Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

He didn't need this title to prove that he's the GOAT, but this cements his status.

Last edited:
The reality is (even if you just compare goals), Messi is only 30 career goals behind Ronaldo and he has the extra pretty little dribbles and genius moments.
That's all very well apart from the fact that Ronaldo didn't start off as a forward like Messi, and didn't have the greatest team in the world ever ever (TM) playing for him for years.

Messi couldn't retain the CL when he had the better team mates; Ronaldo did that just now.

The reality is (even if you just compare goals), Messi is only 30 career goals behind Ronaldo and he has the extra pretty little dribbles and genius moments.

Can't hear you mate

That's all very well apart from the fact that Ronaldo didn't start off as a forward like Messi, and didn't have the greatest team in the world ever ever (TM) playing for him for years.

Messi couldn't retain the CL when he had the better team mates; Ronaldo did that just now.

To be fair, Messi started out wide as well.

Most naturally talented and complete footballer is Messi by a reasonable distance. I think Ronaldo has taken the title of "Greatest" away from him though through sheer determination. He's going to win more Ballon D'Ors, equal his champions league and win an international title, despite Messi having better teams around him. He's just phenomenal.

I agree with this, there was a poster I think @Brwned? who said Ronaldo matching Messi's Ballon d'Or tally after 2012 is the greatest individual achievement in any sport and I completely agree with that. I see a lot of people putting him down but by the time he hangs up his boots, the record he'd have set up, the honors he would have won would automatically bring him into contention.

To be fair, Messi started out wide as well.
He always played in a more advanced position than Ronaldo though. Ronaldo played mostly as a winger up to 2012 or so, while Messi started as a right attacker and was converted to No.9 in 2009-2010 season.

And well, Messi played for a better team most of his career.

I've always been on the camp who thinks he's nowhere near Messi, let alone in a GOAT discussion (a natural conclusion of the first premise).

Yet, from a base point of utterly disliking him a while ago, my admiration towards him grows immensely as time goes by. The way he perseveres, the way he keeps himself in this discussion (to many people, myself not included), his consistency, it challenges my own convictions. At one point I thought Messi was so far ahead that Ronaldo would himself inevitably lose some motivation. Nah, he kept coming back. Not to Messi level, but to better himself constantly, and at the end of the day, his results speak volumes. Without the same talent, he reaches extraordinarily close, and who knows, is perfectly capable of surpassing the GOAT in individual and collective accolades.

That makes him uniquely special in my eyes. Not a GOAT, not in the tier below, but in a unique parallel tier, his own Universe. Being second best isn't easy. By pure denial, he doesn't acknowledge that to be the true, keeps overcoming extraordinary challenges (anyone in 2012 believed he could equal Messi in Ballon d'Or?), and surprises everyone everytime.
He always had the talent and a gifted physique, but there has never been a more shining example of how important it is to look after yourself and work hard, constantly, and carry on pushing yourself no matter how well you've done.

I'm not even a fanboi, never pined for his return, don't really like the ego and chest pumping, but I have nothing but huge admiration. He deserves everything he has achieved.

Diego Forlán used to play poker on Wednesdays at a mate's house and he once mentioned he was far and away the most dedicated pro he came across: first to arrive at training, last to leave, spent hours working alone on various things... and during the full training session he wore ankle weights while everyone was knackered without any :lol:

And this is the CR he trained with... what? 15 years ago? And then you get baby Bentleys sulking around because they want chips or whatever :rolleyes:

No doubt one can argue that he is the greatest. But for me Messi is still better.

Messi has been better than him for a long time in my mind and still is.

However, I've also thought that any debate on that subject is stupid. At this point, that's no longer the case. It is debatable.

I don't know if I'm imaginating it, but it's interesting how rarely you see Ronaldo vs Maradona debates. Maradona & Pele vs Messi comparisions were pretty frequent when were discussing Messi's potential GOAT title couple of years ago, yet I rarely see that when we talk about Ronaldo. it's pretty much always Ronaldo vs Messi in every thread, which is unusual, imo.

