Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gündogan is even more unrealistic target then Thiago atm. His father who is also his agent told a few weeks back that they plan for him to stay at Dortmund for at least 2-3 more years and are hoping to work out a new contract with Dortmund before the start of the new season.

If he signs a new contract with them it will probably run till 2017/18 which means for the next 3-4 season he won't be available for anything less then €40m+.

I'd consider looking at Alan Dzagoev if I was Moyes. You could get him relatively cheaper then most of our other "targets".

I could see somebody paying 40 million for Gundogan though. Or I could have if the other top sides in Europe weren't already stocked with 40 million pound midfielders. He's somebody I would be happy for us to spend big money on. Fellaini is not good enough to play in centre midfield against the best teams. It would be a spoiling tactic.

Anybody watch Christian Eriksen on a regular basis? I know he's mainly used to playing AM but I was wondering what he's like at playing CM.
Strootman looks set for Roma I think he would have been a good signing. He would have added to our first team squad and is at a good age and price range. I have no idea who we will be in for now but Fellaini looks to be an obvious target.

Moyes is such a muppet I wouldn't put it past him. £40M on Baines and Fellaini - none of these Latin ponces.

Interesting that Moyes practically said that we are chasing transfer targets and it's going well with them, so when asked if that also counts for Thiago he said that he never mentioned him to be a transfer target so I guess one thing will remain the same under Moyes as it was under Fergie, the transfer targets will probably never be those that are mentioned in the press the most.

Actually I think most of our first team signings do get mentioned. Its just there are about 40 names between each correct one

Because we dont have any players in the squad of any type? We have plenty. You're saying we need a type of midfielder we havent had. We were successful. Explain

You argued that we haven't had a Fellainiesque midfielder before now and been successful so why would we need one.

By that same reasoning one could argue that we've been successful with our current batch of midfielders so why would we need any new ones?

Success in football doesn't equate to progression not being a requirement.

Despite that, how do you know that we wouldn't have been even more successful with such a midfielder in the side? The 'successful without so no need' argument doesn't hold water for a number of different reasons; I shouldn't have to explain that to somebody on a football forum.

Let's not forget also that we have a new manager at the helm for the first time I'm nearly thirty years. Whatever style of play you might think you're used to (personally I think SAF continuously altered United's style of play throughout his career), there are no guarantees that we're gonna stick to it.

Anybody watch Christian Eriksen on a regular basis? I know he's mainly used to playing AM but I was wondering what he's like at playing CM.
Strootman looks set for Roma I think he would have been a good signing. He would have added to our first team squad and is at a good age and price range. I have no idea who we will be in for now but Fellaini looks to be an obvious target.
I've watched him play on telly twice, and really liked him (if it's the same one i'm thinking of). Wasn't he linked to the scousers at one point?

Anyway the first game i saw him in he really stood out.

What about the argument that he's shit?

Arsenal couldn't beat Everton last year, two draws. United got beat by them and were absolutely bossed by Fellaini on the opening day of the season. City drew one and lost one. Spurs drew one and lost one. Only Chelsea did well against Everton with two wins.

Everton against the top five:
3 wins
4 draws
3 loses

Fellaini was at the center of it all.

Nobody is doubting his skill, but he hasn’t really been developing much during the last seasons, despite being 21 years old. He has basically only developed his off-ball-movement. Some scouts I’ve been talking to think Eriksen has failed to show enough consistancy, winning-mentality and leadership in order to be worth anywhere near Ajax’ asking price. They want him to dominate Eredivisie games more than he does; take more resonsability and show he’s a winner.

http://www.dutchfootball-league.com/all-quiet-on-the-eriksen-front/

Arsenal couldn't beat Everton last year, two draws. United got beat by them and were absolutely bossed by Fellaini on the opening day of the season.

He bosses us by being the big man behind the striker that they pumped balls to.

Do we really want such a player?

You argued that we haven't had a Fellainiesque midfielder before now and been successful so why would we need one.

By that same reasoning one could argue that we've been successful with our current batch of midfielders so why would we need any new ones?

Success in football doesn't equate to progression not being a requirement.

Despite that, how do you know that we wouldn't have been even more successful with such a midfielder in the side? The 'successful without so no need' argument doesn't hold water for a number of different reasons; I shouldn't have to explain that to somebody on a football forum.

