Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

Which midfielder should Moyes buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me
Glaston is right. It seems that we either go for the very best (which we rarely get) or stick to what weve got (which is hardly of very good quality). Clubs like juventus and bayern has players like vidal and martinez cause they took a risk. Ffs we lost pogba because the gaffer opted of bringing scholes out of retirement rather then play him. We need to acknowledge our limitations and adjust to them. Theres a big gap in terms of quality between fabregas/iniesta and ando/cleverley
He definitely isn't right. He's bumming and blowing because Spurs have signed a Brazilian he probably had 't seen play before the Confederations Cup. He also hasn't got a fecking clue what Utd's policy on signing midfielders is.

Vidal cost Juventus around €12m iirc, he already was one of the three best CMs in Bundesliga at that time (scoring 10 goals, assisting 11, though some pens among that iirc. That was an absolute steal and little to no risk.

It was a risk considering that juve had previously spent millions on diego who proved to be a massive flop

What does Diego (who they bought two years earlier) have to do with Vidal?

Gundohan was my choice. Can't see us putting in the kind of offer that would force dortmund to think though. We should do the same as bayern did for Martinez and pay big money for him. He has the quality to justify it. Brilliant footballer. Best young central midfielder around IMO.

I agree, we are at the point where a bold move is needed and if it costs a premium then so be it, because if we wait much longer it wont be a case of getting a quality CM, it'll be just getting any CM as we sift through the leftovers.

What does Diego (who they bought two years earlier) have to do with Vidal?

Both were midfielders (diego is attacking midfielder similar to scholes at his prime) who were highly rated in germany after proving themselves with smaller sides. To be fair the safest bet seemed to be melo who had proven himself in the serie a. It didnt turned out well didnt it? Bottom line of the story you have to take risks unless you have unlimited funds

Paulinho's not just played in one tournament.
I'm not suggesting he has. I'm suggesting Glaston is basing his opinion on one tournament. Given that he keeps referencing one match in particular I'm not sure that's a stretch.

IMO, Paulinho is a very good player and will be one the signings of the year when we look back at the end of the season. For Spurs, the problem is that the rest of their midfield is either shit or very mediocre.
-----

I really want us to sign James McCarthy. I think he an excellent talent and will be an amazing player in the next couple of years. We should get him as an understudy to Carrick. He might have a higher ceiling than Carrick too.

Also, our presence from the Isles will deplete even further at the end of next season. I doubt that Rio and Giggs will continue beyond the season. We should look to add top available British/Irish talent and McCarthy fits perfectly under the criteria.

I don't mind us signing McCarthy as long as he isn't the only midfielder we sign. We need something we haven't got - a player who can hold the ball and beat a player. McCarthy is not that type of player - but he is certainly a step up from Anderson

My prefered realistic midfield signing would be portuguese player of the year Matic..Anyone whose first name is nemanja should be signed right away. He's a moster thats got the passing skills and a vicious long range shot that can only improve but he'll end up at Chelsea.

Moyes might go for a stop gap signing such as Cabaye or Banega or Xabi Alonso as Nick Powell could be pushing for a first team spot in a year and then theres the highly rated Andreas Pereira coming through also but he will be a few years away.

James McCarthy would be a great signing but doesn't have many goals in his locker and would need to improve that and does he offer much more than cleverley? I'm not so sure. But for the price he would be available for....he could be a long term solution to carrick and definitely would offer more to our squad then Anderson

Rakitic from seville and pjanic from Roma would be good options and would probably be available for the right price

Marchisio, modric, fabregas, vidal, Gundogan, etc will simply not be available for purchase this summer

That's not what he thinks though. He thinks we go for the wrong targets and should go for players like Paulinho on the back of one international tournament.

It's obvious tosh to imagine that Spurs did not spend a long time looking at Paulinho prior to signing him - and nor have I suggested that MUFC should sign anyone on the basis of one international tournament.

It's obvious tosh to imagine that Spurs did not spend a long time looking at Paulinho prior to signing him - and nor have I suggested that MUFC should sign anyone on the basis of one international tournament.
I didn't think Spurs signed him on that basis. I think you're basing your opinion that Utd should go for players like him rather than Thiago based on one tournament. How often had you seen him play before this summer?

Moyes might go for a stop gap signing such as Cabaye or Banega or Xabi Alonso as Nick Powell could be pushing for a first team spot in a year and then theres the highly rated Andreas Pereira coming through also but he will be a few years away.

I wouldn't mind Xabi Alonso on the cheap. World-class midfielder for me, it would be a mistake if Madrid sold him.

I keep reading he might be heading to Liverpool, hope its just the rumours..

I'd rather De Rossi than Alonso if we are going for experience. Alonso in similar to Carrick where as De Rossi will compliment Carrick nicely.

