Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not good enough to be our midfield solution. He's just not. The fact that people are now turning to the idea of him shows how desperate the Thiago situation made us. Lunacy.

It's all well and good saying we should sign Fellaini on the grounds of him being a big, fouling, niggling spoiler - but Roy Keane was an absolutely sublime footballer as well. An excellent passer. A good goalscorer. A reader of the game.

Fellaini is a good goalscorer, but not anything else that's required of a United midfielder. It isn't enough to be a big, fouling, niggling spoiler to do a job in a United midfield. It's not snobbery, it's logic. The top sides might have nasty players, but you can be sure they're pretty fecking good footballers as well!

As for Fletcher, many are of the opinion he was never good enough to be a first XI United midfielder even at his best, and he was a hell of a lot more accomplished technically than Fellaini is.

All I can say is that you're underestimating Fellaini. That's fine, I understand; many underestimated Fletcher too.

I want somebody good enough to come into the starting 11 and make a difference. Im all for getting McCarthy as a squad player/prospect but we need some real quality.

BTW I don t think we ll be signing Fellaini. More likely, we ll see more of Jones and Cleverley in midfield and we ll sign another central defender. IMO.

He's not good enough to be our midfield solution. He's just not. The fact that people are now turning to the idea of him shows how desperate the Thiago situation made us. Lunacy.

It's nothing to do with Thiago. The Fellaini discussion began long before Thiago was even on the radar. Don't be such a muppet.

All I can say is that you're underestimating Fellaini. That's fine, I understand; many underestimated Fletcher too.

As a midfielder Fellaini isn't a good enough player for a top side. As an AM possibly, but not as our AM, and he's not much compared to Rooney/Kagawa/van Persie, his competition were he to move here.

As for Fletcher, that's very much true. I think at his best he was a good midfielder who was excellent as a destroyer, but that was as much because of his ability to do something with the ball when he won it as his work rate.

Fletcher was a far better CM than Fellaini is. A peak-Fletcher at Everton would be their lynchpin in CM.

Nemanja Matic MIGHT be an option if we fail to get Thiago but Mou is also a big fan of him.

Not under estimating his niggling spoiling capabilities just where he likes to employ them. I reckon he does it best in the oppos half, not sure he sees himself as that much of a defensive midfielder does he? I seem to remember something about him wanting to play in his preferred position at one stage early last season but I can't remember whether it was further forward are at cm, think it might have been cm actually. Does he put a huge shift in back in is own half? Not what I think of him being best at. Am I wrong?

Fellaini was a good defensive midfielder, a few seasons ago he was right up there stat wise and he was an interesting player but as I've said he's simply not demonstrated any progress there as for the last season and a half or so he's played as a number ten, a role he's certainly not good enough for at a top club. He would be a great squad option, someone who can come in if you need some extra steel or as a completely different option if you needed to change something in attack, but not as a starter. We have a lack of good options for Carrick, I wouldn't deny that he'd start over clev/ando etc more often than not most likely but that's more about their current level than his, he wouldn't get in to any top side I can think off.

I suppose though Moyes will know him as well as he possibly could, and would know how good he can be in a deeper role again, although personally I still don't see how he would justify his likely price tag. Although it might be a case of calling Everton's hand. How much is Martinez going to want to use him? Either way I hope there are other players we look at before Fellaini, unless we could get a good deal.

Not under estimating his niggling spoiling capabilities just where he likes to employ them. I reckon he does it best in the oppos half, not sure he sees himself as that much of a defensive midfielder does he? I seem to remember something about him wanting to play in his preferred position at one stage early last season but I can't remember whether it was further forward are at cm, think it might have been cm actually. Does he put a huge shift in back in is own half? Not what I think of him being best at. Am I wrong?

No I think you're right; he plays best just past the halfway line. If he played for United Carrick would be the deeper of the two when defending.

I think with Fellaini, you have to look at not only what he brings to the table himself, but what he allows other players to do. With Fellaini next to Carrick, imagine the freedom Kagawa would have. Granted we wouldn't spend a further 20m just to let Kagawa have a little freedom, but if he fits in the side and makes us a better team, I'd sign him even if he's not the most talented individual available.

I think with Fellaini, you have to look at not only what he brings to the table himself, but what he allows other players to do. With Fellaini next to Carrick, imagine the freedom Kagawa would have. Granted we wouldn't spend a further 20m just to let Kagawa have a little freedom, but if he fits in the side and makes us a better team, I'd sign him even if he's not the most talented individual available.

