What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

What do we still need...

Two midfielders including a defensive midfielder.
A left winger to replace Rashford.
Probably a better keeper at some point but I do like Onana so I'm hoping he can be more consistent.
But most importantly we need a new manager, desperately.

Rabiot, Ugarte and Tony. Probably a new manager too but I'm sure those 3 would save his job and get us top 4.

Is there any point to keep buying players for this manager anymore? No matter what you get we would still play the same awful basketball game of football where we can’t defend to save our lives and can’t score to save our lives. I was so excited to get Ugarte and now it’s all drained.

I don’t like the over reliance on Mainoo. He’s too young to carry the whole team. He’s gassed by 60 mins. Casemiro is gassed not much later.

In my mind we need Ugarte + 1 other who can get on the ball and knock it around.

Plus we need a left winger to bench Rashford. We are again over reliant on him, he’s not producing goals and he’s not being creative either. How does that help us score goals? Get a winger who can stretch teams and be a threat
Definitely. Don’t see it happening though unfortunately.

Our wingers are average at best.

Please just get in Kvaratskhelia to replace Rashford next summer. I can't take it anymore. You just know exactly what's going to happen when Rashford gets the ball on the left and challenges the right back and it is hurting our offensive play so much

Realistically I think only Hannibal and McTominay will leave. Hannibal will be useful for other smaller clubs and McTominay should go to Napoli.

As Juventus have now signed two wingers I think the Sancho interest is over. At this rate I think our only hope with Sancho is loaning him out so we don't have to pay all of his wages for the season. The only club I think that will come in for him is Dortmund on deadline day, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was Sancho's and their plan all along. They wanted him but didn't want to pay the asking price. We're in a shitty position with him due to the wages and the contract running down. If we don't sell him this week it will be another costly scenario.

I doubt anyone signs Lindelof while he's injured. So this just leaves Eriksen as a possibility. I think if we can loan/sell for a small fee then we'll get another CM in.

I'd predict Ugarte and a CM come in, to replace Hannibal, McTominay and Eriksen. With the radio silence on Rabiot I think he's this year's Amrabat. A player who was told they might sign him but to be patient and the deal could happen on the last day.

The lack of noise on Rabiot is telling whereas there was much more concrete stuff with Amrabat last summer. Think we may have to accept it's Ugarte and then have to muddle through for LB/CM and proven goalscorer unfortunately

Last edited:
The lack of noise on Rabiot is telling whereas there was much more concrete stuff with Amrabat last summer. Think we may have to accept it's Ugarte and then have to muddle through for LB/CM and proven goalscorer unfortunately

The lack of noise from Rabiot's camp suggest that something is close to done and dusted on that front. I assume its United but we're waiting to seal the Ugarte deal first

What do we still need?

1) Sancho out the door. Terrible attitude and lack of respect for fans and team mates eg BVB images on his social media. Earache not mentioned today when out of squad. Swap him for Adeymi who is a frustrating player but at least works like a dog and has pace to burn. Subsidise his wages if so required. Alternatively get Chiesa/Coman in on loan.

2) Rashford dropped. ETH and Ineos need to show that output rather than past reputation is what counts. I think playing squad has changed so much that new arrivals and young players just want all players to be treated equally and will respond accordingly. He didn't engage with the media throughout the US tour and was the only player notably booed during the friendly with Liverpool. His confidence is shot and he hasn't evolved his game to cope with a loss of explosiveness. The situation could get toxic easily becoming a media circus and distract from the requirements of the team.

3) Macguire dropped. Tries hard but he simply isn't good enough. Lacks pace and you can tell that the goalkeeper and defensive team mates don't trust him to deal with crisp passes or receiving the ball under pressure. Our build up play would improve dramatically once he is out of the team and then club.

4) Ederson or Ugarte in ASAP as we need a physical beast with legs/pace and nous in midfield. Rogers from Villa would blast straight through our midfield. Collyler needs to start getting 20 mins at end of games to provide legs and physicality if we are ahead.

5) Ruud needs to coach the players on their finishing. Amad, Bruno, Casimero, Mount and Rashford need to all improve here. Mount never finds the corner.

6) Start looking for a left footed LB for January or next summer. Given Shaw’s injury track record we can't put our eggs in his basket whilst his priority is international football.

We are looking better. The RB has had a seamless start: Mitoma has been a thorn in our side in the past but was anonymous yesterday. We created enough chances against Brighton and Fulham.

