What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

The fact that Liverpool are apparently going to get Chiesa for 13 million makes me want to vomit.

We should have been snapping Juve's hand off for that. He'd immediately be the best winger in our squad.

The fact that Liverpool are apparently going to get Chiesa for 13 million makes me want to vomit.

We should have been snapping Juve's hand off for that. He'd immediately be the best winger in our squad.
Do we have a quota of injury-prone players we need to maintain or something, now that Jones, Martial and Varane have left the building? I saw a stat earlier, since 2021/22, Chiesa has missed 80 matches through injuries (420 days). That’s horrific.

Maybe injury record has put us off, not saying that's the right thing but we have been burnt by injured players

We need a 20 goal a season striker. Then we need a season of letting the existing weaknesses show themselves followed by another fruitful summer window. We’ve had a good window so far hopefully afew more outgoings to get over the line. We’ll be fighting for 4th with a better balanced squad if we can get that striker in.

We need a 20 goal a season striker. Then we need a season of letting the existing weaknesses show themselves followed by another fruitful summer window. We’ve had a good window so far hopefully afew more outgoings to get over the line. We’ll be fighting for 4th with a better balanced squad if we can get that striker in.

If we're wasting chances for fun and creating 2 or 3 xG a game then we need a top striker, right now we need a midfield that controls games, I think we need a controlling midfielder currently. One that can spray passes, always involved, coming for the ball.

I'd say we still need LB, midfielder who's good in possesion, (at least) one winger and a experienced striker. So that's 4. Perhaps even a GK depending on how Onana does this season.

Where is that 20 goal a season striker?

Do we have a quota of injury-prone players we need to maintain or something, now that Jones, Martial and Varane have left the building? I saw a stat earlier, since 2021/22, Chiesa has missed 80 matches through injuries (420 days). That’s horrific.

He played in 37 matched for Juve last season. For not even 15 million I'd say he's well worth taking a punt on.

For the first time in ages, I personally think we have plugged gaping holes in the starting XI and squad. No, it’s not perfect, far from it, but for areas where weaknesses still exist, I think there’s a lot of potential from younger players to step up. I don’t think we will necessarily solve all problems through transfers, not in the remaining days of the summer window for sure, but through developing existing players over the season and reassess next summer.

Really controversial take probably, but I think Darwin Nunez would be available from Liverpool (doubt they sell to us).

He did his cruciate in January 2022. That accounted for the vast majority of that absence. He still managed to play 70 games for Juventus over the past two seasons.

Really controversial take probably, but I think Darwin Nunez would be available from Liverpool (doubt they sell to us).

United and Liverpool will never do business directly with one another again. That being said, if you offered Darwin to us today I'd take him for sure.

A player that can play LB and LCB would complete our defensive squad now. Hancko/Hincapie/Branthwaite

A CM that can rotate with Mainoo would complete our midfield squad.

A right winger capable of starting would complete our attack.

How the hell have INEOS got us to within 3 players of a great squad, in one window. fecking shows how bad the old leadership were, and that the fans weren't crazy to think it was possible all along.

A player that can play LB and LCB would complete our defensive squad now. Hancko/Hincapie/Branthwaite

A CM that can rotate with Mainoo would complete our midfield squad.

A right winger capable of starting would complete our attack.

How the hell have INEOS got us to within 3 players of a great squad, in one window. fecking shows how bad the old leadership were, and that the fans weren't crazy to think it was possible all along.

Who would be your top target out of those players capable of playing LCB and LB?

A proper no. 8 to compete with mainoo and reduce what might fast be becoming an over reliance on him.

Don't think we need a striker or a left back as we should put our faith in what we have and look to develop youngsters. Perhaps a winger might be needed for next season if Antony, Sancho and rashford all leave.

We still need more goals. Desperately. Since the SAF era we have lost the "if you score four, we will score more mentality".

Look at Liverpool adding Chiesa to an already formidable attack....which could quite easily hit 100 goals:
Salah 20-30
Nunez 10-20
Jota 10-20
Diaz 5-10
Gakpo 5-10
Chiesa 5-10
50-100 goals

Whilst our attack looks promising it lacks the goals. We need to add regular goal scorers to our forward line. Hopefully Ruud can provide insight, confidence and guidance as coach:
Rasmus 5-10
Zirkzee 10-15
Rashford 10-15 (if switches on)
Garnacho 5-10
Amad 1-5
Antony 0-2
Sancho...set to leave
30-60 goals

United and Liverpool will never do business directly with one another again. That being said, if you offered Darwin to us today I'd take him for sure.
Again? Implying something happened that stopped that?

I was under the impression we never did deals out of principle alone.

For the first time in ages, I personally think we have plugged gaping holes in the starting XI and squad. No, it’s not perfect, far from it, but for areas where weaknesses still exist, I think there’s a lot of potential from younger players to step up. I don’t think we will necessarily solve all problems through transfers, not in the remaining days of the summer window for sure, but through developing existing players over the season and reassess next summer.

