Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
James McCarthy. And I'll be made up if we do sign him. feck the haters.
We've not even been linked with him so far, he'll probably end up at a mid-table club or Tottenham (well, the same thing). It'll be Fellaini or no one and given the fact that Fellaini has a £23.5m clause that we could have triggered by now and have him for the pre-season, I think no one is a more probable outcome.

See you in Manchester my ass. I think we will sign strootman

He's all but signed for Roma according to various reports. Only thing holding the announcement up is Roma trying to offload De Rossi.

Maybe he didn't 'set OT alight' because that's where he was played out of position, not because that's where he's comfortable.

When I watched him at Dortmund he always seem to play in the link man role.

Gustavo is not a Bayern reject. He's a Brazil regular and got a fair amount of game time last season, even with Schweinsteiger and Martinez ahead of him. Now Thiago has gone there your have to say he's more than likely off, especially with a home WC on the horizon. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Nemanja Matic please. Got the personality & drive we badly need.

Nemanja Matic please. Got the personality & drive we badly need.
I'll admit I have only seen him a few times the last year, but he looks the business.
I am a sucker for the technical, flair types like Thiago though, so everything is going to look like a consolation price in my muppet mind.

I'll admit I have only seen him a few times the last year, but he looks the business.
I am a sucker for the technical, flair types like Thiago though, so everything is going to look like a consolation price in my muppet mind.

Don't be too downhearted mate. Obviously Thiago is a great prospect but he's not the perfect player. I prefer Dembele's physicality or Matic's passing range.

Don't Chelsea have first refusal on him?

Don't think so, the way they offloaded him two years ago doesn't indicate they were interested in ever getting him back. Quite flabbergasted by that judgment error, which ended in him bossing the midfield against Chelsea in the Europa League final with David Luiz filling up the position in Chelsea's midfield he is supposed to occupy.

Mourinho keeps a close eye on the Portuguese league and is apparently keen to take him to Chelsea but there's nothing contractual in there, and we enjoy as close a relationship with Benfica as Mourinho's Chelsea.

Don't be too downhearted mate. Obviously Thiago is a great prospect but he's not the perfect player. I prefer Dembele's physicality or Matic's passing range.
To be fair Thiago's passing range is probably even better than Matic's, Matic beats him physically though. I'd be extremely happy if we signed Matic but as I've already said, if he's on the market I fully expect him to go to Chelsea.

To be fair Thiago's passing range is probably even better than Matic's, Matic beats him physically though. I'd be extremely happy if we signed Matic but as I've already said, if he's on the market I fully expect him to go to Chelsea.

are we no longer an attraction proposition to top players then? Serious question. I mean when top European players think about Manchester United, do they feel...yeah..ok..but....

are we no longer an attraction proposition to top players then? Serious question. I mean when top European players think about Manchester United, do they feel...yeah..ok..but....
He's already been at Chelsea so he won't have to get used to the city etc., which is why I think he'd pick them if he were given a choice. Of course it could go the other way i.e. he might not want to join the club that didn't give him a chance in the first place.

I'm sure there are loads of footballers, mainly British, who dream of playing for United though.

Considering how many players seem to have rejected us off late, I'm not too sure how much of an attraction we really are to some of these players.

There is no chance that Matic has a better passing range than Thiago. He can be a better fit because of his physicality (though I doubt it and always thought that Thiago would have been the perfect midfielder for us) but he's not better at passing (or in any technical ability).

I've always thought, as nice as Thiago would have been, he wasn't what we needed. We need a stronger player to play with and/or cover for Carrick when he's unavailable. Then we play Kagawa where he is best and the need for a creative midfielder is gone. That's my opinion anyway, and always has been.

No millionaire loves Manchester when they could live in Munich, Barcelona, Paris, London, Monaco or Madrid.

4ac620443a4e87aa2d410f4dd748dd95_large

Moyes giving the lads a piece of his mind Rafael (or Fabio) is looking at something else.

What's this got to do with the thread you posted it in?

I've always thought, as nice as Thiago would have been, he wasn't what we needed. We need a stronger player to play with and/or cover for Carrick when he's unavailable. Then we play Kagawa where he is best and the need for a creative midfielder is gone. That's my opinion anyway, and always has been.

That actually makes sense, sort of. Someone like Kondogbia/Veratti would be perfect alongside Carrick with Wazza/Kagawa playing in the hole behind the striker.

That actually makes sense, sort of. Someone like Kondogbia/Veratti would be perfect alongside Carrick with Wazza/Kagawa playing in the hole behind the striker.

I've always proposed a 4231, with a stronger player beside Carrick, RVP up top and a fluid 3 in behind.

I've always proposed a 4231, with a stronger player beside Carrick, RVP up top and a fluid 3 in behind.

Aye, the thought of Nani, Wazza and Kagawa behind RVP/Chicha has always been wankworthy as far as I'm concerned but, sadly, we rarely, if ever, saw those three playing simultaneously last season.

You've been playing 4231 since 2006.

Well, I suppose in a way. But with out and out winners, it's more a 442/4411. We've sometimes played a 433 too. Valencia doesn't really fit in a 4231, because he's too stuck in a wide right, hug the touchline position. For me a proper 4231 needs a more fluid 3 who switch positions,.and two defensively strong midfielders. We've never had two.

Well, I suppose in a way. But with out and out winners, it's more a 442/4411. We've sometimes played a 433 too. Valencia doesn't really fit in a 4231, because he's too stuck in a wide right, hug the touchline position. For me a proper 4231 needs a more fluid 3 who switch positions,.and two defensively strong midfielders. We've never had two.

We did have Carrick and Fletcher at one point of time playing pretty much as two DMs and also Hargreaves in 2007-08.

So why are so many millionaire players playing for Manchester clubs, and not in these other cities, or Rome, or Paris etc etc.l?

Those who play for Man City have been lured there by pay checks far beyond their level of talent, those who play for United were mostly made bigger players by coming here or are English and therefore the prospect of them moving abroad is a lot more remote. I have to agree with Peter on this one; Manchester as a place is quite a hindrance to attracting big name players from abroad, compared to other major club locations.

I really hope Anderson moves on, for his own good mostly. Im not sure Nani will be any less inconsistent under Moyes than Ferguson and Young I would take 12 million for right now. Moyes could be after multiple targets here and I imagine a strong ball winner would be the main target. So who are the top three ball winners available?

Well before Young arrived Valencia played very high in a lopsided 4231 with Giggs or Park effectively supplementing the CM and that's when he was at his most effective. Last season you played Rooney as the No.10 in a flatter structure (still not 4411 since the CMs are a lot deeper) but it didn't look to work too well (despite the points haul).

We did have Carrick and Fletcher at one point of time playing pretty much as two DMs and also Hargreaves in 2007-08.

I'd like to see us try and replicate that style. It was such a solid partnership. With Carrick's passing, plus a DM with drive and good technical ability, then there is also enough from an attacking point of view. Plus it'd give the front four a lot of freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.