Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it hardly warrants criticism to point out how weak our midfield is.

I think the comment was more aimed at this... 'We're now left in a situation where we're in such desperate need for players in midfield we're scrambling round trying for anyone. Beyond embarrassing now.'

You don't think that's a spoilt mentality?

EDIT: and quite wrong... we haven't scrambled round trying for anyone, we bid for two top talents?

I want my team to have more then one established midfielder. I am indeed ridiculously spoilt for wanting that.

It's not the fact of wanting more than one, it's how you said it's embarrassing how left ourselves in this situation.
It sounds far too spoilt, SAF made a few decisions, and some of them weren't brilliant.

I think the comment was more aimed at this... 'We're now left in a situation where we're in such desperate need for players in midfield we're scrambling round trying for anyone. Beyond embarrassing now.'

You don't think that's a spoilt mentality?

There's a certain standard we as United fans have come to expect. Am I spoiled should I feel we should be challenging for the Premier League this season?

It's not the fact of wanting more than one, it's how you said it's embarrassing how left ourselves in this situation.
It sounds far too spoilt, SAF made a few decisions, and some of them weren't brilliant.

It is embarrassing. Its got nothing to do with it being United. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Bury fan and there was only one proven central midfielder in the squad. Its just a ridiculous situation.

EDIT: and quite wrong... we haven't scrambled round trying for anyone, we bid for two top talents?

We bid for a completely unobtainable player for a completely unrealistic figure a day after they'd already sold one of their best midfield prospects and a month after he'd said he had absolutely no intention of leaving Barcelona. To add to that, we somehow let the whole thing become public knowledge, something that rarely ever happened under SAF and Gill. it's a bizarre situation no matter how you look at it.

Is this a result of too many upper management changes and different targets ie needing to start from scratch or our targets being hesitant due to Fergie not being there?

Is this a result of too many upper management changes and different targets ie needing to start from scratch or our targets being hesitant due to Fergie not being there?

I'm pretty sure the club has targets in mind for months, so I doubt much would have changed when Moyes came in. However, Ferguson would probably have taken the chance on Thiago.

We bid for a completely unobtainable player for a completely unrealistic figure a day after they'd already sold one of their best midfield prospects and a month after he'd said he had absolutely no intention of leaving Barcelona. To add to that, we somehow let the whole thing become public knowledge, something that rarely ever happened under SAF and Gill. it's a bizarre situation no matter how you look at it.

It was leaked out that we bid for RVP too. At the time people on here thought that he was unobtainable, yet we managed to sign him.

We took a gamble on Fabregas, but it's not a big deal. So what if it's been leaked?

Update:

Legend:
Sold
Unrealistic
Confirmed United Bid, Rejected and Laughed At.

Caf Poll:

76 - Fabregas
58 - Thiago Alcantara
34 - Gundogan
24 - Wilshire
13 - Strootman
8 - Modric
8 - Vidal
6 - Fellaini
4 - Wanyama
3 - Veratti
2 - Marchisio
2 - M'Vila
2 - Banega
1 - Sven Bender

Bang goes another one.

The big difference is that you'd already spoken to Judas and offered him the 30 pieces of silver, which the greedy twat grabbed with both hands.

There's a certain standard we as United fans have come to expect. Am I spoiled should I feel we should be challenging for the Premier League this season?

No, not at all, but that's very different to saying we are embarrassing and going for any player out of desperation? Completely different.

The big difference is that you'd already spoken to Judas and offered him the 30 pieces of silver, which the greedy twat grabbed with both hands.

He's only won the Premier League once? Hardly doubt he'll stay for another twenty nine seasons?

No, not at all, but that's very different to saying we are embarrassing and going for any player out of desperation? Completely different.

Suppose so, regardless the Fabregas bid was a strange one, not necessarily desperate but definitely strange.

Lars Bender seems like the obvious candidate...although Leverkusen won't want to sell another player.