Agree. Still think we need a solid LB, midfielder and winger but I'm content with the in- and outgoings and the team that we have now. Defense has been revamped, we got our DM, we got two young strikers and young talent all around. It's on ETH now to make something of it this season.

Who would be your top target out of those players capable of playing LCB and LB?
I like David Hancko as the best LB out of the three. Decent value too for approx 30m. Hincapie is only around 22/23 years old too so some great options to develop into important players.

We still need more goals. Desperately. Since the SAF era we have lost the "if you score four, we will score more mentality".

Look at Liverpool adding Chiesa to an already formidable attack....which could quite easily hit 100 goals:
Salah 20-30
Nunez 10-20
Jota 10-20
Diaz 5-10
Gakpo 5-10
Chiesa 5-10
50-100 goals

Whilst our attack looks promising it lacks the goals. We need to add regular goal scorers to our forward line. Hopefully Ruud can provide insight, confidence and guidance as coach:
Rasmus 5-10
Zirkzee 10-15
Garnacho 5-10
Amad 1-5
Antony 0-2
Sancho...set to leave
30-60 goals

Lowballing Rasmus he’s good for 12-17 easily like last season.

Lowballing Rasmus he’s good for 12-17 easily like last season.

Seriously starting to get worried about his injury record. He has the capability to finish most chances, but as they say, availability is the best capability.

Players I wanted us to sell/release/loan out this summer (bolded ones left/are to leave in few days):

Varane, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, van de Beek, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial.

Sancho could still stay but do believe it'll be done in time. That leaves the list with Lindelof, Casemiro and Eriksen. There are rumours that Lazio are interested in Lindelof but it's too late (and he's still injured iirc), Casemiro is obviously staying and then there's interest from Ajax in Eriksen but no developments there either it seems. Those 3 will probably leave in next few windows (January, next summer).

Obviously we also sold Hannibal, Pellistri and that left back Fernandez. Really good summer in terms of outgoing transfers.

We need a high scoring winger. We have committed the money into our strikers and like it or not, they're the options for the next few years. So lets hope they work out.

But regardless of a striker, every title winning side needs a clinical high scoring winger. There just doesnt seem to be any around, hopefully there is a breakout player this year.

Players I wanted us to sell/release/loan out this summer (bolded ones left/are to leave in few days):

Varane, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, van de Beek, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial.

Sancho could still stay but do believe it'll be done in time. That leaves the list with Lindelof, Casemiro and Eriksen. There are rumours that Lazio are interested in Lindelof but it's too late (and he's still injured iirc), Casemiro is obviously staying and then there's interest from Ajax in Eriksen but no developments there either it seems. Those 3 will probably leave in next few windows (January, next summer).

Obviously we also sold Hannibal, Pellistri and that left back Fernandez. Really good summer in terms of outgoing transfers.
I wouldn't even worry about Lindelof and Eriksen. They're bit players with no transfer fees to amortize whose contract is expiring at the end of the year, and won't fetch much in return. It'd be a bit of savings if we got their wages off the books, but it doesn't really make all that much difference.

McT was great business and AWB + Greenwood were solid deals. If we can sell Sancho it'll probably be a great deal too.

There's still a number of long-term contracts hanging over this team though. Those are the ones to worry about:

2026 expirees: Casemiro (massive wages + transfer amortization; he's costing 4x what Eriksen does), Sancho
2027 expirees: Antony
2028 expirees: Mount and Rashford depending on your view. I still have some hope for these two

Douglas Luiz just moved to Serie A and we didn't ever try to get him in. Are we now banned from making quality deals from this league or what in the hell?

We watched this guy be the best player in his position for two season and we casually let him go to another league while hanging on to freaking McTom.

Earlier than now we used to dominate this league both on pitch and outside of it.

Seems like a conspiracy to me to keep us down because how are we consistently making overpriced, underwhelming deals especially in this league?

An ageing Erikson, a finished Evans, Maguire, Wan-bissaka. The latest being the Mount deal still feels sore in my throat. All feels like a conspiracy to keeps us out.. or are we just fecking incompetent in dealing with other clubs?

How are we so bad that since RVP we have not had any reliable striker or a balanced midfield ? It is all been shambles since the old man retired TBF.

Ivan Toney is a must-get because come on.. Kids heading our attacks ffs. Not good!

And for the life of me.. can I witness a truly dominant midfield in my lifetime because sick of being dominated by every single team in this world *flashes of last season's horror*

Uguarte signing is quite underwhelming.. Feels like an upgraded overpriced version of Mctominay.

Can't we try for Bruno Guimares. What's the situation with him?

