Why CR7 Should be Talked About as the GOAT

I'd probably go along with these as the top 3, though in a different order.
Due to longevity, I'd say Fat Ron is in 3rd.

Messi is 2nd because he has only done what he has done in a Barca team, with ridiculously good team-mates. How would he do in a lesser team (CR7 has played with lesser team-mates)? How would he do in the EPL (CR7 won the EPL).
Lets not forget that CR7 has won a National trophy with Portugal. Has Messi won a trophy with Argentina?

My top 4:
CR7
Messi
Fat Ron.
D.Maradona

Considering all of the above, here is my top 3:

Bear in mind that Messi and CR7 are still playing, so their positions may change. Both have plenty more years at the very top.
Yawn.

This tired old shite gets trotted out all the time.

If Messi were Maltese would we still bring this up?

Ps, Ronaldo did nothing in the final for Portugal.

Basically, you are saying that R9's best games are better than R7 best games. Examples?
You can take any game between 1996 and 1999 and you'll see a lot of things which weren't in Cristiano's locker. Chiefly the ability to get the ball a long way out yet still cause panic in a world-class defence between him and the goal.

Rob Smyth said:
Those highlights packages can be deceptive, but rewatching a full match such as the 1998 World Cup semi-final against Holland confirms the sheer menace and excitement of Ronaldo with the ball at his feet. You can hear or see it in the defenders’ body language, the pitch of the ITV commentator Brian Moore’s voice or the noise of the crowd. “Ronaldo could start from the halfway line and the whole stadium would ignite,” said Sir Bobby Robson, his manager at Barcelona. “A current would course through the stands.”

That was because Ronaldo played like a winger – but he did so in the centre of the pitch, which made him infinitely more dangerous. He played like every attack had a 10-second deadline and the Brazilian would explode into life with no warning for defenders. His 50-yard dash in extra time of the 1998 World Cup semi-final, when he scorched past Frank de Boer and Jaap Stam before De Boer made an immense recovery tackle, is among the most exhilarating moments in modern World Cup history.

There were centre-forwards before Ronaldo who roamed and ran with the ball – Dixie Dean, Eusébio, Preben Elkjaer and especially George Weah – but none did it as devastatingly or excitingly. He did not get between the lines of the defence and midfield; he got between the lines of the defenders, with or without the ball. He did not pass the ball through the eye of the needle; he squeezed through it himself. His famous hat-trick against Valencia in 1996 included two remarkable goals in which he bulldozed through the tiniest gap between defenders. “He’s not a man,” said the former Real Madrid striker Jorge Valdano. “He’s a herd.”

He will never be considered as such. He seems to be an utter prick to the public, he's arrogant on the field, his alround game has regressed since joining Madrid. He just doesn't have the flair Messi, Maradona or Pele had.

Might be unfair, but it's still true. A lot of people just really, really hate him.
Well, scoring 10 goals or so against Bayern, make Bayern fans really hate him. They are a lot of people, to be fair.

You can take any game between 1996 and 1999 and you'll see a lot of things which weren't in Cristiano's locker. Chiefly the ability to get the ball a long way out yet still cause panic in a world-class defence between him and the goal.

Are these his best performances?

Do you realise that this Juve are a much better team than Lazio?

A CL final trumps a UEFA cup final any day of the week.

I remember Ronaldo's performance vs the Netherlands. I was for Brazil in that game and was a bit disappointed with Ronaldo because I expected more from him. It was an excellent performance but nowhere near a top top performance from a legend of the game.

Last edited:
Are these his best performances?
A couple of typical performances from that time. The Holland game wasn't particularly amazing by his standards, but was shared to get a sense of the type of threat Ronaldo posed that no other centre-forwards in the game have had in their repertoire. The panic that Ronaldo instilled in other teams, even when receiving the ball in normally unthreatening situations, has probably only been matched by Maradona and Messi. And even they lacked the powerhouse directness that made Ronaldo such a phenomenon.

Do you realise that this Juve are a much better team than Lazio?
Do you realise that Alessandro Nesta was a much better defender than anyone in the game at the moment? He made a mug of Nesta in the same way he did of all the top men - Maldini, Desailly, Cannavaro, Ayala, etc - in what was a great generation of defenders.