Oh I fully agree with you, in fact I don't think it paints Manchester United in the best light at all to be honest, but nor would I describe our actions as 'desperately going for any player' or 'embarrassing', I do think it's confusing, but we don't know the whole story, you don't know we won't follow up with a 40 million bid and blow everyone out of the water... we aren't really sure what to expect from Moyes I suppose.

Suppose so, regardless the Fabregas bid was a strange one, not necessarily desperate but definitely strange.

Fully agree, and I'm not saying its not 'desperate', but at the same time, I'll at least wait to hear from our club before I speculate.. (that's not at you or Sam by the way, the Thiago/ Fab threads had people 100000x worse)

It was leaked out that we bid for RVP too. At the time people on here thought that he was unobtainable, yet we managed to sign him.

We took a gamble on Fabregas, but it's not a big deal. So what if it's been leaked?

Didn't the club themselves say they were after RvP? Don't think it was leaked. The club have only ever let these things out in the past when they sure they'd get them (hence why Guardiola announced the Thiago interest and we didn't say anything). Also, RvP was far more attainable than Fabregas.

I'm glad the discussion has moved rather than stopped. I think we should bid for Fabregas again. That Moyes is such a troll.

We should bid for Ronaldo first. That works, and we suddenly look really enticing. I'm sure a lot of players would like to play with him, RVP and Rooney. We could put in a sneaky bid for Ronaldo,and go from there.

In fairness whilst embarrassing may be a strong word I think Sam does have a point. It's a glaring hole in our team the lack of a midfielder and people can't pretend they've not been saying it for years, every season when the chance to sign a midfielder comes up people want that player. It is always going to be frustrating to people to see us linked with top players and not got them, especially when it has probably been going on for about 5 or 6 years. I don't see why people can't get frustrated or annoyed by it as it is really annoying. Our main weakness never seems to get picked up on and when you look around you see top midfielders moving quite a lot. It does sound slightly spoilt to see it and I'm fully aware of that but at the end of the day the clubs put themselves in a position where they should be able to attract world class talent and the fact that is getting away from us will wind people up.

I do kind of feel sorry for Moyes but at the end of the day he knew what he was getting himself in for when he signed. I'd say at times the midfield under Fergie did cost us, I reckon we could of won the league which City won if we had a better midfield as it got over ran at times and I think we'd of done better in Europe but we still had success so are grateful for that, Moyes obviously hasn't had the time to create any success so people are always going to judge and I don't see why people seem surprised. He's managing one of the biggest clubs in the world after one of the most successful managers ever it's going to attract attention off of people. Given he had a reputation at Everton of panicking and stalling over transfers I can see why people are concerned as well. I'm prepared to give it time and I'm sure everyone else is, he deserves the chance to do it his way but I can't pretend I won't be hugely disappointed if we go another season without a central midfielder. I'm probably going to get slated for it but the time we brought back Scholes reeked of desperation to me at the time and showed how much we lacked in the department, as does playing the likes of Phil Jones there when they're not central midfielders.

I'm not embarrassed about the club going for Fab. Moyes says himself he is short in midfield, so it's right united to try for the best. However, in this instance, I do think something went a bit wrong. Could be due to the new personel, but it's not as though every one has left United, there are still many in the same positions who have experience of how united work in the transfer world...

Didn't the club themselves say they were after RvP? Don't think it was leaked. The club have only ever let these things out in the past when they sure they'd get them (hence why Guardiola announced the Thiago interest and we didn't say anything). Also, RvP was far more attainable than Fabregas.

I was under the impression that SAF announced our interest after it was reported everywhere that we'd made a bid, but I could be wrong.

It's a very strange bid alright, but it's hardly anything to get too worked up about in regards to it being leaked IMO. People were moaning about our lack of activity in the market a few weeks back, now we make a bid for a top player and people are complaining again.

