Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're willing to try for Fabregas, then a number of players on that list are also possibly candidates where we might have discounted them. Gundogan, for instance - if you offer Dortmund enough money, they are the sort of club who will always be willing to at least listen.

If we're willing to try for Fabregas, then a number of players on that list are also possibly candidates where we might have discounted them. Gundogan, for instance - if you offer Dortmund enough money, they are the sort of club who will always be willing to at least listen.

Gündoğan would probably cost a good £10 million more than Fabregas, he's also not what you'd call a goal scoring midfielder, and he has no Premier League experience.

Gündoğan is obviously talented, but I never see him coming here.

Gündoğan would probably cost a good £10 million more than Fabregas, he's also not what you'd call a goal scoring midfielder, and he has no Premier League experience.

Price - possibly, depending on how cheap you think Fabregas is going. Personally I think we'd have to be robbed to get either. Goalscoring: no, but that's not really what we're after, is it. We need a deep-lying/box to box creative midfielder. Goals come from elsewhere in our squad. Premier League experience: no, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. I was just saying that we all thought Fabregas was out of reach, yet we tried for him. So we might also try for the seemingly out of reach Gundogan. Anyway, his quality is thoroughly proven, so the lack of PL experience doesn't mean much. The Bundesliga is pretty close to the PL, it's not like worrying whether a La Liga player can hack the pace and physicality.

Price - possibly, depending on how cheap you think Fabregas is going. Personally I think we'd have to be robbed to get either. Goalscoring: no, but that's not really what we're after, is it. We need a deep-lying/box to box creative midfielder. Goals come from elsewhere in our squad. Premier League experience: no, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. I was just saying that we all thought Fabregas was out of reach, yet we tried for him. So we might also try for the seemingly out of reach Gundogan. Anyway, his quality is thoroughly proven, so the lack of PL experience doesn't mean much. The Bundesliga is pretty close to the PL, it's not like worrying whether a La Liga player can hack the pace and physicality.

I'm pretty sure I read that that's exactly what Moyes is after. A Premier League proven goal scoring midfielder, be it Fabregas, Modric, or Fellaini...

I'm pretty sure I read that that's exactly what Moyes is after. A Premier League proven goal scoring midfielder, be it Fabregas, Modric, or Fellaini...

You keep reading a lot of Moyes comments which don't actually exist... the only specific comments he's made about what sort of players he is looking at is that the midfield needs strengthening and that the club tend to look for young players.

You keep reading a lot of Moyes comments which don't actually exist... the only specific comments he's made about what sort of players he is looking at is that the midfield needs strengthening and that the club tend to look for young players.

Well, I'd say a goal scoring midfielder is what we lack, also a bit of steel. Not a deep lying play maker, that's essentially what Carrick's excelled at.

Well, I'd say a goal scoring midfielder is what we lack, also a bit of steel. Not a deep lying play maker, that's essentially what Carrick's excelled at.

Ok, but that's your opinion nots Moyes'. I don't think goals really matter - we just need a top class box-to-box player to complement Carrick. I agree about deep-lying, that wasn't really what I meant. I just meant very much not an AM, since with Kagawa probably pushing Rooney out of #10, he'll fill that role. For me, Gundogan is an excellent fit, as are Fabregas and Modric, as was Thiago. (And as, in my fanboy dreams, is Wilshere :drool:)

Ok, but that's your opinion nots Moyes'. I don't think goals really matter - we just need a top class box-to-box player to complement Carrick. I agree about deep-lying, that wasn't really what I meant. I just meant very much not an AM, since with Kagawa probably pushing Rooney out of #10, he'll fill that role. For me, Gundogan is an excellent fit, as are Fabregas and Modric, as was Thiago. (And as, in my fanboy dreams, is Wilshere :drool:)
I'd agree that a goal scoring midfielder probably isn't crucial, we won the league fairly handily without one last season. I think we need a real presence in the centre, whether that's offensively or defensively I'm unsure. Someone who can assert himself on a game, and gel well with Carrick.

I'd agree that a goal scoring midfielder probably isn't crucial, we won the league fairly handily without one last season. I think we need a real presence in the centre, whether that's offensively or defensively I'm unsure. Someone who can assert himself on a game, and gel well with Carrick.

Yep. In terms of defence and offence, ideally both. Obviously the players I've mentioned fall on a scale in that sense. Fabregas and Thiago probably come more on the attacking end of it (particularly Fabregas), Modric and Gundogan more in the middle. But all four would have enough defensively to partner Carrick, and obviously plenty going forwards too.

They are?? Since their rise from the ashes three years ago, Dortmund let exactly one player (Kagawa) go, when they had the power to stop him. And that was a situation, when they already had a sufficient replacement for the offensive midfield (Reus) for pretty much the same money they got from United.

Gündogan´s case is completely different. There is literally zero chance to get him in this summer. Some people think, that the solution to the problem is simply throwing money at other clubs. If that does not work? Throw more money. It is not as simple as that.