The fatboy in his pomp has few, if any, peers. The word menacing sums him up. You just weren't safe with him on the prowl, even if you sported a defence which – as Gio rightly suggests – makes present-day Juve look like a disorganized mess.

A couple of typical performances from that time. The Holland game wasn't particularly amazing by his standards, but was shared to get a sense of the type of threat Ronaldo posed that no other centre-forwards in the game have had in their repertoire. The panic that Ronaldo instilled in other teams, even when receiving the ball in normally unthreatening situations, has probably only been matched by Maradona and Messi. And even they lacked the powerhouse directness that made Ronaldo such a phenomenon.

Do you realise that Alessandro Nesta was a much better defender than anyone in the game at the moment? He made a mug of Nesta in the same way he did of all the top men - Maldini, Desailly, Cannavaro, Ayala, etc - in what was a great generation of defenders.

One great defender doesn't make a great defence.

Juventus have conceded just 3 goals prior to the final and 0 goals over two games vs the best attacking trio out there. Now that's a great defence.

Of course, you are entitled of your opinion. I liked El Fenomeno. But I'm not sure that he was a more dangerous player than R7. Better to watch - sure, more lkely to win a game for his team - not sure.

One great defender doesn't make a great defence.

Juventus have conceded just 3 goals prior to the final and 0 goals over two games vs the best attacking trio out there. Now that's a great defence.

Of course, you are entitled of your opinion. I liked El Fenomeno. But I'm not sure that he was a more dangerous player than R7. Better to watch - sure, more lkely to win a game for his team - not sure.

Well, they haven't the same role on the pitch so the comparison has its limits but let's go!

Also, you need to take into account:

- It's much more difficult to dribble some players at the heart of the game that on the wing. Prime CR7 used to rely on his insane speed to dribble rather than his technical skills while R9 was more powerful and better in terms of technical skills
- Refereeing has changed. Nowadays, great players are now protected by referees while it was the contrary for players like Maradona and R9
- R9 makes Brazil win and scored 15 goals at the World Cup, destroyed so many defences and contributed to the victory at the WC 2002 (he also won the WC 94 but was on the bench :wenger:). The best CR7 had a much more limited impact with his NT even if I liked Cr7 version Euro 2004
- Serie A was the best league in the 90s and early 2000s. More difficult to score goals because 1) Inter wasn't so great (limited collective game given the mercato policy) 2) The average defence was better
- He also makes Inter win and did everything alone... Zamorano part of the starting 11 scored 2 goals in Serie A while Bale+Benzema are capable to score

Top scorers Inter 97/98
Serie A
- Last but not least, when you see his impact in 2002...after his horrible injuries...it just means R9 is a superhuman

Cr7 is a pure GOAT, more a goal scoring machine while the iconic Brazilian Jonah Lomu alias R9 was the nightmare of defenders

Last edited:

He was always a goal scorer. That finish for his first goal. 20 year old kid, big game, away crowd, angle becoming more and more acute, and he pulled that finish off. What a player.

Well, they haven't the same role on the pitch so the comparison has its limits but let's go!

- It's much more difficult to dribble some players at the heart of the game that on the wing. Prime CR7 used to rely on his insane speed to dribble rather than his technical skills while R9 was more powerful and better in terms of technical skills
- Refereeing has changed. Nowadays, great players are now protected by referees while it was the contrary for players like Maradona and R9
- R9 makes Brazil win and scored 15 goals at the World Cup, destroyed so many defences and contributed to the victory at the WC 2002 (he also won the WC 94 but was on the bench :wenger:). The best CR7 had a much more limited impact with his NT even if I liked Cr7 version Euro 2004
- Serie A was the best league in the 90s and early 2000s. More difficult to score goals because 1) Inter wasn't so great (limited collective game given the mercato policy) 2) The average defence was better
- He also makes Inter win and did everything alone... Zamorano part of the starting 11 scored 2 goals in Serie A while Bale+Benzema are capable to score

Top scorers Inter 97/98
Serie A
- Last but not least, when you see his impact in 2002...after his horrible injuries...it just means R9 is a superhuman

Cr7 is a pure GOAT, more a goal scoring machine while the iconic Brazilian Jonah Lomu alias R9 was the nightmare of defenders

What on earth have you been watching????????????????? his footwork was amazing and he did it at pace which made it even more amazing.

