Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until United start acting like other big clubs in the transfer market, which includes pandering to agents, stumping up big wages, and stumping up massive transfer fees in the region of £35-£50 million euros, then almost any excellent central midfielder mentioned in this thread is nothing more than a pipe dream.

It's the reason we signed Fellaini, and it's also the reason there is a clamour to sign somebody from Newcastle United in Cabaye, due to him being "realistic." When Real Madrid drew up their transfer plans at the start of the Summer, there was nothing realistic about spending £30 million on Illaramendi and £80 million on Gareth Bale. They went out and did it, though. Yes, the game is a nonsense. The window is madness. But they don't give out prizes for transfer morality. The market moved on without Manchester United and until United catch up and guys like Woodward start putting the money where the mouth is, players like Gundogan, Vidal amongst others, will always be dubbed as unrealistic, even though they'll somehow end up at Barcelona or Real Madrid at some point down the line.

So, either the club genuinely can't afford to spend the extra money, which is fine if finances are that tight. However, if the money is there, the approach must change.

Juventus don't do that and yet they got a CM which is much stronger then ours. What we need is a good scouting net and a pinch (or two) of humility. We can't keep on signing mid table EPL level midfielders and expect them to become world class players (the times of Keane and Ince are over, there's no such talent at this level anymore) AND we simply need to stop thinking that unless a CM is a world class player he won't improve us. Lets face it apart from Carrick all our CM vary from above average to cack.

The thing is, we can't afford the aces of midfielder, can't we just go out and fecking buy some 8-15M players.

We've only got Carrick and the rest can be written off, surely buying 1 - 2 squad player is a shrewd move.

But no, we go for Cesc, Gundogan, all the big aces with the money of a kid's allowance and ended up with Fellaini

We overpaid for the wrong midfielder in the summer. With the position we're in, we're not likely to get someone in that's good value - selling clubs know that we're desperate, which is why we got taken to the cleaners over Fellaini. We should have paid a premium for Herrera instead, someone who speaks the lingo, and has the appropriate skill-set. I can't be the only one who watches Fellaini and then shakes their head in utter disbelief that he cost £28m? If you look at what we paid and then you look at his ability, he must go down as pound for pound, United's most overpriced player in history. (Maybe bested only by Bebe).

When it comes to Fellaini, I don't see the point in preaching the whole patience thing. This guy just isn't appropriate for the task in hand. He's immobile, he's poor on the ball and - inexplicably - he's become a complete soft touch. Dreadful.

We should be doing everything we can to take advantage of the doubts over Gundogan's future at Dortmund and we should be going back in for Hererra. Both are a great age, both play the right way and both would take us up a notch.

We overpaid for the wrong midfielder in the summer. With the position we're in, we're not likely to get someone in that's good value - selling clubs know that we're desperate, which is why we got taken to the cleaners over Fellaini. We should have paid a premium for Herrera instead, someone who speaks the lingo, and has the appropriate skill-set. I can't be the only one who watches Fellaini and then shakes their head in utter disbelief that he cost £28m? If you look at what we paid and then you look at his ability, he must go down as pound for pound, United's most overpriced player in history. (Maybe bested only by Bebe).

When it comes to Fellaini, I don't see the point in preaching the whole patience thing. This guy just isn't appropriate for the task in hand. He's immobile, he's poor on the ball and - inexplicably - he's become a complete soft touch. Dreadful.

We should be doing everything we can to take advantage of the doubts over Gundogan's future at Dortmund and we should be going back in for Hererra. Both are a great age, both play the right way and both would take us up a notch.

I agree, we should realistically try and get both Gundogan and Herrera. I'm tired of all the 'but what about Cleverley's 'development'?' talk too. He's walked a relatively easy and unchallenged route straight into the first team of one of the biggest clubs of the world, and stayed there for nearly 3 years without being a top bracket talent. How can a club be afraid to buy a player who is better than the one we have because of a fear that he would be so good that the current one will not play instead?

Anyway, I doubt we will either try or succeed to get both of those players. We should certainly get one, and will probably need a replacement for Carrick the following summer too.

As RVP declines over the next couple of years, we should take the opportunity to rebuild the side with 3 midfielders.

Until United start acting like other big clubs in the transfer market, which includes pandering to agents, stumping up big wages, and stumping up massive transfer fees in the region of £35-£50 million euros, then almost any excellent central midfielder mentioned in this thread is nothing more than a pipe dream.

It's the reason we signed Fellaini, and it's also the reason there is a clamour to sign somebody from Newcastle United in Cabaye, due to him being "realistic." When Real Madrid drew up their transfer plans at the start of the Summer, there was nothing realistic about spending £30 million on Illaramendi and £80 million on Gareth Bale. They went out and did it, though. Yes, the game is a nonsense. The window is madness. But they don't give out prizes for transfer morality. The market moved on without Manchester United and until United catch up and guys like Woodward start putting the money where the mouth is, players like Gundogan, Vidal amongst others, will always be dubbed as unrealistic, even though they'll somehow end up at Barcelona or Real Madrid at some point down the line.

So, either the club genuinely can't afford to spend the extra money, which is fine if finances are that tight. However, if the money is there, the approach must change.

What is baffling about this "morality" you speak of is that we don't want to overpay for genuine class and then squander 18 million on Ashley Young and 27 million on Fellaini. That's 45 million pounds right there - had we signed one world class midfielder for that money we would be far better off.

We don't want to overpay for players who would walk into the first team but we're willing to overpay for squad players who did okay at other clubs in the Premier League and might improve. It's so odd on so many levels. Then again, it might be something to do with viewing 30m as some kind of magical barrier; had Everton asked for more than that for Fellaini we might have backed off from that deal. Oh well.

The poll is closed and we're not in transfer season, so no point.

Fair enough!

I'm curious to see who we go after in January/Summer though. I'm sure at this point, the management team will have their own ideas on who we need rather than sticking with Fergusons recommendations. I hope we don't spend the January window going after unrealistic players. Last thing we need is another goose chase.

Moyes has already hinted that he will not look for a quick fix in January and will look to the future. I think if we can get the players then our winter transfer window will consist of Ryan Gauld, Will Hughes and Luke Shaw or Baines
In the summer hopefully Everton will be willing to sell Barkley probably for 30 or 40 million and he can complete the jigsaw....There's no way Everton would dream of selling Barkley for the 20 million that the papers have mentioned....I'm guessing he will go for 40 million and if they don't get it now then they will hold onto him until someone is willing to pay it

Status
Not open for further replies.