Let´s say United does not get Fabregas and gets desperate. They make a bid for Gündogan for 50 Mil €. It won´t get them anywhere. Dortmund will immediately decline and not even enter talks. Why? Because Dortmund would rather sell him in the next summer for half the money than let him go two weeks before the start of the league.

Gündogan is simply too important for them. He is their most influential player on the pitch. Him leaving at this point in time (thus giving Dortmund very little time to find an even remotely fitting replacement) would lessen their chances in this years CL campaign and actually endanger a top 3 placement in the Bundesliga. Gündogan could easily become the difference between CL and EL in the following season for them. This alone would make a deal not worth it from a financial stand point.

Not to mention, that it would send the worst possible signal to the other key players of Dortmund.

And this is just the side of the club. Gündogan himself is right now in contract talks with the officials and a lot of signals point towards a renewal, which is in line with Dortmund´s plans to raise the wage bill by around 20 Mil. € (of course not only for him).

Gündogan as this years CM option is simply wishful thinking. If they wanted him, they had to make a move way sooner. For all we know, they actually did (Klopp spoke of concrete interest for key players including Gündogan) and had no success.

for those who mention Gundogan, i think we would have a higher chance of getting Messi and Ronaldo this summer than this guy. Dortmund looks like a well run club which isn't in the weaken yourself for profit business.

I'm pretty sure the club has targets in mind for months, so I doubt much would have changed when Moyes came in. However, Ferguson would probably have taken the chance on Thiago.
Yes. He bid for the boy in 2011.

Luis Gustavo is far down the pecking order at Bayern, must be worth an enquiry at least?
He just stated that he wants to stay and fight for his place. Everyone at bayern with smaller chances of playing will probably want to stay this season to be part of pep guardiola's new team and give it a shot to see if they can force their way in. He'll probably have to let some good players go next season though.

Will he come here and be happy as back-up to Carrick? I think he'll look for a guaranteed starting position, if he moves, in a world cup year.

Don't think he needs to be his backup but rather his partner.

For big games it's good to have two defensively strong players and against weaker teams either play Cleverly or Anderson alongside Carrick or Luiz Gustavo, depending on who could need a rest.

I'm also positive that if we ask it of Carrick he can play more offensive than he has to atm I can remember a time where he was quite good going forward as well.

The last comment from Luiz Gustavo though was that he wants to stay at Bayern for now and fight for his place in the team.

He's also said, more than once, that the budget is there to go for "the very best players." I'd like to hope that means someone in mould of Modric or Fabregas, rather than Cabaye, Fellaini or McCarthy.

However, for the right price, I'd like to see us add one top level midfielder, as well as McCarthy, since I think he could be a great player for the future.

There'll be people that'll know more player names than me, as I don't have the best knowledge of football outside of the Premiership. In terms of "attributes," I'd like a player that can win us the ball back, a more defensively minded "steely" type player. Decent ability on the ball/passing would be a plus too.

I'm not suggesting for one second that we sign him, but Mulumbu of WBA is the kind of player I'd like. Not him, but if you took his strengths and made them better, that's the sort of person I'd like to see us sign.

You should go for Gustavo: good player and a realistic target.

You should go for Gustavo: good player and a realistic target.

Indeed. It's a bit baffling that he doesn't seem to be on our radar at all. Maybe the scouts and Moyes just forgot he exists as he's only the 3543627th choice central midfielder at Bayern.

I think we should test Dortmund's resolve with a 35-40 million bid for Gundogan. At the very least, it might unsettle the player.

Fabregas would be my first pick, then Vidal and Gündogan.
Problem is, none of the 4-5 best central midfielders out-there is for sale. And if we buy, we should only buy topclass players, if not, don't waste money on some 2nd choice player, give youth the chance instead..

Fabregas would be my first pick, then Vidal and Gündogan.
Problem is, none of the 4-5 best central midfielders out-there is for sale. And if we buy, we should only buy topclass players, if not, don't waste money on some 2nd choice player, give youth the chance instead..

We don't have any top young CMs coming through at the moment. Some 2nd choice players is exactly what our midfield needs at the moment, whether or not we can get a star to partner Carrick. If Carrick gets injured, we have no-one suitable to play his position.

What about Koke?

He's not the finished article yet, but I think it's time to be realistic and admit that we aren't going to get that world class midfielder this summer. Koke is young and already a good midfielder who will probably get better. Signing young players with potential has worked wonders for us in the past. He may be Atletico through and through, but so is De Gea and we snapped him up pretty easily. Add to that Atletico's money problems and we might be able to get away with a 25 million bid and still pay for Fellaini's release clause if we want to and thats 50 million spent, which is in line with what we've been spending or at least willing to spend lately.

What about Koke?

It could be a good signing. I think that his clause is a bit low (15m EUR). Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for players like him, Kongodbia or McCarthy. If they'll become good then good for us, if not we'll see if we can get some top class midfielder on next summer.

Edit: Just realized that we can get both Koke and Kongodbia for around 24m EUR (21m pounds). Could be a very decent summer if we do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.