He was so average in Real's last 2 wins before this one.

Messi is definitely better in everything he does, but Ronaldo is in the top top echelons of football. In terms of scoring, consistency and match-winning he is up there with the best ever to lace up boots. But Messi is still better at everything by quite a distance except maybe goal scoring.

He's better on the ball, at dribbling, at shooting, at passing, at taking on men, at penalties, at free-kicks...Ronaldo only does one thing equally well - goalscoring, and one thing better - heading.

Messi is also 3 years younger nearly and will finish his career with more goals in major leagues than Ronaldo.

Let's judge when the stories are over. And then Messi will still be much better.

I support neither United, Madrid or Barça, btw.
:lol: The 2 all time highscoring CL campaigns with 17 and 16 goals and he was "so average" :lol:

Messi being better at penalties is worth about even more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Messi is 2 years and 4 months younger, how is that 3 years? I know Messi fans like to bend facts, but surely a simple matter of dates cannot be manipulated this way. :rolleyes:

And performance wise there's only one winner. Cristiano never had that capacity to skin a defence the way Ronaldo did. You can make a decent case that Cristiano trumps Ronaldo in the all-time stakes based on the totality of his output and longevity, but it's hard to claim that they hit a similar peak performance level.

Indeed, Cristiano's peak is much higher than Luiz Ronaldo. Has he ever scored over 50 goals in a season? Cristiano did it for the better part of a decade.

The Brazilian Ronaldo was a joy to watch - one of the best dribblers I've seen and his ball control was flawless. But, in terms of peaks - Ronaldo had a few extra-ordinary ones (PSV, Barca, Inter)- which in this day, has become commonplace because of the unbridled genius of Messi and CR7, both of whom are miles ahead of other WC talents due to their sheer consistency at the greatest stage.

Top scorers Inter 97/98
Serie A

It's pure nonsense to draw conclusions about R9 and R7 by comparing their feats with Brazil and Portugal.

R9 failed to reach even a CL final! He played with a Madrid team full with great players and couldn't reach a CL final. Quite the superhuman.

It's pure nonsense to draw conclusions about R9 and R7 by comparing their feats with Brazil and Portugal.

R9 failed to reach even a CL final! He played with a Madrid team full with great players and couldn't reach a CL final. Quite the superhuman.

I don't compare Brazil with Portugal but their impacts at the international level.

Prime R9 was the Inter Milan player.

Maradona or Buffon never won the European Cup/Champions League.

Let's agree to disagree here and move on.

What on earth have you been watching????????????????? his footwork was amazing and he did it at pace which made it even more amazing.

I'm not sure if you have understood my post as I don't underrate anybody: I just express a personal preference.

:lol: The 2 all time highscoring CL campaigns with 17 and 16 goals and he was "so average" :lol:

Messi being better at penalties is worth about even more :lol: :lol: :lol:

Messi is 2 years and 4 months younger, how is that 3 years? I know Messi fans like to bend facts, but surely a simple matter of dates cannot be manipulated this way. :rolleyes:
I'm more interested in what Ronaldo's arsehole tastes like. Care to share?

Ps, he was average in the finals of those competitions, like he was after going off for Portugal yet apparently masterminded that too.

I'm not a Messi 'fan'. He's just better. At everything pretty much. Even if i concede penalties (which is the only thing you lot seem to be sticking to) he's still better at everything else.

Messi is currently 29, Ronaldo is currently 32. To say you're being pedantic is an understatement. You're like a baby.

Yawn.

This tired old shite gets trotted out all the time.

If Messi were Maltese would we still bring this up?

Ps, Ronaldo did nothing in the final for Portugal.

But he isnt? He has been playing for one of the best international sides in the world and achieve feck all.

P.S If ronaldo hadnt gotten injured he would have done something in the final.

Ps, he was average in the finals of those competitions, like he was after going off for Portugal yet apparently masterminded that too.

I'm not a Messi 'fan'. He's just better. At everything pretty much. Even if i concede penalties (which is the only thing you lot seem to be sticking to) he's still better at everything else.

