Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am leaning towards Fellaini. With Fellaini and Carrick in midfield, supporting RVP, Welbeck, Zaha, Kagawa up front. I am happy with that.

I rather suspect that there will be no 'marquee' signing - I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I will. It's the 1st of August and we've already been knocked back by Alcantara and Fabregas so between now and the end of the season we'll get some sort of regular comment from the club along the lines of " we're busy working on strengtheneing the squad but can't say too much". Then when the window closes I think we'll get some guff about how the only players good enough to seriously improve the squad have chosen not to come to England/Manchester. At best we'll get Fellaini plus a couple of young cut-price players who (we will be told) hold enormous promise for the future and possibly the advancement of a player or two from the reserves/youth squad who (we will be told) are ready start making some first team appearances.

I'm not holding my breath over Fabregas - he won't come. Nor will any of the other 'prime targets', a lot of whom have already signed for other clubs.

I am leaning towards Fellaini. With Fellaini and Carrick in midfield, supporting RVP, Welbeck, Zaha, Kagawa up front. I am happy with that.

It'd do for the PL but we'd still be in the second tier of CL contenders.

Thanks for the response Ekeke. I haven't seen him play for a while. Do you think he's worth a punt, or has he become too attacking?

I think he'd be a good upgrade to our CM options. He has some really nice delivery into the box and for me thats one of the key reasons Negredo scored so many goals last season, particularly in the air. My only concern would be price. Having got £45 million for a combination of players who imo were outperformed by Rakitic last season, I worry that Sevilla would ask for something over the top. Particularly as they'll be keen to hang onto their best player having lost 2 others. If his price point is more reasonable than the Negredo one, I'd sign him up without worry

It'd do for the PL but we'd still be in the second tier of CL contenders.
I don't think we will have a squad to match with those Bayern, Barca or Real yet (we might beat Real though). Our immediate priority should be retaining the league for next season, especially after a wholesale change to the long serving coaching team.

I'd go for Fabregas or Fellaini but I'm getting to the stage when almost anyone will do.

Surely to goodness our management can find one midfielder out there who has quality and would like to come to play for United. If they're struggling why don't they ask the fans or other PL clubs/managers for suggestions.

I don't think we will have a squad to match with those Bayern, Barca or Real yet (we might beat Real though). Our immediate priority should be retaining the league for next season, especially after a wholesale change to the long serving coaching team.

They'd still have better squads but a strong midfield would have us closer to their level than to the likes of Dortmund, Juve, Chelsea etc.

Agree that the PL is the focus though, I really couldn't care less about the CL this season. Having said that, a good run in the CL would certainly take some pressure off Moyes if things don't work out in the league.

I'd go for Fabregas or Fellaini but I'm getting to the stage when almost anyone will do.

Surely to goodness our management can find one midfielder out there who has quality and would like to come to play for United. If they're struggling why don't they ask the fans or other PL clubs/managers for suggestions.

Lol well tbf by all accounts they've been after number 1 and 2 of our very own poll above this summer, so who knows maybe they are!

In general though I agree that it's pretty amazing that in general it's taken as long as it has to sign a midfielder, I don't just mean this window as there's still plenty of time to go, but over the past couple of seasons, to think that will all the scouting network we must have we've not been able to identify a young midfielder in a smaller league out there who could step up is odd. I guess though domestically unlike other clubs who can hoover up the best young players in their own leagues as well, it's typically a lot harder for us, cause in general Britain isn't producing enough talent and most the clubs don't need to sell.

I rather suspect that there will be no 'marquee' signing - I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't think I will. It's the 1st of August and we've already been knocked back by Alcantara and Fabregas so between now and the end of the season we'll get some sort of regular comment from the club along the lines of " we're busy working on strengtheneing the squad but can't say too much". Then when the window closes I think we'll get some guff about how the only players good enough to seriously improve the squad have chosen not to come to England/Manchester. At best we'll get Fellaini plus a couple of young cut-price players who (we will be told) hold enormous promise for the future and possibly the advancement of a player or two from the reserves/youth squad who (we will be told) are ready start making some first team appearances.

I'm not holding my breath over Fabregas - he won't come. Nor will any of the other 'prime targets', a lot of whom have already signed for other clubs.

When did this happen?

Was just thinking, with Thiago ending up at Bayern and Cesc most likely staying put, I think we should do a new poll.

It'd be interesting to see who everyone goes for now.

Was just thinking, with Thiago ending up at Bayern and Cesc most likely staying put, I think we should do a new poll.