I think Ten Hag is still desperately searching his Frankie De Jong type player. Why those link’s constantly come up. Unfortunately the player seems to have little interest in us. Its a shame Neves, Brozovic and Verratti all took early retirement in Saudi all the sort of players we need. I am all for Ugarte as Casimero legs are gone and he looks gassed after 60 minutes. But we also badly need that player who can dictate the play. Scholes was spot on. I am worried Mainoo will burn out with the amount of games we will be asked to play. Long story short we need to midfielders and a Left back . Shaw and Malacia are sick notes. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but do wonder if we should of gone one of De Ligt and Yoro found a cheaper alternative and gone big on the midfield.

I wonder how much it would cost to get Ruben Neves out of Saudi to play alongside Ugarte? Someone who’s got excellent passing

What do we still need...

Two midfielders including a defensive midfielder.
A left winger to replace Rashford.
Probably a better keeper at some point but I do like Onana so I'm hoping he can be more consistent.
But most importantly we need a new manager, desperately.

Completely agree with all of them but also gonna throw in LB and another number 9 too.

Onana was third choice at best but we thought Costa and Maignan weren't possible so took the Erik familiarity route signing instead

If we insist on playing with the manic pressing we'll need more midfielders and reliably fit fullbacks, because there's no way you can expect the starting 11 to finish the match.

I still don't understand why he didn't change one of Mainoo or Casemiro yesterday. They were absolutely gassed at the end. I mean it's probably because there was only really Collyer on the bench, but it still made the McT for Bruno sub look really weird.

Someone with a brain that can communicate on the pitch. Ideally a few players but for now I'll be grateful for one.

I love Bruno but this team plays like the captain.

I feel we need Ugarte and a midfielder that can control a game but I think the second won't be attainable this window

I feel we need Ugarte and a midfielder that can control a game but I think the second won't be attainable this window
I don’t think the latter exists in Hag-Ball

Defend - get the ball forward as quickly as possible - Defend - get the ball forward as quickly as possible - Defend etc

The ball is a hot coal

Defend - get the ball forward as quickly as possible - Defend - get the ball forward as quickly as possible - Defend etc

The ball is a hot coal

Yeah sadly I think you are right, absolute best we can hope for is Ugarte and either Reguilon on loan or proven goalscorer before window closes

The ball is a hot coal

He wanted de Jong, he is pretty much that player. It shouldn't be de Jong or nothing though. He used to talk about control in his post game interviews all the time. For some reason he gave up on it last season, but I'd imagine he would still be happy to have that type of player.

He wanted de Jong, he is pretty much that player. It shouldn't be de Jong or nothing though. He used to talk about control in his post game interviews all the time. For some reason he gave up on it last season, but I'd imagine he would still be happy to have that type of player.

Really looks like it's De Jong or nothing which like you say would be totally ridiculous

A lot of people here are now starting to realise the need for a ball playing midfielder, otherwise we will keep losing control of midfield.

But getting a first choice ball playing #8 means Mainoo drops to the bench, as that is Mainoo's position.

This is why I would have preferred a ball playing #6, who would play alongside Mainoo in a double pivot. That's not Ten Hag's vision it seems.

A lot of people here are now starting to realise the need for a ball playing midfielder, otherwise we will keep losing control of midfield.

But getting a first choice ball playing #8 means Mainoo drops to the bench, as that is Mainoo's position.

This is why I would have preferred a ball playing #6, who would play alongside Mainoo in a double pivot. That's not Ten Hag's vision it seems.

The need for a high intensity player behind Mainoo and Bruno is obvious. The need for someone with great ball playing skills to share the role with mainoo is also obvious, though secondary to the DM spot. If we can get both this window then it will have been a huge success.

Would you take Rabiot or not good enough on ball?

I hope that it’s not a case of ETH throwing a strop. If I can’t have him then it will be nobody

The player to be a controlling midfielder at the base while playing Mainoo as 8 (and Bruno as a 10) doesn't actually exist (who is available). You gotta take it in stages. Mainoo is developing so he needs his spot there, Ugarte is a great option to complement what we have and be able to rotate with either of the deep 2 we currently have. Bruno on the other hand is a top player but just you can't get a balanced midfield 3 with him and Mainoo that also has a deep controlling midfielder.

Long term, something like Wharton at the base, Ugarte providing energy and ball winning and Mainoo as more advanced balances a lot better as a proper midfield 3.

Beyond individuals, it's also just about the coaching of it. Ten Hag just doesn't ask them to dictate games in midfield. He wants us to pass the ball around the back and then asks the midfield guys to push really high up and be more direct.

