Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's exactly what we need imo. Strong and domineering, box-to-box, can score goals and help out in defence, Premiership proven, a bit of a nutter. What's not to like?

Give pumpkins is a lovely phrase it means to reject, but it's about unrequited love.

Thus Bayern can offer their hand in marriage and just get a pumpkin in return.

Maybe the game isn't over. We just have to wait to see who gets the pumpkin and who gets the ring.

I've found the Daily Mail article that the Mundo Deportivo one is referring to so we can all dismiss it as bullshit.

The Old Trafford side, however, remain confident that a £17million deal can be concluded with the player understood to have provisionally agreed terms on a five-year contract.​
Moyes had hoped to tie up the deal early this week but as United jet off on their pre-season tour of Asia and Australia, the new manager does so in the knowledge that he has been unable to complete any major signings since officially taking over at Old Trafford last week.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ich-blow-Manchester-United.html#ixzz2YqpJSOq7

Give pumpkins is a lovely phrase it means to reject, but it's about unrequited love.

Thus Bayern can offer their hand in marriage and just get a pumpkin in return.

Maybe the game isn't over. We just have to wait to see who gets the pumpkin and who gets the ring.

Thanks, that makes sense now. But see my last post for the Daily Mail shite they based their article on :(

He's exactly what we need imo. Strong and domineering, box-to-box, can score goals and help out in defence, Premiership proven, a bit of a nutter. What's not to like?

He'd be ideal for games in Europe to partner Carrick. For majority of the PL games, we dont need that much defensive solidity. A more creative player who can put in a reasonable defensive shift would be preferable.

As an aside, his goals have a lot to do with where he played for Everton of late. Definitely not someone you can rely on for goals when playing as a traditional CM.

He wasnt Box to Box last year and that was the first season he's looked all that good. He scored goals yes and much more, but from Wayne Rooney's position. He isn't going to do what he did last year for Everton, from playing central midfield. He was also bought for a lot of money so Everton will expect a fair bit of profit.

He'll cost how effective he is up front, not how good he is in central midfield which is a lot less

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think signing Fellaini wouldn't be too bad. PL proven, a beast in midfield, scores goals and has bags of technique. I don't know about his passing, but I don't understand when people slate the possibility of us signing him.

Because you'd be spending upwards of 20m on a player who has spent the last two seasons playing a a number 10. He did well in a deeper role a couple of seasons ago but we haven't seen him progress from that brigade he's playing further forward. Surely if we're gonna be spending 20m plus there are better options? Plus he still wouldn't solve the need for a creator. I think we need cover/long term replacement for carrick and a creative player but if we're gonna spend decent cash it should be on the latter unless theres a star out there for the more defensive role and as I said fellaini hasn't played that role enough recently.

He'd be ideal for games in Europe to partner Carrick. For majority of the PL games, we dont need that much defensive solidity. A more creative player who can put in a reasonable defensive shift would be preferable.

As an aside, his goals have a lot to do with where he played for Everton of late. Definitely not someone you can rely on for goals when playing as a traditional CM.

I recognise that, but imo he's found his eye for goals and would still be by a good distance the biggest threat we have from corners and set pieces. We'd sign him as a CM but there's no reason why we couldn't throw him forward in open play to hassle opponents if other outlets weren't producing. As for creativity, he's actually rather skillful with the ball at his feet for a big guy (though passing isn't his greatest strength, he's good in tight spots with excellent control over the ball) and links defence to attack really well in the transitional phase which for me is of utmost importance and why I favour solid, driving players like Diame or Wanyama to the continental style Spanish midgets. He could stand in for Carrick as well as partner him; this is very important as we need a Plan B for when Carrick isn't playing.

DdG
Rafael - Rio - Vidic - Evra
Carrick - Fellaini
Valencia - Kagawa - Nani
RvP

DdG
Rafael - Jones - Evans - Evra
Zaha - Fellaini - Cleverley - Welbeck
RvP - Rooney​

We need a plan A for when Carrick is playing, and that should be priority over a £25 million plan B

Go all out for Cesc
You reckon Barcelona are going to stand by and let two homegrown CMs leave in the same summer? Cesc will get a bigger role in CM this season imo as opposed to false nine, given that they have Neymar as another forward now. It's exactly why Thiago is leaving.

Are you being serious?
I think he's wumming.

He wasnt Box to Box last year and that was the first season he's looked all that good. He scored goals yes and much more, but from Wayne Rooney's position. He isn't going to do what he did last year for Everton, from playing central midfield. He was also bought for a lot of money so Everton will expect a fair bit of profit.

He'll cost how effective he is up front, not how good he is in central midfield which is a lot less

If you haven't noticed Fellaini's talent until he started scoring goals then more fool you. He's been great for Everton as soon as he settled there whether he played CM DCM or FC.

You don't think he could partner Carrick?

He could but it would be a rather ordinary sight for that kind of fee. He'd still be a step up on Carrick-Cleverley on the whole, although I think you could argue that we as a team play better with Cleverley in there to play his quick passing style. We'd certainly lose that with Fellaini. I think most agree that we'd want a very accomplished passer in there instead and while Fellaini can pass, thats just not him.

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm really against us signing a player we've been heavily linked with. Can't explain why, I just don't like him. And I was excited for Young and Owen!

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm really against us signing a player we've been heavily linked with. Can't explain why, I just don't like him. And I was excited for Young and Owen!