I'd say depth is solid now, apart from LB, but we obviously lack quality. So for next summer I'd guess a top winger, a #6/8 to replace Casemriro and an LB (unless Malacia or Amass emerges or I guess Shaw plays 40+ games and one of them looks ready to be a good backup).

-------------------------Hojlund/Zirkzee
Winger/Rashford---Bruno/Mount------Garnacho/Amad
-----------------------Mainoo/CM------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------Ugarte/CM----------------------------
Shaw/LB------Lisandro/Yoro---De Ligt/Yoro-------Dalot/Mazraoui
--------------------------------Onana/GK2---------------------------------

And then you presumably have Collyer or the new signing from Mali as the 6th central mid type with the other on loan, and a 4th CB is either Maguire sticking around, though if it's an LCB that could be in the LB mix like a Califiori or Hancko type if we'd have gone for one this summer, or maybe Hincapie.

So yeah, depth is better, time to start chasing an absolute whale at LW like Kvara or Nico Williams and a good deeper midfielder who can play with Mainoo or Ugarte, probably a left-footed defender.

United have shown themselves to be opportunists with Yoro....

I predict next Summer the focus could well be....

An elite striker if Rasmus doesn't show potential. A striker to be a backup if he does.

An elite wide attacking player. Like the talk above about Kvarva or Williams

A Casemiro replacement perhaps

Evans replacement

optional

A left back depending on Shaw/Malacia fitness and Amass development

One more CM after Ugarte. But we are skint. However, it will mean we will still struggle this season

This is a must. Though the idea of Rashford and his gigantic wages as a backup player, sickens me.
Might work out, though.

1 - If Casemiro and Antony go out next summer we'll probably save money or be around even overall on wages again, even if we do manage to get a star winger on 250-300K a week.

2 - Rashford might go from a struggling starter to a good backup if he has a similar job to say Trossard who comes on with 20-30 minutes to go against tired defenders. Even if that sort of player is worth about half his wages, we'll need quality bench options, particularly with McTominay's goals off the bench leaving (obviously he was a bad overall midfielder but he did prove a decent option for providing some punch off the bench).

3 - Rashford might want to leave and maybe someone will buy him, though you'd figure he'd need to take a wage cut or maybe just move for a small figure.

Though to be fair, I kinda doubt the odds of Kvara or Nico Williams choosing us over the other big clubs right now. The young Brazilian wingers seem to have been bought, but presumably some players will break out this year.

We need a winger or two as the next priority

We could bring in a world class striker but you'd still have Rashford stinking up the left side, and inevitably you'd have to call on Antony at some point. Amad isn't a guaranteed success either.

Might work out, though.

1 - If Casemiro and Antony go out next summer we'll probably save money or be around even overall on wages again, even if we do manage to get a star winger on 250-300K a week.

2 - Rashford might go from a struggling starter to a good backup if he has a similar job to say Trossard who comes on with 20-30 minutes to go against tired defenders. Even if that sort of player is worth about half his wages, we'll need quality bench options, particularly with McTominay's goals off the bench leaving (obviously he was a bad overall midfielder but he did prove a decent option for providing some punch off the bench).

3 - Rashford might want to leave and maybe someone will buy him, though you'd figure he'd need to take a wage cut or maybe just move for a small figure.

Though to be fair, I kinda doubt the odds of Kvara or Nico Williams choosing us over the other big clubs right now. The young Brazilian wingers seem to have been bought, but presumably some players will break out this year.
Agree with your potential scenarios. My main issue comes down to purely the principle of having a backup/squad player on £350k a week. Also, Rashford would need to massively improve just to reach that Trossard level and as you stated, even then that isn't a standard that justifies those crazy wages.

In my view, there are three "possible" outcomes, one of which simply must occur.

1) Rashford reaches his top level consistently year after year (Salah style). Problem solved.

2) Rashford improves on his current level to that befitting of a reliable and important squad player (Trossard style). He accepts that this is his role moving forward and takes a huge wage cut to reflect his new status. Problem solved.

3) We make every effort to sell Rashford. Problem solved.

All three outcomes may appear to be completely unrealistic and I'll let you decide for yourself which of those options are more likely to occur. The one thing we can't do though is continue to kick the can down the road and leave things as they are.

We still need another CM. We are a couple of Injuries away from having Casemiro and Erisken at the base again. There must be a cheap gem somewhere in europe or even the championship out there. Gilmour going for 12 million could of been a clever deal. But brighton would probably ask double what Napoli had accepted.

Salah 20-30
Nunez 10-20
Jota 10-20
Diaz 5-10
Gakpo 5-10
Chiesa 5-10
50-100 goals

Rasmus 5-10
Zirkzee 10-15
Garnacho 5-10
Amad 1-5
Antony 0-2
Sancho...set to leave
30-60 goals
You’re doing a disservice there to Rasmus. He scored 15 last season, no reason to think he’d score less