I don't know if I'm imaginating it, but it's interesting how rarely you see Ronaldo vs Maradona debates. Maradona & Pele vs Messi comparisions were pretty frequent when were discussing Messi's potential GOAT title couple of years ago, yet I rarely see that when we talk about Ronaldo. it's pretty much always Ronaldo vs Messi in every thread, which is unusual, imo.
Mainly because people like to talk about Messi v Maradona, 2 Argentinian players who are both quite short and excel at dribbling.

Since Maradona v Pele has been done for decades, he's dragged into it.

He'll still be banging in goals every match in 4 / 5 years time, wont he?

I think this just seals his place in the top 4 of all time. There's a point where his incredible consistency and determination just have to outweigh that bit of magic that others might have more of. And it's not like he lacks it anyway.

He'll be scoring goals at 35/36 just like Ibra is. Another 3/4 seasons of 40+ goals a season and he'll end up with around 800 career goals.

Simply incredible.

The way the Messi brigade goes on about it, you'd have thought goal scoring is just some kind of secondary biproduct of football, rather than the be-all-and-end-all aim. :rolleyes:
:lol::lol::lol:

I mean, he's just a poacher. He's only scored 10 goals in 5 games between the QF and final of the biggest competition in club football :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

I mean, he's just a poacher. He's only scored 10 goals in 5 games between the QF and final of the biggest competition in club football :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The so called best attacking trio ever MSN managed 12 amongst the 3 of them from the QF onwards 2 years ago.

My top 5 in chronological order:

Di Stefano, Pele, Maradona, C. Ronaldo, Messi.

Di Stefano is a bit underrated. According to Cruyff he was the best ever and Cruyff knew what he was talking about.

IMHO he is definitely among the top 4 GOAT, it would be very very hard to argue he's not.
Although I am not too sure whether he is the better player, but he is definitely on par with Messi in terms of greatness (measured in terms of individual and overall achivements)

¿Que?

CR7 is built like a track athlete; he works hard at his craft whereas "El Fenomeno" was more a gifted football player. What's wrong with that?
Ronaldo was faster, more explosive than Cristiano. It's not even close. He was the most explosive player ever. Cris maybe beats him in jumping, everywhere else Ronnie was more athletic. He was a freak of nature

Ronaldo was faster, more explosive than Cristiano. It's not even close. He was the most explosive player ever. Cris maybe beats him in jumping, everywhere else Ronnie was more athletic. He was a freak of nature

R9 was more athletic than R7 for about 2-3 years. R7 at 32 is much fitter than R9 ever was after the injuries.

He always played in a more advanced position than Ronaldo though. Ronaldo played mostly as a winger up to 2012 or so, while Messi started as a right attacker and was converted to No.9 in 2009-2010 season
No, you're talking bollocks here mate

R9 was more athletic than R7 for about 2-3 years. R7 at 32 is much fitter than R9 ever was after the injuries.
Pre-injury Ronnie was the most explosive athlete in football history. Post-injury, he was still one of the most explosive ever. He was still faster than Cris ever was, even when he ballooned up to 100 Kg, he was still a lightning bolt

Pre-injury Ronnie was the most explosive athlete in football history. Post-injury, he was still one of the most explosive ever. He was still faster than Cris ever was, even when he ballooned up to 100 Kg, he was still a lightning bolt

Proof? Don't refer to your eyes though.

Myth or fact? :confused:

I'd take Ronaldo (and Messi) over Pele and Maradona for what it's worth. No other player has performed at this level as consistently as both Ronaldo and Messi. These are two players that you could easily build dynasties around, which Real and Barca have both managed to do. It easier to do in say a sport like Basketball, where you can build a dynasty around a player but in football it is a rarity.

It is amazing how managers, players and club presidents have come and gone but these two have stood the test of time and still remain central figures, the main men, for their clubs. I can't remember the last time when two world class absolute top tier level players were the best players in their team over such a long period. Props to both of them, the title GOAT or BOAT is easily between the two of them and at the end comes down to individual preference - there isn't really a wrong answer to this at the moment.