It'd be interesting to see who everyone goes for now.
Well, everyone will go for Gundogan and Wilshire. It won't exactly be interesting.

Well, everyone will go for Gundogan and Wilshire. It won't exactly be interesting.
Except it will, because there's not a chance Gundogan will leave Dortmund and I'm pretty sure we'll see people go for more realistic targets at this stage.

Well, maybe wait to make it after the Fabregas soap opera is put to bed . In the slight offchance that United might still pull it off, which I seriously doubt.

Who's that young midfield talent at athletics madrid? Looked full of class. We should pay a bit extra for a talent like that.

Pogba would be nice to have right about now.

Any idea as to what role Nick Powell will play this year?

I'm not suggesting he is ready to fill a starring role in our MF

Pogba would be nice to have right about now.

Any idea as to what role Nick Powell will play this year?

Probably won't even see him playing till about November, still recovering from his summer operation.

Christian Eriksen is still available isn't he?

Posted it in another thread as well but these are players I'd guess are (sort of) available.

Fellaini, Eriksen, Marchisio, Kondogbia, McCarthy, Cabaye, Gustavo.

Some of them will be moving soon though, might already have deals sorted.

What about that young midfielder who scored against us on tuesday? He's only 19 and looked a good player.

He's played centre back for the past two years, he wouldn't offer much, and he's a prick. No fecking way.

Posted it in another thread as well but these are players I'd guess are (sort of) available.

All of this (except Eriksen who is No.10) would improve us and be starters at our team. Kongodbia and McCarthy (or other players like Koke and Leverkusen's Bender) are exactly players United like to sign. Young with a lot of potential. Their midfielders though so we are not going to sign them.

Would be fine with two of these (though Cabaye and Fellaini wouldn't be worth it, Pardew probably thinks Cabaye is a £30 million player.)

All of this (except Eriksen who is No.10) would improve us and be starters at our team. Kongodbia and McCarthy (or other players like Koke and Leverkusen's Bender) are exactly players United like to sign. Young with a lot of potential. Their midfielders though so we are not going to sign them.

How many of them are better than Fellaini, I wonder? If we're assuming that Fellaini is our fall back option than any player better than him should be a viable target.

How many of them are better than Fellaini, I wonder? If we're assuming that Fellaini is our fall back option than any player better than him should be a viable target.

Potentially all of them can become better players than Fellaini. At the moment players like Marchisio, Bender and Gustavo are better. I would be happy if we sign Fellaini cause I think that he's better than all our midfielders bar Carrick, but I think that there are still other options who are better (or can become better soon and at the moment cost cheaper).

Gustavo appears unsettled and looks like a very good option to play alongside or backup Carrick. I'd be extremely happy if we signed him with at least 1 more midfielder which I believe would be Fellaini.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1515923/luiz-gustavo-edges-towards-bayern-munich-exit?cc=4716
Luiz Gustavo edges towards exit

Brazil international Luiz Gustavo is likely to leave Bayern Munich as the Treble holders have allowed other clubs to approach the out-of-favour holding midfielder, Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed.
Luiz Gustavo, 26, has been linked with Bundesliga club Wolfsburg, with his current side overloaded in midfield following their signings of Thiago Alcantara and Mario Gotze.
Wolfsburg had voiced their interest in Gustavo and, speaking to kicker on Tuesday, Rummenigge confirmed that Bayern had been approached by Wolfsburg general manager Klaus Allofs some ten days ago.
Bayern allowed their Bundesliga rivals to open contract talks with the holding midfielder, who had joined Bayern in a €17 million transfer from TSG Hoffenheim in January 2011.
“If Wolfsburg finds an agreement with the player, we will hold further talks,” Rummenigge said. He also added that clubs from England, Spain and Russia have put their name down in the waiting list.
Meanwhile, Wolfsburger Allgemeine Zeitung reported that Wolfsburg have offered Gustavo a salary of €7 million gross, more than he currently earns at Bayern. The Wolfsburg paper also says that Bayern are currently asking for €20 million in exchange for Gustavo.
Gustavo has played 136 Bundesliga games and scored eight goals. He also made ten appearances for the Selecao.
Wolfsburg hope that Gustavo could be the missing piece in their bid to finally return to Europe, where they were last seen the season after their German championship in 2009.

I'm bemused as to why we haven't made a bid for someone like Gustavo or Marchisio. The former is probably available and the latter would most likely be feasible with a reasonable bid. Both excellent midfielders too who would really strengthen us.