Messi is currently 29, Ronaldo is currently 32. To say you're being pedantic is an understatement. You're like a baby.

Also, you obviously are a messi fan similar to how cal is ronaldo's so please stop posting you are not.

Yet you've done the same thing repeatedly at club level. It's as clear that Ronaldo had a better platform to excel internationally in the same way that Cristiano has benefited from a stronger club platform to put up those sensational numbers.

He was so average in those 2 finals he managed to score in both. On the other hand, Messi was so outstanding time and again for Argentina with them losing final after final. :lol:

Ronaldo is better at almost everything except dribbling, but Denilson was a good dribbler too.

By your logic, someone born Jun 11, 2010 is 2 years older than someone born Jun 13, 2011.

Last edited:
Messi is 12 days away from being 30. If one person is born on June 11th 1990 and another is born June 13th 1993, would you say there's four years between them today? It's not being pedantic. It's looking beyond their age in mere years. You're somehow subtracting 29.98 from 32.45 and getting 3.00.

I don't get why you're trying to nitpick on things where the numbers tell the whole story. For anyone wanting to argue that Messi is the better player staying away from the numbers is the smart thing to do, since the biggest difference between them lies within the areas of football that isn't shown by number of goals, assists, penalties and such.

Anyways... I've seen you've had a shocker in several threads these last few days. Good luck getting promoted.

I won't be too hopeful of getting promoted here with posts like these.

Surely, one mod must have picked up on this nonsense?

Messi is not better at everything. Ronaldo is faster, stronger, better at long range shooting, better at heading, better defensively (which is shocking as far as Messi is concerned) and better at finishing inside the box. Messi is better at dribbling, better at passing, free kicks these days, link-up play, play-making and ball control.

He was so average in those 2 finals he managed to score in both. On the other hand, Messi was so outstanding time and again for Argentina with them losing final after final. :lol:

Ronaldo is better at almost everything except dribbling, but Denilson was a good dribbler too.

By your logic, someone born Jun 11, 2010 is 2 years older than someone born Jun 13, 2011.

Creativity? Passing?

He probably falls outside the top 10. His stats are great and you have to commend his consistency but his overall game doesn't compare with the true GOATs and unlike the other legendary forwards he has to be placed below some of the best defenders in history.

Statistically, both in individual terms and what his teams achieved he has a very strong case to be considered. His constancy and durability at the world-class level are also strong arguments. Movement and killer instinct are second to none. Also, all objective arguments.

For me, he fails for some other reasons, maybe more subjective. There is not much excitement in his play (strangely, especially in Madrid), not so many standout overall performances during his career where he would single-handedly rip the teams apart, and he isn't so threatening or has a fear factor when he isn't in the box. With others (Maradona, even Messi or Brazilian Ronaldo) you've got the sense that they had the ability to rip other defenses long way from opposition box, in unthreatening situations like someone already mentioned.

But, overall, I can see why someone can build the case for him and definitely should not be excluded in these debates, especially after what he achieved in this last year.

He probably falls outside the top 10. His stats are great and you have to commend his consistency but his overall game doesn't compare with the true GOATs and unlike the other legendary forwards he has to be placed below some of the best defenders in history.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone who doesn't think he's top 4 of all time has serious issues, never mind top 10.

Maradona
Messi
Pele
Puskas
Di Stef
R9 - Peak far higher than anything Cr7 has managed.

He's a poacher, an an amazing one, but thats it. GOAT, dont make me laugh.

Maradona
Messi
Pele
Puskas
Di Stef

How much have you seen of Puskas or Di Steffano?

As for Luiz Ronaldo? :lol: Don't make me laugh, he doesn't even feature in the top 20-30.

How much have you seen of Puskas or Di Steffano?

As for Luiz Ronaldo? :lol: Don't make me laugh, he doesn't even feature in the top 20-30.

Now you go the same route which other poster did when he said that Cristiano isn't in top 10.

Maradona
Messi
Pele
Puskas
Di Stef

Pele below Maradona and Messi? Are you sure?

Also, by your logic R9 probably "peak" higher than Messi too, is he better than Messi?