Let's not forget also that we have a new manager at the helm for the first time I'm nearly thirty years. Whatever style of play you might think you're used to (personally I think SAF continuously altered United's style of play throughout his career), there are no guarantees that we're gonna stick to it.

Fellainiesque? You described the average ball winning midfielder. Something we definitely havent had since Fletcher has had his health problems and we're successful anyway.

Fellainiesque? You described the average ball winning midfielder. Something we definitely havent had since Fletcher has had his health problems and we're successful anyway.

Well we haven't had Thiago either and been successful anyway. I guess he'd be no good either; feck it we've been successful without him.

Arsenal couldn't beat Everton last year, two draws. United got beat by them and were absolutely bossed by Fellaini on the opening day of the season. City drew one and lost one. Spurs drew one and lost one. Only Chelsea did well against Everton with two wins.

Everton against the top five:
3 wins
4 draws
3 loses

Fellaini was at the center of it all.
And what's your point? They also lost 2-0 to West Brom where Fellaini played like a bag of shit and squandered about 134 chances. (Maybe a bit of an exaggeration)

You can't just point out his good performances, especially as most players are gonna raise their games against us/City/Chelsea etc. What about the games like Stoke away or Norwich where he could very easily disappear?

He's a big, fouling, niggling spoiler who is just not good enough for us. You really think Fellaini is gonna do a job for us in Europe against the likes of Bayern, Madrid or even PSG/Juve? Do me a favour.

He bosses us by being the big man behind the striker that they pumped balls to.

Do we really want such a player?

Good question. I don't think we do. He's not awful and he has his uses, but the fact that he has "bossed" us on several occasions doesn't say that much about his usefulness for us. Moyes used him wisely against us, in a particular role, playing like an underdog against a better team. It's not really a model to emulate for us. As a midfielder, on a day-to-day basis - so to speak - I don't think he could be anything more than a squad man for us. And we could do better elsewhere without paying nearly as much.

And what's your point? They also lost 2-0 to West Brom where Fellaini played like a bag of shit and squandered about 134 chances. (Maybe a bit of an exaggeration)

You can't just point out his good performances.

He's a big, fouling, niggling spoiler who is just not good enough for us. You really think Fellaini is gonna do a job for us in Europe against the likes of Bayern, Madrid or even PSG/Juve? Do me a favour.

same thing happened when we signed Carrick ...at the time he was labelled a Fletcher clone (flletcher was also referred to as the 'scottish player' and was probably the most abused united player by so called 'fans'

same thing happened when we signed Carrick ...at the time he was labelled a Fletcher clone (flletcher was also referred to as the 'scottish player' and was probably the most abused united player by so called 'fans'
Yeh but it was a shock going from Robson then Keane for the best part of 30 years, to Carrick. When you've had a box-to-box midfield general and then Carrick comes in it's easy to overlook the job he does. It took me a while to stop complaining that he seemed to always take the easy option.

If you think Fellaini is good enough to be anything more than a squad player for this club then i don't know what i can say to convince you. Maybe if he signed for us he would adapt and fit in like a glove and bully other teams with the better players around him. Doesn't change the fact that his final ball isn't the greatest, he's not the best passer in the world and he can very easily blow hot and cold in big spells and sometimes he doesn't even work that hard.

Don't talk crap - Carrick was recognised as one of the top DMs in English football - that's why you paid £18M for him.

Don't talk crap - Carrick was recognised as one of the top DMs in English football - that's why you paid £18M for him.
Yeah, he was very elegant and clearly a player capable of fitting into a good side. Fellaini is a tough midfielder who uses his power a lot, not sure that's what many top clubs would want. He'd certainly not start for any other top club.

Yeh but it was a shock going from Robson then Keane for the best part of 30 years, to Carrick. When you've had a box-to-box midfield general and then Carrick comes in it's easy to overlook the job he does. It took me a while to stop complaining that he seemed to always take the easy option.

If you think Fellaini is good enough to be anything more than a squad player for this club then i don't know what i can say to convince you. Maybe if he signed for us he would adapt and fit in like a glove and bully other teams with the better players around him. Doesn't change the fact that his final ball isn't the greatest, he's not the best passer in the world and he can very easily blow hot and cold in big spells and sometimes he doesn't even work that hard.

Thing is, we'd be capable of getting good results with Fellaini here because he's really tough to play against so in that aspect he might fit in and bring something to the table. We won't improve the quality of football though.