In fairness whilst embarrassing may be a strong word I think Sam does have a point. It's a glaring hole in our team the lack of a midfielder and people can't pretend they've not been saying it for years, every season when the chance to sign a midfielder comes up people want that player. It is always going to be frustrating to people to see us linked with top players and not got them, especially when it has probably been going on for about 5 or 6 years. I don't see why people can't get frustrated or annoyed by it as it is really annoying. Our main weakness never seems to get picked up on and when you look around you see top midfielders moving quite a lot. It does sound slightly spoilt to see it and I'm fully aware of that but at the end of the day the clubs put themselves in a position where they should be able to attract world class talent and the fact that is getting away from us will wind people up.

I do kind of feel sorry for Moyes but at the end of the day he knew what he was getting himself in for when he signed. I'd say at times the midfield under Fergie did cost us, I reckon we could of won the league which City won if we had a better midfield as it got over ran at times and I think we'd of done better in Europe but we still had success so are grateful for that, Moyes obviously hasn't had the time to create any success so people are always going to judge and I don't see why people seem surprised. He's managing one of the biggest clubs in the world after one of the most successful managers ever it's going to attract attention off of people. Given he had a reputation at Everton of panicking and stalling over transfers I can see why people are concerned as well. I'm prepared to give it time and I'm sure everyone else is, he deserves the chance to do it his way but I can't pretend I won't be hugely disappointed if we go another season without a central midfielder. I'm probably going to get slated for it but the time we brought back Scholes reeked of desperation to me at the time and showed how much we lacked in the department, as does playing the likes of Phil Jones there when they're not central midfielders.

Spot on.

Forget that we're talking about Manchester United for a second, and look at like this....in the last few years or so...Team A have brought back a retired player to play in midfield, converted a left winger to play in midfield, and also played a centre back in midfield....all instead of actually signing a central midfielder. Heck, a couple of years ago they played a right back and a winger as a midfield pairing!

Now, is that not ever so slightly embarrassing for any club to have to resort to that, nevermind a club of United's stature and wealth?

I was under the impression that SAF announced our interest after it was reported everywhere that we'd made a bid, but I could be wrong.

It's a very strange bid alright, but it's hardly anything to get too worked up about in regards to it being leaked IMO. People were moaning about our lack of activity in the market a few weeks back, now we make a bid for a top player and people are complaining again.

yes but it's the nature of this bid that is making people complain, a bid that was seemingly completely implausible and was rejected in less than 24 hours by his manager. How would that not frustrate the fans?

yes but it's the nature of this bid that is making people complain, a bid that was seemingly completely implausible and was rejected in less than 24 hours by his manager. How would that not frustrate the fans?

I can understand the frustration, I'm frustrated myself. However I'm also relieved that we're at least in the market for a CM signing. I'd rather this than no activity at all from us.

Spot on.

Forget that we're talking about Manchester United for a second, and look at like this....in the last few years or so...Team A have brought back a retired player to play in midfield, converted a left winger to play in midfield, and also played a centre back in midfield....all instead of actually signing a central midfielder. Heck, a couple of years ago they played a right back and a winger as a midfield pairing!

Now, is that not ever so slightly embarrassing for any club to have to resort to that, nevermind a club of United's stature and wealth?
I couldn't leave the house when he won the league title knowing we'd done so with a centre back occasionally playing in midfield. Even now I only do it at night with a scarf around my face.

Just grab Will Hughes of Derby and Fellaini by the end of the week and I'll be happy to leave it at that for the summer....lets not complicate things by chasing players that we more than likely won't get...Will Hughes is supposed to be the best young emerging central midfielder in the country now and has been hailed as the new gerrard by respected scouts and sports writers

I can understand the frustration, I'm frustrated myself. However I'm also relieved that we're at least in the market for a CM signing. I'd rather this than no activity at all from us.

We're obviously in the market for one, Moyes said so himself, and we're constantly linked to them. We didn't need a ridiculous bid for Fabregas in order to tell us that. if anything it just comes across to most fans (and I'm not saying this is a case) as a desperate bid from a club who've already lost out on their main target and seemingly have nowhere else to go.