Yeah but do you think he's worth at least £20m as a holding midfielder? I think he would help to free up kagawa, he'd free up carrick to push a little further and orchestrate the team as well imo, but I can't see how he'd be worth 20m minimum.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think signing Fellaini wouldn't be too bad. PL proven, a beast in midfield, scores goals and has bags of technique. I don't know about his passing, but I don't understand when people slate the possibility of us signing him.

I agree. To me Fellaini could be the type of player that fills the void in midfield. I think he's a proven player in the Premiership and may be a valuable asset in the team.

He will blend in nicely in Moyes' new tactics.

To be honest, I'd love a surprise signing. One any one of us were expecting. I feel like one of them now.

Give me Pablo Tabasco from Ecuador.

Yeah but do you think he's worth at least £20m as a holding midfielder? I think he would help to free up kagawa, he'd free up carrick to push a little further and orchestrate the team as well imo, but I can't see how he'd be worth 20m minimum.

£20m to solve our midfield issues? A bargain I'd say.

That's kind of how I meant that you wouldn't particularly think he's a £20m on his own, but him signing would make our side enough better to justify the cost. He's certainly £2m better than Ashley Young, anyway.

It's obviously not the ideal situation, but if it's the only one available, we'd be silly to push on with what we've got that obviously isn't working.

£20m to solve our midfield issues? A bargain I'd say.

It doesn't solve the problem though, it'd help but I don't think it would solve it at all, we'd still be missing someone in the middle to compete with the best.

No I think you're right; he plays best just past the halfway line. If he played for United Carrick would be the deeper of the two when defending.
I do agree with you that we do need some bite in midfield, sometimes we are getting bullied by sides who get there tactics right and we don't have the player to disrupt their play, Is Fellaini that player? Is 24 million too much? Are we interested? Guess we will find out soon. If we do buy him I would like us to buy McCarthy or some other young ball player as well, and I think we will, I reckon Fergie left a fair sized warchest to refit the midfield.

That's kind of how I meant that you wouldn't particularly think he's a £20m on his own, but him signing would make our side enough better to justify the cost. He's certainly £2m better than Ashley Young, anyway.

It's obviously not the ideal situation, but if it's the only one available, we'd be silly to push on with what we've got that obviously isn't working.

Using an example of a player we over paid for isn't great. At 20m he's also around 4m cheaper than Mata cost and 3m more expensive than Carzola, Modric was bought for around 16m, and 20m is likely the minimum we'd pay. I'd rather keep the 20m and give Cleveley more of a chance to step up and wait for a better player than spend upwards of 20 on Fellaini.

Your pursuit of supposedly 'marquee' signings like Alcantara end in failure. Meanwhile, 'unregarded' players like Paulinho - he didn't ever play for Barca after all - go elsewhere.

That's your CM recruitment problem in a nutshell.

Your pursuit of supposedly 'marquee' signings like Alcantara end in failure. Meanwhile, 'unregarded' players like Paulinho - he didn't ever play for Barca after all - go elsewhere.

Thank God, we have Carrick from that famous elsewhere club.

Paulhino isn't good enough for Man Utd - he's a £10M player who's adequate for Spurs but a poor balance with Sandro (one of them will end up as backup for the other).

Thank God, we have Carrick from that famous elsewhere club.

Yes, signed 7 years ago. He'll be 32 years-old in a couple of weeks, with Fletcher or Jones as backup and Anderson as partner. But of course the pursuit of Alcantara was a smokescreen for the fact that you don't really need anyone.

And despite our failures to sign any good players, and Spurs signing all the amazing players available, we win titles while you don't qualify for the champions league.

Now, feck off, troll.

He's a tier 2 player. Spurs are his level.

Paulhino isn't good enough for Man Utd - he's a £10M player who's adequate for Spurs but a poor balance with Sandro (one of them will end up as backup for the other).

Sure. Both of them good enough for Brazil, but not for MUFC :lol:

Ah, thanks for that. I'm awaiting your summary of our trophy winning problem and how we can learn from Spurs in that regard.

And despite our failures to sign any good players, and Spurs signing all the amazing players available, we win titles while you don't qualify for the champions league.

Now, feck off, troll.

I believe the subject is your CM. But I can understand why you wish to change the subject.

Sure. Both of them good enough for Brazil, but not for MUFC :lol:

Brazil have a pretty poor midfield tbf. Paulinho is about Spurs level at the moment.. He could well take a step up when he gets to Spurs, but I don't despair that Spurs got to him first.

Yes, signed 7 years ago. He'll be 32 years-old in a couple of weeks, with Fletcher or Jones as backup and Anderson as partner. But of course the pursuit of Alcantara was a smokescreen for the fact that you don't really need anyone.

Yes, Glaston, my friend... 7 years ago, You had indeed a high quality midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.