren't just scoring goals like I explained in my previous post.

If you think Ronaldo's role in a team is merely scoring goals based on great service, then I don't know what to tell you. It's insane.

1) OK, Ronaldo scores more from long range. I don't even know what long range means to you. What? 20m.? 25m.? Over 25? Can't remember Ronaldo scoring a lot of those either.

2) True about Cristiano being better at scoring than those players (except Messi), but you also have to take into account the specifics of today's game, as opposed to the past eras. It's a judgment call here, as the variables (conditions) are vastly different.

3) Ronaldo's role at Madrid is mostly scoring the goals other create for him or speculating favorable situations in the box. Take the first game with Atletico for example from a few weeks. First goal: great cross Carvajal, great header Ronaldo. Second goal: loose ball, a lucky bounce for Ronaldo, volley and goal. 3rd goal, great layout from a teammate, easy finish from Ronaldo. Hattrick, sure, great goals especially the first two. But all the work of a finisher. No shame in that as well. He is a forward. Most of the times he waits for service and his involvement in the build-up is limited. This is not a negative issue except when he is compared with a player who influences the game in more ways, like Messi does.

He's the greatest ever. No question.

Sometimes you just have to put the goat debate aside and just concede that we've been extremely fortunate to see these two players play.

Still think Messi is better, but himself and Ronaldo are miles ahead of anyone else.

I have him at #3 behind Messi and Maradona.

Exceptional talent and big game player.

Still think Messi is better, but himself and Ronaldo are miles ahead of anyone else.

Most naturally talented and complete footballer is Messi by a reasonable distance. I think Ronaldo has taken the title of "Greatest" away from him though through sheer determination. He's going to win more Ballon D'Ors, equal his champions league and win an international title, despite Messi having better teams around him. He's just phenomenal.

If there is one man you want to win you a match it's Ronaldo, and thats whats football is about, winning, not pretty dribbles and good touches, ball in the net winning and nobody has or does it better then Ronaldo.

I think us football fans are quite fickle. If Messi wins the World Cup next year, he will probably be hailed as the greatest ever even if he doesn't have an amazing tournament.

If there is one man you want to win you a match it's Ronaldo, and thats whats football is about, winning, not pretty dribbles and good touches, ball in the net winning and nobody has or does it better then Ronaldo.
This. That lot seem to think dribbling is more important than scoring. :rolleyes:

Been mentioned a lot, but his greatest achievement isn't the titles he's won. Nor the goals and records.

It's catching up to Messi in Ballon d'Ors won when it was a 4-1 advantage after 2012 and it looked like Messi would stretch the cushion.

It's highly probable that it'll be 5-5 now after 2017. Nothing symbolizes him more than that fact.

This. That lot seem to think dribbling is more important than scoring. :rolleyes:

The reality is (even if you just compare goals), Messi is only 30 career goals behind Ronaldo and he has the extra pretty little dribbles and genius moments.