I couldn't leave the house when he won the league title knowing we'd done so with a centre back occasionally playing in midfield. Even now I only do it at night with a scarf around my face.

I'm confused by this at times. No one is doubting our success and no one is doubting we have good players but the fact remains we can improve and the obvious glaring omission from our team for years has been a very good central midfielder. Just look at topics on this forum over the years (there's 2 this week with Thiago and Fabregas) I'm not claiming, nor is anyone else, that we're fecked without a central midfielder, we'll still be better than at least 17 other teams in the league I'd imagine but it does clearly come and bite us on the arse at times. There's games like Southampton at home or Norwich at home when Scholes can do a job there or Giggs can do a job there but the likes of City away against Toure for example we get over ran and basically have Carrick in midfield on his own which is obviously never going to work. I'd argue if we did have a better midfield in recent years we would of done better in competitions such as Europe where it kind of got exposed.

And as I said I'm aware it kind of sounds spoilt, but at the end of the day it's no different to people wanting the likes of Bale or Ronaldo. There's always room for improvement it's just I and a few others clearly think the obvious hole n the team is midfield. I do fell it will eventually catch up with us, the problem for Moyes is if it appens this season it will be him shouldering the blame I think when it's been a problem for a long time.

I'm confused by this at times. No one is doubting our success and no one is doubting we have good players but the fact remains we can improve and the obvious glaring omission from our team for years has been a very good central midfielder. Just look at topics on this forum over the years (there's 2 this week with Thiago and Fabregas) I'm not claiming, nor is anyone else, that we're fecked without a central midfielder, we'll still be better than at least 17 other teams in the league I'd imagine but it does clearly come and bite us on the arse at times. There's games like Southampton at home or Norwich at home when Scholes can do a job there or Giggs can do a job there but the likes of City away against Toure for example we get over ran and basically have Carrick in midfield on his own which is obviously never going to work. I'd argue if we did have a better midfield in recent years we would of done better in competitions such as Europe where it kind of got exposed.

And as I said I'm aware it kind of sounds spoilt, but at the end of the day it's no different to people wanting the likes of Bale or Ronaldo. There's always room for improvement it's just I and a few others clearly think the obvious hole n the team is midfield. I do fell it will eventually catch up with us, the problem for Moyes is if it appens this season it will be him shouldering the blame I think when it's been a problem for a long time.
I'm laughing at the notion that we have something to be embarrassed about not that we need to improve. We clearly do. Standing still doesn't bode well. All the more reason we should be putting in cheeky bids for players and testing the water.

OK.

I expect United to challenge for the title, so I'm spoiled? :lol:
Expecting one of the best teams to challenge for the title isn't being spoilt as it is based on the talent we have available. Throwing toys out of the pram because we haven't done what some wanted us to do in the transfer market is acting spoilt.

Expecting one of the best teams to challenge for the title isn't being spoilt as it is based on the talent we have available. Throwing toys out of the pram because we haven't done what some wanted us to do in the transfer market is acting spoilt.

Who's thrown their toys out of the pram? I certainly haven't?

What happened with McCarthy? I would be very happy if he were one of the two midfielders Moyes was talking about.

I reckon we are trying to get a big name first to avoid the meltdown if the first signing is McCarthy/Baines/Fellaini, but I hope we don't miss out on good options due to PR considerations.

I agree, and I really don't think Moyes can cover up the weakness there and still be successful like Sir Alex was, which is why now more then ever it is vital that we buy a good midfielder there.
Also for what its worth, I know you're only using Southampton and Norwich as examples, but Southampton played us off the park at Old Trafford and we were lucky to come away with anything, let alone a win :lol: So clearly Giggs or Scholes or whoever it was playing that game isn't enough against any Premier League teams anymore.

I vote Ander Herrerra from what is left, although he isn't on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.