Joao Neves has racked up 4 assists in 2 games at PSG. Playing real well there, and players of his profile(ballwinner + excellent on the ball), dont pop up in the market too often. I honestly see Modric level of potential here. Think we are gonna regret this one, it seemed at one point he really preferred the United move.

Long term, something like Wharton at the base, Ugarte providing energy and ball winning and Mainoo as more advanced balances a lot better as a proper midfield 3.
That midfield lacks any sort of real creativity imo. We still need a creative cm in there, someone in the Scholes/Gundogan/Modric mould to balance the midfield out. But considering we gave Bruno a new contract, and Mainoo is a guaranteed starter, I'm very confused at our balance in midfield, or lack thereof.

You either have a ball playing 6 with a ball winning 8, or have a ball winning 6 with ball playing 8.

Mainoo is a #8, but not a typical ball winner or ball playing type. He's more of a ball carrier, like a certain FdJ. Which is why I think finding a good partner for him is a bit tricky in many ways, since he is a unique player. But also lets not forget Mainoo came up as a #6 in the academy iirc, he can easily play alongside a Thiago/Xabi Alonso type imo.

If we get in Ugarte we will have :

Ugarte - ball winning #6/#8
Collyer- ball winning #6/#8
Mainno - ball progressing #8

So imo to balance it out we will need a ball playing #6/#8.

That midfield lacks any sort of real creativity imo. We still need a creative cm in there, someone in the Scholes/Gundogan/Modric mould to balance the midfield out. But considering we gave Bruno a new contract, and Mainoo is a guaranteed starter, I'm very confused at our balance in midfield, or lack thereof.

You either have a ball playing 6 with a ball winning 8, or have a ball winning 6 with ball playing 8.

Mainoo is a #8, but not a typical ball winner or ball playing type. He's more of a ball carrier, like a certain FdJ. Which is why I think finding a good partner for him is a bit tricky in many ways, since he is a unique player. But also lets not forget Mainoo came up as a #6 in the academy iirc, he can easily play alongside a Thiago/Xabi Alonso type imo.

It's just a bit of patch work while we're going through the transition. A midfield of Wharton, Ugarte and mainoo shouldn't lack creativity because Wharton has huge potential as a deep passer and Mainoo is really creative and would develop as the most advanced of the 3. It's potentially a really good 3, it just needs also top wingers (which are needed anyway). So that's why I'd say we should prioritize Wharton and Kvara next summer. I get Ugarte now and long term, but the tactics need to improve regardless. There's no single signing that makes everything perfect, that should be what we build to eventually around Mainoo and it should tie in to the tactics we want to play. Want to control games with deep passing, then Mainoo should be an advanced playmaker.

There is no doubt we need one, however Erik just doesn't value possession enough so unless their name is De Jong he's not interested

It's just a bit of patch work while we're going through the transition. A midfield of Wharton, Ugarte and mainoo shouldn't lack creativity because Wharton has huge potential as a deep passer and Mainoo is really creative and would develop as the most advanced of the 3. It's potentially a really good 3, it just needs also top wingers (which are needed anyway). So that's why I'd say we should prioritize Wharton and Kvara next summer. I get Ugarte now and long term, but the tactics need to improve regardless. There's no single signing that makes everything perfect, that should be what we build to eventually around Mainoo and it should tie in to the tactics we want to play. Want to control games with deep passing, then Mainoo should be an advanced playmaker.
I think its a mess atm because Mainoo, Mount, Bruno and Ugarte are all vastly different profiles. Take one out or rearrange things a bit, and it starts to lose balance and look like a jigsaw with a permanently missing piece.

2 midfielders and a LB is urgently needed. I would sell Rashford to get Williams in in a dream scenario

Mainoo is a typical ball-playing type, very much in the mould of a Gundogan or Modric. He's also demonstrated that he can excel both as a 6 or 8, though the latter does seem his natural and best position.

Achieving balance is straightforward - find a ball-winner. Ugarte does that - he's a 6. He also makes using Eriksen much more palatable, so we have someone else already in the squad who can come in for Mainoo and provide something in possession.

Mainoo is a typical ball-playing type, very much in the mould of a Gundogan or Modric.

I kinda disagree. Mainoo is a great technical ballcarrier, but he's not one to take 90 touches of the ball in a game, controlling the pace of the game with his passing. In that sense he's more of an Iniesta than a Xavi.

Eriksen would be great, but he's not even had a look in this season, leading me to believe his fitness levels are a huge concern. We basically need a Eriksen type who is not poor off the ball.

Long term this profile of player is what we need to phase Bruno out.