Think yesterday showed why we need a carrick alternative almost as much if not arguably more than a creative player though in reality we need both. I think we can win the league with carrick and clev/ando in there, some games will be harder than they should be and we'll struggle in Europe but they can still win the league. If carrick is out for an extended period I really don't have that much faith in those two together against decent teams, particularly with the defence not as strong as a few years ago with rio and vidic ageing/injuries. I don't think it even has to be an established player but either a young player from another league looking to step up or if we go for someone established like a gustavo maybe we only need one player but an alternative to carrick is a must for me.

Claudio Marchisio name as cropped up again,Corriere dello Sport reporting we will be in for him when the Fabregas deal fails.

Why wait until then? Maybe that has been the problem, hoping against hope that someone signs instead of having a few irons in the fire.

Gustavo appears unsettled and looks like a very good option to play alongside or backup Carrick. I'd be extremely happy if we signed him with at least 1 more midfielder which I believe would be Fellaini.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1515923/luiz-gustavo-edges-towards-bayern-munich-exit?cc=4716
Luiz Gustavo edges towards exit

Brazil international Luiz Gustavo is likely to leave Bayern Munich as the Treble holders have allowed other clubs to approach the out-of-favour holding midfielder, Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed.
Luiz Gustavo, 26, has been linked with Bundesliga club Wolfsburg, with his current side overloaded in midfield following their signings of Thiago Alcantara and Mario Gotze.
Wolfsburg had voiced their interest in Gustavo and, speaking to kicker on Tuesday, Rummenigge confirmed that Bayern had been approached by Wolfsburg general manager Klaus Allofs some ten days ago.
Bayern allowed their Bundesliga rivals to open contract talks with the holding midfielder, who had joined Bayern in a €17 million transfer from TSG Hoffenheim in January 2011.
“If Wolfsburg finds an agreement with the player, we will hold further talks,” Rummenigge said. He also added that clubs from England, Spain and Russia have put their name down in the waiting list.
Meanwhile, Wolfsburger Allgemeine Zeitung reported that Wolfsburg have offered Gustavo a salary of €7 million gross, more than he currently earns at Bayern. The Wolfsburg paper also says that Bayern are currently asking for €20 million in exchange for Gustavo.
Gustavo has played 136 Bundesliga games and scored eight goals. He also made ten appearances for the Selecao.
Wolfsburg hope that Gustavo could be the missing piece in their bid to finally return to Europe, where they were last seen the season after their German championship in 2009.

Surely we should be in for him. We are a lot better than Wolfsburg, he can do better than that,

I've just been having a look at the names of midfielders that have moved either last summer, or this, and its just unbelievable that none of them have been deemed 'right' for ourselves. Its actually difficult to comprehend. What are we actually waiting for? Has it become such a thing that when we finally sign a central midfielder he has to be 'perfect' and tick every box or something? Spurs alone have signed three midfielders in the last year that would have been worthy additions.

I really don't understand what we're looking for?

I think it's value as much as anything, I don't think we're willing to spend whats being quoted, in some cases its understandable, 28m for Fernandinho for example but sometimes you just have to take a hit. I was just saying in another thread that I've found it really surprising that given you'd think we've known we should be looking for a midfielder for a few seasons that there hasn't been any targets identified in a smaller league/team that wouldn't cost as much.

I think it's value as much as anything, I don't think we're willing to spend whats being quoted, in some cases its understandable, 28m for Fernandinho for example but sometimes you just have to take a hit. I was just saying in another thread that I've found it really surprising that given you'd think we've known we should be looking for a midfielder for a few seasons that there hasn't been any targets identified in a smaller league/team that wouldn't cost as much.

McCarthy? He would be a decent signing if Moyes decides to go for him

McCarthy? He would be a decent signing if Moyes decides to go for him

Could be, I only saw a bit of him tbh but looked like he could be a good understudy for Carrick. Wonder what they would want for him though.

I've just been having a look at the names of midfielders that have moved either last summer, or this, and its just unbelievable that none of them have been deemed 'right' for ourselves. Its actually difficult to comprehend. What are we actually waiting for? Has it become such a thing that when we finally sign a central midfielder he has to be 'perfect' and tick every box or something? Spurs alone have signed three midfielders in the last year that would have been worthy additions.

A player who ticks too many boxes.

It's really confusing. Why didn't we even try for paulinho? Judging by the confed cup, he would be a perfect all round midfielder for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.