Never :lol:

It was his skills that saved his ass when his speed decreased rapidly, though he did have a bit burst left in him

Myth or fact? :confused:
32 year old, fat, broken down ronaldo recorded the fastest 30 meter run time in milan's history during the pre-season physical tests. Faster than George Weah, Ibrahim Ba, and Serginho

32 year old, fat, broken down ronaldo recorded the fastest 30 meter run time in milan's history during the pre-season physical tests. Faster than George Weah, Ibrahim Ba, and Serginho
Do you have a source fo that? I find it hard to believe since Ronaldo was injured at the time

Do you have a source fo that? I find it hard to believe since Ronaldo was injured at the time
Let me see if i can find it. I heard of it on Milan Channel tho

Tbf, it might also be my memory being shite:lol:

Let me see if i can find it. I heard of it on Milan Channel tho

Tbf, it might also be my memory being shite:lol:
I've been searching the Milan forums since and couldn't find anything

Suffered a serious knee Injury in Feb 2008

http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showthread.php?p=447687#post447687 from april 08
Miraculous Ronaldo To Return In September

Milan star Ronaldo is on course for a miraculous recovery from his horrific injury, and could be set to return in time for the start of next season.
The career of the Brazilian was believed to be in huge doubt after he severed a tendon in his knee playing against Livorno in February.

After a successful operation in Paris, it was estimated that he would be out of action for at least nine months, even if a more likely return date was said to be in 2009.

However Ronaldo’s rehabilitation has been going brilliantly well and he is so far ahead of schedule that he could return to playing in September, and even be ready for the start of the new season.

"His recovery is progressing well and we believe that the months of stop can be reduced to seven," Milan doctor Pierre Meersseman told Radio Kiss Kiss.

Ronaldo’s contract at San Siro runs out at the end of the season, but he is almost certain to be handed a fresh deal in the coming months

never played for Milan again

I'd take Ronaldo (and Messi) over Pele and Maradona for what it's worth. No other player has performed at this level as consistently as both Ronaldo and Messi. These are two players that you could easily build dynasties around, which Real and Barca have both managed to do. It easier to do in say a sport like Basketball, where you can build a dynasty around a player but in football it is a rarity.

It is amazing how managers, players and club presidents have come and gone but these two have stood the test of time and still remain central figures, the main men, for their clubs. I can't remember the last time when two world class absolute top tier level players were the best players in their team over such a long period. Props to both of them, the title GOAT or BOAT is easily between the two of them and at the end comes down to individual preference - there isn't really a wrong answer to this at the moment.

Pelé surely did. He was extremely consistent.

Ballon d'Ors dont neccesarily mean whos the better player...

its clear as day to anyone that actually watches football that Messi is better. I'd say Maradona was better as well, CR7's one of my personal favourites (and would have been my absolute favourite if he stayed at Utd for a few more years at least, but hes in my eyes and in history going to be seen as a Madrid player) and probably top 5 of all time.

Theres no doubt he has genius in his play as well, but its not genius on the level of the likes of Messi, Maradona, i'd even say Zidane. Those players just have that something extra.

The unreal thing about messi is how creative and active he is going forward, his season for me is more remarkable because of his awful midfield. He, more than he has for some time now, needs to drop further and further back into the pitch to playmake from the middle (much more often then he needed to before), and yet he put up absurd goal numbers...

Either way its extremely hard to compare footballers, and I dont think football (or many sports are for that matter) is something that can be defined by statistics alone...

According to stats, these guys are much better than the likes of Maradona, Ronaldo 9 etc. Like leagues ahead, at least in terms of goals. But the fact is those guys were on their levels, at least in their primes. Anyone that'd argue otherwise would be seen as a bit foolish, yet people will still go on about stats.

That being said its incredible how hes become one of the best goal scorers of all time, if not the greatest, going from a creative winger to a forward that bangs in goals for fun is quite a change, thats an amazing feat.

Its irksome that people cant realise how good of a team madrid is right now though... Their midfield is the best in the world, none can match it, Bayern's is the only one on paper that looks comparable and are still a step below. Isco's played like a 80 million pound player this season.

In today's football, scoring 600 goals is amazing, he really is a legend of the game.

Someone here said CR7 couldn't possible be GOAT because of his performances in World Cups. I honestly think Pele was the very best but he did have an incredible Brazil team around him which Cristiano has not so that argument holds as much water as a sieve