You can't just point out his good performances, especially as most players are gonna raise their games against us/City/Chelsea etc. What about the games like Stoke away or Norwich where he could very easily disappear?

Look, I think United could do with a big, fouling, niggling spoiler.

Time and again teams played right through us last season because our midfield was weak. It's not just the big teams who can play good attacking football; how many times were we nearly beaten by teams from the lower half? Our midfield is porous and lacking in height and strength; the most sublime passing Spanish midget in the world isn't going to address that issue. Good passing isn't something the squad is lacking.

It's just football snobbery to say that such players are beneath United. I didn't hear anyone complaining when Roy Keane was battling for the club or when Fletcher ran around tackling everyone. If a big, niggling spoiler would solve an issue with our midfield then a big, niggling spoiler I'll welcome with open arms.

I don't think that's comparable. And in defense of the so-called "fans" I would say that Fletcher had some growing pains - some real growing pains. It wasn't obvious at all at one stage that he would come good - at least not to me. Not that it justifies the no doubt OTT abuse he got, but he wasn't great at one stage.

If what you're suggesting is mainly that United fans have a tendency to underrate less than flashy signings, however, you do have a point. I don't think it's one that covers the Fellaini issue, though. He might be good in a certain kind of set-up, but that's about it.

Yeah, he was very elegant and clearly a player capable of fitting into a good side. Fellaini is a tough midfielder who uses his power a lot, not sure that's what many top clubs would want. He'd certainly not start for any other top club.

At the time, many fans were ignoring his good qualities - they wanted another Keane. However Fergie, as usual, was a step or two in front of anyone else and was proved right. I just hope it's the same with Moyes...as long as the fans give him a chance and tolerate him not buying their favourite player...

Time and again teams played right through us last season because our midfield was weak. It's not just the big teams who can play good attacking football; how many times were we nearly beaten by teams from the lower half? Our midfield is porous and lacking in height and strength; the most sublime passing Spanish midget in the world isn't going to address that issue.

It's just football snobbery to say that such players are beneath United. I didn't hear anyone complaining when Roy Keane was battling for the club or when Fletcher ran around tackling everyone. If a big, niggling spoiler would solve an issue with our midfield then a big, niggling spoiler I'll welcome with open arms.

I don't disagree with this in principle. There's more than one way to play football efficiently. I just don't think Fellaini is the right man even for a "destroyer" job. As others have pointed us he disrupted our game from a very advanced position, not as an old school, "destructive" DM (a kind of player that is out of fashion at the moment, but who may still have his uses in the right kind of match).

Time and again teams played right through us last season because our midfield was weak. It's not just the big teams who can play good attacking football; how many times were we nearly beaten by teams from the lower half? Our midfield is porous and lacking in height and strength; the most sublime passing Spanish midget in the world isn't going to address that issue. Good passing isn't something the squad is lacking.

It's all well and good saying we should sign Fellaini on the grounds of him being a big, fouling, niggling spoiler - but Roy Keane was an absolutely sublime footballer as well. An excellent passer. A good goalscorer. A reader of the game.

Fellaini is a good goalscorer, but not anything else that's required of a United midfielder. It isn't enough to be a big, fouling, niggling spoiler to do a job in a United midfield. It's not snobbery, it's logic. The top sides might have nasty players, but you can be sure they're pretty fecking good footballers as well!

As for Fletcher, many are of the opinion he was never good enough to be a first XI United midfielder even at his best, and he was a hell of a lot more accomplished technically than Fellaini is.

yes at the time wenger tried to sign him too ..... as he s doing with Fellaini now...

It's all well and good saying we should sign Fellaini on the grounds of him being a big, fouling, niggling spoiler - but Roy Keane was an absolutely sublime footballer as well. An excellent passer. A good goalscorer. A reader of the game.

Fellaini is a good goalscorer, but not anything else that's required of a United midfielder. It isn't enough to be a big, fouling, niggling spoiler to do a job in a United midfield. It's not snobbery, it's logic. The top sides might have nasty players, but you can be sure they're pretty fecking good footballers as well!

As for Fletcher, many are of the opinion he was never good enough to be a first XI United midfielder even at his best, and he was a hell of a lot more accomplished technically than Fellaini is.

Fletcher not good enough? You must be joking....

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mourinho-on-darren-fletcher.250892/

Status
Not open for further replies.