Paulinho isn't the solution anyway, I'm surprised you paid £17.5m for him because you didn't really need him. Likewise I'm a bit confused that you're using him as an example of the sort of player United should go for before he's even played in a proper European league (his failure in Poland 3 years ago doesn't count). Same Glaston who refused to rate Kagawa because he didn't play in England.

My prefered realistic midfield signing would be portuguese player of the year Matic..Anyone whose first name is nemanja should be signed right away. He's a moster thats got the passing skills and a vicious long range shot that can only improve but he'll end up at Chelsea.

I mentioned his name the other day as my preferred choice if we miss out on Thiago. I really think he could be a force to be reckoned with in the near future, a real monster in midfield. His dribbling and control is also very good too for such a big guy.

He'll go to Chelsea who will step up their interest and lodge a bid as soon as we become interested though.

Can we buy Spurs and force them relegation, since we can't compete in the same tournament, and name them Man United London reserves, or something?

Paulinho isn't the solution anyway, I'm surprised you paid £17.5m for him because you didn't really need him. Likewise I'm a bit confused that you're using him as an example of the sort of player United should go for before he's even played in a proper European league (his failure in Poland 3 years ago doesn't count). Same Glaston who refused to rate Kagawa because he didn't play in England.

Paulinho isn't the solution to what?

As for Kagawa, I merely refused to join in the generally sky-high rating he received on here before he'd actually kicked a ball in the Prem. I take the same attitude to Paulinho: from what I've seen he looks good, but it remains to be seen how well he'll adapt to the Prem.

Further on Kagawa: now that he has played in the Prem for one season, he looks OK, but not much more than that so far IMO.

Returning to my original point (and in the face of all the efforts to shift the main focus onto Paulinho), I still stand my view that MUFC have fallen between two stools when it comes to signing CMs in recent years: on the one hand you've pursued 'star names' but failed to get them, and on the other you've not set your sights wider and taken a somewhat riskier punt on CMs who might have proven/might prove to be an excellent signing (of which Paulinho is merely an example). And all this despite the general consensus that your CM is in great need of improvement if you wish to get closer to competing with the Barcas, RMs and Bayerns of this world.

If we sign a midfielder it will be someone unknown or slightly off the radar.

I don't think we will be in for Fellaini - if we get someone from Everton it will be Baines.

Well at least Moyes has openly admitted me we need to strengthen in CM, I'm hoping he wouldn't have done that unless he was sure we could get someone.

Paulinho isn't the solution to what?

As for Kagawa, I merely refused to join in the generally sky-high rating he received on here before he'd actually kicked a ball in the Prem. I take the same attitude to Paulinho: from what I've seen he looks good, but it remains to be seen how well he'll adapt to the Prem.

Further on Kagawa: now that he has played in the Prem for one season, he looks OK, but not much more than that so far IMO.

Returning to my original point (and in the face of all the efforts to shift the main focus onto Paulinho), I still stand my view that MUFC have fallen between two stools when it comes to signing CMs in recent years: on the one hand you've pursued 'star names' but failed to get them, and on the other you've not set your sights wider and taken a somewhat riskier punt on CMs who might have proven/might prove to be an excellent signing (of which Paulinho is merely an example). And all this despite the general consensus that your CM is in great need of improvement if you wish to get closer to competing with the Barcas, RMs and Bayerns of this world.

I don't think it's that. The only two star names that we've pursued are Sneijder (who isn't really a central midfielder) and Thiago. We've not exactly set our sights on unrealistic targets like Xavi, Iniesta or Schweinsteiger.

I do agree though that we haven't looked into the CM market enough. When you see players like Vidal and Gundogan who both joined their current teams for €10m or less after proving themselves for smaller clubs then you really do have to wonder what's been going on.

Looking at the Poll above, Fabregas, Wilshere and Gundogan are going nowhere and Thaigo has joined Bayern. The Caf's fifth choice is Strootman

The Thiago situation is where I think we miss the security of SAF being our manager, no matter how frustrating a transfer situation was I was never worried while Fergie was at the helm.

Looking at the Poll above, Fabregas, Wilshere and Gundogan are going nowhere and Thaigo has joined Bayern. The Caf's fifth choice is Strootman

And he's been widely linked with a move to Roma.

Strootman looks the most Carrick-esque of the 5.

Strootman that's what it has come down to. I doubt he will improve us as much as we would want, I may be wrong.

Strootman looks the most Carrick-esque of the 5.

We have Carrick first off we need a partner for him then a player to be his understudy/rotation/replacement.

Caf Poll:

76 - Fabregas
58 - Thiago Alcantara
34 - Gundogan
24 - Wilshire
13 - Strootman
8 - Modric
8 - Vidal
6 - Fellaini
4 - Wanyama
3 - Veratti
2 - Marchisio
2 - M'Vila
2 - Banega
1 - Sven Bender

Sven Bender has one vote, I wouldn't mind him nor his brother. It would be great if we could get both of the twins:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.