Might have something to with sticking his elbows in everyone's face

He could but it would be a rather ordinary sight for that kind of fee. He'd still be a step up on Carrick-Cleverley on the whole, although I think you could argue that we as a team play better with Cleverley in there to play his quick passing style. We'd certainly lose that with Fellaini. I think most agree that we'd want a very accomplished passer in there instead and while Fellaini can pass, thats just not him.

Most might agree, but so what? Football isn't a game of general consensus. We need a tough, driving player in the Diame, Toure, Wanyama, Fellaini mould to solidify our midfield; we've enough accomplished passers, we've nobody with bollocks who can withstand a challenge or get in the opposition's faces.

More fool all the clubs that didnt sign him before this summer eh

Yeah I guess so. What's your point?

You reckon Barcelona are going to stand by and let two homegrown CMs leave in the same summer? Cesc will get a bigger role in CM this season imo as opposed to false nine, given that they have Neymar as another forward now. It's exactly why Thiago is leaving.

I think he's wumming.
I don't think they'd sell but out of those on the list he's the one I'd want the most

He's tough but certainly not driving.

He's a good option for inferior teams with less ambitious styles of play. For us he would be an overpriced target man played out of position.

Just because this is the first season you noticed him, does not mean the rest are as blind as you

His skillset is so unsuited to that of a good Premiership midfielder it's unreal. Can't believe some of you want him. Dirty cnut as well.

It's too early to jump aboard the desperation train with talk of Fellaini, just because Thiago seems like he's gonna feck off to Bayern the Caf goes to hell in a hand basket!

I recognise that, but imo he's found his eye for goals and would still be by a good distance the biggest threat we have from corners and set pieces. We'd sign him as a CM but there's no reason why we couldn't throw him forward in open play to hassle opponents if other outlets weren't producing. As for creativity, he's actually rather skillful with the ball at his feet for a big guy (though passing isn't his greatest strength, he's good in tight spots with excellent control over the ball) and links defence to attack really well in the transitional phase which for me is of utmost importance and why I favour solid, driving players like Diame or Wanyama to the continental style Spanish midgets. He could stand in for Carrick as well as partner him; this is very important as we need a Plan B for when Carrick isn't playing.

DdG​
Rafael - Rio - Vidic - Evra​
Carrick - Fellaini​
Valencia - Kagawa - Nani​
RvP​
DdG​
Rafael - Jones - Evans - Evra​
Zaha - Fellaini - Cleverley - Welbeck​
RvP - Rooney​

Most of his goals come due to the position he plays rather than his eye for goal per se. He'd be our biggest aerial threat alongside Vidic but thats no reason to buy a CM. O do agree he's good in tight spaces but he excels more in bringing the ball down on his chest and working from there rather than using quick skillful feet in tight areas. Same with linking the attack in transitional phases, due to the fundamental difference in the way we play, he wont be an asset in that sense.

As I see it, he'd be a perfect Plan B as you rightly said in Carrick's absence and also form a solid middle 2 in Europe to allow us to play both RVP and Rooney. But, in 80% of the prem games, he'd be unnecessary solidity in the middle which we dont need. He isnt a very good passer either which should be a priority. Much rather have a more attacking player there. As I dont see us buying 2 CMs , I'd rather we focus more on immediate needs than backup.

Solid addition to the squad but we can do better/need a different type of CM.

Most might agree, but so what? Football isn't a game of general consensus. We need a tough, driving player in the Diame, Toure, Wanyama, Fellaini mould to solidify our midfield; we've enough accomplished passers, we've nobody with bollocks who can withstand a challenge or get in the opposition's faces.

If we needed one of those players how do you explain how successful we've been without them?

Yeah I guess so. What's your point?
I dont know, maybe that you're talking horseshit. Fellaini is linked to us and strongly linked with Arsenal because of this past season. Before that? I guess nobody could see his quality like you could.

Wouldnt call all the managers in the league blind, but I guess you know better than them

oh yeah I forgot you were on speaking terms with every manager in the league as you are obviously aware of their feelings towards Fellaini

If we miss out on Thiago I say we dip into this "money for a big signing" that SAF mentioned, and test Dortmund's resolve on Gundogan or Juve's on Vidal.
Gundohan was my choice. Can't see us putting in the kind of offer that would force dortmund to think though. We should do the same as bayern did for Martinez and pay big money for him. He has the quality to justify it. Brilliant footballer. Best young central midfielder around IMO.

Gundohan was my choice. Can't see us putting in the kind of offer that would force dortmund to think though. We should do the same as bayern did for Martinez and pay big money for him. He has the quality to justify it. Brilliant footballer. Best young central midfielder around IMO.

Gundogan's already stated his desire to stay there atleast this season. Having lost Gotze and with Lewandowski leaving next season, I dont see them accepting any sort of offer specially with them improving financially now.

If we needed one of those players how do you explain how successful we've been without them?

By that logic we don't need anybody.

I dont know, maybe that you're talking horseshit. Fellaini is linked to us and strongly linked with Arsenal because of this past season. Before that? I guess nobody could see his quality like you could.

Moyes paid £15m for him.

Again though, your logic here doesn't make sense. Does a player have to have been linked with CL sides in the press in the past before one can acknowledge that he might have been a talented player in the past? How do you know who has or hasn't enquired about Fellaini over the years?

You do know that the press talk a load of codshit, right? What difference does it make who's been 'linked with' whom or who's apparently 'in for' whom when discussing a player's ability?

Gundogan's already stated his desire to stay there atleast this season. Having lost Gotze and with Lewandowski leaving next season, I dont see them accepting any sort of offer specially with them improving financially now.
Not sure about that. Would dortmund turn down 40 million pounds? It would definitely make them think.

Status
Not open for further replies.